Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

I submitted my packet

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/07, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I submitted my packet

For those of you who don't know, I am in the Army stationed here at Redstone. I was working as an instructor but recently became a platoon sergeant of soldier who are retraining into another career field.

Currently I have 58 soldiers who report to me......it takes up ALL of my time as of now. For instance, I will go to work @ 4:30.....Not wake up....but be at work at that time. I probably won't get off until 6pm. It sucks for now but I hope that it will be short lived.

I am currently an E-6/Staff Sergeant, but was selected for E-7/Sergeant First Class this year. After getting selected, I realized that I was promoting myself away from a field that I enjoy working in. (Ordnance)
I would still be in the Ammunition Field as an E-7, but work more in an administrative capacity, than where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

I decided that I would put in a packet to become a Warrant Officer, a Warrant Officer is a officer who is specialized in one particular field. This will allow me to continue to work in my field.

I had held off for awhile because I was progressing quickly in the enlisted field until I attended a Warrant Officer Recruiting Brief. What was the entire sales pitch of the recruiter.....More money, More money, more money. I thought, what about greater responsibility, ability to guide and influence more personnel and help shape the career field. So I have officially put in my packet, If I can only take away one slot from some person who is only there for the $$ then that will make me happy.

The board is in September, so I should know by October sometime. If that doesn't work out for some reason, I have also begun the process to apply for the Asymetrical Warfare Group in Washington DC, A friend in the field is there and asked for a hand. I think it seems like an interesting place to work at.

Either Way....I've got to get out of a training post....To political for me. We have some great people working here, and I have met some great people through the club (learned a little too), But I feel I need to get out of here soon. I figure I should be gone either way by next summer.

Wish me luck.
Old 8/3/07, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Good luck to you Gary. You deserve it.

And more money isn't a bad thing.
Old 8/3/07, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

agreed.....good luck to you and getting more mod money! <---I'm shallow
Old 8/3/07, 07:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Gary, I commend your reasons. You make me proud.
Old 8/3/07, 07:56 AM
GT Member

Good luck Gary. More money is a good thing but if that's the only reason you had for going WO then I would think something is wrong. Hoepfully your additude and morals will whow thru and get you the slot.
Old 8/3/07, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

good luck man, im looking at becoming civilian EOD with my company, do dont leave to fast i might need you to train me up. The Marines would like that too.
Old 8/3/07, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Best of luck, wishing you every success
Old 9/29/07, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Got picked up.....waiting for a school date now!!!
Old 9/30/07, 06:35 PM
GT Member

Way to Gary!! I hope it turns out the way you want. Good luck with school and the rest of your career keeping us safe.
Old 10/1/07, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Congrats! Let us know when you know more.
Old 10/1/07, 07:16 PM

Gary,

This is great news!!! I've had a handful of friends go warrant, and it was the best decision they ever made.

Let us know what happens....I've made more than one trip down to Rucker for WOCS graduation......may have drive the Shelby down for yours!!!
Old 10/2/07, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the words. I'll let you know more as soon as I get the info.

Pray for an early class date!
Old 12/16/07, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Got my class date!!!! I report to Rucker in May of 08. I will finish my 2nd part of Training at the end of Aug. I'll be gone from here after that. So after you figure that I will take leave before going to school, I should be out of my job by April: ONLY 4 MORE MONTHS!!!!!!!!!

Kinda sad about leaving, I really love the area. I've met some great people here as well, but I never have time to do anything with them because of work.

I think as a warrant officer my quality of life should be better and allow me some more time to enjoy my family and hobbies.

Right now my life consisits of Wake up @ 3:30, work from 04:00-05:15, PT from 05:30-06:30, Do more work from 0630-07:30. Go home and shower/help with the kids so the wife can shower from 07:30-08:15, Work from 08:25-18:00 or even as late as 19:30. Plus I have to deal with all the stupid stuff that some of the soldiers do, that I get called to take care of at midnight-DUI's, arrested for _________(insert stupid decision here).

Then the other stuff- Failure to pay child support, Domestic issues..........I'm tired of having to tell people: Yes, you have to pay your bills. No, You can't drink and drive. Yes, You have to clean your room, Yes, Children really do have to eat and need $ to get groceries. The list goes on and on and on and on...........

By the way, If someone needs to know something in the company.....they don't go to the 1SG or the CDR......They come to me, for EVERYTHING. I cannot continue to try and be everything to everybody.

Right now my current tasks are 89B Platoon Sergeant, 89D Platoon Sergeant, Inactive student Platoon Sergeant, Operations Sergeant, I play 1SG when the 1SG is gone, Training NCO, Equal Opp NCO, Plus I have to help on supply stuff because our supply guy isn't that great,.....key control......barracks.........etc, etc.

I'm not looking for sympathy, just trying to explain that it's not that I don't love you guys.........But I have to get out of here.

By the time I get home I'm so beat I don't have any energy for the kids or wife.

My goal though is to do a NASA event before I get out of here.....Otherwise Mberglo will never let me live it down.
Old 12/16/07, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your reasoning is quite sound. If you want to know what politics is all about though become a police officer...politics can drive you around the bend. I have a submitted a different type of packet and am retiring ( after 32 years) next year. The job is great but the political environment sucks. A long cruise though in the mustang makes me realize its just a job or a means to and end so why worry.
Old 12/16/07, 09:31 AM

Congrats! Many Congrats!

Although, speaking from prior experience, we all know that the NCO is the backbone of the Army. But then, after time that back begins to ache. I am very happy for you and know that this will only enhance your career and present many oppurtunities for you.

God Bless! And have a Happy Holiday Season!

God Bless the U.S. Troops oversees protecting our freedom everyday!
Old 12/16/07, 07:18 PM
Cobra Member

I just got off the phone with the Rucker schoolhouse. They said you can do the Barber event in October.
Old 12/17/07, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Congrats, Gary - hope the time passes quickly for you!
Old 12/17/07, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I hope an event is in the cards for me prior to leaving. Maybe even better, pray I'll be at Campbell and be able to make it to some south-east events at Barbour and RA when I have a job that I don't work 70-80 hours a week.
Old 12/19/07, 09:56 PM

Congrats, Gary! My Dad was EOD his entire career...many of those years spent here at Redstone, plus Vietnam, so I grew up hearing all about what y'all have to put up with. I'm happy that you're following your dream.

Irish
Old 3/20/08, 05:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Well,
I finally relenquish my duties as a Platoon Sergeant for the Students this Friday!!!!
From there I will spend the remainder of my time here completing a buch of stuff for school.

I also found out that I am going to Korea. I don't mind going there, but I had wanted to go to a big divisional post like Campbell, Bragg, or Drum. It kills me, I actually WANT to go to a place that deploys and they send me to Korea..................Oh well, I guess I should just take it as a gift and enjoy.

Either way, The V6 will go to my parents house and the Cobra will get put into storage when I leave here. I'll save up some mod money while I'm there.

Quick Reply: I submitted my packet