Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Fox my dad may be buying

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/07, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox my dad may be buying

Need some opinions here... a buddy of ours is offering it to use as it sits (all parts to put it back together comes with it) Hes asking $2600 to us for it as it sits..we have to put it back together.

Car is bored out to a 306, has a cam.. rest is stock. Needs a new vert top (only $150!) Otherwise a pretty nice car.

Heres the main problem.. the cyl. walls in the engine.. the top of them have a 1/4" spot from the top its kinda a notch.. i cant really explain it.. but its thicker at the top of the walls than further down. Someone said its a old racers trick? My dad says the cyl walls are wore out? But pauls drvove the car and it doesnt smoke, runs very strong.. anybody know??
Heres the pics of it...

Old 8/9/07, 11:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd buy it for as clean as it appears.
Old 8/10/07, 02:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShowGT
I'd buy it for as clean as it appears.

Thats what im telling my father! The body is straight. Its been hit in the drivers fender at some point. New fender added but the inside fener well was dented up and was ghetto fixed. Otherwise its straight and clean.

I'm hoping he goes after it.. it would be a fun car to have around lol
Old 8/10/07, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlueSnake1013

Heres the main problem.. the cyl. walls in the engine.. the top of them have a 1/4" spot from the top its kinda a notch.. i cant really explain it.. but its thicker at the top of the walls than further down. Someone said its a old racers trick? My dad says the cyl walls are wore out? But pauls drvove the car and it doesnt smoke, runs very strong.. anybody know??
Heres the pics of it...
That is wear - some guy is trying to pull the wool over your eyes by saying it's "an old racer's trick"! Means probably needs an overbore of at least .030 over - then that will mean new pistons and rings.
Old 8/10/07, 07:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Uh, new vert top for $150?

It's not a bad deal.
I sure enjoyed building mine.
Old 8/10/07, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

no way the top is that cheap...doesn't happen. and that just means the cylinders are worn, my 89 which had close to 200,000 miles was the same way.
Old 8/10/07, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might could buy a convertible top that cheap but more than likely would be "cheap". Call AutoCenter Upholstery in Huntsville if you want to know what it really cost, parts and labor. Just curious, how does it run so well with the heads off ? Decent looking body in the pics but you might want to get it up on lift and really check it out. It's too bad that you can't see under the paint. Many people have purchased a car with good paint only later to find out it was a bondo buggy underneath.
Old 8/10/07, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why are the heads and intake off of the car - was there some problem? I'd also check out the trans as it appears to not be in the car. New T5's can be expensive unless you get Ralph to rebuild one for you...
Old 8/10/07, 11:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Greg G
Call AutoCenter Upholstery in Huntsville if you want to know what it really cost, parts and labor.
Lynn at Rod's Customs did mine for just shy of $800 two years ago. It's an Electron Top. Took a full day.

http://www.electrontop.com/
Old 8/10/07, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mgreene
New T5's can be expensive unless you get Ralph to rebuild one for you...
*grins*
I've already helped a couple of folks with theirs.
Old 8/10/07, 12:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mgreene
Why are the heads and intake off of the car - was there some problem?
That one shot has me wondering... Is #6 burning oil?

Also, I guess you know there would be a ridge, correct? You are not talking about the carbon ridge, right? They make ridge cutters for that so that you can clean the carbon ring and pop out the pistons.

It's just hard to see with that picture if it is just carbon or really metal that you are talking about.
Old 8/10/07, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

well.. the guy lied to me..talked to some other folks and did some research the bottom end is a stocker. Stock pistons everything. Cyl walls are wore the fugg out.. and have oversized rings in it to keep em from smoking and using oil.

My dads also worried about the fact its been hit in the drivers side fender. He doesnt like the looks of the shock tower. '

And yes you can get a vert top for $149 through 50 resto. Thats no back glass or underliner. Just the top.. which is all we needed.

If anyone here is looking for a fox let me know I have pics of 4 others that are pretty nice.
Old 8/11/07, 02:01 PM

If you could get it right, then it would still be a good deal. Body is straight and looks good. Interior looks as if someone were converting it from red to gray, but otherwise, car LOOKS good. And a 5.0 motor is cheap to rebuild. Personally, I'd stroke it to a 331 and play with it from there. As far as the front end damage, if it's in front of the shock tower, not a hard fix. 50resto also sells the inner fenders from shock tower forward pretty cheap. Most foxes that were hit in the front end are crumpled as well. You should see my old fox. But they are easy to fix.

Get him down on price a good bit and buy it. Would be a fun project.
Old 8/11/07, 08:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 98Stanger
As far as the front end damage, if it's in front of the shock tower, not a hard fix.
Yep, my 84 has been hit on both sides and the front shoved over both directions.
Old 8/11/07, 09:02 PM

$73.95 a piece. Not a bad price and not too hard to swap. Heck they are so thin anyways, that removing and installing the battery can mess them up. Fix it. Worth the money if you can get it right. I wouldn't give up on it just because of some previous damage. Gonna be hard pressed to find a fox that's never had damage as old as they are. If you do, be prepared to pay dearly for it.
Old 8/12/07, 12:46 AM
Bullitt Member

the interior hasnt been converted.. the seats are white leather and are just cracked and dirrrty lol

Anyone know how hard it would be tp replaced that inner fender??

Were working on a price now. Trying to jew the guy down to around $2,000 him keep the POS motor. I know where a totaled out 89 GT vert is for $1200. Clean interior, GREAT running motor and 5 speed tranny. The motor in it i do believe is a stoker.. it revs up very very quickly. Theres something done to it i know lol Its a non fixable car though.. but everything is there and pretty clean. Someone had a lot of money in it before it got hit. Will keep ya up to date on it... hopefully somethin will go through Ive wanted a fox GT for a long long time now. I think around 13 years?
Old 8/12/07, 09:19 AM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's just spotwelded into place. Shouldn't be hard to replace.
Old 8/12/07, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

oh yeah forgot to reply to some of the other posts.

yes you can get just the standard top for $150 through 50 resto. This doesnt come with a back glass nor the inside liner. The car has both and are in great shape. So thats why the top is so cheap.

The car originaly had aftermarket heads, upper/lower intake, tb, all that kinda stuff on it and has a cam in it. It is being left in it. The car is currntly being reverted back to stock. My hubby found the car about a month or so ago..chcked it out then when it still had all the parts on it. Car ran good then no somoke..he drove it no smoke..drove well and handled well.

As for replaceing that inner pannel.. where did you get the photo? Where can I order it from?

Also if we got this... anybody know where I can get an auto tranny for it?
Old 8/12/07, 03:37 PM

You can order that panel from 50resto.com. That pic is actually of one from a 94-98, and but in their catalog, they DO show them for a foxbody. I believe the price is around the same.
Old 8/12/07, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlueSnake1013
If anyone here is looking for a fox let me know I have pics of 4 others that are pretty nice.
I would like to see the pics...

Quick Reply: Fox my dad may be buying