Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

First Impressions

Old 11/19/09, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First Impressions

Just wanted to share some observations for discussion. Let me say up front that is is not intended to be critical but constructive.

I had the opportunity to go to the meeting the other night for the first time in a long time. In fact I think the last meeting I went to was at a pizza place in the old Office Depot shopping center ( I think it is a furniture store now).

First let me say that I did walk in a few minutes after 7PM and the meeting had started. Bill McEwen acknowledged me with a head nod as did Skip when I sat down next to him. Then there was the comment from the peanut gallery of "Who let him in?". Other than that I was a little surprised that no one publicly welcomed me or asked me to introduce my self. For me that was not really a big deal but it might be for someone brand new walking in the door. In fact to most people in the room I was someone brand new.

Secondly I was surprised that the meeting consisted of old business, new business, a trip recap, games and that was it. I would have thought there would have been some kind of how to or FYI presentation.

The room seemed kind of tight and the booths made it difficult to see anyone but those at the table with you. My $12 burger, fries and drink were good but not $12 worth.

When the meeting was over I stood up and just kind of lingered for a few minutes but no one said anything to me. I went up and introduced myself to Ralph and asked for a membership form. I filled out the form noting that it asked about my family so I assume it is a family oriented club. I wrote a check and handed in my forn and chatted a minute with Ralph and again just lingered for a few more minutes.

Bill Tucker did ask if I was Ken and Greg's brother and I responded. Then someone (same someone as before) commented that he "Didn't know the let Dxxx Heads in there". I don't really care what people say to me but what kind of first impression will this give to real visitors? My 15 year old daughter wanted to come to the meeting with me but she had homework. I would not want to subject her to this kind of treatment or language. I know this is just one individuals personality and the bark is bigger than the bite however how would it be perceived by an outsider? Is it really a family environment?

That being said I was just curious to your take on things. Is the club (as a whole) best representing the mission that Ralph stated was used on the parade commentary? Are the meetings about promoting the enthusiasm and preservation of Mustangs or are the meetings merely a social gathering where you chit chat, eat and go home?

Bill
Old 11/19/09, 05:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Hi Bill,

First, I wish that your experience was a bit better. I did not catch you coming in or I would have asked you to introduce yourself. I usually find new people - and even people that have only been there a time or two - so that they may introduce themselves to the people that are there. I wish I had some other excuse for not catching you when you came in. I do not know every member and when the comment was made of "Who let him in?", I figured that it was from someone that knew you and that you were a member of the club I am just not familiar with.

I would love to have HowTo presentations of such. We used to have them now and then. I have asked for folks to present. I am open to this as I am sure some other people are. I would also like submissions that I can put in the newsletter. I feel that the club has a wealth of knowledge about Mustangs, Fords, and vehicles of all types.
the meetings are running about an hour these days, and I feel that is all that the attention can be held for. the meeting venue is certainly good to get the active club members involved in the activities that we have.

I cannot talk to the comment you heard.

Let me ask you - what agenda would you like to follow for the meeting?
Old 11/19/09, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Ah, Bill. Always fun to stir the pot. I'll bite.

As you stated, you showed up late. You missed the part where Ralph welcomed our guests and had them stand and tell a bit about themselves. You would have been invited to do the same if you were present at the time.

Someone made a comment to you. You obviously know this person, and the comment was intended as a "poke" and certainly can't be generalized as how we receive all guests. It was personal, and you know it.

The club has always been, and will always be a collection of its members. Members that have day jobs, families, other hobbies. If the club doesn't put on a demonstration every month, it's only because no one has volunteered to do it. If we get together once a month to eat and chat, occasionally plan an event, give back to our community, and tell lies about how great we are...I'm good with that.

The club will always welcome members who want to share, but tasking someone each month with a demonstration just isn't where we're at right now.

Sorry, but your post isn't constructive at all. I don't see any recommendations. I don't see where you volunteered to bring your carb rebuilding kit to the next meeting. I know your family has been members for a very long time, and has seen the club through many stages, but I don't understand the intent of this post. If you want to get involved and influence the way the club is run...well that's what you do. If you want to do a driveby and tell us how we're doing it wrong, it won't be received well by some.
Old 11/19/09, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess my point in this was to share the experience and not just jump in and make suggestions.

I did walk in late and that is why I stated that first. I thought it was possible that I missed introductions but just wanted to share the rest of the experience.

As for the person poking, I knew they were poking but my question was how would someone else who was not a regular or even a first time visitor perceive it if they had heard it? Not directed to them but as a bystander.

So from all of this I guess then my overall question is: What can the club do to welcome newcomers (and comebacks) to convey both the purpose of the club and inform them of opportunities to learn and share their experiences?

Where I thought this would be constructive (and it seems to be working some) was to bring some questions to the forefront and begin a dialog? I know I threw out several things but it has to start somewhere.

As for not volunteering for anything; it's kind of like joining a new church and if you open your mouth and say you have an interest in something you suddenly get volunteered for it over and over. I'm just cautious to jump in and take the lead. I did that with the club one year and ended up as president. I learned not to say "I will do it if no one else will."

I hope to get involved again. I even paid the dues and re-joined. I just wanted to express my experience in hopes that others don't have the same. Could have been a one time event but I thought it needed shared.
Old 11/20/09, 12:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

it seems like you have some expectations of the club, or meetings but have not been around for a while. i find it kind of insulting to come to one meeting and criticize us.

I Don't think tech or how too's are going to be all that good of an idea with the limited time we have in a meeting, after all there is such a wide variety of mustang enthusiasts how can you cater to all of them. I think that's more of what the forums are for.

The club only meets once a month and that is when we have the chance to go thru old business, new business, and some of the other things we like to do, i think you need to come to more than just one meeting before you start to criticize them.

as for the remarks made to you, i can only say who ever that was does not represent the entire club, if you have a personal problem with them then i suggest you take it up with them. if it is someone you know just messing around then let them know how you feel.

Ralph did intro's on everyone who was new before the meeting started,the meeting starts at 7 pm, next time we can consider stopping the meeting just for you and start with the meet and greets all over again if you show up late if that will make you happy.

Ralph posted on the website a day or two before the meeting, stating some of us get together before the meeting to eat and talk about all things mustang and beyond. this might be a better time to talk about tech or some how too's

as for family oriented, we have members with very young children to teenagers and all are welcome.

we do want everyone to enjoy being a member, however we cannot guarantee everyone will be satisfied with everything we do.

as for the size of the place and price of food, i do agree we need a larger place, and somewhere that will cater to us. maybe a buffet that wont charge an arm and a leg.

by the way welcome back to the club.

Last edited by Rogue; 11/20/09 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11/20/09, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK, let's not make this a "Jump on Bill" thread here. Bill and I were probably the most active members of the club back in the mid '80s. One year, Bill was vice president, I was secretary and treasurer. Out of the blue, the President up and quit - so who's next in line for succession? Yep, the vice-president. Bill could have opted out, but he didn't. So yes, he HAS been to and planned meetings. And arranged speakers and DIY talks.

I , myself, have not been to a meeting in several years either. Maybe they've changed, but when I last attended it seemed like we spent every meeting for 6-7 months leading up to the May show doing nothing but talking about the show. Gets pretty old after a while.

I have contributed enormous amounts of time to the club in the past, so I can speak as some one with an interest in the club. I have been fed up with club at times (like when I was VP, newsletter writer, treasurer, secretary, show committee chairman, and head judge all in the same year). We planned a club picnic at the old UDS/Motorola picnic area. I had 35 people sign up for the picnic, so I ordered barbeque for 35 people. When only 9 showed up, I was done with club for a while. But, as is easily seen, people come and go, but the club has continued to last. We've had other presidents get mad and quit because their car didn't win at our show! (Probably one of the reasons club cars are not judged any more).

I think Bill is reminiscing about the good ol' days when we would do tours of Huntsville Engine or the powder coating facility over on Putman drive, or of Tom Holley's restoration shop. I can also remember having Tim Snitger (resto shop on Winchester Road) come and talk about what it takes to do a high end paint job. We even had fun when members (Alan Widgren) would bring in their custom built scale Mustang models for show and tell. And Skip arranged for a club photo shoot at his old theatre where we had probably 25 cars show up.

I realize that you can't please everyone, and that if being president of a club were easy, then a lot more people would volunteer to be nominated for that position. So kudos to Ralph (and Mike before him, and Mark and others who have stepped up in the past too). But ditzing another former president for expressing his opinion IMHO is not constructive.
Old 11/20/09, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rogue
and somewhere that will cater to us.
Good luck. Meetings of our type are perceived as money-losers by restaurants...we are more trouble than our food orders are worth. It's no coincidence that RCMC has apparently driven a half-dozen Huntsville establishments out of business in the last decade or so

Usually, the best option is a Chinese restaurant, because they have areas that are easily closed off, and with the buffet style eating, the server activity is minimal (drink refills) and the mgmt isn't counting every meal ordered quite so carefully.

But, not every one likes Chinese food, and some of them aren't exactly up to city health-inspection standards

Bill, welcome back to the Club. I feel for you, man...I hadn't been to a club meeting in several years and they didn't throw me a parade either.
Old 11/20/09, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LMan
Good luck. Meetings of our type are perceived as money-losers by restaurants...we are more trouble than our food orders are worth. It's no coincidence that RCMC has apparently driven a half-dozen Huntsville establishments out of business in the last decade or so
LMan is right - I can think of these now deceased ones that used to host us:

Quincy's - University Drive
Quincy's - Airport Road
Shoney's - University Drive west
Mr. Gatti's - University Drive
Papa Lovetti's - University Drive
Old Country Buffet - Hwy 20 Madison

Probably more, this is all I can think of for now.

You could also throw in the Alabama Theatre/Penney's parking lot for our May show.

Honey's Auto Parts on South Parkway for our swap meet.

We do seem to have the golden touch...
Old 11/20/09, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow! This is making for some interesting discussion.

So what can we produce to show visitors the "value added" benefits of club membership? Something they can take both in hand and in thought to make them want to be a part of the club?
Old 11/20/09, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

NOT TOO OFF TOPIC

but the chinese buffet on north parkway, meteor buffet , has offered a room for us, we will need to negotiate that some people wont eat, but they also host the miatta club so i am sure they are up to it,she even mentioned a group discount.