Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

EGR Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/07, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve Question

Now that the new exhaust is finished I am doing away with all this broken/rotted air pump pipe and lines. I have removed all the lower end air pump lines and blocked off the cross over tube behind the heads. All that is left now is the EGR and all its vac lines. I know for sure that right now the EGR valve is no longer working and all the vac lines are plug'd.

I took a spin down the block and noticed that I am getting some pinging when going up hills or under load in 3rd. How did the EGR disable cause pinging and what can I do at this point to eliminate the ping.

ATTN PUTER: Please tell me that you are not running EGR. I need to know how you are set up to avoid this problem.
Old 5/14/07, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

you shouldn't be pinging just from removing your EGR....what's your timing set at? I have a timing light if you need to borrow it.
Old 5/14/07, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

btw, if you were recently having a carb problem but you say it's fixed now, it's possibly your running lean...I'm guessing either your timing, or your running lean is the culprit....
Old 5/15/07, 06:46 AM
Cobra R Member

The EGR introduces unbunrt gases at cruise. It effectively leans out the mixture. It seems that something else may be giving an issue when going up hills to make you ping. Make darn sure that you do not have a vacuum leak. Every couple of years, I buy new nipples. Hmmmm... That did not sound right. Those are the small rubber vacuum caps. I also buy new vacuum line. For a few bucks, it's good insurance.

Nope. I think I may still have the plate and I still have the heat sheild, but those things are laying on shelves. I remember many years ago when my EGR valve went bad and I found out that they cost so much. Haven't had EGR since.