Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Carroll Shelby, now wants to disassociate himself from SAAC!

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/07 | 05:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Carroll Shelby, now wants to disassociate himself from SAAC!

As I've mentioned in the past, Shelby is nothing but a money grubber. Now he's wanting to disassociate himself and name form the Shelby American Automobile Club (and its 5000+ members) as well as make them give up all Shelby auto records, etc. I think the man must be suffering from Alzhiemer's...

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic...;boardseen#new
Old 11/26/07 | 08:21 AM
Cobra Member

I don't quite understand the "handing over of all documents regarding the registry of all Shelby vehicles ". Does he want a copy of the registry? You can't unlearn documented facts. He doesn't own the cars, and he can't own historical facts about ownership.

It's a shame that this has to consume funds to settle. It seems stupid. I believe he has a right to force SAAC to discontinue use of his name with respect to the club, but that's all.
Old 11/26/07 | 09:55 AM
GT Member

This coinsides with the announcement of Team Shelby.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=73287
It looks to me like he wants to take control of the registry and make it part of his club.
Old 11/27/07 | 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Ive never been a member of SAAC, but have tremendous respect for what they do. Carroll's cars would never have the value, interest, or cachet they do today without the countless hours and years of SAAC documenting and researching Shelbys to keep the fakes out. Long after Shel would have moved on to his next money-grubbing scam (or sold time-shares the rest of his life), SAAC was there propping up the value of his cars. Without SAAC, Shelbys would have about the interest or value of a Bricklin or DeLorean today...oddities, but nothing legendary. CS owes more to SAAC than he can ever repay. SAAC, albeit indirectly, kept the old fool 'relevant' in the performance industry decades after he would have faded away.

So I guess Rick Kopec is partially to blame for this

Now Shel's posse (I think CS himself must about be senile at this point) wants to turn around and kill the golden goose. I hope he and his shysters DIAHF.

Once Shel's evil band gets hold of SAAC and 'corporatizes' it a-la SVTOA, all you Shelby owners can watch your car values plummet. A lot of the perceived value of a Shelby was that its club wasn't like other company-sponsored car clubs, that they fought hammer-and-tong to protect the marque.

Now it may be just another corporate club.
Old 11/27/07 | 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

LMan, you are right. It's amazing that one man can be involved in so many lawsuits:

Shelby vs SAAC
Shelby vs Unique
Shelby vs Ford for using GT350 on '84 Anniversary cars
Shelby vs Cobra Repica makers for using "his" shape
Shelby vs Brian Angliss for AC Mk IV
Shelby with the "found" leftover 427 SC chassis
Shelby with the crappy Series I Olds powered cars

Here's an interesting thread on it (put back some time as it's up to 30 pages!)
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83483
Old 11/27/07 | 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

as long as he doesn't sue the people making "Carrol Shelby's Chili Mix", that's all I care about.
Old 11/27/07 | 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mgreene
As I've mentioned in the past, Shelby is nothing but a money grubber. Now he's wanting to disassociate himself and name form the Shelby American Automobile Club (and its 5000+ members) as well as make them give up all Shelby auto records, etc. I think the man must be suffering from Alzhiemer's...

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic...;boardseen#new
+1 to that. I have long thought that Shelby is only in it for the money and has no true love of anything else. He's shlepping Slick 50 type stuff and all sorts of crap these days and he sues everyone under the sun for infringement.
Old 11/27/07 | 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I guess I should consider removing my G.T.350 rocker stripes before I have a lawsuit on my hands. What a bunch of
Old 11/27/07 | 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shatter
+1 to that. I have long thought that Shelby is only in it for the money and has no true love of anything else. He's shlepping Slick 50 type stuff and all sorts of crap these days and he sues everyone under the sun for infringement.
Worse still maybe we all should cease talking about him before he sues all of us for unlicensed use of his name???

Old 11/28/07 | 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's getting even worse. Now Shelby has applied to trademark "SAAC" :

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?r...entry=77331815
Old 11/28/07 | 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Martimus
Worse still maybe we all should cease talking about him before he sues all of us for unlicensed use of his name???

only if he's recently changed his name to

'money-grubbing no-good, scumbag *******'
Old 11/28/07 | 05:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Look's to me like he's trying to take a page out of Ford's notebook, what with what they were doing a few years ago about the licensing of the Mustang name.
Old 12/6/07 | 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Another interesting read:

http://www.autoextremist.com/index.shtml
Old 12/6/07 | 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Mike G, good article. How old is Carroll now? How much money does this guy need? He can't use the "I have kids in college" excuse.
Old 12/6/07 | 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Extreme21
Mike G, good article. How old is Carroll now? How much money does this guy need? He can't use the "I have kids in college" excuse.
I think he's 84. Not like he's gonna be needing money much longer .
Old 12/6/07 | 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mberglo may need to worry about illegally naming his daughter .
Old 12/6/07 | 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

I think he's 84. Not like he's gonna be needing money much longer .

Are you kidding? Like the Dark Lord Sauron, CS is not bound by any mortal body.....when the time is right, he will discard his current husk and take over/inhabit another suitable host-body.

His malevolent essence is eternal. /bwahahaahahahaa *cue organ music*
Old 12/6/07 | 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Mberglo may need to worry about illegally naming his daughter .
We spoke to an attorney, and are having her name legally changed to Moneygrubbingscumbag.
Old 12/9/07 | 09:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Found this earlier
http://www.mustangblog.com/index.php...-back-at-saac/
Old 12/10/07 | 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

I want to extend an offer to the local clubs to contact my office and arrange for a license to use the Shelby and Cobra name at the same base cost that we offered SAAC of $1.
I sent my dollar, and now my daughter can keep her name until this time next year.

Quick Reply: Carroll Shelby, now wants to disassociate himself from SAAC!