Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

can I spill my guts????

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/07, 03:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can I spill my guts????

I love my mustang. I love mustangs period...and I love my expedition....it's been a great truck with some really interesting history to it. But here is my problem. I am growing more and more concerned about the environment and as much as I drool over my cars, I feel guilty about gas guzzling V8's that get lousy gas mileage. I feel like a hypocrite. On one hand I say...I'm just one guy...my cars and I can't make a difference....but that is how a difference starts.

I want to drive a 4 or 6 cylinder car, to do my part....but there is nothing out there I like. I could see myself in a V6 mustang with a supercharger but that negates the purpose as I'm back to inefficient gas guzzling.

Do I dare walk away from a car that is my passion...and a hobby and a source of new friends? I can't really explain how i feel about this emmisions and gas issue and I don't know if i can walk away from vehicles I love just so i don't feel like a hypocrite
Old 11/12/07, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

you are right. just give me your car and i will buy you some nice comfortable shoes!
Old 11/12/07, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

here is your new vehicle! it comes with a whole other community of friends!

http://moped2.org/aspforum/display_m....asp?mid=31427

Old 11/12/07, 03:55 PM

Not Married? I take that from your comment..."I am just one guy"

Hmmmmm??? Truck or Mustang.

Go out to your truck and have a heart to heart and say your goodbyes.

Then walk over to your beautiful Stang and give her a nice bubble bath!

You could then buy a small gas economy car that is about 10 years old and drive that to and from work and then drive the wheels off that Stang on your free time.

Just a thought
Old 11/12/07, 04:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Now with the high price of gas, it costs me $1.50 to drive to work and back.
My 4cyl. Ranger does all the hauling that I need. You would be surprised all the stuff you can put in the bed (4x8 plywood over the wheels).
My Mustang get TWICE the mpg of my old car. Talk about saving gas.
I guess that is my way of "doing my part".
Or is it having my cake and eating it too?
Old 11/12/07, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
keep the stang get rid of your expedition. I like the acura tsx and the tl.
Old 11/12/07, 04:18 PM
GT Member

well actually i like having two cars (especially since I have no car payments) and since I have 3 kids it comes in handy to have a 4 door (ie the expo), but I'm really torn about getting something much smaller and greener (refering to the environment, not paint color) :-)
Old 11/12/07, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mmr007
I love my mustang. I love mustangs period...and I love my expedition....it's been a great truck with some really interesting history to it. But here is my problem. I am growing more and more concerned about the environment and as much as I drool over my cars, I feel guilty about gas guzzling V8's that get lousy gas mileage. I feel like a hypocrite. On one hand I say...I'm just one guy...my cars and I can't make a difference....but that is how a difference starts.

I want to drive a 4 or 6 cylinder car, to do my part....but there is nothing out there I like.
Oh, man, are you from Al Gore's home town??? You haven't been talking to Dan Satterfield, have you?
Old 11/12/07, 04:22 PM

no car payments?

and complaining about cost of gas?...LOL..

Now on the topic of AL GORE....Best way to get around that is ride a mountain bike with a two wheel trailer for the kids. Make sure they wear their helmets. J/K

I think that you have already made up your mind that you want to do something, just shop around and find the best thing for your buck and your oxygen.
Old 11/12/07, 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=2885

what kind of mpg's is the expedition getting? Are you stuck to one brand?

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4019412
Old 11/12/07, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why dont u keep the stang and get a hybrid SUV or corssover. I feel the same way as you but have dreamed of owning a stang since I was a child, I love the enviroment, but I couldn't stop myself, because of how much idreamed of this car.
Old 11/12/07, 04:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you got a V6 mustang your gas emission worries would be no more and Al Gore would have been happy that you are doing your part for the environment. I'd dump the truck and keep the mustang.
Old 11/12/07, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you really think selling either of your vehicles is going to make a lick of difference?

Aside from maybe making you feel a little warm and fuzzy inside, it won't. You'll have a more fuel efficeint vehicle, and guess what? You'll probably drive it more since it won't cost as much. Someone else will buy your old gas guzzlers, and they too will drive them all over the place. And you're going to take a huge hit on the depreciation of both vehicles, which will negate any fuel savings over the long run.

If you want to make a difference, find ways to drive less. That's my 2 cents.
Old 11/12/07, 05:56 PM
Cobra R Member

There are other things you can do that help the environment, like recycling, not buying an H2, or even taking mass transit once a week.

My '01 3.8 liter 'stang got around 17.5 in mixed driving. My GT gets 16-17, depending upon my driving. The way I see it, unless you go hybrid, it won't make that much difference. As for the Expedition? Use it when you have to, or trade it for an Edge.
Old 11/13/07, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought my truck when diesel was $1.50 Now it's nearly $3.50 I don't care. I'll still fuel it and drive it. So I "save" a little less each week or year.....I can also spend less on other things to compensate.

Same for my car. That thing drinks like a fish! On top of that, I rarely drive it.....so I'm paying on a car that sits a lot. I don't care. I love my car and truck and won't give into "da man" by getting some POS because the industry tells me it gets 50 miles to the gallon.....it's still not my 'Stang.
Old 11/13/07, 08:54 AM
GT Member

wow....I checked and saw that a mitsubishi montero with a 3.5 liter 6 cylinder gets 17 mpg which is about what my 5.4 expedition gets...and I need a truck because of my kids and large dogs etc.....a VW Golf GTI gets 42 mpg but exchanging a mustang gt for that is about as much fun as getting a deadly staph infection and I'm sure to find no love on this board for such a suggestion....

....maybe I could use an electric mower instead of my gas one? But that would just mean burning more coal to produce electricity....sigh....if you need me I'll be outside planting and hugging a tree
Old 11/13/07, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket88
Do you really think selling either of your vehicles is going to make a lick of difference?

Aside from maybe making you feel a little warm and fuzzy inside, it won't. You'll have a more fuel efficeint vehicle, and guess what? You'll probably drive it more since it won't cost as much. Someone else will buy your old gas guzzlers, and they too will drive them all over the place. And you're going to take a huge hit on the depreciation of both vehicles, which will negate any fuel savings over the long run.

If you want to make a difference, find ways to drive less. That's my 2 cents.
+1!!
Old 11/13/07, 09:05 AM
Cobra R Member

*chuckles*

There is nothing wrong in wanting to do whatever possible to keep from damaging the planet. I feel that the best way to go about this is to try to do what you can *within reason*.

As far as the vehicles, I have been surprised at how many vehicles get worse gas mileage than my carb'ed daily driver. I average 16-17 daily and get 25 on the highway. My pickup truck gets 25.

If you sincerely want to do your part to help keep emissions down, then keep them tuned up, keep your tires in good shape and aired to proper inflation, and try and combine short trips. Instill in your children attainable ways to help to keep the environment clean.

Oh, and when ya see someone toss a cigarette butt out their window, pick it up and throw it back in their car and tell them that is what an ashtray is for. *grins*
Old 11/13/07, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

if you feel the need to do something, dump the expo get a fusion, still a four door. dont dump the stang. i drive my stang a good bit, and it get 7mpg. regardless gas is gas and will get used.
Old 11/13/07, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I know gas is high and has been high (and low) before. If not gas, something else will cost more. We (US) seem to react every time the media tells us too. He who has the most influence at the time, gets his opinion aired the most. Right now it's the tree huggers, etc. Look, Ford and GM don't give a squat but know it's politically correct to appear to give a crap....thus the Hybrid, etc. When the whole automotive line switches over and all the gas producer change to new fuel alternatives, then they'll make an impact. They won't 'cause they know this will all pass. Media loves turmoil and what better way, but to tell us we are all bad people for wasting fuel, etc. The US barely makes a dent in the planet's fuel consumption. CHINA is the problem, as well as other countries and they will never stop over-consuming and that drives the prices up.....regardless of what the US does to cut back.

The "greenest" you'll ever see me get is maybe a nice shade of green on a high-powered, gas-guzzling 'Stang.

Quick Reply: can I spill my guts????