The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2008-2009 BULLITT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f735/)
-   -   Where are the pics? How can Ford keep this so secret? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f735/where-pics-how-can-ford-keep-so-secret-459325/)

Hollywood_North GT 10/27/07 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 1033290)
Yeah, I'll be really p*ssed. Is that for real?

Naw, I was only kidding.

Price is always an issue when you are trying to sell a vehicle, or buy a vehicle. This is not a command economy.

I thought I made it clear this is not a conversation about price. It is a conversation about a 6-cylinder Toyota with 277 ft lbs of torque beating a V8 powered Mustang with 320 ft lbs of torque. Mechanicals vs. mechanicals. YOU injected price into the equation, not me.

But if it's "value" you want to discuss, I think you may be laboring under an erroneous precept, so read on...

Frankly, I'm sick of the "Who cares, our cars win hands down when you factor the price into it" argument. We're not talking about pitting our Stangs against Vettes or Vipers or Ferraris here. We're talking about a tarted-up Toyota. Price won't help you at the dragstrip or the light. Course, I guess you can always roll down your window and yell to the guy in the IS350 who just dusted you: "Oh YEAH?! Well mine COST less than yours, so there!"

Lots of satisfaction in that.

Since your statement makes power the issue, and of course you've made it plain that in your opinion power is what sells, how do you explain that in 2001 Mustang outsold Camaro by a margin of 3-1, even though Camaro had more power?

YOU said power is what sells, not me. I'm comparing a Toyota 6 to a Ford 8, and wondering WTF is going on here. There's NOTHING in your argument that proves the Lexus MUST be as quick or quicker simply because it costs more. Yet this appears to be the thrust of your argument.

It's true the Mustang didn't face 'Global' competition in the 60's, but then how many of it's global competitors today offer a RWD V8 performance car for under $27k?

There it is, the old worn out price argument yet again. So I guess you measure the "performance" by how much HP per dollar you're getting, not by whether or not the car offers as good or superior performance to slightly more expensive "sporty" cars (the true measure of performance value).

During the 60's and early 70's the Mustang faced much more direct competition from domestic manufacturers offering RWD V8 performance in similar price ranges. Chevy had the Camaro in several different flavors, including Yenko prepped specials and the infamous COPO Camaro's of 69 with the 430-hp aluminum block 427. There was the Firebird, with the T/A, sporting one of the biggest CI displacement big blocks ever dropped into a pony car frame. (The actual Firebird trans-am machine ran a 303 CI small block--a variant of the 305 block that was a screamer.) The '64 GTO was followed up by even faster offerings. In the early 70's there was the Judge a 455 CI version of the GTO. The Plymouth Hemi-cuda was a street beast and perhaps an even better street fighter was the AAR 'cuda with the 340 wedge motor with the six-pack fuel set-up. Plymouth also offered the Roadrunner with the 383 for starters and a version with the 440 Magnum for massive torque. They also offered a less stripped down version simply called the GTX. And anyone who ever saw one couldn't forget the Superbird! There was a Challenger from mild-to-wild from Dodge as well as the Dodge Charger and Daytona (Dodge's version of the Superbird). There was also a Super Bee performance offering—a Dodge Coronet with a big motor stuffed in it. (BTW putting a hemi engine in the car raised the price by 33%, so they didn’t sell very many of them. So much for price not being an issue.) AMC offered the Javelin and the AMX, and laugh if you want, but the Mark Donahue prepared AMC vehicles were pretty quick.

The Hemi cuda was quicker than the Mustang on the street, but not off the showroom floor. Plymouth didn't sell many and the line died quickly. The same fate was in store for the Roadrunner, and the GTX. In fact, Plymouth is just history. The Challenger didn't make it. The Javelin was cancelled long before Renault bought out the company. The Super Bee and the Dodge charger died out—and it has been resurrected as a sedan. The GTO has passed-on not once, but twice now since it's debut.

Yep, the history lesson is great and all, but again, what does it have to do with what I was saying?

Chevy's interpretation of the Mustang lingered on, the company keeping it alive more out of obligations to Union contracts rather than sales.

I think we're off onto another topic here, but to answer that point: we'll see what happens with Camaro...and Challenger. I think it's more likely that rising fuel costs will put the kibosh on all these cars before long.

You are right, global competition does change the stakes of the game. But competition is not necessarily a bad thing. It can bring about improvements. There is a risk something could come along and put the Mustang out to pasture--that risk has been there since 1964. I look forward to seeing the new Camaro. I like the looks of the new Challenger. The Lexus IS350 (other than being Toyota-bland in styling) is a very nice car.

Fair enough.

Plenty of cars with faster 0-60 times have come and gone since the Mustang was introduced. The Mustang never offered the biggest V8, nor the most horsepower in Detroit. The Mustang is not a great car. But it is a good car. It offers distinctive styling, decent performance, and reasonable utility, at a price the average consumer can afford. And that is why the Mustang is still around.

Again, fair enough. But we're still talking about being threatened by a Toyota sedan with two less cylinders here.

Can I ride in your Lexus?

Nope. Don't have one. Don't want one. What I would like is for a highly-touted, allegedly "fast" V8 powered American muscle car to have no trouble taking a 6-cylinder Toyota. Remember those early advertisements that HTT championed with the Mustang racing down the street, exhaust pipes rumbling, forward-leaning shark-like nose yelling, "Get out of my way!" to all the other cars on the road. Well, better move over Mustang, here comes a bloated 4-door jellybean with 6 cylinders ready to p!ss all over your performance moniker. Oops.

Times certainly have changed.

Hollywood_North GT 10/27/07 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Topnotch (Post 1033293)
You Wish?
What are you on?

What am I on? It's called reality. I'll explain it to you sometime.

The first Challengers will be SRT-8 models with automatic transmissions, with a HEMI® Orange exterior, hood stripes, and a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine, produced in March or April as 2008 models. The first three will be auctioned off for charity. After the 2008s, all SRT8 automatics, comes 2009 model-year production with all three engines and both size Hemis with six-speed T-56 manual transmissions. So good luck with those!

Don't need any; won't be buying one. But guess what, somebody will, and I bet Dodge will sell every one they can make, too.

The Challenger would start production in April 2008 with the SRT8 and 6.1 liter engine. The 2009 Challenger, to be built starting in July 2008, will include a 3.5 liter SXT with the 3.5 liter engine and four-speed automatic, R/T with the second-generation 5.7 Hemi, and the SRT-8. The 2010, to start production in July 2009 - with convertibles starting in early 2009 - will be similar but with SXT and R/T convertibles, and possibly a new 6.4 liter High Output SRT8 option. 2011 Challenger will include the 4.0 liter Phoenix engine instead of the 3.5 liter.

Smack dab in the middle of the Mustang refresh/redesign/'re-imagination'. :yup:

The official introduction / unveiling is set for February 6, 2008, 11 am, CST. Actual production is reportedly set for April 21, 2008. Availability should be around May-June 2008

Uh-huh... And...? :dunno:

I'm done!

You sure? Let's put a fork in you to make sure. :grin:

MUSTANGS NON-STOP FOR OVER 40 YEARS

Such as they were (anybody here lusting after an old Mustang II?).

But I admire your passion and loyalty. :nice:

Topnotch 10/27/07 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ONE SIMPLE SOLUTION FOR YOU

428CJ(R) 10/28/07 12:55 AM

Sorry guys but you better get a CAI and a tune of you want to stay ahead of an IS 350. Edmunds clocked a 14.2 in the 1/4 mile with an IS 350 and a 14.3 with an 05 GT. The GT was faster from 0-60 at 5.7 sec versus 6.1 for the Lexus. The Lexus site says you need 91 octane gas to get the 306 HP so it would be interesting to see the performance on regular. The GT-H Edmunds tested ran a 13.9 in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 in 5.6 sec so the new Bullitt with similar upgrades should be able to fend off a stock IS 350.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106607

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...7/pageNumber=1

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116729

Hollywood_North GT 10/28/07 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Topnotch (Post 1033371)
ONE SIMPLE SOLUTION FOR YOU

:rofl3:

I'm honored I "moved" you enough for you to go to all that trouble.

Gettin' to ya am I...? :jester:

goesfast 10/28/07 06:57 AM

Hey, BT4, for whatever it's worth, I enjoyed your performance history recap. It was very accurate and only served to strengthen the Mustang's vitality. I enjoyed reading it.

afcop13 10/28/07 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 428CJ(R) (Post 1033414)
Sorry guys but you better get a CAI and a tune of you want to stay ahead of an IS 350. Edmunds clocked a 14.2 in the 1/4 mile with an IS 350 and a 14.3 with an 05 GT. The GT was faster from 0-60 at 5.7 sec versus 6.1 for the Lexus. The Lexus site says you need 91 octane gas to get the 306 HP so it would be interesting to see the performance on regular. The GT-H Edmunds tested ran a 13.9 in the 1/4 mile and 0-60 in 5.6 sec so the new Bullitt with similar upgrades should be able to fend off a stock IS 350.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106607

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...7/pageNumber=1

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116729

Sorry - but 14.3 for the 05 GT? Doubt it unless it was raining and an automatic driven by a 16 year old. Check just about every other review on the 05 GTs from 2-3 years ago when they first hit the streets. They were all mid-high 13's......on 87 octane......stock.

GT40 2 10/28/07 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by afcop13 (Post 1033580)
Sorry - but 14.3 for the 05 GT? Doubt it unless it was raining and an automatic driven by a 16 year old. Check just about every other review on the 05 GTs from 2-3 years ago when they first hit the streets. They were all mid-high 13's......on 87 octane......stock.

And a 0-60 time in the low 5's

RedFire4.6 10/28/07 04:33 PM

I can tell you from personal experience that a stock auto 06 GT can take an auto IS350 from a stop and a roll by about 1 and a half car lengths.

trublustang03 10/28/07 09:34 PM

A 14.3 is more like what a SN95 GT use to run, I should know I use to own one.

an 05 GT should not be running that slow, at worst an 05 and up GT is a high 13 second car and at best is a mid 13 second car.

To each their own though, we all drive what we like.

peace

GTJOHN 10/29/07 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1033277)
So the production Challenger will be unveiled in a smidgen over three months. And the Bullitt will actually be available to buy when? January? A smidgen over two months. Since Challenger goes on sale in the spring, we're only talking a few months apart here. Close enough that you'll only be able to enjoy your new Bullitt for about three or four months before you start staring at the taillights of Challengers, the drivers of which will probably delight in seeking out the "special" Bullitts. :grin:

I'm good for now, thanks.

Yep, I can remember when I was excited about this, until we found out the Bullitt would offer no serious performance gains beyond what anyone can simply do to their GT for a modest investment.

BTW, by the time it arrives in dealerships, Challenger and Camaro will already be on the street, so here's hoping that the "all new" Mustang really delivers the goods! :cheers:

You wish!

Have to agree with Hollywood on this one. It is about H.P.
There is a significant gap in H.P. between the Mustang GT and the GT500. The sin of all of this is that the current under-powered SE's have narrowed the "price" gap.
In my area, I have seen Shelby GT's for $41k, the GT/CS are around $32k now.

Two years ago, you could get a Mustang GT Premium in the $27k range, now they are between $30k-$32k. GM was offering a 400hp GTO for $32k not that long ago. Now it is pretty safe to say if Ford offers a 350hp-400hp SE, that it will be near or above $40k. Pretty darn close to the GT500.

bar 10/29/07 06:15 AM

The official introduction / unveiling is set for February 6, 2008, 11 am, CST. Actual production is reportedly set for April 21, 2008. Availability should be around May-June 2008
Is this meant for the Bullitt release? Just confirming...

bt4 10/29/07 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by GTJOHN (Post 1033905)
Have to agree with Hollywood on this one. It is about H.P.

The F-body Z28 had more HP than a Mustang GT, do you honestly believe adding more HP to the Z28 would have kept GM from closing the plant?

The Pontiac GTO in 2004 was introduced with 350-HP and sales were less than stellar. So, GM upped the ante and increased the HP and the sales zoomed, right?

I'll concede that adding more HP may not be a bad idea, but would it be a big boost to Mustang sales? Adding HP didn't save the Z28. And it certainly didn't help the GTO.

Yes, there are a lot of enthusiasts clamoring for more HP. But more HP doesn't equate to a better product or more sales. It may mean a sale to you, or Hollywood. But in the bigger picture, with rising gas prices, increased cost, it could result in fewer sales. This board doesn't represent the majority of the market buyers. That is what I tried to get across with a history of nameplates by various manufacturers all of which had tremendous HP, none of which currently exist today (except for the Charger and Mustang). One point Hollywood made that I agree with completely, is the rising cost of gas could put and end to the Camro and Challenger. It has happened before (1974). Put bigger engines and higher HP in the Mustang and it just might join them.

You may be right. Obviously, I have no crystal ball, just voicing an opinion. I'm just not convinced more HP and higher $$ will lead to success for the current Mustang, SE or not.

Whammer 10/29/07 10:53 AM

The current Mustang IS a success! Yes, I know some people would like more HP. But it's probably not very cost efficient for Ford at this moment in time. The company is struggling.
I doubt very much that trying to cram more horses into a Mustang is very high on their priority list.

The rising fuel costs are probably going to be like a cold shower to the brief HP wars that were just developing.
If you want more HP then you'll just have to go get it done in the aftermarket.

Speaking personally- 300-320HP is plenty for me. I can't wait to see how the Bullitt turns out. I'm hoping I like it and if so I will be placing my order.
If not I'm 95% sure I will be getting an 08 GT when the lease on my 05 GT ends.

futuresvt 10/29/07 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1033355)
Course, I guess you can always roll down your window and yell to the guy in the IS350 who just dusted you: "Oh YEAH?! Well mine COST less than yours, so there!"

:rofl3:

:popcorn:

And if i'm going to drop $40K on a luxo, I'm getting a 335i coupe. As powerful as my GT, but light years more luxurious and with amenities the Mustang can't even imagine having!

Bullitt 2597 10/29/07 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by bar (Post 1033917)
Is this meant for the Bullitt release? Just confirming...

No. Bullitt release/debut Nov 13th LA Auto Show. Job 1 date Dec 3. Should hit the showrooms early 08.

bt4 10/29/07 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by futuresvt (Post 1034092)
:popcorn:

And if i'm going to drop $40K on a luxo, I'm getting a 335i coupe. As powerful as my GT, but light years more luxurious and with amenities the Mustang can't even imagine having!

Just an observation, at 14K more, a BMW 335i certainly ought to have more amenities than a Mustang, shouldn't it, else what are you getting for the additional $14K? Hollywood compared a Mustang GT to a $40k IS350, you compare it to a $40K BMW and both of you complain that a $26k Mustang is not as impressive.

How about comparing a $40K Mustang to a $40K IS350. The MSRP for a Shelby GT500 is $40,930. Something tells me that a Lexus IS350 at $40k will see nothing of the GT500 except tail lights. This should make Hollywood happy. In an earlier post, he admitted he would pay $40K for a Mustang SE with at least 375 and a vented hood. There you are a Mustang SE with 500-hp and a vented hood for $40k. (If you can find a dealer willing to forgo ADM.)

You can get your 335i for under $40 ($38k for the version that isn't AWD). But if you insist on the AWD (nice option) the base price is over $40K. Yes it is a different car. And you still might prefer the BMW, after all the Shelby GT500 is not to everybody's taste--to each his own. I'd like to be able to buy a 500-hp Mustang and pay $26K for it. I'd like to be able to buy a BMW 335i for $27K. But somehow, I just don't think that's going to happen.

Ford needs to sell Mustangs. Could they offer a Mustang GT at $40K with more "layers of refinement" (to quote Hollywood--no sarcasm intended, it's a good line)? Yes, I think they could. Could Ford sell 160,000 units at $40K--NFW. Could they sell 100,000 units at that price point--no. 60,000 units--probably not. 40,000 units--I doubt it. (Keep in mind GM has already stated they need to move at least 100,000 units of the new Camaro to keep the project alive.)

Anybody have the sales volume figures for BMW335i?

July 2007 YTD

335i Coupe (E92) 784 6,081
335i Convertible (E93) 916 4,584

Having an exclusive car is not a bad thing, or a good thing. Having an exclusive car with those kinds of volume is not what Ford needs right now.

bt4 10/30/07 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by goesfast (Post 1033445)
Hey, BT4, for whatever it's worth, I enjoyed your performance history recap. It was very accurate and only served to strengthen the Mustang's vitality. I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks--The late 60's early 70's was a great time for performance cars. On the whole, today's cars are better, but I miss the individuality offered by the array of performance cars in the past. The automotive landscape has changed considerably. I still remember a purple AAR Cuda in my neighborhood that was very quick and I find it hard to believe that Plymouth doesn't exist anymore. One of my friends had an Olds 4-4-2, but Oldsmobile is now gone.

I drove a 69 Mustang. When I bought it (used) it had the Autolite 2-barrel from the factory on its 302. After some minor tweaking, an Edelbrock medium-riser manifold, a Carter AFB series 4-bbl, cyclone headers, Mr. Gasket competition 3-speed linkage, it went a little faster. Eventually traction bars were added to control the wheel-hop, I was afraid of breaking a spring, or axle.

It is a good time to be an auto-enthusiast now. But with crude above $93 a barrel, I'm not sure how long it'll last.

Enjoy the ride!

Whammer 10/30/07 06:31 AM

The last thing you'll need to worry about is seeing the taillights of an 08 Challenger- they're only making 3300 of them!
Good luck finding one and just image the ADM that they will charge.
I know for a fact they won't be sending ANY to Canada- they will be building the car here but they are sending them all to the U.S.

I too am a little disappointed the Bullitt won't have a twin vented hood.
I thought that would make it a perfect tribute car.
But if you want that and you want more HP- you can spend $5000 in the aftermarket and customize your ride.
I know people wish Ford would do these things, but over the last several months I more fully understand where Ford is coming from.
It's just not cost effective to offer so many options, etc.
Look at the Jap cars- you don't really get to order options. They come base or loaded.

GTJOHN 10/30/07 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 1034073)
The F-body Z28 had more HP than a Mustang GT, do you honestly believe adding more HP to the Z28 would have kept GM from closing the plant?

The Pontiac GTO in 2004 was introduced with 350-HP and sales were less than stellar. So, GM upped the ante and increased the HP and the sales zoomed, right?

I'll concede that adding more HP may not be a bad idea, but would it be a big boost to Mustang sales? Adding HP didn't save the Z28. And it certainly didn't help the GTO.

Yes, there are a lot of enthusiasts clamoring for more HP. But more HP doesn't equate to a better product or more sales. It may mean a sale to you, or Hollywood. But in the bigger picture, with rising gas prices, increased cost, it could result in fewer sales. This board doesn't represent the majority of the market buyers. That is what I tried to get across with a history of nameplates by various manufacturers all of which had tremendous HP, none of which currently exist today (except for the Charger and Mustang). One point Hollywood made that I agree with completely, is the rising cost of gas could put and end to the Camro and Challenger. It has happened before (1974). Put bigger engines and higher HP in the Mustang and it just might join them.

You may be right. Obviously, I have no crystal ball, just voicing an opinion. I'm just not convinced more HP and higher $$ will lead to success for the current Mustang, SE or not.

I just want a Mustang that is equal to what the competition offers. I don't know why us Mustang loyalist always have to settle for second best or pay a lot more for something that is comparable to the competitions.

The Mustang is Fords "Baby", they shouldn't need GM or Chrysler to push them to make improvements. The improvements should be made to satisfy us loyalist and potential new customers.

The Mustang will always sell well, its an American Icon like the Corvette. But, Ford shouldn't "milk" us like they have in the past.