The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2008-2009 BULLITT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f735/)
-   -   Where are the pics? How can Ford keep this so secret? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f735/where-pics-how-can-ford-keep-so-secret-459325/)

black_bullitt 10/26/07 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by goesfast (Post 1032365)
My guess is they'll have that Steve McQueen look-a-like guy who did the '05 ads dress up in a turtle neck sweater (c/w elbow-patched tweed sports jacket), and arrive in style at the LA Auto Show. Either way, I think this is gonna be one cool looking car!!
C'Mon November 13th!!................................

i thought that WAS Steve McQueen...?? they just edited him in there... at least i thought i remembered reading an article or two on that.

either way, that would be a cool idea :nice:

project_v6 10/26/07 10:38 PM

No hood scoop for Bullitt?

Hollywood_North GT 10/27/07 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by project_v6 (Post 1032781)
No hood scoop for Bullitt?

More importantly, no twin vented hood. :shame:

Wolfsburg 10/27/07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1032815)
More importantly, no twin vented hood. :shame:

Yeah, that really disappointed me. I am glad there's no scoop though...

AFBLUE 10/27/07 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Topnotch (Post 1031102)
Two reasons we haven't seen pictures!!

Yep.

FLAstangx3 10/27/07 03:32 PM

....also because it's all fluff. No meat. Just a plain jane GT painted Highland Green with the Black CDC Grille.

Topnotch 10/27/07 03:51 PM

I don't get it...

what did you guys honestly expect?
People who own the 2001 BULLITT's are upset?
The owners 0f 05-07's won't buy one?
The reason, they are trying to justify
holding onto theirs.
Secondly, The BULLITT IS
and was always a striped down Mustang GT
No frills, No "stinkin" badges, nada!
Watch the movie...this is going back to
the original basic theme. Fords quote
explains it all "perfect balance of power,
performance and a look of quiet intensity."

Warner Brothers stripped it down
Max Balchowsky strengthened it up
...and Steve brought his own Steering Wheel...
We're about to get a lot more than they did in 1968.

And if you are looking for more "special"...
There's always the GT500...40th Anniv...KR, Shelby GT, Cal Special,
Saleen H281, Saleen S281, Roush 427,...Trac Pak... 428...
Foose Stallion...A.J. Foyt’s “Coyote Edition”?...even a "pretty" in pink edition

Tony Alonso 10/27/07 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3 (Post 1033121)
....also because it's all fluff. No meat. Just a plain jane GT painted Highland Green with the Black CDC Grille.

Where did you see the CDC grille?

Bullitt 2597 10/27/07 04:30 PM

No such grill right now. After the Bullitt starts production maybe.....

Wolfsburg 10/27/07 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Topnotch (Post 1033126)
holding onto theirs.
Secondly, The BULLITT IS

Foose Stallion...A.J. Foyt’s “Coyote Edition”?...even a "pretty" in pink edition

Amen!

For some reason people expected a high HP monster, though there's no precedent for it. The Bullitt was never intended to be a Boss surrogate.

Hollywood_North GT 10/27/07 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Topnotch (Post 1033126)
holding onto theirs.
Secondly, The BULLITT IS

You don't get it?!?! :crying:

I'm sorry to hear that. :jester:

With the arrival of Camaro and Challenger - and all the Japanese performance cars (a list too numerous to go into here) - the current Mustang GT will very shortly be at the bottom of the performance pack (hell, even a Lexus IS350 can take a stock GT). I wanted a stock Bullitt that would've at least had a fighting chance against these newcomers. And the fact remains Ford offers no in-house Mustang between the GT and GT500...a glaring gap.

You can talk the "old days" all you want, but back in the '60s, the Stang didn't have all the global competition to contend with, only Chargers and the like.

At least the '68 had the twin vented hood. We're not even getting that. :shame:

incomingRPG 10/27/07 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1033161)

rut row!

bt4 10/27/07 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by incomingRPG (Post 1033193)
rut row!

Rut row, indeed.

The IS350 base MSRP (before any options) is $35,905 over $10,000 dollars more than the base MSRP for a Mustang GT. If you want the lux package which gets you nice bells and whistles and the 18-inch wheels and performance tire package you will pay another $4,325 dollars.

So you want a Bullitt Mustang with over 400-HP and 18-inch wheels to compete with a Lexus IS350. The question is--are you willing to pay $40,000 dollars (American) to buy it?

Topnotch 10/27/07 06:08 PM

Competition isn't here yet!
Update on Challenger...
http://www.dodgechallengercountdown.com/

Update on Camaro...
http://www.5thgen.org/countdown/

Maybe you'll get your fix between now and then?

Oh, and the BULLITT Countdown...16 days!!!

BTW in January 2009 We'll see an all new Mustang at NAIAS
for the FIRST time...
These two C's are already getting so long in the tooth that it might be the first time that 2 concepts need a mid-cycle refresh!!!

Hollywood_North GT 10/27/07 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 1033209)
Rut row, indeed.

The IS350 base MSRP (before any options) is $35,905 over $10,000 dollars more than the base MSRP for a Mustang GT. If you want the lux package which gets you nice bells and whistles and the 18-inch wheels and performance tire package you will pay another $4,325 dollars.

So what? The fact is that the Mustang is marketed as a fast V8 all-American muscle car, and in that video it gets bested by a 6-cylinder Toyota that looks like a giant jelly bean. I can only hope that the Stang driver in that video simply didn't know how to drive.

Otherwise, you won't be saying "rut row" when one beats you off the light. More likely you'll be p!ssed. :yup:

And price isn't the determinate issue here. Power is. The Lexus is more money because it's a luxury car with many added layers of refinement and features...not because it's foremost marketed as a performance muscle car. Heck it only has 277 ft lbs of torque vs the Mustang's 320. WTF?

Originally Posted by bt4 (Post 1033209)
So you want a Bullitt Mustang with over 400-HP and 18-inch wheels to compete with a Lexus IS350. The question is--are you willing to pay $40,000 dollars (American) to buy it?

Actually, given that the CDN dollar is now worth more than its US counterpart, I would have happily shelled out $40K for such a Bullitt, and it wouldn't even have to have 400 HP. I would have settled for 375 HP and a vented hood.

Hollywood_North GT 10/27/07 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Topnotch (Post 1033217)
Competition isn't here yet!
Update on Challenger...
http://www.dodgechallengercountdown.com/

So the production Challenger will be unveiled in a smidgen over three months. And the Bullitt will actually be available to buy when? January? A smidgen over two months. Since Challenger goes on sale in the spring, we're only talking a few months apart here. Close enough that you'll only be able to enjoy your new Bullitt for about three or four months before you start staring at the taillights of Challengers, the drivers of which will probably delight in seeking out the "special" Bullitts. :grin:

Update on Camaro...
http://www.5thgen.org/countdown/

Maybe you'll get your fix between now and then?

I'm good for now, thanks.

Oh, and the BULLITT Countdown...16 days!!!

Yep, I can remember when I was excited about this, until we found out the Bullitt would offer no serious performance gains beyond what anyone can simply do to their GT for a modest investment.

BTW in January 2009 We'll see an all new Mustang at NAIAS for the FIRST time...

BTW, by the time it arrives in dealerships, Challenger and Camaro will already be on the street, so here's hoping that the "all new" Mustang really delivers the goods! :cheers:

These two C's are already getting so long in the tooth that it might be the first time that 2 concepts need a mid-cycle refresh!!!

You wish!

bt4 10/27/07 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1033270)
Otherwise, you won't be saying "rut row" when one beats you off the light. More likely you'll be p!ssed. :yup:

And price isn't the determinate issue here. Power is. The Lexus is more money because it's a luxury car with many added layers of refinement and features...not because it's foremost marketed as a performance muscle car. Heck it only has 277 ft lbs of torque vs the Mustang's 320. WTF?

Yeah, I'll be really p*ssed. Is that for real?

Price is always an issue when you are trying to sell a vehicle, or buy a vehicle. This is not a command economy.

Since your statement makes power the issue, and of course you've made it plain that in your opinion power is what sells, how do you explain that in 2001 Mustang outsold Camaro by a margin of 3-1, even though Camaro had more power?

It's true the Mustang didn't face 'Global' competition in the 60's, but then how many of it's global competitors today offer a RWD V8 performance car for under $27k?

During the 60's and early 70's the Mustang faced much more direct competition from domestic manufacturers offering RWD V8 performance in similar price ranges. Chevy had the Camaro in several different flavors, including Yenko prepped specials and the infamous COPO Camaro's of 69 with the 430-hp aluminum block 427. There was the Firebird, with the T/A, sporting one of the biggest CI displacement big blocks ever dropped into a pony car frame. (The actual Firebird trans-am machine ran a 303 CI small block--a variant of the 305 block that was a screamer.) The '64 GTO was followed up by even faster offerings. In the early 70's there was the Judge a 455 CI version of the GTO. The Plymouth Hemi-cuda was a street beast and perhaps an even better street fighter was the AAR 'cuda with the 340 wedge motor with the six-pack fuel set-up. Plymouth also offered the Roadrunner with the 383 for starters and a version with the 440 Magnum for massive torque. They also offered a less stripped down version simply called the GTX. And anyone who ever saw one couldn't forget the Superbird! There was a Challenger from mild-to-wild from Dodge as well as the Dodge Charger and Daytona (Dodge's version of the Superbird). There was also a Super Bee performance offering—a Dodge Coronet with a big motor stuffed in it. (BTW putting a hemi engine in the car raised the price by 33%, so they didn’t sell very many of them. So much for price not being an issue.) AMC offered the Javelin and the AMX, and laugh if you want, but the Mark Donahue prepared AMC vehicles were pretty quick.

The Hemi cuda was quicker than the Mustang on the street, but not off the showroom floor. Plymouth didn't sell many and the line died quickly. The same fate was in store for the Roadrunner, and the GTX. In fact, Plymouth is just history. The Challenger didn't make it. The Javelin was cancelled long before Renault bought out the company. The Super Bee and the Dodge charger died out—and it has been resurrected as a sedan. The GTO has passed-on not once, but twice now since it's debut. Chevy's interpretation of the Mustang lingered on, the company keeping it alive more out of obligations to Union contracts rather than sales.

You are right, global competition does change the stakes of the game. But competition is not necessarily a bad thing. It can bring about improvements. There is a risk something could come along and put the Mustang out to pasture--that risk has been there since 1964. I look forward to seeing the new Camaro. I like the looks of the new Challenger. The Lexus IS350 (other than being Toyota-bland in styling) is a very nice car.

Plenty of cars with faster 0-60 times have come and gone since the Mustang was introduced. The Mustang never offered the biggest V8, nor the most horsepower in Detroit. The Mustang is not a great car. But it is a good car. It offers distinctive styling, decent performance, and reasonable utility, at a price the average consumer can afford. And that is why the Mustang is still around.

Can I ride in your Lexus?

Topnotch 10/27/07 08:05 PM

You Wish?
What are you on?

The first Challengers will be SRT-8 models with automatic transmissions, with a HEMI® Orange exterior, hood stripes, and a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine, produced in March or April as 2008 models. The first three will be auctioned off for charity. After the 2008s, all SRT8 automatics, comes 2009 model-year production with all three engines and both size Hemis with six-speed T-56 manual transmissions.So good luck with those!

The Challenger would start production in April 2008 with the SRT8 and 6.1 liter engine. The 2009 Challenger, to be built starting in July 2008, will include a 3.5 liter SXT with the 3.5 liter engine and four-speed automatic, R/T with the second-generation 5.7 Hemi, and the SRT-8. The 2010, to start production in July 2009 - with convertibles starting in early 2009 - will be similar but with SXT and R/T convertibles, and possibly a new 6.4 liter High Output SRT8 option. 2011 Challenger will include the 4.0 liter Phoenix engine instead of the 3.5 liter.

The official introduction / unveiling is set for February 6, 2008, 11 am, CST. Actual production is reportedly set for April 21, 2008. Availability should be around May-June 2008

I'm done!

MUSTANGS NON-STOP FOR OVER 40 YEARS

hiznherponies 10/27/07 08:30 PM

+1 What they said!! The Mustang might not be a great car, from the factory, but what makes it great is the fact that throughout its LONG history, its been the AFFORDABLE sporty car that you, THE OWNER, can make into whatever you want it to be, from factory stock to the wildest hot rod out there!! If you want your Bullit to be a 400 horse, twin-vented hood muscle car, then make it!! The factory supllies you with the PERFECT canvas to work with!!! John

incomingRPG 10/27/07 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT (Post 1033270)
I can only hope that the Stang driver in that video simply didn't know how to drive.

No need for hope...looks like the driver, "rut row", crashed.:jester: