2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/06, 10:03 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Alternatives

Suppose the Bullitt is brought back and it has a few short comings, even though the logic of a SE is to have the complete package. For instance, if it is designed with the standard GT or GT/CS front fascia, no double vented hood, a loose suspension. I believe from the opinions posted regarding a new Bullitt model, the hopefuls' main concerns (excluding performance) is: certain physical characteristics and an upgraded suspension.

A possible solution is readily available with the GT500's front fascia (without fog lamps), grill, and double vented hood. For the suspension upgrade Roush Performance offers the Stage 2 suspension kit. A conservative estimate for parts, labor, and paint should be in the neighborhood of $5 - 6K leaving the question of is it worth it, both from the financial aspect and altering a SE's design.

From that stand point, it might make more sense to go the next level route.

What do you guys think?
Old 12/8/06, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think ford would use the GT500 facia as that would take away from the uniqueness that they try to sell the GT500 with.
Old 12/9/06, 05:48 AM

I was refering to aftermarket mods.
Old 12/10/06, 12:43 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Suppose the Bullitt is brought back and it has a few short comings, even though the logic of a SE is to have the complete package. For instance, if it is designed with the standard GT or GT/CS front fascia, no double vented hood, a loose suspension. I believe from the opinions posted regarding a new Bullitt model, the hopefuls' main concerns (excluding performance) is: certain physical characteristics and an upgraded suspension.

A possible solution is readily available with the GT500's front fascia (without fog lamps), grill, and double vented hood. For the suspension upgrade Roush Performance offers the Stage 2 suspension kit. A conservative estimate for parts, labor, and paint should be in the neighborhood of $5 - 6K leaving the question of is it worth it, both from the financial aspect and altering a SE's design.

What do you guys think?
You're starting to sound a lot like me.

OK, I'll take a crack at this question!

First up, I would never mess with replacing the whole front fascia. I would leave that alone. If I hated it, I probably just wouldn't buy the car. And if the new Bullitt gets a GT/CS hood scoop I will run away from it SO fast...

...but if they don't do anything stupid like that, then, for me, assuming only 310 HP (which I could live with if it can be CAI'd and tuned to almost 350 HP) - then what I will look for as must haves (in no particular order) >>

- DHG (obviously)
- A unique Bullitt interior
- A front fascia different from the GT (GT/CS is probably OK)
- HIDs (particularly if there are no fog lights)
- Lots of Bullitt badging
- Availability of full amenities packages that can be ordered on GT Premium
- An overall cosmetic presentation that is pleasing to the eye and evokes the original car, and looks sufficiently different from the GT, Shelby GT and Shelby GT500

I fully expect the front of the Bullitt will look identical to the photo at the bottom of this post (though DHG obviously).

I'm not certain how I feel about the suspension upgrade or wheels & tires, since all three will likely represent a minimal effort on the part of Ford. I'm guessing lowering will be subtle (read: not enough); tires will still be 235 series; and wheels will be 17". I would therefore prefer to do the suspension upgrade myself (Steeda or Roush), drop the car properly, get the offset right, order up some 18X9.5 gray Bullitt wheels and put 275 tires on all four corners (like on the current Saleen). Same overall Bullitt look, but beefier and more aggressive, without going over the top (think 2001 Bullitt showcar).

And yes, I'd love a hood that is custom to the Bullitt, with the twin vents, though it's probably not a deal breaker...unlike a hood scoop.

Note to Ford >>

NO FAKE HOOD SCOOP ON THE '08 BULLITT!

Old 12/10/06, 12:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it doesn't meet expectations, another alternative is to simply not buy one. Get a (base) GT and do it better for less given the expected AMV's that dealers WILL slap on.
Old 12/10/06, 12:54 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hi5.0
If it doesn't meet expectations...

...expected AMV's that dealers WILL slap on.
If the car doesn't meet expectations, I doubt dealers will get ANY ADMs for the Bullitt, especially if there is no significant power upgrade.

The Bullitt has neither the power of horses, nor the power of the Shelby name to create the kind of feeding frenzy the GT500 is currently enjoying.
Old 12/10/06, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
... I'd love a hood that is custom to the Bullitt, with the twin vents, though it's probably not a deal breaker...unlike a hood scoop.
Since it is long and wide I can't see the hood not having some kind of break. Either double vents or a hood scoop will be part of it.
Old 12/10/06, 06:58 AM
Closet American

...a hood scoop will be part of it.
BUH-BYE...
Old 12/11/06, 12:47 PM

i'm hoping for the twin vented hood, too... i like the idea so much that i have seriously thought about putting a terminator hood on my '01 Bullitt... (just not sure on if i'd be sold on the look with the GT bumper...)
i'm liking the idea of HID's...
but the 01 Bullitts came with stock 245 series, so i wouldn't expect anything less than that on an 08 model...

and if history repeats itself and three colors are offered, i'd like to see true blue replaced with something like a dsg kind of color... obviously, dhg is a must, and i think black should stay as well, but the blue just didn't do anything for me...

if the Bullitt turns out to be something i can live without, i still plan on being one of the first in line on it, then even if i don't go through with the purchase, i can sell my spot on the list on eBay like all the other folks did with the GT, GT500, Lotus Elise, etc... quick way to make a few bucks, and that could be spent modifying the '01 Bullitt!!
Old 12/11/06, 06:11 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
if the Bullitt turns out to be something i can live without, i still plan on being one of the first in line on it, then even if i don't go through with the purchase, i can sell my spot on the list on eBay like all the other folks did with the GT, GT500, Lotus Elise, etc... quick way to make a few bucks, and that could be spent modifying the '01 Bullitt!!
Don't expect any takers. The Bullitt doesn't hold the same appeal or cachet as the Shelby.
Old 12/11/06, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the 08 Bullitt came with the standard GT front facia I'd figure out a way to get a Parnelli Jones facia. Then if the hood was plain or had a scoop I'd go with a BoyRacer hood.
Old 12/11/06, 06:33 PM
GT Member

What will really suck is if it is like the CS where there is no set limit on production. No offense to the CS owners. It would then turn into a special edition instead of the 01 limited edition. There would be no logical reason to number them at that point. Much like the Mach1, just a trim level. Ford wouldn't do that would they? I guess they would if they thought they could sell 10 thousand of them.
Old 12/11/06, 07:20 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Bullitt 2597
What will really suck is if it is like the CS where there is no set limit on production. No offense to the CS owners. It would then turn into a special edition instead of the 01 limited edition. There would be no logical reason to number them at that point. Much like the Mach1, just a trim level. Ford wouldn't do that would they? I guess they would if they thought they could sell 10 thousand of them.
It's looking like they MIGHT do that, actually...in which case I'll definitely be taking a pass.
Old 12/11/06, 10:57 PM
FR500 Member

If the car doesn't meet expectations, I doubt dealers will get ANY ADMs for the Bullitt, especially if there is no significant power upgrade.

The Bullitt has neither the power of horses, nor the power of the Shelby name to create the kind of feeding frenzy the GT500 is currently enjoying.
Don't think that'll stop them from trying. Where greed is involved, logic goes out the window.
Old 12/12/06, 12:13 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Don't think that'll stop them from trying.
Oh, I KNOW they'll try. I just don't think buyers will be terribly obliging.

I know I won't.
Old 12/12/06, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You're starting to sound a lot like me.

OK, I'll take a crack at this question!

First up, I would never mess with replacing the whole front fascia. I would leave that alone. If I hated it, I probably just wouldn't buy the car. And if the new Bullitt gets a GT/CS hood scoop I will run away from it SO fast...

...but if they don't do anything stupid like that, then, for me, assuming only 310 HP (which I could live with if it can be CAI'd and tuned to almost 350 HP) - then what I will look for as must haves (in no particular order) >>

- DHG (obviously)
- A unique Bullitt interior
- A front fascia different from the GT (GT/CS is probably OK)
- HIDs (particularly if there are no fog lights)
- Lots of Bullitt badging
- Availability of full amenities packages that can be ordered on GT Premium
- An overall cosmetic presentation that is pleasing to the eye and evokes the original car, and looks sufficiently different from the GT, Shelby GT and Shelby GT500

I fully expect the front of the Bullitt will look identical to the photo at the bottom of this post (though DHG obviously).

I'm not certain how I feel about the suspension upgrade or wheels & tires, since all three will likely represent a minimal effort on the part of Ford. I'm guessing lowering will be subtle (read: not enough); tires will still be 235 series; and wheels will be 17". I would therefore prefer to do the suspension upgrade myself (Steeda or Roush), drop the car properly, get the offset right, order up some 18X9.5 gray Bullitt wheels and put 275 tires on all four corners (like on the current Saleen). Same overall Bullitt look, but beefier and more aggressive, without going over the top (think 2001 Bullitt showcar).

And yes, I'd love a hood that is custom to the Bullitt, with the twin vents, though it's probably not a deal breaker...unlike a hood scoop.

Note to Ford >>

NO FAKE HOOD SCOOP ON THE '08 BULLITT!

and if history repeats itself and three colors are offered, i'd like to see true blue replaced with something like a dsg kind of color... obviously, dhg is a must, and i think black should stay as well, but the blue just didn't do anything for me...
Maybe a "bullitt" gray?

If it goes from limited to special I think you will lose people unless it has a nice jump in hp which I don't see them doing to much.

I think the huge hood does need some vents to break it up some but I have to say I would prefer to not have a scoop tacked on a Bullitt edition.

Vents-good
scoops-bad

Old 12/12/06, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by MilStang
Maybe a "bullitt" gray?
No, but maybe the Alloy Metallic.
Old 12/12/06, 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...Vapor Silver BULLITT
Old 12/14/06, 12:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

What do you guys think?
I actually had the same thought regarding the GT500's front fascia. It is just so much slicker than the standard GT unit. But I don't think I'd use the GT500's hood. I'd go a bit more toward the kind of look 2L8IWON employed for his car. For this I think the Shelby CS6 hood would be perfect given it's design, just without the hood pins. And unless the Bullitt comes with the appearance packages front fascia I fully expect to make those changes. (I do intend to buy a Bullitt btw)

To this I expect to add...the GT500's brake setup, the GT500's steering setup, 18" or 20" America Racing wheels (I'd prefer 19's over either but they don't make 'em in the TTII) and some as yet undecided suspension mods.
Old 12/14/06, 06:10 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I actually had the same thought regarding the GT500's front fascia. It is just so much slicker than the standard GT unit. But I don't think I'd use the GT500's hood. I'd go a bit more toward the kind of look 2L8IWON employed for his car. For this I think the Shelby CS6 hood would be perfect given it's design, just without the hood pins. And unless the Bullitt comes with the appearance packages front fascia I fully expect to make those changes. (I do intend to buy a Bullitt btw)

To this I expect to add...the GT500's brake setup, the GT500's steering setup, 18" or 20" America Racing wheels (I'd prefer 19's over either but they don't make 'em in the TTII) and some as yet undecided suspension mods.
That sounds like not a bad way to go. Only thing is you do dimish the car's "limited production" value if you make too many sweeping changes. If you don't care about such things, then it doesn't matter.

Me, I would do similar suspension upgrades (slightly lowered - depending on what Ford sends us from the factory), and add 18X9.5 gray Bullitt wheels with proper offset and 275 tires on all four corners (a la the Saleen S281) to keep the overall theme intact, but yet make the car more beefy and aggressive at the same time.

Quick Reply: Alternatives