2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Signed deal for 30,280 - can my dealer back out?

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow

Suddenly I'm being accused of being dishonest and part of this countries problems. I thought most car dealers were the unscrupulous ones.

Here is the deal.

I asked my dealer if I was locked and protected from any price increases, ford or otherwise (ADM). The sales manager has told me yes on a couple occasions.

I mentioned that I had heard MSRP had changed on this car a few times (but I didn't realize to this level), he said that these are the numbers they have on it and I am locked at my price.

My lawyer is a good friend of mine, I didn't make some appointment with him. We were talking about the car, I said I had a great deal on it. We got to talking and he said, well, you are in a decent position to get it for your agreed upon price if it comes to that. I'm sorry if it came across like I was ramping up to sue the dealer. Not worth my time and aggrivation. I don't have a lawyer on retainer or anything like that.

I have no problem paying for the car. I can afford it without a problem, but I also won't overpay for anything (part of the reason why I can afford to buy it).

I've never sued anyone in my life.

I can get a regular mustang at x-plan like most of you anytime, I'm not looking to leverage this towards another car.

Flip side... what if the dealer is playing a game with me?

Flip side... I didn't know at the time of my deal that Ford had messed around with the pricing about 15 times it seems, I knew it had changed a few times, but not like I am learning now.

Flip side... Isn't the dealer supposed to know more about the pricing on a car than the purchaser? I bought this 3 days AFTER the final pricing was annouced.

Again, yeah, of course I'm hoping that the dealer honors this deal. I don't expect them to, but of course I'm hoping. Wouldn't you?
Old 12/28/06, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

IMO you dudnt come accross as trying to get something for nothing. And for the record the dealer is the one in the business of selling cars not you so as for the previous statements made knocking you that is horse sh*t. What is wrong with this country is people providing a service or product and not knowing sh*t about it such as this dealer. I also had a price on my Shelby GT and it was what you were quoted give or take. But I kept telling my sales person that it doesnt seem right. I said Id love to get it for that but I have beenhearing they are around 36. Finally after days of bugging him, and I mean hounding, he found out that there was no Shelby charge added on. Prior to this he was adamant that this was the price. The blame lies squarely on Ford and dealers for not knowing wtf is going on. My guy called the Ford rep after me nudging him to do so, and she was home sick and couldnt be bothered to help him. I say bothered as the comment the my sales guy made was "she's hungover I think". Very professional.
Old 12/28/06, 07:42 AM

Webba -what did your dealer do?

What did your dealer do once he learned about the pricing? What is your situation now?
Old 12/28/06, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, he called me and said "you were right the price didnt include the Shelby part". I hadnt signed an agreement yet so he was obligated to hold anything. Unfortunately I had been waiting for weeks to get any info and had to push them in the right direction. Anyway, after giving me the new price he then said that the manager would be adding some sort of ADM. Now the manager had tole me he wouldnt do that a few weeks ago. How things change. Then the sales guy told me that they could only give me between 20 and 23 for my 06 GT. So after thinking about it for a sec. and running the numbers in my head I declined the car. He had ordered it before calling me he said and told me he would call when it comes in and I get first dibbs. Im not buying it. The ADM was the last straw for me. I was told that there wouldbt be one and they went back on their word. The numbers just dont work for the car IMO. GL with your dealer. I hope it works out for you and you are happy with the result.
Old 12/28/06, 10:57 AM

Thanks.

My plan as of now is to sit and wait and see what happens. As much as I really like and want the car. I don't see myself paying anything over msrp that I haven't already agreed to.

My hope/guess is that they will realize what happened at some point soon. Then, we work out something in the middle.

I want the car, but don't have to HAVE the car.
Old 12/28/06, 07:50 PM
2&2
GT Member

Newstang, it is simple. Your dealer quoted you a MSRP price for the Mustang with 54 u pakage, to get the right car out to Las Vegas. And that is all they agreed to. I think many dealer will agree to that. So in other words, here is your car. Now Ford will be sending it to Vegas. Then Shelby Auto is going to add there $ 7,400 dollars and send it back to your dealer or you can pick it up in Vegas for a few dollars less. Dont forget about the $1,000 gas tax!! That is really what I think will happen ,when all is said and done. I would start working on trying to get the Mustang for under MSRP if they are really going to make 10,000 of theses cars.
Old 12/28/06, 09:18 PM

My buyers agreement...

Says Shelby GT package on it. Not just 54U.

PLUS, when I was at the dealership, I agreed to MSRP, we HAD not talked price yet. The dealer came out with a sales contract with 30280 on it. I agreed to MSRP, I wasn't sure what MSRP was and this is what they told me. There was no reason for them to NOT give me what they believed to be MSRP. We agreed to MSRP verbally, then THEY wrote 30280 on the form. NOT MSRP, and they had no idea what I thought MSRP was.

My dealer I suspect did not know it cost more, and at that time they had more information than I did.
Old 12/28/06, 09:28 PM

Arrow Why Wait?? You got a Lawyer on it!! Threaten them now !!

Originally Posted by Newstang
My plan as of now is to sit and wait and see what happens. As much as I really like and want the car. I don't see myself paying anything over msrp that I haven't already agreed to.

My hope/guess is that they will realize what happened at some point soon. Then, we work out something in the middle.

I want the car, but don't have to HAVE the car.
By saying you do not see yourself paying anything over MSRP that you have already agreed to does that mean when the SHELBY Charge gets added, you are "OUT"?? if that is the case, get on back to the 2007 Mustang GT section as quick as you can because this game has a higher buy in than you are willing to let loose with! But, if you have sobered up and realize that your dream "Shelby GT" comes in at an MSRP of $36,000 before options and taxes, then stay around and pay close attention to what I have to say... Take the offensive!! Catch them off guard and punch them with your Lawyer if you have to!! if you continue with the "wait and see" game, they will only do the same to you! when they realize where they are in the grand scheme of things, they may put together a plan to stifle your Dreams!! or maybe not. NO WAY should they even dream of any kind of ADM! (Keep waiting and they will..) and by the way these cars are actually limited to 6000 units, not the 10,000 someone mentioned previously. that would be the FORD and SVT Built GT500 I imagine he speaks of. my Shelby GT retails at $30150 before it goes to Las Vegas and gets the GGT added in as well. so all of a sudden, it is a $40,000 car out the door! if they make these cars next year, they will be changed up and even more expensive. (as of now they are only signed on for a one year run) these will always be THE First Shelby Mustangs built/modified at his facility, offered to the Public since 1967! (Notice how the GT-H and these GT's get Shelby Tags on the Dash and under the hood and the Big Bad GT500 Built at FORD hands you an SVT certificate?? but no Shelby Tags unless you want to pony up the big bucks and send it out to Las Vegas for the 40th Anniversary treatment?? ) And trust me on this one fact: Once Craig Jackson Auctions #1 off at B-J in Scottsdale in just a few short weeks, your Dealer and every other FORD Dealer who "slept through or missed" the Sales meeting on these cars, will suddenly be well aware of them and definitely be seeking ADM's!! so why not try this: If you print out some information about the added costs from Shelby and Bring it to them and You inform them of the situation, I am sure your thoughtfulness will be rewarded. and have them rewrite the sales contract with your agreement to cover any invoice from SHELBY at that price and no ADM is to be added. but to continue talking to them under the assumption that "They do not know what you know" is "Deceitful". and usually that type of behaviour is only rewarded at the end of the day by SATAN! who will drive away in the Shelby GT that you should have had!! If you can afford it that is.
Old 12/28/06, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Dave ! better do a little more research on your production number for the 2007 Shelby GT
Old 12/28/06, 09:50 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The President of Shelby Autos says there will be 6000 Shelby GTs made (MY 2007).
http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.p...indpost&p=1738
Old 12/28/06, 09:58 PM

Question Are you calling Amy B. a "Liar"??

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Hey Dave ! better do a little more research on your production number for the 2007 Shelby GT
Why not enlighten the rest of the class??
Old 12/29/06, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the confusion is that previously the talk was of 10,000 units but now it is 6,000.
Old 12/29/06, 08:45 AM
2&2
GT Member

First of all. I think this Shelby GT is an awesome car and I want one . But I am just your everyday hard working Mustang Guy. And customers like me are the reason Carroll Shelby decided to even do this Shelby GT. So the one way to get them into the hands of the Mustang world is to make allot of them. So 6,000 cars are going to be made. That is the same amount they are saying about the California Special. And I can go buy a CS/GT below MSRP right now. That brings me back to my point. I think you will be able to buy these Shelby GT's at MSRP fairly easy. I think the value will hold and maybe go up someday.
Newstang, I hope you get it for 30,000 but I think it will be more like 38,000 for you and the rest of us. Good luck
Old 12/29/06, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Let's do the math: There are approximately 4,200 Ford dealers. Supposedly there are 6,000 to 10,000 Shelby GTs to be built. There are supposed to be approximately 8,300 GT/CS to be built during the production run. The dealer's will discount the GT/CS today. Do we think they will do the same with the Shelby GT? Go over to the Shelby vs FoMoCo vs Dealers thread, and read the comments by AmyB.

The GT/CS is not a Shelby GT, and I doubt it will have the cachet of a Bullitt. It comes down to just how much do you want or need to have a Shelby GT. Yes, I want one, but not at the price the dealers want us to pay.

Last year, my local dealer offered the Shelby GT500 to me for MSRP. Then the price went to $5,000 over. Eventually, the car was sold on Ebay for more than $60,000. I'm going to pass for now. The money saved looks better in the Retirement account. Or a trip to Italy.
Old 12/29/06, 11:38 AM

Arrow Final thoughts on this

Originally Posted by semperfi65
The money saved looks better in the Retirement account. Or a trip to Italy.
Now there is two great ideas!! I've never been to Italy but have heard from most who have that it is the best destination on the globe! like most threads that start out in one direction ie; "Newstangs dilemma", eventually folks drift off the point
and into other matters. I stand by my words of advice which come from years of experience with Ford, as a Businessman, and a Mustang lover. I also feel that this 2006-2007 Sales years of the Mustang will go down in History for having the most "Special Edition" models ever offered by Any car maker! I have owned a handful of Shelby Mustangs in the past and still have 2 now. I plan to drive my 2007 Shelby on nice days. No snow or rain. but I am sure the 3 year/ 36K mile warranty will run the course of time! it takes on average 30 years for a car to gain value (GT-H is a speculator maket currently, let's gauge that car's value when they are selling the last 50 cars...) Now that I have taken this threa and completely hijacked it, I must sign off! Happy new year to all, and I really hope your Mustang dreams come true!!
Old 12/29/06, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Daltondavid
Now there is two great ideas!! I've never been to Italy but have heard from most who have that it is the best destination on the globe! like most threads that start out in one direction ie; "Newstangs dilemma", eventually folks drift off the point
and into other matters. I stand by my words of advice which come from years of experience with Ford, as a Businessman, and a Mustang lover. I also feel that this 2006-2007 Sales years of the Mustang will go down in History for having the most "Special Edition" models ever offered by Any car maker! I have owned a handful of Shelby Mustangs in the past and still have 2 now. I plan to drive my 2007 Shelby on nice days. No snow or rain. but I am sure the 3 year/ 36K mile warranty will run the course of time! it takes on average 30 years for a car to gain value (GT-H is a speculator maket currently, let's gauge that car's value when they are selling the last 50 cars...) Now that I have taken this threa and completely hijacked it, I must sign off! Happy new year to all, and I really hope your Mustang dreams come true!!
Italy is very nice but I don't know if I would call it the best destination. That is my opinion, I really liked Germany more than Italy. Call me crazy, I even liked Afghanistan (it is so different from every other place) minus the bullets and bombs coming my way.

Either way the point is if you feel the car is too much then yes if you choose to take a vacation. There are a lot of great places to go out there and the some of them have great deals. I want to go to Vietnam one day now that we have direct flights there...I wonder if Hau wants to go too?

Old 12/29/06, 01:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Daltondavid
Why not enlighten the rest of the class??
Dave! I haven't called anyone a lier yet ! Do a little independent research other than these talk forums
Old 12/29/06, 01:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
The President of Shelby Autos says there will be 6000 Shelby GTs made (MY 2007).
http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.p...indpost&p=1738
Yes Mark I've read those posts I'm listed on SA's talk forum too! Right off the top of my head I believe that amyb goes by amysa1 on that forum!
Old 12/29/06, 01:57 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm at a loss for how you do better research on Shelby GT production #s when your source is Amy. If she doesn't have the correct #s then
Old 12/29/06, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Can and will........enough said

Quick Reply: Signed deal for 30,280 - can my dealer back out?