2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Signed deal for 30,280 - can my dealer back out?

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/06, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signed deal for 30,280 - can my dealer back out?

Ok,

Question. Today I "signed" a purchase agreement for a Shelby GT. The dealer showed paperwork showing a retail of 30280.

I put down a deposit also. Now, in doing research I find that the car has MSRP of 36k?

Does my dealer have to still sell me the car for that price? I have a receipt for the deposit.

OR could my dealer somehow try to hose me and tell me that I signed a deal for one with the upfitters package... and they are not going to ship it to Shelby?

Any sales guys here who wouldn't mind giving me the lowdown? Or I've seen some posts where guys gave a deposit on a MSRP deal and the dealer came back when they found out it was higher. In my case, I signed paperwork at 30k?

The deal showed tax, licence fees etc. They had all the shelby stuff with it, so I don't think this was a bait and switch. Ultimately, I think the dealer is unaware at this point of the shelby charges.

Thanks.
Old 12/22/06, 11:48 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pretty confident that you will not get a Shelby GT for $30K. That's the price before the car goes to the Shelby facility for $7800 of mods. Basically, $30K gets you a GT with the "outfitter's package". ~$2100 of prep before conversion.
Old 12/23/06, 06:54 AM

Yup, that is my concern.

But, the sale price listed on the agreement is 30,280. IT doesn't just say msrp etc.

That said, I don't think they can just get a stang that comes in with a 54U. I"ll make sure it say ship to vegas.

But, they took my money, and cashed the check. We both signed at 30280, plus tax, licence etc.

Not sure how they could back out. Concerned on what might happen though.
Old 12/23/06, 06:56 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as long as it's clear, you guys have a contract. Sure they can back out, and you'd have the right to walk them to court. From there, nobody know what will happen.
Old 12/23/06, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to ruin your Christmas, but yes they can back out... Make sure you get all the details in writing, and read the fine print. I'm not a sales guy... JMO. If you get it for that price... You Da Man .
Old 12/23/06, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, they can void it. On your buyers oder it should say somewhere that "In the event of increase in price by manufacturer before delivery I agree to pay the difference", and this is put in most buyers orders for this exact reason. Pricing and incentives are never final until date of sale/delivery.
Old 12/23/06, 05:44 PM

Ok, that's interesting.

So then my question is, do they have the right to cash that check?

I don't want to get into a big fight with my dealership obviously.

The other question is this. The order sheet they have shows their invoice, and retail. Is there an "invoice" price and a "retail" price for the shelby package?

Or is it set up so the shelby package gets no mark-up? Hypotheticaly, does that mean the only money the dealer makes is on the difference between invoice and retail (plus holdback) and the shelby package as far as they are concerned is worth no extra money? (unless they add ADM).

I'll be keeping my mouth shut for sure, but when would the dealer learn that this costs more than they have on their order sheet?

Thanks, just confused, a bit worried, and definitely frustrated.
Old 12/23/06, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not trying to justify your dealer, but I can tell you that our dora does not reflect the end price as of yet either.

Yes they will cash your check, as any business is not going to hold any check.

Not sure on the Shelby pricing retail/invoice amount, but I would imagine there is some type of profit.

Just trying to help
Old 12/23/06, 08:08 PM

Thanks.

I know you are trying to help. I appreciate it. Just wondering how to play this when I get the inevitable call.

I suppose even if MSRP goes up I should buy it, sounds like they are going for over that in most places.

Thing is, I really want that car. That 5k is the supercharger though...
Old 12/24/06, 03:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The reality of the market! and Vegas odds! tell me you will be lucky to get the Shelby GT in your drive for under $45,000.. Why would the dealer's handle these differantly than the GT500?....Money talks! and empty pockets walk!.....
Old 12/24/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Yep, The dealer can AND WILL back out and void the deal.

I had the same issue when I ordered a Bullitt back in 2001. Dealer cancelled the invoice and I went elsewhere and got my Bullitt anyway, without a BS ADM.
Old 12/24/06, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
The reality of the market! and Vegas odds! tell me you will be lucky to get the Shelby GT in your drive for under $45,000.. Why would the dealer's handle these differantly than the GT500?....Money talks! and empty pockets walk!.....

Well mine might cost that much, but I am getting a lot of extras and that is why.
Old 12/24/06, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MilStang
Well mine might cost that much, but I am getting a lot of extras and that is why.
I'm sure it's possible if you have a special relationship with a dealer! There have been a few that got the GT500 at MSRP too! But you can count them on your hands and toes!... Lets do some round figure math! 31,000 GT upfiter to Vegas! SA's basic conversion at least 7 or 8 Grand! that has the the Shelby GT pushing $40,000 before any extra goodies! and the dealers will at least bump them $5,000..... Good Luck!
Old 12/24/06, 02:55 PM

we will see.

If I have a contract with everything on it, I may be OK.

That said, the dealer said MSRP, so I figure worst case, I will get it at list when they figure things out. That is my hope!
Old 12/24/06, 03:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Newstang
If I have a contract with everything on it, I may be OK.

That said, the dealer said MSRP, so I figure worst case, I will get it at list when they figure things out. That is my hope!
He can void it, but be nice to him. He may be nice to you and sell it to you for MSRP or better yet invoice.
Once you get the car for MSRP or less, you can turn it for a profit and build a faster mustang for less or keep it and sell it later.
Old 12/24/06, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by karman
He can void it, but be nice to him. He may be nice to you and sell it to you for MSRP or better yet invoice.
Once you get the car for MSRP or less, you can turn it for a profit and build a faster mustang for less or keep it and sell it later.

Yeah, I try to be level headed and treat people right. My hope also is msrp, or maybe invoice as I do have paperwork on everything (need to look at small print) wasn't clear they could void as I agreed on a price.

I don't want to sell it, I want the car, and plan on keeping it. I do want the supercharger though, and maybe that hertz hood...

I should know more Tuesday as they are supposed to get me the final DORA etc.

Dealer is getting two cars, not sure what the other is.
Old 12/27/06, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I try to be level headed and treat people right. My hope also is msrp, or maybe invoice as I do have paperwork on everything (need to look at small print) wasn't clear they could void as I agreed on a price.

I don't want to sell it, I want the car, and plan on keeping it. I do want the supercharger though, and maybe that hertz hood...

I should know more Tuesday as they are supposed to get me the final DORA etc.

Dealer is getting two cars, not sure what the other is.
So...What's the latest from your dealer?
Old 12/27/06, 09:21 PM

nothing new

I'm holding onto my order. They are going to give me a Dora soon. Basically, I fully expect at this point they try to back out. My gut feeling is they have no clue that the vehicle costs more at MSRP.

My guess - they will come back and try to get me to pay the rest. I talked with my lawyer, who thinks I"m in decent position. Who knows. I don't want a problem. I just want the Shelby GT and what I agreed to pay for it. If they made a mistake, they have had a week to let me know. I've talked to them at least 4 times.
Old 12/27/06, 10:29 PM

Talking

at first when I started reading this thread, you seemed half hoping that you hit the "New Car Dealer Mistake lottery" and were pinching yourself to see if it was real. as the thread continues, I see fear creeping into your comments as the prospect that you actually have to PAY for this car becomes evident. I would do this If I were you: go to the Dealer armed with the Knowledge that you have obtained from this site (ie; Shelby conversion cost etc.) and inform him of what you would like to do at this point. A. Demand that you get the car at MSRP or better (since they "screwed up" according to you) at the least they will agree to do an MSRP deal. B. Get your deposit back C. use the "Mistake" as leverage on a great deal on a Left over Mustang GT or GT/CS! I can assure you without knowing you or your dealer, that he is not going to eat $8000 dollars in Shelby charges!!
Old 12/27/06, 11:31 PM

Talking

I talked with my lawyer, who thinks I"m in decent position. Who knows. I don't want a problem. I just want the Shelby GT and what I agreed to pay for it. If they made a mistake, they have had a week to let me know. I've talked to them at least 4 times.
Did you make a phone call to your Attorney for this opinion he offered? or did you make an appointment, let him review the documents of your transaction and then he came up with his determination that you are in a "Decent Position"?? and by saying you are in a "Decent position" what does that exactly mean?? I believe he is saying at the very least, "you can get a refund of your deposit". you mention that they have had a week to let you know if they made a mistake. also that you have talked to thenm 4 times. who did you talk to? what was the topic of conversation? at any point in time have you mentioned to them that they may have made a mistake?? (kind of like when a Bank teller gives you an extra $20 dollar bill, instead of giving it back, I guess you would just keep it huh?? even though it comes out of her pay "She made the mistake right??) I think you are still dreaming. wake up now! the more I think on this, you appear to be part of the reason this country is having troubles. people usually do not contact their Lawyer for Moral guidance. Dishonesty and the word Lawsuit go together like Soap and water. I hope your neighbor uses rock salt on his sidewalk as you would probably "Slip and fall"!

Quick Reply: Signed deal for 30,280 - can my dealer back out?