2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Shelby GT Begins Production, Pricing Announced

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/06, 09:24 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Shelby GT Begins Production, Pricing Announced

NEW 2007 FORD SHELBY GT BEGINS PRODUCTION; FIRST CAR TO BE AUCTIONED AT BARRETT-JACKSON
  • The new Ford Shelby GT is the third model in the modern Shelby Mustang portfolio, joining the 500-horsepower Ford Shelby GT500 and Hertz rental special, Shelby GT-H.
  • The 2007 Ford Shelby GT will be priced a starting MSRP of $36,970.
  • The first production-built Shelby GT, CSM No. 07SGT0001 will go over the auction block in support of the Carroll Shelby Childrenā€™s Foundation at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Collector Car Event on Saturday, January 20th.
  • Ford Shelby Mustangs have proven extremely desirable: The first publicly available Shelby GT500 sold for $600,000 in January 2006, the first Shelby GT-H sold to the public commanded $250,000 in late July, and Shelby GT-Hs coming off Hertz rental duty are selling for $68,000-$90,000 at auction.

LAS VEGAS, Dec.22, 2006 ā€“ The first Ford Shelby GT CSM No. 07SGT0001 will fire up its engine and drive out of the Shelby Automobiles build center in Las Vegas in celebration of the start of production of the third model in the modern Ford Shelby Mustang portfolio. The Shelby GT features a 4.6-liter V-8, classic Shelby design cues, and performance modifications and will be priced at $36,970 MSRP including applicable taxes and destination and delivery.

ā€œI couldnā€™t be more excited to see production up and running on a new Shelby Mustang,ā€ says Carroll Shelby, CEO and Chairman of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. ā€œThe new Shelby GT is a great addition to the Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT-H, and it will only further the lead that Mustang has in the coming muscle car wars.ā€

The Shelby GT is the third modern Shelby Mustang produced through a collaboration of Ford and Carroll Shelby. In addition to the 2007 Shelby GT500, Ford and Shelby created 500 copies of the Ford Shelby GT-H, which are available to rent through select Hertz rental centers.

The Shelby GT joining the Ford line-up is the result of customers and dealers demanding a retail version of the Shelby GT-H. Ford and Shelby Automobiles were able to capitalize on much of the development work that was done on the Shelby GT-H, and put together a ā€˜Go Fastā€™ production program delivering the Shelby GT in six months.

ā€œThe Shelby GT500 has been a huge success, but we have been overwhelmed at the number of people who want to buy a retail version of the Shelby GT-H,ā€ continues Shelby. ā€œThe Shelby GT will perfectly compliment the GT500, just like the original GT350 and GT500 did back in the 60ā€™s.ā€

Be first on the block to own the new small-block Shelby

The first production unit of the Shelby GT will be auctioned off to support the Carroll Shelby Childrenā€™s Foundation charity at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Collector Car Event in January 2007. Classic Shelby Mustangs have always been a crowd favorite at Barrett-Jackson auctions, pushing muscle car prices to new heights, and the modern Shelby Mustangs have proven to be no different.

In January this year, an early production Shelby 2007 GT500 sold at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction for $600,000, with proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Childrenā€™s Foundation. On July 28, a Shelby GT-H was sold for $250,000 at EAA AirVenture, with proceeds benefiting the Youth Eagles aviation education program. Now, some of the first Shelby GT-Hs are exiting the Hertz rental fleet and going to private auction where they are consistently averaging between $68,000-$90,000 in sale.

Shelby-inspired performance, proven by Ford Racing

Under the hood, the Ford Racing Power Pack includes a 90 millimeter cold-air intake and a new performance engine calibration for improved response. The high-flow exhaust system with X-pipe crossover offers better power delivery and a throaty V-8 exhaust note. A shorter 3.55:1 rear-axle ratio is installed to capitalize on the Shelby GT coupeā€™s extra power when accelerating off the line. For Shelby GT models equipped with a manual transmission, a Hurst short-throw shifter is installed for more precise shift action.

The Shelby GT driving dynamics are fine tuned with the Ford Racing Handling Pack, which was developed by the same engineers that developed the Ford Racing FR500C, which won the 2005 Grand-Am Cup Championship. New coil springs drop the overall ride height by an inch-and-a-half for a more aggressive stance and lower center of gravity.
Stiffer dampers and front swaybar further enhance cornering feel and body control. To showcase the key performance modifications, Ford Racing painted all the key suspension components, including the damper, spring, and swaybar Ford Racing Blue.

A front strut-tower brace adds additional strength to the chassis structure, and P235/55ZR18 high-performance tires maximize the benefits of the chassis upgrades.

Shelby GT models will begin as a stock Mustang GT assembled at AutoAlliance International assembly plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The cars are then shipped to the Shelby Automobiles facility in Las Vegas for modification before delivery to Ford dealerships.
Old 12/22/06, 12:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/22/f...arrett-jackso/
Old 12/22/06, 03:55 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they drop the aluminum grille?
Old 12/22/06, 09:11 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by TheMustangSource
...Be first on the block to own the new small-block Shelby...
Sorry for the extreme quote editing, but this line got me thinking about the unexpected (not really!) higher price/ADM's on the Shelby GT. I thought it would be more fitting if it said "Be the first block in your neighborhood to own the new small-block Shelby"
Old 12/22/06, 09:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Think Gucci.:gay:
The Shelby GT is a designer car.
You can build your own that is better and cheaper, even if you pay somebody else to modify it.
Old 12/22/06, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
You can build your own that is better and cheaper, even if you pay somebody else to modify it.
Personally happily married but would love to own a shelby ands would love to take LV delivery and drive the **** back to FLA, but cannnot justify the price....especially with the ADMs on top o' the lube job from the home office!!!!
Old 12/22/06, 11:50 PM
Closet American

Hmmmm...never heard Carroll Shelby called gay before.
Old 12/23/06, 08:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Well the first line is definitely not me...

Neither is the second line and Scothew can probably attest I am the furthest from that one...

So I guess I am a fool for wanting one built for me with a Shelby name on it for a little more than I could pay someone else to do it.

Then call me a fool!!

The car is not for everyone, no car is but it is the car I have been waiting for a very long time.

Old 12/23/06, 11:49 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MilStang
Well the first line is definitely not me...

Neither is the second line and Scothew can probably attest I am the furthest from that one...

So I guess I am a fool for wanting one built for me with a Shelby name on it for a little more than I could pay someone else to do it.

Then call me a fool!!

The car is not for everyone, no car is but it is the car I have been waiting for a very long time.

No explanation required. I think the Shelby GT is a nice package overall and that you'll be very happy with it.
Old 12/23/06, 12:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
No explanation required. I think the Shelby GT is a nice package overall and that you'll be very happy with it.

Oh I will my friend! I have had plans for a car like this going over three years now. I will finally have the car and at a better starting point for what I have planned.

Old 12/23/06, 01:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
my beef is the price...too much$
Old 12/23/06, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes... Too much indeed . What... to actully get one of these cars will cost approximately 40K, right... w/325 hp? Get an 07 GT for about 27ish... add 13K and you got one helluva car w/ whatever hp you heart desires. Same goes for the GT500... Sure, buy it at MSRP and you have an awesome affordable car, pay a penny more and it's a "rip-off".
Old 12/26/06, 10:46 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
my beef is the price...too much$
Had it come directly from Ford with the performance and handling packages it would be at least $4K less. Some of the aftermarket tuners put out some good products but their pricing sucks, big time. It makes a case for waiting for a Ford SE.
Old 12/26/06, 04:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really love the car BUT....... By the time Tax, License, GGT we are at $40,000+ and I paid $27,500 out the door for my 06 Gt. I could modify mine for under $5,000 and have the same car minus the badges and stuff.
My Dealer is very good and I'm number one to get it if I want it but could not order specific and they said the first one in is White, 5speed. If I take it it would take all my savings plus lose money on my 06 Gt I'm sure.
Old 12/26/06, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
I really love the car BUT....... By the time Tax, License, GGT we are at $40,000+ and I paid $27,500 out the door for my 06 Gt. I could modify mine for under $5,000 and have the same car minus the badges and stuff.
For some people, the value of the car is more than the sum of its parts. Yes, you could build a car that would perform as well or better for less money but it wouldn't be a Shelby. For some, that's an important distinction and they're willing to pay for it.

Personally, I'm with you. I'm not in love with the Shelby name enough to fork that much over for one.
Old 12/26/06, 09:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TomServo92
For some people, the value of the car is more than the sum of its parts. Yes, you could build a car that would perform as well or better for less money but it wouldn't be a Shelby. For some, that's an important distinction and they're willing to pay for it.

Personally, I'm with you. I'm not in love with the Shelby name enough to fork that much over for one.
Which brings me back to my main point.

Old 12/26/06, 10:32 PM
Closet American

Which brings me back to my main point.

Well, lots of cars are "designer cars."

So...
Old 12/26/06, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

The extra cost is the Shelby name you are getting a new car that is modified by Shelby autos. Just like the 65-67 Mustangs were before. You are buying more heritage than performance this time around.

-Deric
Old 12/26/06, 11:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just wonder if I turn it down that I'll kick myself really hard down the road???? You guys are right If you really want the Shelby Name it will cost you for the heritage.
Old 12/27/06, 08:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
I just wonder if I turn it down that I'll kick myself really hard down the road???? You guys are right If you really want the Shelby Name it will cost you for the heritage.
It's your money. If you truly want a real Shelby, then go for it.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT Begins Production, Pricing Announced