2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

To modify or not to modify the shelby gt

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/07, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To modify or not to modify the shelby gt

Hi gang,
Well I pick-up the Shelby tomorrow in VA and then driving it back to NJ so it should be an interesting drive.

But how many of you have modded or will mod these cars??? I am thinking about doing headers and s/c only and then the car would be complete...

Thoughts.......
Old 7/28/07, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ok...my $0.02.....why buy a brand new car and then through another 5-10K in mods? Why not just find a car that has everything you want?

If I had a shelby, roush, saleen, SVT...I would never mod it...
Old 7/28/07, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea hwat cody said pretty much, if i was gonna put a supercharger on sometihng it'd be a regular GT not an SE
Old 7/28/07, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

It's your car, do what you want. Though I do wonder why you'd pay the premium for an SGT if you had plans like that. I fear these cars aren't going to hold their value much better than SN95 Cobras did/do.
Old 7/28/07, 06:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Shelby GT I would not mod. The Shelby/SVO GT500 I would.
Old 7/28/07, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Unless you were going to send it to SAI in Vegas this fall or the new east coast mod shop (if and when) it opens. I wouldn't touch it. The fact is you bought a car for more than it's parts cost, BECAUSE it's a SHELBY. If you go back now and mess with it you'll ruin what ever value it has or will have. Mods are GREAT on a stock GT. If this was your intent you would have been better off installing the SGT FRPs and your other toys than paying what you did for an SGT only to mod it.

In the end...as has been said, it's YOUR car so do what you will...but you did ask!
Old 7/28/07, 06:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RobK
It's your car, do what you want. Though I do wonder why you'd pay the premium for an SGT if you had plans like that. I fear these cars aren't going to hold their value much better than SN95 Cobras did/do.
I agree with the first part but not the second. These will do well because of the name and because the GT500 will stay out of most people's reach. That means if someone wants a Shelby it will be the SGT which will keep it interesting.

The issue with the SN95 Cobras is the same with the 1979-1981 Cobras lack of pedigree. They are great cars but Cobra's in name plate only and not considered, by many, in the same level as "Shelby" Cobras. That I think, and the SN95 design, has kept them at a level that isn't as high as some may have liked.
Old 7/28/07, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
go for it make it the way you want it to be.
Old 7/28/07, 08:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GTH395
I agree with the first part but not the second. These will do well because of the name and because the GT500 will stay out of most people's reach. That means if someone wants a Shelby it will be the SGT which will keep it interesting.

The issue with the SN95 Cobras is the same with the 1979-1981 Cobras lack of pedigree. They are great cars but Cobra's in name plate only and not considered, by many, in the same level as "Shelby" Cobras. That I think, and the SN95 design, has kept them at a level that isn't as high as some may have liked.
The only problem with the SGT is a lack of content for the money. Yes it's a true Shelby, moreso than the GT500 in fact, but I'm not convinced. It'll likely maintain a gap over a standard GT in line with the differential between the two at MSRP. It'll likely hang on better as standard GTs drop off down the road, but I don't think we'll see them lined up at Barrett-Jackson in 40 years. This is my humble opinion of course.
Old 7/28/07, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

It'll likely hand on better as standard GTs drop off down the road, but I don't think we'll see them lined up at Barrett-Jackson in 40 years. This is my humble opinion of course.
As a percentage of the vehicles price I think the GT will do as good as the Shelby GT. I think they will quickly drop in price over the next few years. Whether they have any value 40 years down the road? That will depend on too many things for me to factor in... Like what happens if/when the global warming morons outlaw gas powered engines? Not a good investment in my opinion.<O</O
Sort of like baseball cards, when nobody was collecting them they were worth nothing... Then they got to be popular and expensive with some of the rare cards out there. How rare will this year’s rookie of the year be when people are buying several cases of cards and sticking them away?<O
How rare will these cars be when people will be putting them in storage?<O</O
Most importantly... who is buying them now... If it is largely baby boomers with a nostalgic tear in their eye, who then will care about them in 40 years?<O</O
The old cars were special... Larger than life at a time when you could do things that you never will now. I just don't think these will ever create/retain that special charisma. The GT500 has a shot, but the rest? Who knows?<O</O
Old 7/28/07, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
As a percentage of the vehicles price I think the GT will do as good as the Shelby GT. I think they will quickly drop in price over the next few years. Whether they have any value 40 years down the road? That will depend on too many things for me to factor in... Like what happens if/when the global warming morons outlaw gas powered engines? Not a good investment in my opinion.<o></o>
Sort of like baseball cards, when nobody was collecting them they were worth nothing... Then they got to be popular and expensive with some of the rare cards out there. How rare will this year’s rookie of the year be when people are buying several cases of cards and sticking them away?<o></o>
How rare will these cars be when people will be putting them in storage?<o></o>
Most importantly... who is buying them now... If it is largely baby boomers with a nostalgic tear in their eye, who then will care about them in 40 years?<o></o>
The old cars were special... Larger than life at a time when you could do things that you never will now. I just don't think these will ever create/retain that special charisma. The GT500 has a shot, but the rest? Who knows?<o></o>
We're definitely on the same page here. They're trying to create the legends that the cars of the past became. I think you're right regarding the demographic. At the price point they're trying to get it boomers that are buying them. Today's Gen Y is lusting after Skyline GTRs and Lancer Evos.
Old 7/29/07, 12:09 AM
GT Member

We're definitely on the same page here. They're trying to create the legends that the cars of the past became. I think you're right regarding the demographic. At the price point they're trying to get it boomers that are buying them. Today's Gen Y is lusting after Skyline GTRs and Lancer Evos.
My car gets way more attention from those "Gen Y"'s than any boomers. Sorry, but I wish I had a dollar for every time some kid yelled a compliment from a car. Or that cute late teen blonde giving me the thumbs up as she passed me the other day on the highway. The there was the car load of kids that yelled "'light'um up!" at a stop light. Oh, and I can't forget the group of 7 or so late teens that walked around my car over and over asking me questions at Great America. Oh yes, then there is the 16/17 year old girl with her parents that I could see was pointing and saying "this is what I want" to her dad.

Anyway...I've had a LOT of Mustangs and NONE has EVER gotten the attention and looks this one does. NONE. Even parked next to a GT500 at our local cruise night people comment they like the SGT looks better.

So hey, say what you will...you don't own one...but I'm sure, deep down in places you don't want to talk about, you wish you did! Or maybe you will when one passes you and you see just how unbelievably plain a typical GT looks. I've had BOTH and I have a great picture of them side by side before I traded my 05' and there's no comparison. NONE.

Value in the future? I could care less! I bought this car for me and to DRIVE, and DRIVE, and DRIVE. I intend to keep it for many many years and could really care less if some guy gets to sell it in 40 years for $120,000. I want some guy in 40 years complaining I drove it too much!

Of course your mileage my vary!
Old 7/29/07, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

We're definitely on the same page here. They're trying to create the legends that the cars of the past became.
Your exactly right... And they are going about it the wrong way.
Old 7/29/07, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

My car gets way more attention from those "Gen Y"'s than any boomers.
Mine gets compliments from both about equally, which still surprises me that the body style is now 4 years old and still people compliment me on my car.

So hey, say what you will...you don't own one...but I'm sure, deep down in places you don't want to talk about, you wish you did! Or maybe you will when one passes you and you see just how unbelievably plain a typical GT looks. I've had BOTH and I have a great picture of them side by side before I traded my 05' and there's no comparison. NONE.
You're right... I love the look, but not the price. This car should have been $35,000 loaded, NOT 36,000 striped! I am glad you had the money to buy it and that you love it. You own the car... Tell me something, what couldn't be done at Flat Rock? Nothing I have seen on that car could not be done on the assembly line. Maybe we see when the Bullit comes out maybe not! Again, I like the car, the concept overall is good and it looks great. Too pricey for me.

Value in the future? I could care less! I bought this car for me and to DRIVE, and DRIVE, and DRIVE. I intend to keep it for many many years and could really care less if some guy gets to sell it in 40 years for $120,000. I want some guy in 40 years complaining I drove it too much!
And there you go... That is how I would do it as well. Enjoy the car for what is and not some BS investment. I am glad you love the car, I am sure I would too if I owned it.
Old 7/29/07, 09:35 PM

The Shelby name sez it all.....they may or may not hold or increase in value in years to come...I personaly think they will go up because of its retro look compaired to the pre 05 stangs.
A good example is the GT-H prices a more limited run than the 07 SGT I know but they are on they way up.
I happen to own a black 07 SGT so again I am prob. biased but it stands out in a crowd..I get tons of looks and ppl flock to it at every car show I hit .
Old 7/30/07, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Well I picked it up yesterday and I am so happy I got this car. I spent maybe 8 hrs driving her back up to NJ so I put about 400 miles on her. The car is amazing and I got tons of looks, people pulling up to me asking questions, people taking photos of the car while I was driving. I am really thinking twice about modding, as i really like the way it is now, but it needs to be louder in the exhaust department.
Old 7/30/07, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am planning on having the S/C installed on mine. Either at SAI in Vegas or a future east coast mod shop. I am going to the tasca Ford show in RI August 25....date may be off .....and there is talk they may be the mod shop. I am hopeful they will be as I may just have them do it either way. They are also well respected in the mod world. Back in the day they were huge on the east coast.
As fas as looks goes, this car is unreal. I took a cruise down to the beach Friday night. Its a strip with bars and shops and tons of foot traffic. Its called Old ORchard beach for those familiar with Maine. Anyway, there is alot of cars cruising down there. Some real nice rides. And you would not believe the response my SGT gets. People with cell phone cameras taking pics as they walk by crossing the roads. People pull along side you and give you a thumbs up or "nice ride". Everywhere I go people do a double take and stare. Best of all it is a fun ride and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.
Old 7/30/07, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Torrence
but it needs to be louder in the exhaust department.
It will get louder, just wait. The GTA exhaust will deepen... give it 1500 miles or so before you ditch them. I love mine!
Old 7/30/07, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Webba
I am planning on having the S/C installed on mine. Either at SAI in Vegas or a future east coast mod shop. I am going to the tasca Ford show in RI August 25....date may be off .....and there is talk they may be the mod shop. I am hopeful they will be as I may just have them do it either way. They are also well respected in the mod world. Back in the day they were huge on the east coast.
As fas as looks goes, this car is unreal. I took a cruise down to the beach Friday night. Its a strip with bars and shops and tons of foot traffic. Its called Old ORchard beach for those familiar with Maine. Anyway, there is alot of cars cruising down there. Some real nice rides. And you would not believe the response my SGT gets. People with cell phone cameras taking pics as they walk by crossing the roads. People pull along side you and give you a thumbs up or "nice ride". Everywhere I go people do a double take and stare. Best of all it is a fun ride and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.
What s/c you going with? I really don't want to ditch the strut tower brace that the car came with.
Old 7/30/07, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

i say do whatever you want!!

i'd keep it stock though.

Quick Reply: To modify or not to modify the shelby gt