2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Finally coming around: Shelby GT not so bad, IMO

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/06, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Finally coming around: Shelby GT not so bad, IMO

Being an avid Mustang fanatic, the new Shelby GT has been on my mind a lot ever since it was announced. At first I was EXTREMELY disapointed in the whole thing and I stated as much in a few posts. Which is the main reason I started this thread.

As many have said, it is the modern day equivalent of a '65 GT350. (Which, like any true Mustang fan, I love) Strangely what turned me around was thinking about the name, Shelby GT. It's simply that. A GT modified by Shelby. Although I think it could be more correctly called an FRPP GT since all the performance upgrades are FRPP and none are by Shelby. (Only installed by them) Maybe that's what got under my skin in the beginning.

So although I don't absolutely hate it anymore, I won't be in line to buy one... as I'm sure many will, but I honestly believe that is more for the name than anything else.

The one thing I will never be sold on is that riveted hood scoop. I still don't understand that.
Old 9/16/06, 04:43 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I have driven just about every Mustang Shelby there is and for all their glory, with the exception of their present inflated value, none of them come close to the present Mustang GT. Add the Shelby mods and there is none of them that can carry the Shelby GT's jock strap. Anyone who states otherwise is letting their emotions do the talking. By far, the Shelby GT is the best Shelby production, if not for other plans I would get one myself.
Old 9/16/06, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think the first Shelbys are? They are factory Mustangs taken in by Shelby and modified so I don't see the diff. I would love a new Shelby GT and proudly call it a true Shelby, of course its a mute point for now unless I win the lottery. I am excited in the Shelbys and the direction that Ford it taking the Mustang.
Old 9/16/06, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had known that I could have bought a Shelby GT coming out of a Shelby facility I would have waited. I think the car is simply done and not overstated. 325 HP, nice body mods and good suspension with a warranty from Ford. Should have added his own wheels and removed the side GT emblem but other than that I think it rocks! Bold Moves!
Old 9/18/06, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I admit its really growing on me. The fake scoop with riviots is just pitiful and ruins the look but it can hopefully be dealt with. It needs bigger brakes and a blower. I simply could not consider the car any other way. I love the handling upgrades and so forth but the car as it stands it not going to feel anymore powerful than my mach 1. It would be hard pressed to out run a mach in stock trim. I know some will say there is more to a car than power and I agree to an extent but Im not coughing up that kind of money that wont go down the 1/4 any faster than the mach's will. I understand the twistys would be different all together. But Mach's and regular gt's can be made to handle better too for a price.

I also fully understand that the 05's and up have some superior characteristics compared to the older stangs. I have driven both and you will not get an argument out of me and in fact I love the s197's.

Does anybody have any information on what blower might be used? From what I understand it has been confirmed as a option right?
Old 9/19/06, 05:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Amy has confirmed it but not what brand it will be. She is a woman after all so I think she is trying to get us to mind read and throw a temper tantrum when we dont get our way, being the guys we are of course
Old 9/19/06, 06:05 AM
Cobra R Member

i really like it. If i had known about it before i bought my perf white 07... i probably would have seen if i could have gotten one. oh well. i'll just make mine better
Old 9/19/06, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always liked it, just kept my mouth shut while everyone bashed it. I have not seen one Ford SE EVER that I did not like, sure some parts of each but none of the production SE's have ever been ugly. If I could afford one I would buy the Shelby in a heart beat. The american auto makers have a lot of history behind them, thats something the foreign car makers can never touch, so what Ford needs to keep doing is what American cars do best high power rear wheel drive beasts.
Old 10/2/06, 06:07 PM

After seeing the post about the GT getting 3.73 gears, I'm liking it even more. If it wasn't for the color selection and the rumors about the GT350, I'd almost consider buying one. (assuming there was a hood scoop delete option )
Old 10/2/06, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by StangNut
(assuming there was a hood scoop delete option )

Yes Hood Scoop Delete Option
Old 10/2/06, 06:40 PM
GT Member

After seeing the post about the GT getting 3.73 gears, I'm liking it even more. If it wasn't for the color selection and the rumors about the GT350, I'd almost consider buying one. (assuming there was a hood scoop delete option )
I'm with you. Only i'd consider a CS6 GT-H hood, stripe delete, and paint the stripes on.
Old 10/3/06, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 127bull
What do you think the first Shelbys are? They are factory Mustangs taken in by Shelby and modified so I don't see the diff. I would love a new Shelby GT and proudly call it a true Shelby, of course its a mute point for now unless I win the lottery. I am excited in the Shelbys and the direction that Ford it taking the Mustang.

The difference is 40 + years of technology. Those first Shelbys never had that.
Old 10/3/06, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Merlot
The difference is 40 + years of technology. Those first Shelbys never had that.
I understand that part, I was responding to the first post when he stated that "As many have said, it is the modern day equivalent of a '65 GT350. (Which, like any true Mustang fan, I love) Strangely what turned me around was thinking about the name, Shelby GT. It's simply that. A GT modified by Shelby. Although I think it could be more correctly called an FRPP GT since all the performance upgrades are FRPP and none are by Shelby."
He stated he was turned off because the Selby GT was just a GT modified by Shelby, I stated that the orginal GT350s were just that Mustangs modified by Shelby, and thank goodness they were.
Old 10/4/06, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 127bull
I understand that part, I was responding to the first post when he stated that "As many have said, it is the modern day equivalent of a '65 GT350. (Which, like any true Mustang fan, I love) Strangely what turned me around was thinking about the name, Shelby GT. It's simply that. A GT modified by Shelby. Although I think it could be more correctly called an FRPP GT since all the performance upgrades are FRPP and none are by Shelby."
He stated he was turned off because the Selby GT was just a GT modified by Shelby, I stated that the orginal GT350s were just that Mustangs modified by Shelby, and thank goodness they were.

glad you understand. In post #3 you could'nt see the difference.
Old 10/4/06, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Merlot
glad you understand. In post #3 you could'nt see the difference.
What are you taking about. Do you honestly think I was talking about the cars of the 60s and the cars of today being the same technology? I was referring to how the GT350 and Shelby GT are produced, as in they started as regular Mustangs taken to S<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comShelby</st1:City> and modified, back in the 60's as in today. Of course they don't use the same parts or technology used on the GT350 and the Shelby GT they are totally different cars. Stangnut said that that’s what turned him off about the Shelby GT that it was just a Mustang modified by <st1:City><ST1Shelby. This is also how</st1:City> the GT350 was made, just a Mustang taken to Shelby and modified. He loves the GT350(who doesn't). So I don't see how you can love one car and not like another based on the production procedures especially if they are born by the same process, though they are totally different cars when it comes to today’s technology. Sorry you couln't understand what I meant in my post #3.
Old 10/4/06, 08:12 AM

One of the big differences in the process is Shelby is simply adding on parts packages designed and made by someone else instead of coming up with their own ideas and designs.
But, yes, in a small way, the idea is the same. The Shelby company IS offering a faster, better handling, and "different" looking Mustang compared to what you can buy directly from Ford. The difference now is Shelby is borrowing everything but the hood scoop from Ford.
Old 10/4/06, 08:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Adding 'oem' parts to a SE that aren't made directly by Ford isn't anything new...just so happens that we KNOW where/who makes these parts.

Take for example, the Cobra R in 00... had a borla exhaust.
Or say a SE this year had a hurst shifter...
Is it because its a large company?

Or would one simply be against an 03 Mach1 because CDC designed the shaker?

I guess one thing on peoples minds re. these types of cars, is that it is a 2 step build process... the car is completely made as a GT, then sent to Shelby for a tweak into a Shelby GT.
That too is nothing new, same thing happens to Saleens, Roush's etc.

What gets me is the price. I'm used to the Bullitt package or GT/CS where those packages cost a marginal increase. For example, I could get a Bullitt for close to the same price as a fully loaded GT coupe around 01. My dollar value for that car was great for what you got.

I just don't agree with paying X dollars for a 'package/special' car when I can put most of those parts on at the dealership for less. I'm one who doesn't care if its a real Roush, if its got a Roush supercharger, thats all I want.
Some want that collectibilty and resale value.
Old 10/5/06, 09:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was certainly on the fence about this car. Not quite to the bashing stage that many were and I didn't gush over it 'cause of some stick on badge. It changed my mind when I saw it in person at the QMX show. Granted it *almost* has everything I want to put on or in my Mustang. I dunno, maybe the pics on a computer screen don't do it justice or whatever. In person, it gained a fan in me.

I too hate fake scoops. If it ain't doing anything but looks then ditch it. However, the scoop on the Shelby GT looks cool, IMO. Can't put my finger on it but it's the first scoop on a s197 that I liked, besides the shaker.

IF I knew about it and IF there wasn't some ADM on it I too would have waited...
Old 10/6/06, 09:53 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the big differences in the process is Shelby is simply adding on parts packages designed and made by someone else instead of coming up with their own ideas and designs.
But, yes, in a small way, the idea is the same. The Shelby company IS offering a faster, better handling, and "different" looking Mustang compared to what you can buy directly from Ford. The difference now is Shelby is borrowing everything but the hood scoop from Ford.
Stangnut, your right, except we took the parts and made the combo work. There are other parts we didnt use. And we are trying to be a good partner for Ford and using all their parts. But for aftermarket, we already have a paxton supercharger for the v6 and V8 and its shelby exclusive. We also have a host of other parts coming that will be shelby, it takes time. We have been at this exactly one year...

Amy
Old 10/6/06, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't forget everyone, the original Shelby's had a lot of existing ford parts on them too. They did the same thing back then as they are doing now, they took ford parts and made the combo work.

I have to say that this car looks much better then the GT500. I wanted a GT500 real bad but all ways felt something was missing. Once I seen this Shelby, I figured it out. It lost it some of the retro look. I was seduced by the 500hp engine and didn't care how it looked. Now we have a Shelby that looks like a Shelby. I just hope I can afford the blower option and that it will match or beat the GT500 1/4 mile numbers. The car is lighter so we don't need 500 hp to beat it.

Quick Reply: Finally coming around: Shelby GT not so bad, IMO