2006 Shelby GT-H and 2007 GT-H Convertible Share Your Shelby Rental Stories & Photos

USA Today Article: Mustang man gets Hertz all souped up

Old 7/5/06, 05:34 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post USA Today Article: Mustang man gets Hertz all souped up

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...lby-usat_x.htm for the article and http://www.usatoday.com/money/graphi...ng40/flash.htm for the graphic.
Old 7/6/06, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Ouch!! I had no idea Shelby's company was in such dire financial condition, I would have thought they were doing quite well:

"The automotive operations' parent company, Carroll Shelby International, hasn't been kind to investors. Since going public in 2003, the share price has dropped from a high of $5.50 a share to 23 cents a share on June 29 in trading on the Pink Sheets. Besides Shelby Automobiles, CSI includes a licensing group, a Goodyear racing tire distributorship in Las Vegas and an engine plant in Gardena, Calif.

The company declined to provide a copy of its latest financial statements. Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles, says CSI lost $2 million in 2003, $4 million in 2004 and $5.9 million in 2005.

But, she adds, the company is poised to break even or make a profit this year. To turn it around, Boylan says, it is cutting debt, adding licensees, such as American Racing wheels and Mac Tools, and making deals like the one with Hertz. The company is now selling its own line of aftermarket parts for current-model Mustangs, from custom hoods to superchargers."
Old 7/6/06, 10:32 AM
FR500 Member

If I'm not mistaken I think Amy has actually posted here before. This kind of stuff is nothing new for a niche business like this. The biggest mistake was going public. They should have kept it a private business.
Old 7/6/06, 10:45 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm...

I wonder if this means we'll see the Shelby name spread around more to raise money through licenses? Anybody want a Shelby Fusion or Focus?

Old 7/6/06, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
The biggest mistake was going public. They should have kept it a private business.
AMEN! I worked for an architecture firm that was a conglomeration made up of smaller firms, ours had originally been in business for over 40 years. The umbrella company decided to be the first ever arch. firm to go public. After going public the whole thing was in the toilet within 4 years. It was amazing.

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby

I wonder if this means we'll see the Shelby name spread around more to raise money through licenses? Anybody want a Shelby Fusion or Focus?
LOL! Why stop there, I'm sure we can look forward to Shelby lighters, Shelby salt & pepper shakers, Shelby coin banks, etc. Hey, if Harley-Davidson can do it....
Old 7/6/06, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
...or maybe a Shelby Charger with a 2.2L engine!
Old 7/6/06, 07:23 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Old 7/6/06, 10:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Nooooooo.... not again!

Old 7/9/06, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

NEVER SAY NEVER...........he helped build the viper..........and look at what that car has become as the years pass.......
Old 7/10/06, 01:56 AM
MSP
Banned

Boy! You guys sure are brutal to the only person on earth to give a **** about Mustangs! without Shelby, the Mustang would have ceased to exist many years ago..

I am shocked Brad has not deleted this thread.. What a pure lack of respect.. I am ashamed for you..

@AMY

Dont mind these guys Amy, we all support you 100%!! Hang in there.. Maybe I will go rent a GT-H just to show my support for you guys!!
Old 7/10/06, 10:44 PM
Cam Tease

MSP, seriously. Very little suprises me, but if you said something worthwhile...I would have a heart attack.

I would sarcastically ask "refresh my memory again about Shelby saving the Mustang?" but I'm still trying to figure out how you function in society.
Old 7/10/06, 10:56 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
MSP, seriously. Very little suprises me, but if you said something worthwhile...I would have a heart attack.

I would sarcastically ask "refresh my memory again about Shelby saving the Mustang?" but I'm still trying to figure out how you function in society.
LOL!! Obviously alot better than you do! Maybe it was over the top slightly.. However, the most expensive and oldest Mustangs in the world carry Shelby's name, so thats got to stand for something.. Maybe not much.. But a significant amount...

Could you even afford to buy anything with Shelby's name on it? I seriously doubt it.. LOL!! Let it go AMM.. There is alot more to discuss than your bitter hatred for me..
Let it go man.. Enjoy life alittle!
Old 7/11/06, 02:20 PM
Cam Tease

And for cardiac arrest I still wait.
Old 7/13/06, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Typical overreaction MSP. Read the thread again, there are a few comments about how bad the Shelby organization's financial situation is and some lighthearted jokes about what they could do to improve their bottom line. I don't see any of this "lack of respect" that you've somehow interpreted. I for one think Shelby (the man) is the coolest, he's an icon. He's incredibly creative and is to be admired for everything he's done for the automotive community over these many years. His company is a money-losing proposition for now, and as I mentioned that surprises me because I would have thought his company would be raking in the dough with everything they've got going on. Hopefully they can turn it around somehow, and if they decide to follow my advice and come out with some Shelby salt & pepper shakers I would probably buy them!
Old 8/6/06, 02:03 AM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by MSP
Boy! You guys sure are brutal to the only person on earth to give a **** about Mustangs! without Shelby, the Mustang would have ceased to exist many years ago..

I am shocked Brad has not deleted this thread.. What a pure lack of respect.. I am ashamed for you..

@AMY

Dont mind these guys Amy, we all support you 100%!! Hang in there.. Maybe I will go rent a GT-H just to show my support for you guys!!
Why thank you for the support, it is appreciated!!

we have a lot of cool stuff coming, and a lot of great licensing partners, but I hadn't thought of salt and pepper shakers...lol Hummmmmmmm

AMy

Shelby Autos
Old 8/6/06, 11:37 AM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by MSP
You know, the Shelby name would not nearly be as big, without the relationship wITH Ford. We wouldn't be back today without the relationship with Ford and the new Mustang, So even though we are shelby, we very much thank ford for the Mustang......

Amy
Old 8/6/06, 03:02 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
No doubt the tuner car business is tough competition.

I think the success of Shelby in the Mustang market would improve greatly if the reliance was on the foundation of previously successful and established cues. They worked before and Shelby fans long for it. It doesn't necessarily have to be an exact reproduction, evolution works as well, proven by the current stock design as opposed to the extravagant tuner designs. It is is good for shows but IMO the Mustang crowd is bit more conservative and sophisticated than the flamboyant Japanese counterparts.

I understand business, the need to improvise and form alliances to generate revenue. But, image is also an important integral part of it. I don't think Shelby's association with West Coast helped any, not unless he wanted to appeal to those who subscribe to tatoos and body piercing.