2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Silver Horse Racing honeycomb faux gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/06, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver Horse Racing honeycomb faux gas cap

panel. I ordered the panel last night and the only thing I don't like is the way it kid of hides the sides of the faux gas cap......anybody else think this and have you modified the panel at all? I'm thinking (have only seen pics so far though) that I could lower the height of the lip that surrounds the gas cap.....
Old 10/26/06, 09:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

IMO you could probably sand it down some but not enough to really make a difference. Also, since the top surface is extremely smooth - not sure it would then match the other surfaces
Old 10/26/06, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ranger
IMO you could probably sand it down some but not enough to really make a difference. Also, since the top surface is extremely smooth - not sure it would then match the other surfaces

I had that same thought.....using a belt sander (CAREFULLY) starting with a rough grit then finishing with a smooth grit and using plastic polish/buffer after that......
Old 10/27/06, 02:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at mine, kinda see what you mean but the edge is beveled and you do not loose too much of the visibility of the cap.check out the pics, sorry about the water drops, but can't contorll the rain
Attached Thumbnails Silver Horse Racing honeycomb faux gas cap-07-mustang-mods-i-033.jpg   Silver Horse Racing honeycomb faux gas cap-07-mustang-mods-i-034.jpg   Silver Horse Racing honeycomb faux gas cap-07-mustang-mods-i-036.jpg   Silver Horse Racing honeycomb faux gas cap-07-mustang-mods-i-037.jpg  
Old 10/27/06, 06:19 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
panel. I ordered the panel last night and the only thing I don't like is the way it kid of hides the sides of the faux gas cap......anybody else think this and have you modified the panel at all? I'm thinking (have only seen pics so far though) that I could lower the height of the lip that surrounds the gas cap.....

Umm, you can always contact us, that's what we're here for

Modifying the panel probably will not give you the look you are seeking, although you are welcome to try. To do it properly and have any hope of a "clean" look, you really need to machine the plastic with a beveled cutter, being careful not to break through the plastic anywhere. The finished part would have more of an angle, which is all you can really do, short of removing the center surround entirely. If you did that though, you'd end up with being able to see the paint around it, which would probably not be the look you are after.

After machining, you could polish the plastic with compound and a high-speed buffer to get it close to the finish that is there now.

Alternatively, our rear medallion replacements are a lot thicker than the factory center emblem on the edges, so it appears to stand out more than the factory piece. I know it's more money, but the parts are really nice and fit well with the honeycomb panel. That would probably give you the look you are after without any modification of the honeycomb panel. Attached are a couple of pictures for you.
Attached Images   
Old 10/29/06, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Umm, you can always contact us, that's what we're here for

Modifying the panel probably will not give you the look you are seeking, although you are welcome to try. To do it properly and have any hope of a "clean" look, you really need to machine the plastic with a beveled cutter, being careful not to break through the plastic anywhere. The finished part would have more of an angle, which is all you can really do, short of removing the center surround entirely. If you did that though, you'd end up with being able to see the paint around it, which would probably not be the look you are after.

After machining, you could polish the plastic with compound and a high-speed buffer to get it close to the finish that is there now.

Alternatively, our rear medallion replacements are a lot thicker than the factory center emblem on the edges, so it appears to stand out more than the factory piece. I know it's more money, but the parts are really nice and fit well with the honeycomb panel. That would probably give you the look you are after without any modification of the honeycomb panel. Attached are a couple of pictures for you.
Hey Marcello - thanks for the reply - nice to know you guys are tracking the website I'm going to check out the fit first and if necessary - do some 'tinkering" with it after that. I want to keep the fax gas cap cover as it is the "California Special" and I like the look. I'll keep you in the loop and post pics if I do end up modding the panel.
Old 10/29/06, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Looking at mine, kinda see what you mean but the edge is beveled and you do not loose too much of the visibility of the cap.check out the pics, sorry about the water drops, but can't contorll the rain

Doug - thanks for the pics!! After looking at your close up pics....I'm thinking I may not need to mod the panel at all. What is that wet stuff all over your car....hmmm....been a ways since I've seen that
Old 10/29/06, 04:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, thanks go to Doug for pointing me over - I try and keep up, but there's more to running a business than just the forums, so if you do see something you want me to chime in on, I'm always just an email away.

Since you don't have it yet, I'm guessing that when you do fit it to your car you will decide not to modify it, but even if you do, pictures are always welcome
Old 10/29/06, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Well, thanks go to Doug for pointing me over - I try and keep up, but there's more to running a business than just the forums, so if you do see something you want me to chime in on, I'm always just an email away.

Since you don't have it yet, I'm guessing that when you do fit it to your car you will decide not to modify it, but even if you do, pictures are always welcome
I sure will!! The most I would do is "bevel" the inside edge a bit
Old 10/29/06, 07:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Doug - thanks for the pics!! After looking at your close up pics....I'm thinking I may not need to mod the panel at all. What is that wet stuff all over your car....hmmm....been a ways since I've seen that
Did you not pay attention to the last few games of the World Series???

Where are you that it's so dry?
Old 10/29/06, 07:51 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know exactly what you guys are trying to achieve, but would removing the emblem and then reinstalling it with a thick foam double sided tape to bring it out a bit help?
Old 10/29/06, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I don't know exactly what you guys are trying to achieve, but would removing the emblem and then reinstalling it with a thick foam double sided tape to bring it out a bit help?
At that point some shims would help too, better than trying to re work the panel. Less work.
Old 10/30/06, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Did you not pay attention to the last few games of the World Series???

Where are you that it's so dry?
SoCal
Old 10/30/06, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.

Actually, not a bad idea at all....goes to show there are always alternatives!! Thanks