2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Question about Production

Old 10/31/07, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Production

I've been reading through the old threads and noted some talk that GT/CS might only be produced for two years 07 & 08, mind you these were OLD threads. Is this old news, or did I just misunderstand. I thought it would be great since the originals were only made from 68 to 69. Just woundering if anybody could clear this up for me, Thanks.
Old 11/1/07, 12:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the news I heard, but I guess we truly wont know until sometime next year. I would think it would be accurate, so Ford can match the 68 and 69 CS. Well see.
Old 11/1/07, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I think that is accurate but that is just my opinion.
Old 11/1/07, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Two years, I hear!

Hi again Heidi: Have to chime in on this and say I agree with the gang on this one! Everything I have ever read or researched on the new GT/CS's, had proposed that only two years production would be done. Rumor had it, that this was because of the other special edition Mustang models that Ford is planning on introducing very soon. May I suggest to all fellow GT/CS owners. If you are planning on keeping your Cal for a long time, you might want to run down to your Ford dealership and grab up some of those '07 or '08 Mustang showroom fliers while you still can! Also one rumor has put the actual production numbers at just over four thousand GT/CS units for 2007? Wish we had the correct number on that one! Maybe some day!
Old 11/1/07, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

4,000 or so is what I hear as well from the guy writing the GT/CS book due out in January time frame. Just an FYI the real GT/CS was only a 1968 model but they did make a GT/HC for the Colorardo area in 1967. So next year at Knotts they may be doing the 40th anniv. of the GT/CS as the featured car. I am planning to go to Knott's and I would like to get together with as many other GT/CS for the display so we can park all together.
Old 11/1/07, 06:55 PM

I saw they were changing the body style a little in 09! Originally it was only a 2-3 year run. In 68 they made a little over 4,000 and some I read some place.
Old 11/1/07, 07:37 PM

http://www.californiaspecial.com/history.htm
Hi I got some of my info at this site, check it out. It's a time line of the GT/CS production for 68.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/hartman.htm
This guy did resurch on the High Country Specials. I thought he had great info since the CS and HC are so closely linked.

Would love to go to a CS rally.
Old 11/1/07, 07:50 PM

one more quick link I had to look for this one, great artical in Mustangy Monthly. Love the pics
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...ial/index.html
Old 11/7/07, 10:23 PM
GT Member

I could live with a production run of 4,000 GT/CS Mustangs for 2008. The car would be in an elite class with these production numbers. Hopefully in the near future we will know exactly how many 07 and 08 California Specials were built. Does anybody know when the cutoff date is for ordering a GT/CS ?
Old 11/7/07, 10:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info to know.
Old 11/8/07, 07:46 AM

found artical

Hey, I found this artical it was taken off another blog so I hope I didn't do bad. It's old and I don't know original source. Maybe Ford will keep the new CS almost as rare as the old. Sounds like thats the idea anyway.

"California Special" Edition Kicks Mustang Style Into Gigh Gear

Ever since Ford announced it was going to build a production version of the Shelby GT500 Concept, enthusiasts have been abuzz with speculation about what other specialty Mustangs were in the works. Would Ford bring back the Boss? Could they be contemplating another Mach 1? How about another Bullitt? Their wait is now over: While the competition scrambles once again to play catch-up to Ford, Mustang momentum continues to grow with the introduction of the uniquely styled, limited-edition 2007 Mustang GT/CS – or “California Special.”

The Mustang GT/California Special arrives in late summer as a full, stand-alone option package on the 2007 Mustang. Much like the 1968 GT/CS that offered Mustang buyers more aggressive styling that was “Inspired by the Shelby GT,” the new California Special also draws some cues from the 2007 Shelby. What’s more, it offers the kind of limited-production exclusivity that has made the original California Special such a big favorite with Mustang collectors over the years.

The new Mustang has been a runaway sales success ever since it bolted out of the starting gate 18 months ago. Today, Ford's Mustang remains the hottest selling <NOBR>car</NOBR> in America. It's no secret that the upcoming Shelby GT500 has driven performance-hungry enthusiasts to Ford dealerships across the country in search of information on purchasing the most powerful factory Mustang ever produced. And all indications are that the GT500 will be yet another Mustang sales success. But the Mustang has always been about choice and meeting the customer's needs – and Ford Motor <NOBR>Company</NOBR> knows that there are customers who don't require the ultimate <NOBR>performance</NOBR> Mustang, yet still desire something special beyond the Mustang GT. The 2007 California Special fits the bill.

“ As a Mustang enthusiast and SVTOA Chapter Director, I’ve long known about the original California Special and the mystique that surrounds it, so when I was given the chance to work on the program, I jumped on it," said Mark Wilson, who works in Car Project Management at Ford’s Vehicle Personalization group, and is the program manager for the California Special. Mark is a true Mustang fanatic, he races is 1993 Cobra R and 2004 Mustang in the American V-8 Super Car Series. “I believe the 2007 GT/CS is true to the original car’s heritage, while also setting itself apart from the base Mustang GT with styling cues that clearly differentiate it from any angle.”

The GT/CS was originally a limited-production 1968 Mustang coupe fitted with Shelby Mustang dress-up pieces and sold only though dealerships in California. It was available with any engine, and either with or without the GT option. The 2007 California Special can be ordered as either a coupe or convertible and will be available though Ford dealerships across the country.

The 2007 version has an aggressive front fascia with an integrated chin spoiler that sits 1.5 inches lower than the Mustang GT to provide a larger air opening for increased cooling performance. Familiar “California Special” style bodyside racing stripes run from the front fenders across the doors and fade-out at the end of the door.

Out back, a unique rear fascia styled with less “tuck-in” features a lower air-diffuser design that is similar to the rear of the 2007 Shelby GT500 – itself inspired by the rear diffuser on the Ford GT supercar. As an added touch, the dual exhaust system on the new Mustang GT/CS sports bright, rolled tips for a cleaner, more refined appearance. The car will also come standard with the Mustang GT’s optional 18-inch polished aluminum wheels and performance <NOBR>tires</NOBR>. (Those seeking further differentiation can even add a hood scoop by ordering the GT Appearance Package.)

“We’ve taken the spirit behind the original Cal Special – a regional package that personalized the Mustang for the West Coast buyer – and created a more aggressive, customized Mustang for customers everywhere,” said Joe Siler, Design Manager, Ford <NOBR>Vehicle</NOBR> Personalization. “We think the result has all of the high-style flair of the original.”

Exclusive touches carry over to the inside of the new California Special, as well. Starting with the array of bright-polished and satin-aluminum finished items in the Interior Upgrade Package (which is required to order a Mustang GT/CS), the cabin comes dressed in either Dove or Parchment environments, including black leather seats with unique Cal Special Dove or Parchment “GT Leather” inserts. Plus, matching front floormats include special Mustang badging to further distinguish the GT/CS interior.

There’s even more style under the hood of the new California Special: The Mustang GT’s 300-horsepower 3-valve 4.6-liter V-8 gets treated to a unique engine cover that gives the engine compartment the kind of dressed-up look that you'd only expect to see at custom car show.

The 2007 Mustang GT/CS goes on sale later this summer. The GT Cal Special option package adds $1,895 to the price of a Mustang GT (available with either a five-speed manual or automatic transmission) with the requisite Premium and Interior Upgrade packages. Exterior color choices are limited to Redfire Metallic, Performance White, Vista Blue Metallic and Black. Valencia Yellow is to be added later in the model run. Production estimates have not been finalized, but the 2007 California Special is expected to surpass the sales total of its predecessor of nearly 40 years ago, when 4,325 copies of the GT/CS were sold. SS"

Advertisements touting the ‘68 GT/CS exclaimed that “ California made it happen.” When it comes to Mustangs, Ford <NOBR>Motor</NOBR> Company makes special editions “happen” because of America's ongoing love affair with its favorite sporty car – Mustang. After the rebirth of the Mustang and Mustang GT for 2005, the Pony Package for 2006, plus the Shelby GT500 and now the California Special for 2007, Mustang excitement continues unbridled for yet another model year. And if Mustang’s storied past is any indication, you can expect even more special breeds in the future.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
Old 11/9/07, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Job well done ! I live in the DC - Baltimore metro area and I have not seen any GT/CS around, except for mine. Thank you for the research, keep our fingers crossed our cars will have a limited production.