2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Purists (Functional vs. Non)

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/07, 10:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
I was 12 years old when the '63 Corvette was introduced. I still have a copy of the Road & Track with the coupe and roadster on the cover. I will never, ever forget the impact that car had on me! It looked like something from the future.
i am a very big general motors hater, but there is a decent size spot in my heart for c2 corvettes, my uncle just bought a 65 a couple years ago, and i love it

Originally Posted by dly
I guess your Eject Button is functional then.
no it isnt functional. NOT ALL OF MY MODS ARE FUNCTIONAL. just because i dont find a mod to be functional doesnt mean that i wont do it. my main argument is with scoops anyway. i HATE when there are fake scoops on cars, i just think its soo dumb. The eject button, thats just to be something for people to see and laugh about when they get in the car. i also have a shorty antenna, which makes the antenna less funtional, so there being an anti-functional mod, done for looks so people dont think my car is radio controled. i have MAG mirror caps as well, functional.. no. i just put a roush racing tool kit, is it functional in my terms, i dont think so, but it gives me a more prepared feeling because if we need a socket or a pair of pliers, just go to my trunk. I just got GT500 wipers.. functional YES, because they increase the performance of the wipers, they also look cool and are an added safety feature. this is the last post i am making about my def. of a functional part. i believe this thread was originally started to illustrate peoples feeling on the non functional features on a GT/CS, which is the reason i did not get a CS when i ordered mine. if there wer no side scoops, and i think you cant use sopiler delete, or i would have gotten a gt/cs. not trying to specifically attack you hear.... and yes after re-reading it def. sounds like i am.. just trying to show my point of view.

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
First, nowhere is it written that function is solely a property of performance. You have style function, economy function, comfort function etc, as well as performance function. I'm a 60s child, 13 when the Mustang debuted. I'm a hot rodder. Hot rodding comes in all different facets. To me no where is there a more beautiful Mustang than the 67 Shelby, with the fake quarter and side scoops. It had the look! I'm not bothered by hood scoops, side scoops, body kits, 20 inch wheels, fart can muffeled godzilla winged ricers, or Stereo systems that cost more than the cars I see some people driving.
The absolutely, positively glorious thing about cars is you can individualize them. That what hot rodding is all about being unique.

I dont want a rice car, but have no problem with those who do. Many young people get in them because they available and affordable, much like my first car, a 56, Chevy, like my dad's first car, an old Hudson Hornet. Personally I dont need anything more than my shaker 500 stereo. I dont need 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels. I dont need wings. Lots of body kits out there I dont care for. I dont care for the Lemans stripes on my Mustang. I've no need for nitrious, blowers or turbos.
I do like my 67 Shelby styled hood scoop and CDC classis front spoiler. I would like to be able to fit 16 inch wheels with 60 series redline tires on my GT. I love the sequential signal lights, and blacked out tail panel. One of these days I'll get a ducktail spoiler more to my liking than the stock spoiler

BUT, its all good because we are all individuals with different tastes. I'm just glad hot rodding is still around after all these years. I'm glad way back there people weren't afraid to be different with their cars. The only thing I dont like about cars and what people do to them is the attitude of someone putting them down because the dont agree with what they have done.
Long live hot rodding.
i hear where you are coming from, but i just disagree, call me whatever you want to me a non functional part on a car is something that looks like its supposed to serve a purpose, but doesnt. i think an old hot rodding example would be the side pipes you see on some 50's cars... the ones that have covers on the ends, and when you look under the car you see the pipes are just bolted on, and dont have exhaust running to them. thats what i am talking about. I as well am extremely proud to be a member of the car enthusiast hobby, and although the ricers dont push my buttons, i still respect them. MOST people on this board dont, and it annoys me. i personally am a very big VW nut, water cooled vw's that is. and that gave me my very distinct euro- feelings for cars. which means no non functional scoops, no tacked on plastic junk looking body kits, no dumb looking aluminum wings on the back (for me meaning no spoilers/ wings at all) none of that. as for the mustang, you'll get this. i am a HUGE BOSS mustang fan. BUT the boss' seem to me a more clean, smooth car. the flat black hood, done so that there is reduced galre on the windscreen, rear louvers, done to reduce the glare as well. fron chin spoiler functional even on the street cars. i actually enjoy the boss 302's that didnt have the soiler, and the rear louvers. but the ont that my father and i bought (a 69, in whimbeldon white) has those two features. doesnt bother me, its still one of 1632 ever built. i also LOVE subarus, they make an awesome car. i am also a fan of hondas, becasue the efw that my family owned (including my first car 1985 accord se-i ) have been awesome cars. not from performance, but just as a car. an appliance if you must.

so i dont hate everyone who disagrees with me, i dont hate anybodies cars that have stuff on them that i wouldn't put on mine. if i dont have something nice to say, i dont say anything at all, unless my honest opinion is specifically requested. which it almost always isnt. one of my closest mustang buddies is on this board, and he has done a lot of non-functional body mods to his car, most of which i dont find attractive at all, but i dont say anything, because thats what he wanted, and thats good for him. not my style though. So i apolgize to a few people, one anyone reading this forum that ws confused by the way i presented my argument, also that i am taking such a long time to write this. 2. the creator of the thread becasue we arent really staying on topic, but i tried a few posts ago to get it back there. so hopefully you guys have a better understanding of what i was saying. and please dont try to pull stuff out of my signature to think you are pulling one on me how my argument isnt sound. maybe i am in a minority, but whatever, i have been looking to buy another VW anyway. the 96 cavalier i have isnt cutting the daily duties that well anyway. thats the way i individually feel and i present myself to you, but apparently that just makes me in idiotic outcast. so dont ask me when you want to install parts, and i have done it to mine (functional, AND non) i am always willing to lend a hand, over a PM or in person. i guess i am just too used to old stangs too. i dont know.

here read this if you'd like it shows my experience with my beloved mustang. hopefully you guys can see where i am coming from.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=59950

ok guys i need to go to bed. if i ever run into anyone that has posted in this thread.... first round is on me.
Old 3/9/07, 10:27 PM
FR500 Member

IMO, if it helps the car go faster, stop better, and turn sharper - to me, that's FUNctional stuff that will go on. If it won't contribute in any way toward that end, I'll pass. Still, it's hard to argue that some of the best looking 'Stangs had non-functioning styling cues and they wouldn't look as good without them. Then again, the beauty of cars like the early GT350 and Boss 302 was their scoops actually served a purpose while looking good to boot.
Old 3/9/07, 10:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
IMO, if it helps the car go faster, stop better, and turn sharper - to me, that's FUNctional stuff that will go on. If it won't contribute in any way toward that end, I'll pass. Still, it's hard to argue that some of the best looking 'Stangs had non-functioning styling cues and they wouldn't look as good without them. Then again, the beauty of cars like the early GT350 and Boss 302 was their scoops actually served a purpose while looking good to boot.
finally someone that kinda agrees with me. in 69 there were no scoops availible on the boss302, but in 70 there was an optional shaker. and it was a nice piece, my father wants to retro-fit it onto ours, need to find a second hood first. i am holding out to slap a 4 webber manifold on it, get some ITB scream out of the motor.

the original gt350 is an amazing car. i friend of ours has an all original 66, and its a beaut.... even though i really dont like stripes. (i am not going any farther into that one, just read my other thread)
Old 3/9/07, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

i just think some people have a special spot of hatred in their hearts for fake hood scoops.

jmo.
Old 3/9/07, 11:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Disagree totally. The "function" that it serves is to create an appearance the owner of the car desires. I don't like everything that everyone does to their car and I'm sure not everyone likes my car, but it's the way I want it to look. Judging by the sheer number of compliments, stares, waves, thumbs up, etc I receive everyday, it must not be all bad. Even with my "fake" window and door scoops. I walk out every day, look at my car and say "**** I love that car". That is the function of my modifications.
If everyone bought a 2005+ Mustang and didn't add/change anything "functional" or not, it would be a very boring world.

I still stick to my "Breast Implant Analogy" in the previous thread that sparked this one.
Are they "Real", no, but who gives a ****, they still look/feel nice and attract attention.
I will have to agree with you here , like implants even makeup they dress to kill right and so do an auto mobile , and if its done at the factory lrvrl then in a way I guess its blessed or cristenend by Ford too ? as says the Vin #
Old 3/10/07, 01:14 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a waffler on this one. Function is what something is supposed to do, whether it be performance or appearance.

Personally, I agree that if it is factory dress up, that's fine. Like a lot of other things, looks play a big role in what we like or don't like.

That said, anything I would do post-purchase would need to be performance functional. Yeah, even louvers, they help to add privacy, and down here in Florida they help to cut down on sun and heat (although when its 100, does a few degrees amke a difference you can notice?...).

Hood scoops look good, mostly, but I'm not cutting around and drilling up my sheetmetal without a benefit beyond the thumbs up from people who can't drive yet... ... but that goes for anything else that is an "appearance" change that suggest a "performance" change.

My whole philosophy is ya gotta feel good when you look at what you spent money on.
Old 3/10/07, 03:27 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n00bstang
i just think some people have a special spot of hatred in their hearts for fake hood scoops.

jmo.
You're right. I'll admit I hate them.
Old 3/10/07, 04:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make your car your own! Scoops were for function when we had carbs and side scoops were for cooling down drum brakes.

I went with a early Shelby look and am very happy with the outcome. If people like it (and they seem too) then great but I did it for me not them! JMO~
Old 3/10/07, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
finally someone that kinda agrees with me. in 69 there were no scoops availible on the boss302
The Boss was certainly not immune to non-functional add-ons...it was also equipped with racing stripes, a rear spoiler (often oddly aiming the wrong way) and rear window louvers that has become a cliche for fake stuff...even today!

All that being said, I don't want fake stuff on my car - but I can understand and appreciate the fact that, like clothes, everyone had an idea of what "style" means to them.

It would be pretty boring if everyone drove a stock-looking gray car with no exterior mods.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 3/10/07, 09:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Everything has a function. Looking good or enhancing looks is simply one function. Increasing performance is another.

Why argue over something so subjective as an opinion? If YOU like it, put it on YOUR car. If you DON'T like, don't disrespect someone else for having it on theirs.

Sheesh... we'll argue over the stupidest things; especially an opinion - which absolutely has NO function whatsoever.
Old 3/11/07, 02:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
The best is when design elements work both aesthetically and fucntionally, the holy grail of melding form and fuction into a cohesive whole. Now that's the way to convey an image -- fully backed up by real substance, with design honesty and integrity at every level.
Good point. This is from the "Form Follows Function" school of aesthetics and it is rational. The opposing school could be called "Beauty As An End In Itself." An extreme example of the former school is the Scion Xbox: a purely utilitarian look. An extreme example of the latter school is the Lamborghini Countach: a dizzying display of ducts, scoops, wings & spoilers.

To stay within the context of the Mustang, this car is inexpensive and thus fully functional body implements are beyond its price range. So really, Mustang enthusiasts have the choice of a plain exterior or non-functional add-ons: spoilers, scoops, louvers, caps, wings, diffusers, etc. Personally, I like the mix of plain & adorned Mustangs; if all Mustangs had plain hoods, trunks & side panels, they would be a bit too monotonous IMO.
Old 3/12/07, 12:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
Just my opinion, but since you want an HONEST opinion, if it ain't real it shouldn't be on there! That includes Ford putting fake scoops on the car that don't do anything.
<shrug> How much do you want to pay? I think that the $34k I paid for my car is ENOUGH. I'll deal with the stick ons for THAT price... if I had to pay double for functional things it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 3/12/07, 01:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Off topic sorry...

H.I. 50 was the pic in your avatar taken behind Mckenna Ford in Kailua???
Old 3/12/07, 05:56 AM
Cobra R Member

The Boss was certainly not immune to non-functional add-ons...it was also equipped with racing stripes, a rear spoiler (often oddly aiming the wrong way) and rear window louvers that has become a cliche for fake stuff...even today!

All that being said, I don't want fake stuff on my car - but I can understand and appreciate the fact that, like clothes, everyone had an idea of what "style" means to them.

It would be pretty boring if everyone drove a stock-looking gray car with no exterior mods.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ummm...... if you read previous posts. the rear sopiler was actually functional. pointing the wrong way because the adjustment bolts are loose. thats right the rear spoiler was factory adjustible. The racing stripes. well they arent really racing stripes, the hood and deckilid are flat black to reduce windshield glare, as well as the addition of the louvers, which my 69 boss 302 is equipped with although i would not miss them if they were taken off. AGAIN no they arent functional mods, but that doenst mean i wont do them/ dont like them. i LOVE the look of the boss with all of the non-functional mods on it. THe sides of the car have a reverse c-stripe to designate it a boss 302. The cool part of those is that its a flat black sticker thats also reflective, so when yoiu take a picture of the car with a flash on, it shines really bright. i just thank god mr. shinoda got rid of the sport-roofs dumb quarter scoops on the b-302. even the b-429 had them, and they just look horrible
Old 3/12/07, 06:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Steve
Everything has a function. Looking good or enhancing looks is simply one function. Increasing performance is another.

Why argue over something so subjective as an opinion? If YOU like it, put it on YOUR car. If you DON'T like, don't disrespect someone else for having it on theirs.

Sheesh... we'll argue over the stupidest things; especially an opinion - which absolutely has NO function whatsoever.

i agree but i am just really sick of people putting words in my mouth (or i guess fingers on my keyboard, or whatever) and am trying to get people to understand where i am coming from since once every couple days people dont bother reading my entire post, or reading them at all.
Old 3/12/07, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good topic!

With the Mustang, I think we're ALL trying to build something that relates to an image we have in our head of what we'd like to be driving. That's why there's everything from Shelby clones and "continuations" to wanna be racers, to wild body kits, to spoiler deleted, scoopless monochrome cars (like mine ).

In my opinion, I don't think it's a question of "purist" or not, but rather "image". We're all after one - and there's nothing wrong with that. It's ALL good stuff.

And as us older guys remember, when the Mustang came out, there was a bewildering selection of options to build a car many different ways so that it could different things to different people...sounds familiar!
Wow, I posted this last week and forgot about it...a lot of reading to do.
Old 3/12/07, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bztz4m
I am one of those who want functional parts scoops, C-pilar scoops etc. most things now are stick on parts which drives me nuts. I understand that people are going for a certian look for their cars but if it does not serve a function then why have it on.
I think the point is that the parts do server a function. IMO, If a side scoop cools off the rotors...it's a function. If a side scoop beefs up the look and the owner likes is...it's a function.
Old 3/12/07, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Scarpi
Just my opinion, but since you want an HONEST opinion, if it ain't real it shouldn't be on there! That includes Ford putting fake scoops on the car that don't do anything.
Okay, so how many items in your car don't serve a funtion?
Old 3/12/07, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Disagree totally. The "function" that it serves is to create an appearance the owner of the car desires. I don't like everything that everyone does to their car and I'm sure not everyone likes my car, but it's the way I want it to look. Judging by the sheer number of compliments, stares, waves, thumbs up, etc I receive everyday, it must not be all bad. Even with my "fake" window and door scoops. I walk out every day, look at my car and say "**** I love that car". That is the function of my modifications.
If everyone bought a 2005+ Mustang and didn't add/change anything "functional" or not, it would be a very boring world.

I still stick to my "Breast Implant Analogy" in the previous thread that sparked this one.
Are they "Real", no, but who gives a ****, they still look/feel nice and attract attention.
Totally agree with you...and hey, if you think about it even the color of a car has no function (according to purists). The color of a car is for looks.
Old 3/12/07, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
i think i have to disagree with everything you wrote on this thread. For a part to be functional, it has to do a specific purpose. for any scoop that means feeding cold/cooler air to a part of the car, hood scoops are for the motor, side scoops usually for brakes. since ford doesn't have any that work, they are all decorative plastic garbage.

i hate breat implants.

and lastly, no: no one ever says "do you like the look of my hoodscoop and its functional." on our cars there is no such thing as a functional hood scoop. so people either like the looks, or they dont, i dont. and i have seen people pretend they are real. like a 69 sport roof mustang, aweosme car, but way too many people think that those quarter scoops are functional, and they arent, so thats why when my family bought one, we made sure it was a boss 302 which was the only sport roof that didnt have the ugly scoops.

I prefer nice clean lines, and no tacked on plastic stuff. kinda like a european car. and thats why my stang will never have that stuff.
Are you sure your stang doesn't have that stuff?

Quick Reply: Purists (Functional vs. Non)