2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Opinion needed on SCT Tune

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/07, 04:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinion needed on SCT Tune

I bought a CAI and SCT tuner from Bama a few weeks back and it arrived with 91 tunes. I thought it was their mistake, but come to find out it was mine. I wasn't thinking when I placed the order and input 91 tunes instead of one 87 and two 93s. With that being said, I'm wasting money filling up my pony with 93 for a 91 tune. Doug at Bama was nice enough to send me an 87 tune, but I need to pay extra for the 93s. I found a pump, not close by, that sells 91. My question is: Should I drive the extra miles to fill up with 91...or is it worth paying for the 93 tunes?
Old 5/24/07, 06:00 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just fill up with 93 octane and use the 91 octane tune. The diff between a 91 tune and a 93 tune can only be what... 1 or 2 hp at most.
Old 5/24/07, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the 87 tune on mine with the price of gas that extra 3-5 was not worth it.
Old 5/24/07, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Talk to Doug, explain your mistake, and I'm sure he will load it with the tunes that you originally intended. If I were you I'd get what you originally wanted, the 87 and 93 tunes right? The power difference between 91 and 93 is probably not significant, but having to drive out of your way to get 91 is what we're really talking about--it sounds like an added burden. So I say get 87 and 93 and be happy.
Old 5/24/07, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
Talk to Doug, explain your mistake, and I'm sure he will load it with the tunes that you originally intended. If I were you I'd get what you originally wanted, the 87 and 93 tunes right? The power difference between 91 and 93 is probably not significant, but having to drive out of your way to get 91 is what we're really talking about--it sounds like an added burden. So I say get 87 and 93 and be happy.
I did talk with Doug - He wants me to pay extra for the 93 tunes. I know it was my mistake, but I thougth he would hook me up with the correct tunes since I bought the kit from him. I wouldn't think it would be extra work for him but to attach the files to an email. I'm sure he already has a tune created for a stock auto mustang with CAI. It's not like I'm asking for a super custom tune. Oh well, learned my lesson.
Old 5/24/07, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
I did talk with Doug - He wants me to pay extra for the 93 tunes. I know it was my mistake, but I thougth he would hook me up with the correct tunes since I bought the kit from him. I wouldn't think it would be extra work for him but to attach the files to an email. I'm sure he already has a tune created for a stock auto mustang with CAI. It's not like I'm asking for a super custom tune. Oh well, learned my lesson.
Sorry to hear that 07GTCS....I am on the fence trying to decide to buy these items...trying to choose between the main three on here...how do you like you CAI/Tunes???
Old 5/24/07, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 07gtcs
I bought a CAI and SCT tuner from Bama a few weeks back and it arrived with 91 tunes. I thought it was their mistake, but come to find out it was mine. I wasn't thinking when I placed the order and input 91 tunes instead of one 87 and two 93s. With that being said, I'm wasting money filling up my pony with 93 for a 91 tune. Doug at Bama was nice enough to send me an 87 tune, but I need to pay extra for the 93s. I found a pump, not close by, that sells 91. My question is: Should I drive the extra miles to fill up with 91...or is it worth paying for the 93 tunes?
hOW MUCH FUEL WILL IT COST YOU IN THE LONG RUN ? i TRIED TO GET A TUNER BUT i'M FALLING ON DEATH EARS ME THINKS ?
Old 5/25/07, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
Sorry to hear that 07GTCS....I am on the fence trying to decide to buy these items...trying to choose between the main three on here...how do you like you CAI/Tunes???
The CAI is pretty nice as you can feel the difference. The one thing I don't like is the shifting points on all three tunes for every day driving. I messed up by not specifying my needs upon orderging. I honestly thought that bama would work with me, but now I regret using them. If I could do it all over...and if you plan on getting the kit from them: ask for a stock 87 tune (basically an oem tune that will accept the CAI), and a 93 perf, and race tune.

I have thought of going back to stock and selling this kit since I'm not 100% happy with bama's customer's service. For once, it took three emails and a couple of phone calls before anyone responded. I was also under the impression that Bama would help out with tunes as needed. I can understand that if I install a supercharger I would need a special tune and for that I'm willing to pay...my car is totally stock with the only upgrades being the CAI that I bought from them. I'm not pointing fingers here, I'm sure Doug is very busy...However, if it were my business I would try to make every customer happy. FYI, give Brenspeed or Tillmanspeed a try...I bet they'll match or beat Bama's price.
Old 5/25/07, 12:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think the problem here is you messed up. You asked for the wrong tunes, and he sent you what you ordered. Tunes are not like merchandise that you can return and exchange. Once he sends you a tune, you can save it on your computer and have it forever. If he sends you more tunes for free, then what is the use charging for tunes? Then you would have 6 tunes to choose from.

Doug will (from what I understand) update your tunes to accomodate future mods. But that doesn't mean he will send you completely different tunes...just update the ones you already bought.
Old 5/25/07, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

So i bought a 92 perf 92 torque and 87 perf and i just had the JLTII and FRPP Stingers. If I get a new exhaust /headers will he send me an updated
tune for free?
Old 5/25/07, 03:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

That is my understanding of it, yes. If you add on, he will update your tune for free, as long as it is the same basic tune (93 race, 87 perf...etc.)