2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

My 07 GTCS got hit :(

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/07, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 07 GTCS got hit :(

It's not bad, fortunately. I was waiting at a red light coming out of a shopping center and for some strange reason a guy rear ends me,. He was totally not paying attention. I've got two little dents and some paint damage on the fascia. He blamed it all on the "wrong type of bolts" on his license plate instead of on his lousy driving.

He thought I was nuts for asking for his insurance info to fix the damage, which admittedly is small, but what the heck? It's a brand new car with less than 5K on it.

The repairs are estimated at around $406. When I called his insurance co., the lady told me to call him first to see if he wanted to take care of it out of his own pocket. I think it's nuts to make me call the guy who hit me, but okay. So I call, and he basically laughs in disbelief and tells me "It's just going to get dented again at some point." Wha?

Whatever. Either he or his insur. is going to fix this.

So. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think they can fix the fascia to look new again? There was no talk about replacing it, but if they did, would it be hard to match the paint?

I'm just heartbroken over this...my poor car. I had no dents/dings until now. 99.9% of people out there could care less about their cars or mine--it's scary to drive anywhere.
Old 9/4/07, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

A bumper is like a helmet. Once it is compromised it is less effective when actually needed. It's not your fault and it is under $500 so you don't need a police report. You have his info, so simply have 3 quotes done and submit the highest one. When you get the check, if they write it to the shop, then have them do it. If they write it to you, cash it and take it where you want. If you have some extra dough, then it's your benefit he's an idiot.

You are the victim! If you don't act the victim it will bite you in the behind. My wife got hit, didn't do anything because she didn't think it was a big deal. She had some swelling in her lower back. I shelled out $3800 in doctor bills by the time she felt fine again and she did 6 mo. of rehab. Insurance denied it because the time from her accident to her claim was 30 days.

Do something TODAY to get this resolved.

Good Luck,

Shaun
Old 9/4/07, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If this was me and I was rearended in April in my GT, why even bother with him or his insurance. I let mine do all the work, afterall we pay premiums for their services when needed.
Old 9/4/07, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he said...I deal with these kinds of issues ALOT, and I always get calls asking about "what can I do now", etc...Nothing, you waited to long, or you didnt report it.

I wouldnt settle for anything but brand new parts.
Old 9/4/07, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the faica replaced, I dont think it can be repaired, you deserve to have your car look as it did before the accident. Accept no comprimise!!! Its your car have the ins co send you the check if they balk mention an atty, you have the chioce who and where you have your car repaired.

Also call your ins. co and get them involved. They work for you. That was the first call I made after mine was wrecked.
Old 9/4/07, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

No question here. Get a NEW OEM Fascia. Car is new enough, paint will match just fine.
Old 9/4/07, 06:49 PM

This just happened a few days ago. I called my insurance co right after it happened and was originally going to go through them but when the estimate came in under my deductible (my estimate appt. was today), my insur. co told me to contact the other guy's insur. co.

Today after talking to the guy, I called my insur. co. back, told them the situation. They decided they would handle my side of things after all. This will hopefully be resolved soon.

Absolutely I will not drive around with my car like this, even if it's barely noticable. I notice it, and that's what matters. I wont compromise on the repairs. This is my dream car and I won't settle for less than perfect, even if that means a new rear fascia. But sheesh, what a hassle.
Old 9/4/07, 07:33 PM
GT Member

Good for you. Get it repaired to your satisifaction, if you don't, you'll see it all the time and regret it.
Old 9/4/07, 08:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2white_mustangs
This just happened a few days ago. I called my insurance co right after it happened and was originally going to go through them but when the estimate came in under my deductible (my estimate appt. was today), my insur. co told me to contact the other guy's insur. co.

Today after talking to the guy, I called my insur. co. back, told them the situation. They decided they would handle my side of things after all. This will hopefully be resolved soon.

Absolutely I will not drive around with my car like this, even if it's barely noticable. I notice it, and that's what matters. I wont compromise on the repairs. This is my dream car and I won't settle for less than perfect, even if that means a new rear fascia. But sheesh, what a hassle.
yea, tell me about it...LOL..

your deductible has nothing to do with this, it is the other guys fault! Your ins co. not only covers you when you have an accident but takes your side when you are hit and its not your fault.
As I said earlier, your car should look like it did just before the accident. It was not fault of yours.
Good luck
Old 9/5/07, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I feel for you man. I'm waiting for some idiot to hit me any day here in Orlando...worse drivers in the world. Just last week this idiot in a V6 Mustang was all excited and tail gating when the light turned red. I stopped and he somehow managed to escape slamming into my rear end. He actually pulled to the left, almost hitting another car and ran the red light. I live about 8 miles from work and every day I have a near miss with someone. The bad part is that those near misses are usually with someone in beat up cars. You know, the ones that don't have insurance...
Old 9/5/07, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

I feel your pain.... My car got rearended the same way last year and the stupid woman who hit me told my insurance I rolled into her!

Stupid people these days damage your property and then don't want to take responsibility for what they've done.
Old 9/5/07, 06:27 PM

I've been an insurance agent for over 20 years and I'll tell you what I would tell any of my clients. 1) Report it to the police (no matter how little damage there is. 2) If the damage is under your deductible, your insurance company can't help you (if you want a lower deductible, then you'll pay higher premiums) However, the good news is, your agent should help you get in touch with, and work with the other company (if you have an agent). I don't know what part of the country you live in, but work with a shop your insurance company or the other insurance company recommends. Most companies use "preferred" shops that they know charge fair rates and perform work at higher standards than non-approved shops. Also, don't hesitate to ask for a rental car while your car is being repaired - the other company should pay for that as well. It's never easy, but as long as the other guy has insurance, you should be o.k.
Old 9/5/07, 07:56 PM
V6 Member

He thought I was nuts for asking for his insurance info to fix the damage, which admittedly is small, but what the heck? It's a brand new car with less than 5K on it.

I'm just heartbroken over this...my poor car. I had no dents/dings until now. 99.9% of people out there could care less about their cars or mine--it's scary to drive anywhere.[/quote]

Unfortunately accidents do happen. Imagine you were in the other guys shoes. His insurance rate will increase...The accident may go on a Carfax report for both vehicles. This may decrease the resale for the GT/CS and the other car.

Sounds pretty cut and dry...get your estimates and get the damage repaired by a shop that guarantees the work. You were right for getting his insuarnce info ..just in case you were injured or the damage was more severe...But since yu were not injured i always recommmend settling withe other person and leaving the insurance company out of it for minor damages especially if the other person offers to pay....If this guy who hit you is trying to jerk you off then press his insurance afterall your property is special ...hell California Special!
Old 9/5/07, 09:12 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Sorry to hear about your car,

Hope that everything works out to your liking.

TDS
Old 9/6/07, 08:33 AM

My car goes in Monday morning for repairs. the guy who hit me is paying for it himself to keep his insurance company from getting involved. Hopefully everything will work out and the shop can fix it so that it looks like it never happened. this is a good shop so I'm hopeful.
Old 9/13/07, 09:47 PM

an update: I picked up my car last night and couldn't be happier with the repair. The rear fascia looks brand new again. I didn't have to pay a cent. The last three days have been so nerve wracking. I hated leaving my car overnight like that.
Old 9/14/07, 01:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't understand this entire ordeal, there must something about the laws in your state.