2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Lowering my GTCS, advise

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/10, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowering my GTCS, advise

It's time to lower my 'stang. I like the looks of dropping 1.5" I'd like suggestions as to which is the best kit for the money. I'm also guessing that regardless which kit I go with, a four wheel alignment needs to be done. Thaks in advance.
Old 3/15/10, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd say check here https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=447906 , and then do some research. Don't think about it too much though cuz there's so many options your head will start spinning. I've been planning this also and kind of like some of the options from BMR http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm
Old 3/15/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by goldhillstang
I'd say check here https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=447906 , and then do some research. Don't think about it too much though cuz there's so many options your head will start spinning. I've been planning this also and kind of like some of the options from BMR http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm
Wow, talk about a lot of information. To be honest, I like the ride of my 'stang since it's not a street racer or will ever be on the track. I just don't like the 4x4 look, just like everyone else. I thought if would be as simple as swapping out springs such as the steeda's ultralites and an alignment. Anyone else enjoying their ride with just a spring swap? Or is it not worth it unless the struts and other components are also swapped?

I just got new tires for it and had always had problem with the front ones being worn on the inside as if I had a problem with negative camber. The stealer told me it was normal for the s197s. I'm wondering if it came out of the factory with a bit of negative camber.
Old 3/15/10, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got an '07 with the GT/CS front and rear bumpers. I lowered mine with the Steeda Ultralites, and bought an adjustable panhard bar at the same time. The drop wasn't drastic enough to need a new alignment, though. It rides great, retained the stock ride comfort and added a little more for sporty driving. I am still on the stock struts/shocks too, although I might someday swap them out for the FRPP units, or maybe the Tokico D-specs.
Old 3/15/10, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowered mine @ 1000 mi with FRPP springs and alignment only. 17000 mi later and no problems. I drive some rough roads hear in Louisiana.
Old 3/15/10, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you are not that big on twisties and tracking, you can regain a lot of the (I think inevitably) lost ride quality from good quality tires and shock dampers.
Old 3/15/10, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Which one to choose: Ford Racing M-5300-P or the Steeda Ultralite? Start with that and then later move to better shocks, swaybar etc. The FRPPs drop 1" and the Ultralites 1.5". Hmmm!
Old 3/15/10, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 07 and love the look of my CS I had the Eibach Pro-kit with the Tokico D-Specs installed and have it set to the softest setting and love the ride it feels better then stock. Here is what it looks like.

Old 3/15/10, 07:31 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Javdog
I have a 07 and love the look of my CS I had the Eibach Pro-kit with the Tokico D-Specs installed and have it set to the softest setting and love the ride it feels better then stock. Here is what it looks like.
Wow, your car looks downright evil, Javdog!
Old 3/16/10, 06:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
you can cut the rear springs one inch if you just want to level the car out = free
Old 3/16/10, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Javdog
Looks awesome...too bad it isn't white
Old 3/16/10, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
you can cut the rear springs one inch if you just want to level the car out = free
Thanks for the tip. I'd like to drop the front end too. I can't believe the difference it makes by dropping it just one inch. As far as looks, I mean.
Old 3/16/10, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
Wow, talk about a lot of information. To be honest, I like the ride of my 'stang since it's not a street racer or will ever be on the track. I just don't like the 4x4 look, just like everyone else. I thought if would be as simple as swapping out springs such as the steeda's ultralites and an alignment. Anyone else enjoying their ride with just a spring swap? Or is it not worth it unless the struts and other components are also swapped?

I just got new tires for it and had always had problem with the front ones being worn on the inside as if I had a problem with negative camber. The stealer told me it was normal for the s197s. I'm wondering if it came out of the factory with a bit of negative camber.
I'm on the same train of thought. I'm thinking the FRPP "P" springs which are a 1" drop. From what I've read the stock front strut mounts are a one time use part. So, if I'm going to pull the struts and replace the spring and mount I might as well replace the strut also, right? I don't like the stock damping and was thinking of Tokico D-spec for the adjustability factor. My front inside tires are also showing wear and it has the setting that came from the factory.
Old 3/16/10, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Could someone please post a side picture of a GT/CS with a 1" drop and one with a 1.5" drop. I'd like to see if just 1" will improve the looks.
Old 3/17/10, 07:29 AM

The FRPP part #M-5300-P Drops 1" #M-5300-K Drops 1.5"
Old 3/17/10, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another way to approach the fender gap would be larger diameter tires. The standard tire/wheel combinations come out at about 27.2 inches diameter; I see Tire Rack lists some Pirellis for 22-inch wheels that are 28 and 30 inches diameter. Half the diameter dimension-change would be at the top, reducing the gap by a half to an inch and a half without lowering springs. Get the gear ratio back by changing the differential gears.
Old 3/18/10, 05:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well boys, I think I'm going to wait to collect more funds to do it right. I just want to drop it for looks but don't want to end up with a bad ride. I actually like the way the ride feels right now and would like to maintain that feel. From what I understand, just using lower springs is not the way to do it. Would everyone agree that if dropping with springs, at a minimum the use of proper struts/shocks is a must?
Old 3/18/10, 06:20 AM
Cobra Member

Yes along with a camber kit and bump steer kit.
Old 3/18/10, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
yes with more than an inch drop get the right s/s along with bump steer kit, panhard bar, lca relocate brakts, camber bolts, insert what ever I forgot to list here
Old 3/18/10, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07gtcs
Well boys, I think I'm going to wait to collect more funds to do it right. I just want to drop it for looks but don't want to end up with a bad ride. I actually like the way the ride feels right now and would like to maintain that feel. From what I understand, just using lower springs is not the way to do it. Would everyone agree that if dropping with springs, at a minimum the use of proper struts/shocks is a must?
Like I said earlier, all the options will make your head spin. If you're doing it on a budget or want to do it one step at a time then, yes springs and shocks/struts would be the first step. If your shop can't align it then camber bolts or caster/camber plates would be next. If you're trying to stuff the widest rear tires possible then an adjustable panhard bar would be next. LCA relocation brackets are mainly for drag racing as are upper and lower rear contol arms. If you feel the need for more cornering ability then sway bars would be next. Or, if money is no object there are several options to do everything as a package deal. But, you say you mainly want to lower for looks without a bad ride. Then springs and adjustable shocks/struts is probably what you want to do first. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Lowering my GTCS, advise