2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Lowering a GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/07, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering a GT/CS

This has probably been covered previously, but don't see specific reference in my search of past posts. I'd like hear from some of you who have lowered your GT/CS cars. The front facia is 1.5 inches lower than the standard GT. How much lower can you go before it becomes a real clearance problem? I want to lower mine when I get it and am thinking 1 inch front and 1.5 rear. What do you think?
Bob
Old 1/31/07, 10:16 PM
GT Member

I don't know if there is a standard for curbs in parking lots, etc. I have a GT/CS. If I pull up to a parking curb, there is less than 1/2 between my front spoiler and the curb. Any lower, and I'd be worried that it would be torn off.
Old 1/31/07, 10:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Curbs are never the same they do not set any standards here I think ,as I see many at differnt hieghts, so unless you use a camera or ties some sponges on the front I'd leave it as it came, especially if it's under warrenty, as another member had some clunking noise after they modded the springs and stuff and they were Denied msking a claim because they changed it. I there fore will leave mine as VIRGIN as can be so as not to have to bang my head on a wall.
Old 1/31/07, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd recommend Steeda Ultralites if your concerned with clearance. They're they offer the most moderate drop of all the springs in the market.
Old 1/31/07, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

My brother-in-law rented a Shelby GT-H. It had the GT/CS front end and the FRPP Handling Pack with 1.5" drop springs. The front end was very scrapped up.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GT/CS-thanksgiving-031a.jpg  
Old 2/5/07, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by hp246
I don't know if there is a standard for curbs in parking lots, etc. I have a GT/CS. If I pull up to a parking curb, there is less than 1/2 between my front spoiler and the curb. Any lower, and I'd be worried that it would be torn off.
I've got pretty good at stopping short of parking curbs, since they would tear me up at only 5 1/2" of clearance in the front. Then again my '04 Mach 1 had less than that, and it would scrap on driveways. I have yet to scrap my chin with my lowered '07 GT/CS.
Old 2/5/07, 09:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hows about parking by a curb ? ie if you park too far away they give you a ticket , if you are too close open the door without thinking & WHAM you just scraped up the bottom end of that once nice prestine door !
Old 2/5/07, 09:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got this but not sure to stick it up front or up my behind ha ha
Attached Thumbnails Lowering a GT/CS-back-up-cam-003.jpg  
Old 2/5/07, 09:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The GT-H is lower with the 17" tires. My GT/CS is stock height, I don't think I would want it any lower, I've almost taken the front off a few times as it is.
Old 2/6/07, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think I would like it any lower either. I have a few speed bumps around my house and I know that would be an issue. I am staying with the stock height.
Old 2/7/07, 07:50 AM
GT Member

I would like to level out mine. It would be nice just to find springs that will bring down the back to close that gap in the wheel well. Does anyone have any idea's?
Old 2/7/07, 08:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

I guess it doesnt matter that if Ford sells the Kit in the 2007 accessorie book or if its another brand ,OTHER BRAND MY BE BETTER QUALITY ? the Ford one says that it drops it 1.5 inch lower tuned dampers/lowering springs/anti roll bars/struts/strut tower brace. part # M-2005-FR3 called a handling pack.
Old 2/7/07, 06:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember the days we jacked the things up in the back
now we want to drop them down
Old 2/7/07, 09:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Remember the days we jacked the things up in the back
now we want to drop them down
I was thinking the same thing. I think the factory height looks fine, but to each his/her own.
Old 2/8/07, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

It is already 1.5" lower in the front, How much lower would you like to go?

Yeah, I remember the days watching the musle cars in the early 70's go by and the rear ends were all jacked up and the front ends was amost dragiing the ground. I guess times have changed!
Old 2/8/07, 09:52 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you lowered the rear only, you would actually slightly raise the front.
Old 2/8/07, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by NJJOE
It is already 1.5" lower in the front, How much lower would you like to go?
The front facia is 1.5 inches lower than the GT, but the overall car is the same height. The stock stance of these cars has never appealed to me...too high in the back. The GT500 is even worse. IMO a slight drop really improves the look...eliminates much of the gap between the top of the tires and the wheel opening and just generally makes for a more aggressive appearance. My CS will be a low mile, nice weekend, pleasure only car, so I can pretty well choose where it's going to go. I've had numerous lowered cars before, but they're all different in terms of what they can handle without chewing things up. Appreciate all the input.
Bob
Old 2/8/07, 10:41 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's only the facia that's lower, the car itself doesn't sit lower. It still has those huge 4X4 wheel gaps. Why can't Ford design our cars to have much smaller wheel gaps, like a BMW, Mercedes, or even a Jaguar?

I'm probably going to put Eibach Prolines on my car soon, to get the gap down a bit. I just hope I don't start scraping the lower lip every where, like I was with the Shinoda front spoiler on my stock-height '05.
Old 2/8/07, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
It's only the facia that's lower, the car itself doesn't sit lower. It still has those huge 4X4 wheel gaps. Why can't Ford design our cars to have much smaller wheel gaps, like a BMW, Mercedes, or even a Jaguar?
Agreed, but if you lower the entire car, the front facia would be very low to the ground. Not sure if I would like my car that low. I agree the wheel gap is way to big. Let us know how it goes with the lowing!!! I would like to see some pics of a GT\CS that is lowered.
Old 2/8/07, 02:40 PM

I've been PM'ing with Rick (posts on the site as rmcomer). This is his CS dropped about 1.5 inches front/back. This is exactly how I'd like my car to look. Notice how the wheels now fill the openings properly. Great looking car, Ric.
Bob
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lowering a GT/CS