The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   "H-pipe" v "X-pipe" redux (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/h-pipe-v-x-pipe-redux-481085/)

frank s 3/5/10 05:14 PM

"H-pipe" v "X-pipe" redux

Every forum has at least one H- versus X-pipe thread. Why should GT/CS be different?

I've read many threads on this subject, and pretty much didn't care, since the consensus was, "One, maybe two percent difference, some times one way, some times the other; generally, more torque in the H configuration, more top end in the X", but not enough to get excited about, considering the investment.

If the power/torque thing is a tossup, everyone has an opinion about the sound, generally, "The H gives you a thumpier, lower sound, the X is going to be a bit higher and 'raspy' ".

Well, I'm here to check in with my (new) experience. The GT/CS comes stock with the H-pipe and kinda-quiet mufflers. I tolerated that for a month or two, and then switched the M-5230-GTAs (stock on the Shelby GT) from my V6 to the GT/CS coupe. Made a nice sound, a bit louder, lumpy and low at idle, hollered pretty good on full-throttle acceleration. I liked that, and lived with it for more than a year, then got a super deal on the FRPP M-5251-R cut 'n' bolt X-pipe. It was installed today.*

I like it, too. In fact I like it better: it's not as loud to my ear, it's a lot smoother both at idle and WOT, and any change in torque or HP output is such a small difference I can't yet actually sense it. Not to say acceleration isn't improved; the smoothness of sound makes it seem quicker to speed, somehow.

I might go to Qualcomm for the RaceLegal Friday night eighth-mile drags tonight. Maybe there will be a measurable difference ... Maybe I won't; I'd hate to find out something I like so well is slowing me down.

Summary: I think an X-pipe is an improvement over an H-pipe, esthetically and sensually. Performance? Remains to be seen. Or proven. Whatever.

Cheers!

* At Renegade Performance Mustangs & Motorsports: quick, expert service at a reasonable price. Soon to move from the Sports Arena area to Mira Mesa.

goldhillstang 3/5/10 05:53 PM

I personally like the sound of a X-pipe over the H. How was the install on the FRPP kit? I keep looking at it and thinking that fitting the Y to the ends of the cut pipes would be somewhat frustrating. As much as I've tried to keep only Ford parts on my car I've been considering the Pypes X which cuts the factory pipe closer to the cats for a straight shot on the install. Any thoughts?

gmantheman 3/5/10 08:21 PM

I believe the Shelby GT uses the FRPP splice in X-pipe.

ricksGT/CS 3/6/10 12:05 PM

I have the ford X-pipe on my GT/CS ,for over two years ,one of my first mods,,love the sound when I put the hammer down above 70 mph, :nice:

frank s 3/6/10 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by goldhillstang (Post 5825796)
I personally like the sound of a X-pipe over the H. How was the install on the FRPP kit? I keep looking at it and thinking that fitting the Y to the ends of the cut pipes would be somewhat frustrating. As much as I've tried to keep only Ford parts on my car I've been considering the Pypes X which cuts the factory pipe closer to the cats for a straight shot on the install. Any thoughts?

I didn't do the installation. The technician made two cuts, de-burred the cut ends that were staying on the car, lifted the new X into place, wrenched some bolts, checked the alignment, tightened the bolts, viola! Done in twenty minutes.
NOTE: The instructions show in pictures how simple installation is. The new pipe's swaged end lies right along the axis of the original pipes. You mark (on the from-cat pipe) where the new pipe ends (just after the bend), re-mark the from-cat pipe again, to make it an inch and a half longer than the front mark, cut on that line. The swaged end slips right over the cut, snug as a bug.

I did go to the Qualcomm races last night. Everything worked as you'd hope, except for the driver, who kept spinning and spinning the wheels, even to the extent of getting sideways after the 1-2 shift, and one episode of the dreaded axle-hop.

I have a sense that the car runs better at higher RPM, now, and the numbers were comparable to previous experiences. There are so many variables from one run to another - let alone one week to another - that it is difficult to attribute changes to changes, if you see what I mean.

So, I'm quite pleased with the X-pipe, whether or not it makes a useful difference. The really big problem seems to be the driver: how come each new pass is slower than the one before? Isn't it supposed to be the other way 'round?

gmantheman 3/6/10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by frank s (Post 5826124)
I didn't do the installation. The technician made two cuts, de-burred the cut ends that were staying on the car, lifted the new X into place, wrenched some bolts, checked the alignment, tightened the bolts, viola! Done in twenty minutes.

I did go to the Qualcomm races last night. Everything worked as you'd hope, except for the driver, who kept spinning and spinning the wheels, even to the extent of getting sideways after the 1-2 shift, and one episode of the dreaded axle-hop.

I have a sense that the car runs better at higher RPM, now, and the numbers were comparable to previous experiences. There are so many variables from one run to another - let alone one week to another - that it is difficult to attribute changes to changes, if you see what I mean.

So, I'm quite pleased with the X-pipe, whether or not it makes a useful difference. The really big problem seems to be the driver: how come each new pass is slower than the one before? Isn't it supposed to be the other way 'round?

I don't remember seeing your car there. I am going to guess your runs were about 9.2 to 9.4 at 79 to 80 MPH. My friends 02 Mustang w/ a KB and drag radials was only getting 9.4 at 83. He was spinning and fish tailing. The Q suck for traction. Take your car to Barona.

frank s 3/6/10 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by gmantheman (Post 5826131)
I don't remember seeing your car there. I am going to guess your runs were about 9.2 to 9.4 at 79 to 80 MPH. My friends 02 Mustang w/ a KB and drag radials was only getting 9.4 at 83. He was spinning and fish tailing. The Q suck for traction. Take your car to Barona.

I left after just five passes, figuring there was no point in continuing. It was about to get discouraging.

You're right on with the times/speeds; my bests are 9.299 at 78.94 in the white manual car. 9.178, 79.93 in the black automatic. Last night was even slower than that. I like the east track better; never done too good on the west side.

It seems like a good idea, trying Barona. I'll check it out.

gmantheman 3/6/10 03:59 PM

You must have left before I got there. I arrived around 8:45 or so. 9.299 is a good time for that track.

08 GT/CS 3/10/10 11:13 PM

Have an H offroad with stock mufflers - love it

ricksGT/CS 3/28/10 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ricksGT/CS (Post 5826091)
I have the ford X-pipe on my GT/CS ,for over two years ,one of my first mods,,love the sound when I put the hammer down above 70 mph, :nice:

Here you go some pictures a how to do install,:salute:Attachment 73949