42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

GT/CS vs. Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/11, 10:00 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
I love me some bullitt, but I'll be damned if I pay someone MORE to take features OFF of my car,
You fail to acknowledge all of the GT 500 pieces that were included in the Bullitt package.
Old 1/18/11, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently in the middle of purchasing my 2008 GT/CS and everything is going smoothly. He actually had already installed a c&l cai that came with a diablo tuner so I think I will have about the same hp as a bullitt. If you haven't already seen it I'll post another pic
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS vs. Bullitt-p-me0324a_634254195238003896.jpg  
Old 1/18/11, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
You fail to acknowledge all of the GT 500 pieces that were included in the Bullitt package.
What are they? All i know of is the steering wheel
Old 1/18/11, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back when I was drooling and planning and drooling some more over which 'stang to get, they were both top of my list - but the plan ended up being a Bullitt - for all the performance and nostalgia reasons - with the CS front and rear valance, side scoops and hood scoop and silver LeMans stripes...so basically a Highland Green Shelby GT knock-off, or Bullitt/CS...yeah...it still gets me excited thinking about it...but alas, money and spouse and job conspire against me.
Old 1/18/11, 10:21 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thats kind of a axis of evil
Old 1/18/11, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

or a perfect storm...but now I lean heavily towards a 2012 GT, white like my '66 in high screwel...but Bullitts can be had cheap and parts and stripes...now I am twisted up again. I rue the day when I can actually start shopping for a car.
Old 1/18/11, 10:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must have, please enlighten sir.
gt500 steering wheel, what else?

Last edited by fdjizm; 1/18/11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 1/18/11, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry G Wrecks, post hijack - Your CS looks awesome. BTW, the Bullitts had the GT500 steering wheel & front seats as well. And real aluminium dash applique.
Old 1/18/11, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by VALCAD
Sorry G Wrecks, post hijack - Your CS looks awesome. BTW, the Bullitts had the GT500 steering wheel & front seats as well. And real aluminium dash applique.
The CS also has real aluminum dash pieces, in a different finish.
Old 1/18/11, 11:51 AM
Post *****

That dash wasn't exclusive to the bullitt it's an IUP upgrade.
I disagree. I have not read anything on any forum or Ford lit or rag mag reviews where the gun metal dash was available from the factory on any Mustang besides Bullitt.

Perhaps as aftermarket but that's kind of irrelevant to the discussion.

More to follow when I get a break.
Old 1/18/11, 11:58 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Stock off the showroom floor, I'd got with the Bullitt. But I didn't.

Adding performance and appearance mods, I prefer the GT/CS as the starting point.

But again, straight off the showroom floor, never to be touched by a mod, I'd have to go with the Bullitt.

What he said.
Old 1/18/11, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

I disagree. I have not read anything on any forum or Ford lit or rag mag reviews where the gun metal dash was available from the factory on any Mustang besides Bullitt.

Perhaps as aftermarket but that's kind of irrelevant to the discussion.

More to follow when I get a break.
This is the dark IUP (gun metal) available as an option and it is aluminum

The bullitt has a swirl thing going on, that may be unique to the bullitt.
Old 1/18/11, 12:10 PM
Post *****

This is the dark IUP (gun metal) available as an option and it is aluminum

The bullitt has a swirl thing going on, that may be unique to the bullitt.
Oh. I get it. Some call the Bullitt dash 'gun metal' because of gunsmith's ornamental art. Others call it engine turned. I wasn't thinking of the blue black or black gun metal color. But yes the Bullitt dash was unique to Bullitt.
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS vs. Bullitt-orion-cls-w.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/18/11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 1/18/11, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh. I get it. Some call the Bullitt dash 'gun metal' because of gunsmith's ornamental art. Others call it engine turned. I wasn't thinking of the blue black or black gun metal color. But yes the Bullitt dash was unique to Bullitt.
I thought the seats were out of the GT500 as well. I believe the satin ring bezels too. The aluminum dash for the Bullitt is unique to the car. Exhaust (supposedly; it at least has its own part number). Better looking wheels.

I'd have gone Bullitt but then again, anything green I seem to love. Force of habit I supposed. Green and subdued, that's how I like it.
Old 1/18/11, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

That dash wasn't exclusive to the bullitt it's an IUP upgrade.
I beg to differ. The turned aluminum dash is a Bullitt exclusive from the factory.
Old 1/18/11, 01:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes I know that now, I had to look closer to see the swirls.
Old 1/18/11, 02:00 PM
GT Member

My dad has a Bullitt, and the swirl came factory. Also, I've never heard another exhaust sound anything like it. The dash is awesome. Love the ball shifter, and I think I'd never seen any of the other Mustangs up until AFTER the 2008 Bullitts that would have that same ball shifter. So, is it safe to say that ball shifter's debut was on the 2008 Bullitt?
Old 1/18/11, 02:17 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
I'm currently in the middle of purchasing my 2008 GT/CS and everything is going smoothly. He actually had already installed a c&l cai that came with a diablo tuner so I think I will have about the same hp as a bullitt. If you haven't already seen it I'll post another pic
Since you already have your 08 CS I'm not sure why you started these dual polls/threads.

My personal prefs are 1) Bullitt, 2) Shelby GT (rather have the 08 GT500KR but not enough money so that's out), 3) CS, 4) GT.

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
I think the Bullitt is more popular because it is more rare, and that is the only reason.
The Bullitt has numerous performance upgrades from the factory over your GT as well as some unique appearance features. The CS is nice but merely cosmetics. Great for modding though.

Since the Bullitt was an 08.5, it got the new heads so you don't have the 2 piece spark plug issue. It also has the improved shifter which I am not sure 08 GT's had.

Here's a compilation from my notes of how different the Bullitt is over a GT:

ALL INFORMATION EMBARGOED UNTIL TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2007,6 PM EST

2008 MUSTANG BULLITT

Ford Mustang Bullitt returns to the streets in 2008, blending the latest in Ford Racing technology with the best Mustang ever. This modern classic treats enthusiasts to the perfect balance of performance, handling and the sweet sound of Ford power that only Mustang delivers.

Drawing inspiration from the 1968 car and hit movie of the same name, the 2008 Mustang Bullitt remains true to its heritage. Dark Highland Green paint, unique black mesh grille and special interior touches call back the original. Under the hood, Bullitt delivers 315 horsepower and features the latest in Ford Racing technology, allowing for more aggressive driving dynamics while still maintaining Mustang’s balanced ride and handling.

Following are specifications for the 2008 Mustang Bullitt:

Exterior
• Highland Green (unique to Bullitt) or Black exterior paint
• Modified 18-inch micro machined Euro-flange Bullitt wheels and unique satin finish; c/o tri-bar pony wheel cap
• Dark gray painted calipers
• Modified badging with unique satin finish and Bullitt nomenclature
• Unique 3.5-inch stainless steel packed exhaust tips

Interior
• Unique aluminum I/P finish panels with unique gunmetal engine turn pattern
[The interior is pure Mustang Bullitt, understated and dressed in Charcoal Black leather and Satin metallic trim. The centerpiece of the interior is the hand-machined, aluminum swirl dash panel appliqué. <O</O
“The machined appliqué differentiates the Bullitt from any other Mustang in the line-up,” said Gaffka. “It’s also perfect for the Bullitt. The graphic presentation pings back the feel of the ‘60s while still staying true to the Mustang’s modern interior design.” <O</O
Satin aluminum bezels circle the air vents and gauges, complementing a satin aluminum shift ball that replaces the standard leather-wrapped shifter on the Mustang GT. The pedals wear race-inspired aluminum covers that further reinforce Bullitt’s performance intentions.]
• Aluminum accents – c/o IUP door handles and premier trim pedal covers and shifter trim ring
• Aluminum shifter ball unique to Bullitt
• Revised cluster with gunsight graphics and unique font
• Shelby GT500-style sport front seats and Shelby GT500-style steering wheel with Bullitt logo
• Unique aluminum sill plate (scuff plate) with Bullitt logo
• Serialization plate on strut tower brace

Powertrain
• 4.6-liter, 3-valve SOHC V-8; 315 horsepower
• Tremec RT-3650 5-speed manual transmission
Signature Bullitt exhaust sound
[The custom-designed exhaust system continues Mustang’s traditional use of a true dual-exhaust system with a new H-pipe specifically developed for Bullitt. The all-new mufflers, featuring larger 3.5-inch chrome tips (versus the 3-inch tips on the standard Mustang GT) are tuned to minimize backpressure, maximize horsepower and provide the Bullitt with its powerful exhaust note. <O</O
“We wanted to get the exhaust note as close to the original movie car as possible, so we based it on a digitally mastered DVD,” said Randle. “We wanted something that would rumble your heart, literally buzz you – and the Bullitt team delivered.”]
New open-element cold air induction system & hood blanket with AIS seal
High performance calibration [Notes from another article from Paul Randle about Bullitt’s 315 HP (@ 87 octane): Took the base 4.6 3V and completely recalibrated the engine, increased rpm to 6500 and used different crank damper.]
Dual knock strategy enabling the vehicle to run on either regular unleaded or premium (for improved performance)
[Engine performance is further enhanced through the use of an innovative adaptive spark ignition system, new for the 2008 Mustang. <O</O
The system can sense, within a few seconds, what type of fuel is being injected into the motor and adjusts the spark to provide maximum torque at any given speed – and as much as 10 pounds-feet more between 1,000 and 4,000 rpm. <O</O
Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine.]
Crisper throttle response
Revised cam timing at peak power
Redline increased by 250 RPM to 6500 RPM
3.73:1 axle ratio

Chassis
• New unique strut tower brace
• New Unique shock and strut tuning
• Rear spring change that lowers Vehicle Ride Height by approximately 6 mm
Carbon metallic front brake pads
[SUSPENSION <O</OThe engineers I talked to all said that they wanted to give the 08 a more balanced ride. You can take to the track on Sunday and drive to work on Monday as a daily driver. The Shelby</ST1 springs are less forgiving. The 6MM lowering in the rear was to reduce wheel hop when cornering. Paul Randle also said that in testing the 08 Bullitt would out corner the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comShelbys</ST1</st1:City>.]</O
GT500 Parts also included pedals, rear brake pads, and the KR (King of the Road) 3.73 diff:

Originally Posted by s197_guy
List of Bullitt axle upgrades over the base 8.8" GT

<HR align=center color=#666666 SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>
The following is the complete list of all upgrades for the Bullitt 3.73 axle:

1. Higher strength differential case material
2. 9x13 differential gear tooth combination (GT is 10 x 14)
3. Differential gears receive premium shot peening
4. Anerobic adhesive added between the differential case and ring gear
5. Higher capacity head bearing (with shim)

All other components in the Bullitt axle are common with the base GT 8.8" axle.
Also, the axle code is V-257. The code is found on two stickers on the axle. One is on the right axle tube, near the vent cap. The other is on the differential cover.<O</O
<O</O
RCSignals did add some additional precision to the response about the axles. They are 31-spline units tucked into the thicker tubes from the GT500. Also, the rear differential gears in the 3.73 units are stronger for duty in the GT500KR.
<O</O
<O</O
Ford Bulletin reads as follows:
effective date <st1:date Month=" border=" alt="" 0?></st1:date>11/12/2008: 20545 2007-2009 Mustang GT 500 and Bullitt – carbon fiber limited slip-noise-normal characteristics.
2007-2009 Mustang Bullitt and Mustang Shelby GT 500. The Mustang Bullitt and GT 500 limited slid differentials are equipped with heavy duty/racing type carbon fiber clutches. This type of limited slip differential may exhibit a chatter or moan groan noise when making sharp low speed turns. These noises are a normal characteristic of the heavy duty/racing type limited slip differential. <O</O
Sorry for the long post but it was easier for me to compile it once.

Guys either get the Steve McQueen 'cool factor' with its understated - yet improved performing - package, or they don't.
And that exhaust tone is heavenly!!

Make mine Bullitt.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/18/11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 1/18/11, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

well put... and informative. I had no clue all of those extras were included.

With that said... the only noticeable improvements are the exhaust and throttle response. I'm not saying those are the only improvements, but the only noticeable improvements.

This isn't a bashathon by any means... I just wanted to know peoples opinions on the bullitt vs. the gt/cs. I chose the gt/cs because I like the overall aesthetics of it better. As far as performance goes, they aren't too far apart (agreed?). Anyway, I've enjoyed this thread and I've learned several things that I did not know so.... cool
Old 1/18/11, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

My friend has a Bullitt, doesn't feel any differant than my car.

Quick Reply: GT/CS vs. Bullitt