2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

GT/CS vert for only 39k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/06, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GT/CS vert for only 39k!!!

I swung by a dealership that had a couple of GT/CS's on the lot. They had a white coupe and redfire coupe. I started talking to one of the 3 salesmen that tried to block-tackle me as I entered the lot. He asks what I'm looking for, I asked if they had a CS vert to look at. They didn't, but he went inside to do a search. He came out and said they located one, but "My boss said to tell you they're pricey."

Me: What's 'pricey'?

Salesman: Around 39k.

Me: So you're marking them up around 3k????

Salesman: No, that's just how much they cost. Cause, you know, it's the "Special". The "California Edition". It's got the two-tone seats and stuff.

Me: Actually, they're more like 36 to 37k sticker depending on options.

Salesman: Not for a convertible! That's how much this one is! (points at CS coupe sitting nearby that interestingly enough has no window sticker)

Me: Thanks for your time.

Salesman: Do you want to leave your number? I can call when we get something in.

Me (getting testy): No, you're about 5k more than the other dealerships I've talked to.

Salesman: WHO have you talked to??

Me: (I gave him the dealership names and prices I had gotten, 1k under sticker at one place and invoice price if ordered at another)

Salesman: Well if you leave your number I can call when we get something in. (broken record syndrome!)
<THAT'S the syndrome record broken right,>
Me: (walking away) <WALKING away>Thanks!

This just reminded me of why I hate looking at cars so much. Since I have one on order, I thankfully didn't have to endure the stupid closed-door sales pitches and listen to why a 3k "market adjustment" is not only reasonable, but the deal of the century!
Old 7/14/06, 02:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Again another example of greed. It seems to be the norm lately.
Old 7/14/06, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many salesmen just want to meet their months quota or whatever. You have to find the one or two guys who actually care about their job.
Old 7/14/06, 03:34 PM

Anyone who is interested in buying a Ford using the "X Plan" should check out this link. X Plan numbers can be given by Ford employees to friends. It allows you to purchase a Ford with little hassle and save some money. How much depends upon the car. I have a friend of a friend who works at the Ford Truck Plant here in Louisville and she hooked me up. I ordered a GT/CS last week, fairly loaded. MSRP was 31,130, Invoice was 28,554, and I paid 28,938. There are no further ad charges or dealer paperwork charges, just tax, title etc.

The dealer does not have to sell to you, and I can see why they wouldn't sell off the floor on a hot car, but I don't know why they wouldn't order one for you, they get the added sale at little effort, and make a little money since Ford reimburses them. You might be able to make a better deal, but I tried other dealerships here with no luck. Anyway, check out this link, Ford employees will set you up hopefully. My friend of a friend says they constantly push them to give out the X-Plan numbers to get Fords bought.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...act=SF&s=&f=45
Old 7/14/06, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

x-plan is definately the only way i could afford my GT I worked at lowe's at the time so i got my GT for liek 200 under invoice. it took 6 months to get the car in but the price and the car were definately worth it
Old 7/14/06, 04:00 PM

Yeah, I've heard several people say the X-Plan was closer to or under invoice, but my salesman showed me the invoice, and it even had the "A Plan"(strictly employees only) price. It was about $400 under invoice. I don't know if the popularity of the GT is driving it up or what. My friend of a friend bought a GT last year for about 200 under invoice, so my price seemed right. Anyway, worth not having to hassle with the sales team at the price I got, so I'm satisfied.
Old 7/14/06, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

(points at CS coupe sitting nearby that interestingly enough has no window sticker)
troubling that someone could drive off in new car without window sticker. i've not seen them removed, but have seen the dealer aftermarket sticker on outside of window strategically located to obscure original msrp.

This just reminded me of why I hate looking at cars so much
would make interesting psychological study to observe and document the creepyness of the typical walk-on car sales person. product knowledge is clearly the advantage.
Old 7/14/06, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get an X-plan pin, order your car exactly the way you want, then pick it up with no hassle or haggling.

X-plan and ordering was the best car buying experience I've ever had.
Old 7/14/06, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TexaStang
Get an X-plan pin, order your car exactly the way you want, then pick it up with no hassle or haggling.

X-plan and ordering was the best car buying experience I've ever had.

My (biggest and best service shop locally) dealer would not accept an order for a CS at X-plan price. Take it or leave it.
Old 7/14/06, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
My (biggest and best service shop locally) dealer would not accept an order for a CS at X-plan price. Take it or leave it.
I would have told them to kiss my a** and gone elsewhere. My local dealer here in Texas can get me a GT/CS coupe on X-Plan for 28K. Got a copy of the invoice yesterday.
Old 7/14/06, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stormbringer
I would have told them to kiss my a** and gone elsewhere. My local dealer here in Texas can get me a GT/CS coupe on X-Plan for 28K. Got a copy of the invoice yesterday.
Ditto, find yourself another dealer. I'm picking my CS up on Monday. Bought it via X-Plan. GREAT DEAL!
Old 7/14/06, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pouterson
Ditto, find yourself another dealer. I'm picking my CS up on Monday. Bought it via X-Plan. GREAT DEAL!
How can that be 10K less then my GT/CS?
Old 7/14/06, 08:02 PM
FR500 Member

Wow, that dealer's price is getting into "Shelby territory" - if you know what I mean. LOL. Glad some of you can get X-plan. I wonder what kind of fools here in HI will pay that when they finally arrive, since the dealers here are more than unwilling to take "_"-plan buys. Anyway, those additional markups will buy a lot of crack for the dealership employees until the next sucker walks on the lot.
Old 7/15/06, 12:19 AM
Cobra Member

I did get x-plan pricing even without a pin on my '07 GT that is on order (not a CS). I haven't been looking to buy a CS, but like most of us I just like going by the dealerships to check out the new models. It seems "I'm just looking" doesn't work with any of these people though I've been having to do a lot of driving around to different job sites around DFW the last month and if I see a Ford dealer I usually swing in to see what they have. It's not unusual to see a clump of salesman near the front door just waiting to swoop in. I must have "loaded middle-aged guy" written across my forehead or something

==would make interesting psychological study to observe and document the creepyness of the typical walk-on car sales person. product knowledge is clearly the advantage.==

You know, the turnover rate of sales people at dealerships must be astounding. I'd say at least 75% of the ones that have given me cards over the years have given me blank cards with their name and number filled in by hand. That is SO unprofessional. That says to me as a buyer that I'm dealing with some nimrod that doesn't know the product and was probably working at Home Depot last week. The ones that really drive me bats are the ones that don't know what they're talking about, but pretend that they do by laying on a bunch of half-baked BS. That was definitely the case with the guy from the above story!
Old 7/16/06, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! OK, so you know how I said the salesman pointed to the coupe next to us and stated "That's how much that one is" meaning 36k to 37k? Well that exact car is now listed on eBay by the same dealership for the much more reasonable price of 31k. That's still pricey (sticker price), but not as outrageous as the clueless salesman said it was. It just goes to show what a nimrod he was, he didn't even know the dealership's going price for a car sitting right there on their lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

Notice that the window sticker that I reported missing was sitting on the seat for the photos and is creased where it was all folded up and hidden away somewhere!
Old 7/16/06, 06:06 PM
V6 Member

It just goes to show what a nimrod he was, he didn't even know the dealership's going price for a car sitting right there on their lot.
or he was deliberate a-hole and thought he had you for a fool. is it possible there are people kooky enuff to walk-on, and drive off after spending $30+k -- without doing any research?

the dealer tagged the trunk-lid... these guys are whack!
Old 7/16/06, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

does the side scoop have any function beside the looks?
Old 7/16/06, 09:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by st06vert
does the side scoop have any function beside the looks?
Nope, just looks
Old 7/16/06, 09:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same with the GT/CS hood scoup
Old 7/16/06, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I notice it has not broken reserve either!

Quick Reply: GT/CS vert for only 39k!!!