2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Does the Shelby GT make the GT/CS more appealing?

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/07, 10:13 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the Shelby GT make the GT/CS more appealing?

This time last year, we saw our first spy shots of the 2007 GT/CS. Lots of folks on here were not happy that the first "Special Edition" mustang didn't have any performance improvements and was "just a graphics package".

In the interim the Shelby GT has come out and uses the GT/CS front fascia, side scopes, and rear diffuser.

The original 68 GT/CS was often called the "poor man's Shelby".

Will the introduction of the Shelby GT cause increased interest in and sales of theGT/CS?

Will it be viewed as an inexpensive alternative for those wanting a Shelby GT?
Old 3/8/07, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be, could also be that a person would buy a GT/CS, add all the mods included in the Shelby GT and tell the dealers to stick their huge markups up their collective asses.
Old 3/9/07, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Could be, could also be that a person would buy a GT/CS, add all the mods included in the Shelby GT and tell the dealers to stick their huge markups up their collective asses.
My thoughts excactly... Our GT/CS bodies are the same as the Shelby GT. The CAI is just a steeda air cone with a tune... There are better CAI you can get for the GT's as for the stripes that would be a easy add on alot with the handling package if you wanted to add that so you could get the same car for alot less.. You just don't have to pay the extra $$$ for the name S H E L B Y.. But to each their own the Shelby GT's in my area are going for 81,000 to 89,000 bucks.
Old 3/9/07, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I just wanted to have an option that didn't look exactly like every other GT. I would not have bought a standard GT if I were in the market for a car. The CS got me off the fence, at least towards another Ford.
Old 3/9/07, 09:47 PM
GT Member

You can make a GT/CS look exactly like a Shelby GT with a grill. over-the top-stripes, hood pins and a few badges.... The rest of the mods are things that most of usually do anyway....
Old 3/10/07, 01:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I was in the dealer today ordering some parts and took a look at a Shelby GT on the floor. I wasn't too keen on the hood scoop. It has the riveted on look and is slightly lower than the normal one. There is no spoiler on the back which I thought odd. What really surprised me was that the steering wheel was the basic wheel without any leather. The tires and rims are the same as the CS but there is the handling package with FRPP springs, struts, and swaybars. They had a billet style grille on the front but it was attached over the top of the stock grill. The fog lights were removed but you could see the unplugged wires hanging loose. They also cut part of the stock grill out behind the billet grill in the center. It didn't do that much for me especially since I plan on doing nearly the identical upgrades. The dealer had marked the Shelby GT up to $51k.
Old 3/10/07, 06:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I was in the dealer today ordering some parts and took a look at a Shelby GT on the floor. I wasn't too keen on the hood scoop. It has the riveted on look and is slightly lower than the normal one. There is no spoiler on the back which I thought odd. What really surprised me was that the steering wheel was the basic wheel without any leather. The tires and rims are the same as the CS but there is the handling package with FRPP springs, struts, and swaybars. They had a billet style grille on the front but it was attached over the top of the stock grill. The fog lights were removed but you could see the unplugged wires hanging loose. They also cut part of the stock grill out behind the billet grill in the center. It didn't do that much for me especially since I plan on doing nearly the identical upgrades. The dealer had marked the Shelby GT up to $51k.
The steering wheel shows they didn't order the IUP (Dumb on such an expensive car).
The grill and hood scoop are a joke.
I hear the CAI tune is not that great also, which may explain the GG Tax.
Old 3/10/07, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Not great

Originally Posted by karman
The steering wheel shows they didn't order the IUP (Dumb on such an expensive car).
The grill and hood scoop are a joke.
I hear the CAI tune is not that great also, which may explain the GG Tax.
You got that right,in motor trend they run a 1/4 in 13.6. I run it in 13.3 with my GT/CS and just had a JLT and a super chips 91 tune and no GG tax. Shelby $$$$$ no thank you.
Old 3/10/07, 01:03 PM
GT Member

Nothing against anyone making a buck, but throwing the Shelby nanme everywhere kinda dilutes the "brand" overall, expecially when it appears that the "upgrade" is mostly a badge job. To me, I have to go with the Shelby GT making the CS more appealing.

A lot of it is for reasons already mentioned - the mods are something that could be done cheaper and better (especially after any "market" adjustment...). For an enthusiast, as opposed to an "investor" or collector, the Shelby name on this car just doesn't really deliver what the Shelby name calls to mind.

Your money, your choice but my money went for a CS and absolutely no regrets. 'Sides, i'm on the Bill Harrah side of things -- a car isn't any good if it isn't driven so I want a car to collect smiles and miles and not just potential increased value some day...
Old 3/15/07, 03:13 AM
GT Member

I think the GT/CS is very attractive regardless of the arrival of the Shelby GT. That is why I bought one instead of a base GT.

With that said, had there been a convertible form of the Shelby GT without the ADM's at the time I purchased my GT/CS, I would have seriously considered buying one. Diluted or not, I'm a Shelby fan and I just like it.....just not enough to pay the huge ADM's.