2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

CS was hit last night! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/10, 12:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CS was hit last night! :(

Hi Everyone,

Not the best way to start off Thanksgiving. My car was hit last night as in a roundabout circle. I was in the right lane which could go straight or turn right onto the exit and the other driver was in the left. As I came near an exit and kept going on straight, the other driver who thought I was turning, turned her car and slammed into mine.

I will try to take pictures of it and upload them here, but the front looks distorted. The bumper is gone, the left front fender is gone, the left rim is gone, and the car does not turn left or right. I'm not sure if it's because the front fender came down onto the wheel well or if it's frame damage. I really can't say at this point.

This is my first time going through this and a friend of mine had mentioned about how for a car like this that is not a regular GT, you can request money from the insurance for the depreciation hit you take from the title showing an accident. Is this true?

It sucks because I was going to sell the car to buy the 2011 CS. But with this, I just don't know. If it does come back to be frame damage, I am going to push the insurance to just give me money outright.

Old 11/25/10, 01:30 PM
V6 Member

Pictures of the hit.
Attached Thumbnails CS was hit last night! :(-batida-001.jpg   CS was hit last night! :(-batida-003.jpg   CS was hit last night! :(-batida-010.jpg   CS was hit last night! :(-batida-011.jpg   CS was hit last night! :(-batida-012.jpg  

Old 11/25/10, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lutador83
Pictures of the hit.
sorry to hear this .
Old 11/25/10, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear, feels awful when our cars are damaged
Old 11/25/10, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

****. how is the headlight? looks like it stayed in tact pretty well. good thing too since thats an HID unit.
Old 11/25/10, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

The headlight still works but when you up close to it, the whole front just looks out of place. Sucks that it can't drive
Old 11/25/10, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by lutador83
The headlight still works but when you up close to it, the whole front just looks out of place. Sucks that it can't drive
sucks to hear. hope u get her fixed and looking good again bro.
Old 11/25/10, 04:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry to see this happen to your beautiful car.
Old 11/25/10, 09:48 PM

I feel your pain. My 09 CS got rear-ended Wednesday while the wife and kids were out running errands. Thankfully, the girls were OK. She says the damage is minimal. Still sucks
Old 11/25/10, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

The main is you are OK as cars can always be fixed.

The damage doesnt look too too bad, but I guess you will have to get a body shop to take a look at it and go from there.

I hope you will be able to get it looking and driving just as new again soon
Old 11/26/10, 05:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
OUCH! Good luck on the repairs and on your quest for a 2011 CS.
Old 11/26/10, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ouch man... i hate when this happens.
Old 11/26/10, 08:14 AM

The main thing is that you're okay. Cars can be fixed, people can't.

Looking at the pictures, I seriously doubt they'll total the car. It's a fender and bumper replacement/repaint and probably a frame straighten. Obviously there can be hidden damage but these are fairly expensive cars and the repair cost won't come anywhere close to the value required to total it.

The insurance company doesn't care if you think it's a special package (although it is) unless you've been paying higher premiums to insure a special package car. They see it as a Mustang GT with a trim package.

It's highly doubtful they'll give you the money - they generally only pay the body shops as there have been too many times where people took the money and never had the cars fixed. But you never know... Oh, and just so you're clear, if you do get the money you've settled the debt and have no recourse if the repair isn't done to your satisfaction. It's also insurance fraud if you take the money and don't have the car repaired.

You should pursue the diminished value claim though - that's what you were asking about. It will come from the insurance company of the person who hit you, not yours. And they'll likely fight to try to not pay it. Get your agent involved too - that's why you pay insurance premiums - to have them represent you (though not in any litigation) in case of an accident.

Lastly, I would suggest that you visit your local high-end dealerships (Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, etc.) and find out where THEY send cars to be repaired and take yours there for an estimate. YOU decide where to get the car fixed, not the insurance company.

Good luck. It's a pain but if you pursue it you can get the car fixed as good as new.
Old 11/26/10, 09:29 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CoryB
The main thing is that you're okay. Cars can be fixed, people can't.

Looking at the pictures, I seriously doubt they'll total the car. It's a fender and bumper replacement/repaint and probably a frame straighten. Obviously there can be hidden damage but these are fairly expensive cars and the repair cost won't come anywhere close to the value required to total it.

The insurance company doesn't care if you think it's a special package (although it is) unless you've been paying higher premiums to insure a special package car. They see it as a Mustang GT with a trim package.

It's highly doubtful they'll give you the money - they generally only pay the body shops as there have been too many times where people took the money and never had the cars fixed. But you never know... Oh, and just so you're clear, if you do get the money you've settled the debt and have no recourse if the repair isn't done to your satisfaction. It's also insurance fraud if you take the money and don't have the car repaired.

You should pursue the diminished value claim though - that's what you were asking about. It will come from the insurance company of the person who hit you, not yours. And they'll likely fight to try to not pay it. Get your agent involved too - that's why you pay insurance premiums - to have them represent you (though not in any litigation) in case of an accident.

Lastly, I would suggest that you visit your local high-end dealerships (Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, etc.) and find out where THEY send cars to be repaired and take yours there for an estimate. YOU decide where to get the car fixed, not the insurance company.

Good luck. It's a pain but if you pursue it you can get the car fixed as good as new.

I am going to agree with this. The only thing that I am going to add is that if you say that it is not steering now it might have a tie rod end broke or something of that nature. This will not total your car and looking at those pics I can be almost 100% certain that you have no frame damage. So it will be a fender replacement, bumper replacement(maybe). and headlight replacement. Oh and also a rim replacement too. Its a simple fix and shouldnt take but maybe a week or 2 to fix.
Old 11/26/10, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yeah, in terms of the shop I will be taking it to a friend who owns a body shop not too far away from my house. I am going to get the car towed there on Monday after the claims appraiser comes by my house to look at the vehicle.

When the accident happened I was concerned on whether or not it would drive normal upon being fixed. Judging by the feedback I have been getting from most people, it seems like the damage is mostly cosmetic. One thing that I am not happy about is how much the value will drop now as a result of the report not being clean on it. If the drop is substantial, I will forgo my decision of buying the 2011 CS and hanging on to this car as I would hate to lose a lot of money on the sale.

CoryB, thanks for the heads up on the diminished value claim. The other person has the same insurance as I but since they have not been able to speak with her, I have already gotten the ball rolling through my premium. At which point would I bring this up? After they find her at fault and the car is being replaced at the shop?

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm feeling better now about it. It sucks that it happened because I really enjoy this car, but a car can be replaced anytime.

Last edited by lutador83; 11/26/10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11/27/10, 07:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain, that is a easy fix. 6 mo after I got mine a valet slamed my CS into a Blazer with $12k in damage, tried to get it totaled, no chance it was fixed. Good luck with the repair.
here are a few shots of mine after the accident:

https://themustangsource.com/attachm...om-dad-004.jpg

https://themustangsource.com/attachm...om-dad-005.jpg

https://themustangsource.com/attachm...om-dad-006.jpg

Last edited by Dougxox; 11/27/10 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11/27/10, 03:46 PM

I would mention the diminished value to your insurance agent right away. That way s/he knows that you're aware of it and can start dealing with the paperwork.

When I traded in one of our cars (2005 MINI Cooper S) I told the sales manager that it had been involved in a collision (we were hit in the left quarter panel). It never showed up on Carfax despite being a full insurance job and costing about $8K to fix it. The repair was done wonderfully and the paint color matched perfectly. He told me that it's easier for them to sell a car that looks good, even if it shows on Carfax that it's been wrecked, than sell a car that needed any sort of body work or showed that any work had been done.

So ultimately, be as picky as you can when the car is repaired. Make sure the shop knows that if it's anything less than perfect, they'll be redoing it until they get it right. And despite your having a friend who runs a body shop I'd still recommend that you take it to the place where the high-end dealers send their cars.
Old 11/28/10, 09:26 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch! Well, good thing is you're okay. Sucks that happened, especially on a holiday. You have a beautiful CS, so remember to take it to a top notch place for top notch quality!
Old 11/28/10, 04:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Ouch! Well, good thing is you're okay. Sucks that happened, especially on a holiday. You have a beautiful CS, so remember to take it to a top notch place for top notch quality!
For sure! I did some searching of auto shops in the area and finally found a good one! I'm taking it there tomorrow so hopefully when they look at it closely the damages won't be too bad.
Old 11/28/10, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
horrible

Quick Reply: CS was hit last night! :(