2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Charcoal Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/06, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charcoal Instrument Panel

Okay, I am getting ever closer to ordering my GT/CS. I am going down
Saturday!!!

Another question that I have is does anyone have a comparison photo between the Charcoal Instrument Panel and the regular panel? (Especially with the parchment interior!) I am getting the IUP, but I am not sure about the charcoal.

Thanks,
Davion
Old 8/6/06, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a couple of shots of my interior with the Charcoal Panel, I really like the look. It is sort of a carbon fiber look but only slightly. I actually got it because I was concerned with the satin panel reflecting the sun into my face since I have a vert. I think it also updates the interior a bit since the satin panel has been around since 05.

Good Luck,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Instrument Panel-dsc02594.jpg   Charcoal Instrument Panel-dsc02727.jpg   Charcoal Instrument Panel-dsc02728.jpg  
Old 8/6/06, 07:04 PM

Thanks for those photos Bob, they look great! When I go to the Ford site, I have two options there one I click to add the California Special, it automatically adds the Satin instrument applique. Now, I assume that is the shiny silver version. I need to add the woven charcoal instrument panel to get it like yours, right?
Old 8/6/06, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Davion
Thanks for those photos Bob, they look great! When I go to the Ford site, I have two options there one I click to add the California Special, it automatically adds the Satin instrument applique. Now, I assume that is the shiny silver version. I need to add the woven charcoal instrument panel to get it like yours, right?
yes...
Old 8/6/06, 09:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BeBeep
I actually got it because I was concerned with the satin panel reflecting the sun into my face since I have a vert.
Good Luck,
Bob
Shades, man shades
Old 8/7/06, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes sir!!
Old 8/7/06, 07:51 PM

Well, just got back from another Ford dealership. I thought that charcoal instrument panel looked sooooooooo much better than the shiny silver.

But, the dealer took me out in a manual. We didnt have time for me to get behind the wheel, but I am really excited again about the manual. I think I am going to own up to it and get the manual!

So, CS or not to CS. I have read a lot about old mustang afficinados ragging on the CS. I certainly dont want to look like a poser, but I like the side flares, side scoops and the front!

Thoughts???
Old 8/7/06, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

I actually got it because I was concerned with the satin panel reflecting the sun into my face since I have a vert.
My personal opinion is that the charcoal panel looks better than satin in interiors like Bob's parchment PTP and in the GT/CS schemes. It seems to play off the two-tone theme a lot stronger. But I will add that my 05 vert had the satin dash in it, and it was never a reflection problem. The finish is more like mill aluminum, it doesn't really reflect light.

As Dbl E & Bob said, the "satin" is the light silver version. The darker version is called "charcoal" in the order guide and the order number is 67D.

Well, just got back from another Ford dealership. I thought that charcoal instrument panel looked sooooooooo much better than the shiny silver.

But, the dealer took me out in a manual. We didnt have time for me to get behind the wheel, but I am really excited again about the manual. I think I am going to own up to it and get the manual!

So, CS or not to CS. I have read a lot about old mustang afficinados ragging on the CS. I certainly dont want to look like a poser, but I like the side flares, side scoops and the front!

Thoughts???
I came to regret getting the auto in my 05. The 07 has a manual and I really love it. The auto is a great tranny, but slicing through the gears of the manual tranny really enhances the musclecar feel.

Don't listen to the CS naysayers, those same people no doubt all have SOMETHING on their cars that they put on for looks. I knew it had gone too far when one guy that had the window scoops on his own car was complaining about the "fake side scoops" on the CS. Give me a break!! Even in back in the 60's & 70's musclecars had fake scoops on them. My '69 Cougar Eliminator had a nasty-butt 351 Cleveland and toploader 4 speed and a big fake hood scoop. My hopped up '68 GTO also had fake scoops. It didn't matter because they ran like scalded dogs, hood scoops or no The 60's era CS package was purely cosmetic, many of them had 6 cylinder motors!! So the new CS actually has a stronger performance heritage than the original. Personally I think the CS looks great, and I say if you like it then go for it!
Old 8/7/06, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tres Wright

Don't listen to the CS naysayers, those same people no doubt all have SOMETHING on their cars that they put on for looks. I knew it had gone too far when one guy that had the window scoops on his own car was complaining about the "fake side scoops" on the CS. Give me a break!! Even in back in the 60's & 70's musclecars had fake scoops on them. My '69 Cougar Eliminator had a nasty-butt 351 Cleveland and toploader 4 speed and a big fake hood scoop. My hopped up '68 GTO also had fake scoops. It didn't matter because they ran like scalded dogs, hood scoops or no The 60's era CS package was purely cosmetic, many of them had 6 cylinder motors!! So the new CS actually has a stronger performance heritage than the original. Personally I think the CS looks great, and I say if you like it then go for it!
Well said!!! All that matters is that you like the options you get on your own car.
Old 8/8/06, 08:49 AM
GT Member

I actually traded my 06' GT Premiun coupe (Black/w Crimson) in for the 07' GT/CS. I think the look is fantastic, subtle enough and not too overdone, yet different enough not to look like every other GT on the road. I also like the fact that Ford will be building only a limited number GT/CS units and therefore they will maintain a bit of uniqueness / individuality.
Old 8/8/06, 09:06 AM

Wow, thanks everybody for your responses. I shouldn't let anyone talk me out of the car that I like. Cosmetic or not, it looks great! Also Tres, thanks for the insight into the older model CSs, makes me feel better. CS it is!!

Last night, we went down and I rode in a manual GT. Oh... my... God... That was the coolest ride I have had in a long time. It sounded so good!!! I was scared that the manual would be too noisy, but it wasnt at all.

Thanks again
Old 8/8/06, 01:37 PM

Wink Charcoal looks best

I was also debating the difference, but once I saw the Charcoal, I thought it looked much better.
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Instrument Panel-interior1.jpg  
Old 8/8/06, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Also Tres, thanks for the insight into the older model CSs, makes me feel better. CS it is!!

Last night, we went down and I rode in a manual GT. Oh... my... God... That was the coolest ride I have had in a long time. It sounded so good!!! I was scared that the manual would be too noisy, but it wasnt at all.

Thanks again
You bet, and if you want more info on the original CS this is a great site:

http://www.californiaspecial.com/

It's interesting to look at the gallery and see all the powerplants. Quite a few 6 cylinder 1 barrels! But the engine that really blows my mind is the 390 two barrel. Who would want a big block with a 2 barrel carb!?! Wacky!

My new '07 has the manual tranny in it and I couldn't agree more, it's guaranteed to put a smile on your face Feels like a musclecar through and through!
Old 8/16/06, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

Here is a couple of shots of my interior with the Charcoal Panel, I really like the look. It is sort of a carbon fiber look but only slightly. I actually got it because I was concerned with the satin panel reflecting the sun into my face since I have a vert. I think it also updates the interior a bit since the satin panel has been around since 05.

Good Luck,
Bob
Bob - your interior is really close the the GT/CS interior...is the only difference the seat insert areas are not tu-tone? I had thought it was te GT/CS interior and was going to ask how you were able to get the preimum interior pkg. with the leather dash and door switch panels. Would you confirm that your door panels are the parchament leather in the arm rest/door handle areas? If so, then I ought to be able to order just the arm rest assembly with the parchament leather .....
Old 8/16/06, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

As far as I can see my interior is exactly like the CS with the exception of the seat inserts. My seats are all black. The door panels are parchment with black inserts and parchment pull handles. I would assume you could order the pull handles separately.

I think I understood what you wanted, does that answer your question?
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Instrument Panel-dsc02597.jpg  
Old 8/16/06, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

As far as I can see my interior is exactly like the CS with the exception of the seat inserts. My seats are all black. The door panels are parchment with black inserts and parchment pull handles. I would assume you could order the pull handles separately.

I think I understood what you wanted, does that answer your question?
Bob - yes it does and thanks for the clarification....your pull handles/arm rest areas are the parchament leather....corrrect? Nice pic of your interior.....I like the pedal covers as well - may have to order them too.
Old 8/16/06, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes sir.
Old 8/16/06, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Yes sir.
Say Bob.....did you get the "active" alarm.....and where do you park at night...... JK - I'm going to have to work on Kevin a bit and see if we can order just the armrest piece in leather - after seeing a GT with the leather at the dealership - it really does dress up the interior!!
Old 8/16/06, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I leave it parked outside in a dark area, did I mention my pet rattlesnake that likes to hang out in the car?
Old 9/12/06, 01:41 PM

Sport appearance interior (18M) or PTP?

I just ordered a mustang with parchment/black interior (premier trim w/color accent package 68B) and the dealer told me that it was a black interior with parchment seats and door inserts. He told me that the parchment interior with the charcoal seats was the sport appearance w/color accent package (18M). Would you mind just confirming for me what you have? Many thanks from a new member.

Quick Reply: Charcoal Instrument Panel