2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

Anyone install FRPP Power-Pak1 (CAI + Tune)?

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/07, 12:21 PM
CAL
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone install FRPP Power-Pak1 (CAI + Tune)?

CS/GTers,
Anyone have the FRPP Power-Pak1 installed already. (CAI+Tune+GTA exhausts)

I have the GTAs on already. Got the sound I want, now (of course), turning to tuning the engine. I'm interested in the FRPP Power-Pak. Is it worth the money. (I want to stay "all-ford.")

Curious, any of you who have it installed, any "warranty issues" as in....dealer who installed, not honoring your warranty. Please lend me your expertise.

I did do a search, so sorry if any duplication here......
Old 6/13/07, 10:13 AM
V6 Member

I have a similar want and concern. Car and Driver says that it DOES void part of the warranty if done to a used car. However, I've heard many different warranty stories and loop holes. Some say yes, others say no depending on who you ask. Best bet is to call your ford dealer and ask then and them let us all know what they say .

Frankly, I've heard the PP doesn't do that much to a gt cept make it sound really cool. I'm about to upgrade to GTAs also. Good Luck! Let us know what you do.
Old 6/13/07, 03:45 PM
CAL
GT Member

Originally Posted by CaliforniaCSblack
I have a similar want and concern. Car and Driver says that it DOES void part of the warranty if done to a used car. However, I've heard many different warranty stories and loop holes. Some say yes, others say no depending on who you ask. Best bet is to call your ford dealer and ask then and them let us all know what they say .

Frankly, I've heard the PP doesn't do that much to a gt cept make it sound really cool. I'm about to upgrade to GTAs also. Good Luck! Let us know what you do.
Thank you. Good advice! I agree - bottom-line I think on the warranty issue is --- what does the dealer say/think. I can quote the Magnuson Act, Act of God, Act of Congress, they (the dealer) know, it will cost me (us) some serious $$$ to fight them. So, I'll research this some more. A few months ago, during my first oil-change, I did ask the closest ford dealer (Bankston Ford in Frisco, Tx.). They got nervous and asked that I go to another "FRPP" or "performance dealer." The dealer I asked indicated they don't sell FRPP parts? Wow, I did notice two dealer-made "Boss Package" GTs sitting there with FlowMasters on them??? Hmmmm........makes you wonder, should these cars bought at this dealer have muffler/exhausts issues....hmmmmm. Also, Ford sponsors some racing-type events, and sanctions FRPP's....seems a little confusing/mixed message here....... One thing is for certain, I've got 2+ years to go before my warranty ends ---- and I "ain't" going to make it without some type of CAI+Tune!! Each time I get "killed"..... CAI+Tune, CAI+Tune...sorry, stop it, stop the modding insanity... I'll take that 19 hp!! I need it.........Just stop with my GTAs!!! Oh god, I'm fallin' and can't get up...the mod bug......god I hate it, now when is that tax refund coming....LOL ...............
Old 6/14/07, 08:59 AM
V6 Member

Most dealerships around town should have it. I go to Troy Aikman off 75, they are racing certified and the only Roush certified in North Texas. I'm pretty sure they can do anything you like racing to your car as long as its brought to you by ford or roush. They would be the least likely dealership to void the warranty probably. I dunno, call around and ask and post what you find out.
Old 6/14/07, 10:10 AM
CAL
GT Member

Most dealerships around town should have it. I go to Troy Aikman off 75, they are racing certified and the only Roush certified in North Texas. I'm pretty sure they can do anything you like racing to your car as long as its brought to you by ford or roush. They would be the least likely dealership to void the warranty probably. I dunno, call around and ask and post what you find out.
Thanks again. This is good news, Troy Aikman is the dealer I bought my CS from! Bankston is Frisco is very close to my house. The bad news is - it's troy aikman! (I'm still a little fired-up from a cracked-windshield at 600 miles on the car that was clearly a warranty repair - you could see it originated under the rubber way down low on the base of the windshield as opposed to a rock-chip.). When i took to troy, no warranty repair and gave me a business card of a vendor...WTF!!!!! Sorry, I then took to Middlekauf Ford - who amazingly said, they don't see any crack (as I put slivers of glass on my finger to show him). Service rep said this I noticed after first asking me "who did you buy it from?" I then took to Dealer #3 - BankstonFord - who immediately walked out, took one look and said, "yes greg, that's a warranty repair" and replaced the glass (saving me $350) the next day. That's called "class" and "loyalty to a customer." Bankston Service Manager told me, "I hate to see you pay $30K for a car and us (Ford) try to get $300 more from you." Good (and rare) people there! As you can see, I'm still fired up, I've taken my car for two oil changes to date - both to Frisco.

Off on a tangent here, but naturally, it looks like I may be going back to Troy for the FRPP (CAI+Tune). No way around it it seems. I'd rather a dealer install it........I'll keep you posted. Sorry to ramble, but it REALLY ****ed me off and sort of ruined the early experience with my GT / dealing with Ford the way I was treated. (I did document this on the follow-up survey I received.) I've since chilled as bankston took care of me - and absolutely love the car. I'm becoming a Ford guy trying to get siblings/relatives to support/buy Fords. Love their cars! Take care.
Old 6/14/07, 10:58 AM
V6 Member

Wow I didn't know their service was so bad. I was going to take it there for my 5k mile service. Should I not?

Also, did you install your GTAs yourself? I just ordered mine and planned on doing it myself.
Old 6/14/07, 04:02 PM
CAL
GT Member

Wow I didn't know their service was so bad. I was going to take it there for my 5k mile service. Should I not?

Also, did you install your GTAs yourself? I just ordered mine and planned on doing it myself.
Don't let my sob-story sway you. I bought new and my salesman (I think) tried to help when I brought it in... However, when my salesman came out of that two-way mirror/tinted "bully-pulpit" you see when you first pull in to Troy, he said that allegedly "he spoke to the Sr. Sales Manager and had I bought an extended warranty - they could change replace the windshield. Since you did not - here's a vendor who can who works with us." (I was shocked, disappointed, dismayed, and all those words...I simply got back in my car and then was absolutely stunned/****ed when MiddleKauf says "they didn't see a crack?" Sorry for the language, but WTF!!

Short answer, if they are a Rousch-FRPP-certified dealer, they can certainly handle your service and do a good job. (Also, Troy indicated that I would receive 10% off of regularly scheduled service as I bought from them--- I haven't tested this yet--- cause obviously, I'm still coolin' down! If you go there, keep me posted. (Send PM) how it goes and how you are treated. Again, I love Ford and my GT-- but what happended to me was wrong.

P.S. I purchased and had my GTAs installed by Dallas Mustang. They did a good job for me. I'd recommend though--do it yourself. Save some money....
Old 6/14/07, 04:13 PM
V6 Member

Yeah they told me that up front that they don't fix factory warranties the same as extended. I got the extended one luckily so maybe they will be nice. Hey PM me. When did you get your baby? What other mods have you done?

I also bought my GTAs from them but just had them shipped. How much did they charge to put them on? I've heard it only takes an hour to do by yourself, I think I got one to spare. Is it so much sweeter than stock?
Old 6/17/07, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

The FRPP CAI useds the stock air tube and the tune is mild. The Shelby GT was re-rated by Ford as 319, down from 325 hp. Go for the C&L CAI with an X-Cal2 from Bamachips (he's a vendor on this forum). His tunes are of the highest quality, WILL make a noticeable difference, and are safe for your engine. I've had mine on for the pst 4000 mi and no codes/problems of any kind.

I had the PP/warranty conversation with the service manager at the dealership where I bought the car (McRee Ford in ****inson, TX), and he said that if the PP breaks something else, then the broken part isn't warrantied, but the PP doesn't void the vehicle's warranty overall. Now seeing as how there are literally hundreds of guys on these forums running these CAI+Tune combos with no problems as a result of the same, it's not a big risk IMHO. In fact, they're guys running SC's (440 rwhp) and still the stock internals hold up well. The engine is good for up to about 480 rwhp before rods/crank fail. The tune/CAI is going to improve the fun factor, and is not likely to damage the engine at all, especially if you go with a quality package (again Bamachips is top notch).

I myself had the same concerns as you and prior to getting on these websites was going to get the dealer to install the FRPP power pack, but after learning what I have, don't bother. I bought the FRPP Stingers (louder than your GTA's but also have some dron 1500-1950 rpm) which are a straight-through flow design, and the Bamachips CAI with the 87 Perf tune (in case your caught in BFE with no premium gas), a 93 Torque tune (which I use for DD because I get good mileage with it), and a 93 Race tune, which emphasizes the upper rpm range and make the throttle reaction much quicker. Also, with the C&L CAI+ Bamachips tune, I can literally take this thing back to stock in 45 minutes, and all they can tell what that the Spanish Oak software (don't ask me why it's called that) was accessed, but nothing else).

Whew! What a ramble. This is REALLY a mild/safe upgrade...you're not running NOX or something aggressive like that....enjoy it!
Old 6/17/07, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Marc,

Nice informative post. You just helped me and probably quite a few others. I think many of us are concerned about warranty voiding.
Thanks again!
Old 6/17/07, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 3Strikes
Marc,

Nice informative post. You just helped me and probably quite a few others. I think many of us are concerned about warranty voiding.
Thanks again!
Yw. Glad it still made sense with all the typo's!
Old 6/18/07, 09:34 AM
CAL
GT Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
The FRPP CAI useds the stock air tube and the tune is mild. The Shelby GT was re-rated by Ford as 319, down from 325 hp. Go for the C&L CAI with an X-Cal2 from Bamachips (he's a vendor on this forum). His tunes are of the highest quality, WILL make a noticeable difference, and are safe for your engine. I've had mine on for the pst 4000 mi and no codes/problems of any kind.

I had the PP/warranty conversation with the service manager at the dealership where I bought the car (McRee Ford in ****inson, TX), and he said that if the PP breaks something else, then the broken part isn't warrantied, but the PP doesn't void the vehicle's warranty overall. Now seeing as how there are literally hundreds of guys on these forums running these CAI+Tune combos with no problems as a result of the same, it's not a big risk IMHO. In fact, they're guys running SC's (440 rwhp) and still the stock internals hold up well. The engine is good for up to about 480 rwhp before rods/crank fail. The tune/CAI is going to improve the fun factor, and is not likely to damage the engine at all, especially if you go with a quality package (again Bamachips is top notch).

I myself had the same concerns as you and prior to getting on these websites was going to get the dealer to install the FRPP power pack, but after learning what I have, don't bother. I bought the FRPP Stingers (louder than your GTA's but also have some dron 1500-1950 rpm) which are a straight-through flow design, and the Bamachips CAI with the 87 Perf tune (in case your caught in BFE with no premium gas), a 93 Torque tune (which I use for DD because I get good mileage with it), and a 93 Race tune, which emphasizes the upper rpm range and make the throttle reaction much quicker. Also, with the C&L CAI+ Bamachips tune, I can literally take this thing back to stock in 45 minutes, and all they can tell what that the Spanish Oak software (don't ask me why it's called that) was accessed, but nothing else).

Whew! What a ramble. This is REALLY a mild/safe upgrade...you're not running NOX or something aggressive like that....enjoy it!
Yes, thank you Sir for taking the time to respond and write this great / informative response. Helps my decision process quite a bit! Appreciate it. I'll look for you to blow-on by me with that CAI+Tune!! LOL.
Old 6/19/07, 10:35 PM
V6 Member

I think I would have installed the cold air intake power pack, but the problem is it requires I think 92 or 94 octane gas with the engine tune which at these prices of today's gas was not really worth it. About a 25 HP gain (300 to 325) the car already has lots of guts why waste the gas money when you can not really test it anyways ....with out chancing a $300 speeding ticket that is.

Bottom line: It looks cool on the engine, 25 HP gain, likely more rumble out the back end, but the extra money spent on high octane gas + the cost of installation makes it an item where the cashola could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 6/20/07, 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BCTechieboy
I think I would have installed the cold air intake power pack, but the problem is it requires I think 92 or 94 octane gas with the engine tune which at these prices of today's gas was not really worth it. About a 25 HP gain (300 to 325) the car already has lots of guts why waste the gas money when you can not really test it anyways ....with out chancing a $300 speeding ticket that is.

Bottom line: It looks cool on the engine, 25 HP gain, likely more rumble out the back end, but the extra money spent on high octane gas + the cost of installation makes it an item where the cashola could be better spent elsewhere.
Guys: Cost of Installation is zero the CAI+Tune is as DIY as it gets...45 minutes. If you get the C&L CAI + SCT xCal2 tuner, with a tune (actually, you get 3) from a reputable tuner like Bamachips, you can request an 87 Performance, 89 Perf, 93 Torque, 93 Perf, or 93 Race tunes. You could run you 87 Perf (I actually have it in case I'm caught in BFE w/no premium gas), and your gas bill wouldn't change....other than due to your LEAD FOOT that is!
Old 6/20/07, 06:12 AM
Cobra Member

+1 On what Marc has said.
This is very easy to do and safe. I put in the 93 Race right away and don't regret it. The cost of 93 over 87 here is $.20 a gallon which works out to a WHOPPING $3 a fill up and since I fill up twice a month that works out to a whopping $6 a month!
Well bust my piggy bank.
The MPG looks like it may have gone up a tad around town and the highway MPG is the same. So for $6 a month I get more power when I want it, smoother throttle response and no hit on MPG. That is a bargin in my book any day.
I think my JLT will take about 30 minutes to swap out when I go for warrenty repairs.
Old 7/9/07, 03:18 PM
CAL
GT Member

Latest and Greatest on FRPP's and Dealerships......

Ok,
It's been awhile, but I'm writing this as it may help others. I just got off the phone with the service representative at Troy Aikman Ford in Dallas. (Aikman Ford I was told was a "Performance Dealership" and FRPP friendly....Well, no dice.

The rep did not know what FRPP stood for when he returned my call --- I knew that wasn't good. He did recognize when I said "Ford Racing Performance Parts".... As background, I had inquired about Troy Aikman installing the FRPP "Power-Pak1" a.k.a. Ford CAI+Tune....on my CS/GT (that I bought new through them and have less than 4K miles on it.)

No dice, not only will they not warranty any Ford Racing Performance Part, they won't touch this installation period either.......Amazing. Given their dealership has literally dozens of Rousch Supercharged Mustangs, etc., etc. on the lot...

Looks like A) I'll wait til' warranty expires and B) knowing what I now know---go with an aftermarket CAI+Tune--I've heard they're better....wow. I was hoping to keep my GT "all ford parts." Oh well,...Interesting isn't it.....Ford will warranty the Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H (both have the exact same CAI+Tune + Exhausts I have, but not even install it on my car.......interesting....... OK....only two more years til' warranty ends.........CAI, CAI...CAI...stop the insanity....
Old 7/9/07, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

BULL***T: You WILL NOT wait till the warranty expires

Originally Posted by CAL
Ok,
It's been awhile, but I'm writing this as it may help others. I just got off the phone with the service representative at Troy Aikman Ford in Dallas. (Aikman Ford I was told was a "Performance Dealership" and FRPP friendly....Well, no dice.

The rep did not know what FRPP stood for when he returned my call --- I knew that wasn't good. He did recognize when I said "Ford Racing Performance Parts".... As background, I had inquired about Troy Aikman installing the FRPP "Power-Pak1" a.k.a. Ford CAI+Tune....on my CS/GT (that I bought new through them and have less than 4K miles on it.)

No dice, not only will they not warranty any Ford Racing Performance Part, they won't touch this installation period either.......Amazing. Given their dealership has literally dozens of Rousch Supercharged Mustangs, etc., etc. on the lot...

Looks like A) I'll wait til' warranty expires and B) knowing what I now know---go with an aftermarket CAI+Tune--I've heard they're better....wow. I was hoping to keep my GT "all ford parts." Oh well,...Interesting isn't it.....Ford will warranty the Shelby GT and Shelby GT-H (both have the exact same CAI+Tune + Exhausts I have, but not even install it on my car.......interesting....... OK....only two more years til' warranty ends.........CAI, CAI...CAI...stop the insanity....
You know that and I know that...in fact anyone with mods knows that...its like when I said, OK, that's the last mod I'm going to do to the car...YEAH RIGHT!!!

Now I'm in the same boat...my GT/CS only just ticked over to 6k miles, and I'm not going to put a SC on it, cause it won't pass emissions and void warranty, and I'm not doing the CMCV delete plates either, becasue I can't reverse that in 45 minutes....but the C&L CAI with the Bamachips Tune...no way I'd give up that! Here's what you do: YOU BUY THE PACKAGE FROM DOUG, you get a 10mm socket, and a flathead screwdriver, and an allen wrench (in fact I think the kit brings one), and YOU INSTALL IT within 45 minutes. You don't have someone install it for you, mind you, you do it yourself so you know how EASY it is.

If you EVER have a problem, you reverse the thing back to stock in 45 minutes, and PRESTO: stock. You can even clean up and carry the stock airbox and tools in a box in the trunk of the car, if you're feeling paranoid, that way even if your car would have to be towed back to the dealer, it would arrive in stock condition (you would also have the xCal2 in your glove compartment, like I do, to switch tunes, or in this case to switch back to stock tune). The only thing the dealer *might* be able to see is that the PCM was accessed.

Oh, and you can go an extra-paranoid-mile (I'm being facetious, but serious at the same time, because I've considered it too), and you could ask Doug to leave the rev limiter at stock levels (6250 rpm) instead of the 6800 he puts on his tunes, because RPM puts way more stress on the engine components than anything else..

Ok, I'm a natural born salesman (no I don't sell any of this stuff, just want you to enjoy this car to the fullest you'll allow yourself), so bring on the objections...I'M READY!!!
Old 7/10/07, 08:15 AM
CAL
GT Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
You know that and I know that...in fact anyone with mods knows that...its like when I said, OK, that's the last mod I'm going to do to the car...YEAH RIGHT!!!

Now I'm in the same boat...my GT/CS only just ticked over to 6k miles, and I'm not going to put a SC on it, cause it won't pass emissions and void warranty, and I'm not doing the CMCV delete plates either, becasue I can't reverse that in 45 minutes....but the C&L CAI with the Bamachips Tune...no way I'd give up that! Here's what you do: YOU BUY THE PACKAGE FROM DOUG, you get a 10mm socket, and a flathead screwdriver, and an allen wrench (in fact I think the kit brings one), and YOU INSTALL IT within 45 minutes. You don't have someone install it for you, mind you, you do it yourself so you know how EASY it is.

If you EVER have a problem, you reverse the thing back to stock in 45 minutes, and PRESTO: stock. You can even clean up and carry the stock airbox and tools in a box in the trunk of the car, if you're feeling paranoid, that way even if your car would have to be towed back to the dealer, it would arrive in stock condition (you would also have the xCal2 in your glove compartment, like I do, to switch tunes, or in this case to switch back to stock tune). The only thing the dealer *might* be able to see is that the PCM was accessed.

Oh, and you can go an extra-paranoid-mile (I'm being facetious, but serious at the same time, because I've considered it too), and you could ask Doug to leave the rev limiter at stock levels (6250 rpm) instead of the 6800 he puts on his tunes, because RPM puts way more stress on the engine components than anything else..

Ok, I'm a natural born salesman (no I don't sell any of this stuff, just want you to enjoy this car to the fullest you'll allow yourself), so bring on the objections...I'M READY!!!
Mr. Clean...you're killing me LOL! I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK! And yes, you're right - I ain't goin' to make it to the end of the warranty.......CAI here I come!
Old 7/10/07, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ahhhhh...I feel the relief already!!
Old 7/10/07, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Don't forget that the FRPP kit is simply a stickered up Steeda CAI. I picked up a brand new Steeda with the upgraded intake tube on ebay for a song, then got some tunes from Doug at Bama. I'm VERY pleased with the results. If you buy the Steeda then slap some FRPP stickers on it you'll still have your "All Ford" intake that you're shooting for. I would guess that the factory tune is VERY mild as compared to Doug's so that wouldn't really be worth the money.

Quick Reply: Anyone install FRPP Power-Pak1 (CAI + Tune)?