Grabber Orange Grabber Orange 2007+ Mustangs

BACK in BLACK

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/06, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BACK in BLACK

Say Hey my Brothers Of Grabber Orange!!! This is the first new thread I've posted in over two months. I thought I'd get back into the swing of things with a few pics that I took to document the transition from "U3" to "BACK IN BLACK". Since buying this car, I've turned into one heckuva picture wh*re, so let's get started.

El Diablo. Built on 06/06/06. As delivered on July 5th, 2006:

I told myself I'd wait one full year before any mods.
Broke this promise after the second car payment.

Mod1. Mirror inserts from Midwest Auto Gear, dry fitted here...

Mod2. From Steeda, their fiberglass front splitter, being dry fitted...

Left the shop on Wed, Sept 20th, returned on Thursday to this...

Mod3. Gloss black paint for the stock hood. Think 'Steeda'...

A close-up of the painted splitter...

Returned Friday, Sept 22nd to find this outside the shop...

So excited I decided to drive over to Winner Ford and show the gang...

Mod4. On Sunday the 24th, I applied Steeda's Sidewinder vinyl stripes (and mirror inserts) ...

At this point, I thought I was done with the exterior. Wrong.
Mod5. Silverhorse Racing's Honeycomb Panel...

The panel was added in late October. Just in time for Halloween.
This is how she looked on October 31st... all you add is black cats!

Compared to a 1970 Mach 1...

Compared to itself from the night I brought it home...

When the car was bone stock, I took 2nd place in one car show, 3rd in another. After the mods were done, I attended a large car show put on by one of the local Corvette clubs and came in 3rd place. 2nd Place went to Jeff Greenly (05FordGT here on TMS)!

I have a couple of minor interior mods planned and just this week I purchased an SCT X-CALIBRATOR 2 Tuner from Brenspeed as focus shifts from cosmetics to performance.

That's pretty much it. While I may not have the best looking Grabber Orange GT in the country, it brings me nothing but poop eatin' grins every time I hop in and drive. There is nothing I would do differently given the opportunity.

Everyone has an opinion as to what a 2009 'Boss' or 'Mach 1' should look like. If I worked for Ford, this is what I would put on the streets. After I cut a big commission check to the folks at Steeda first, of course! They really came up with a great paint scheme by painting the hood black at the creases.

Thanks for looking! Take care of your Stangs!
Old 11/16/06, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice
Old 11/16/06, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! Looks very Good Now its really your Mustang
Old 11/16/06, 08:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I nearly went with black on the hood and deck lid but the engine cover color looked like a different way to go,no regrets.I figure there aren't many color combos to go with the new grabber color.One reason I didn't go with black was the roads here in Denver suck during the winter.My 06 G.T suffered a few rock chips off the edge of the hood.
Your car looks great and the little mirror covers really pick up the black on orange combo. Here's how my 06' looked.

Old 11/17/06, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pitpup
Say Hey my Brothers Of Grabber Orange!!! This is the first new thread I've posted in over two months. ...

Thanks for looking! Take care of your Stangs!
Looking awesome Stan. I am still waiting for my exterior mod inspiration to arrive. Wrestling with the decision to go topless and how all that black on the top kind of precludes any more blackness. I agree that the color screams to be augmented with Black. I should get my rear light chrome trim on Saturday and my shock tower covers are on the way as well.

I am now thinking that I would like to go with something like the FRHP, but it states that it is for coupe only. I wonder why?..
Old 11/17/06, 08:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Stan, how's it going? Your car always looks fantastic!! Very unique! Its very menacing looking from my rearview mirror that day in Brooklawn. Hey, I got a question? That black GT in the pic with your car, with the red stripes? Do you know who's it is? I say that, as we actually sold the car to a local fellow, and had the stripes painted on. He saw my car and got the same exhaust, spoiler, and stripes done. He did a duplicate of mine. Is that car owned by someone @ Winner? I'd be curious to know. Thanks again, and good to see you on the boards.
Old 11/17/06, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
I nearly went with black on the hood and deck lid but the engine cover color looked like a different way to go,no regrets.I figure there aren't many color combos to go with the new grabber color.
Pat,

I REALLY like the Tungsten hood. My first idea was to do the 10" LeMans stripes in Tungsten, like the GT500. Then the wife suggested white. (Liked that idea, too.) But every time I saw a Steeda, regardless of color, my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I started breathing heavier. The rest is history. Nice touch on the LL by the way. I noticed you painted your wing black with that one.
Old 11/17/06, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey, I got a question? That black GT in the pic with your car, with the red stripes? Do you know who's it is? I say that, as we actually sold the car to a local fellow, and had the stripes painted on. He saw my car and got the same exhaust, spoiler, and stripes done. He did a duplicate of mine. Is that car owned by someone @ Winner? I'd be curious to know. Thanks again, and good to see you on the boards.

Jeff,

I was told by my peeps at Winner Ford (and I know all of them by their first names) that the car had 400 miles on it when purchased (not traded in) by Winner Ford. This car is NOT owned by anyone at Winner. It is on the lot, available for sale. Yes, the stripes are painted on. Both the hood and rockers, if I'm not mistaken. The guy that owned this car went and purchased a top of the line Saleen, if memory serves. Imagine... 400 miles. When I pulled up, the sales manager went over to the used car lot and drove it over next to mine for the photo op.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they still have this car. At least they did two weeks ago. Why is it still on the lot? They want a lot for it and are not willing to drop the price. Geez. You can get a new GT and have the stripes painted on for about the same money, ya know?

I do seem to remember them saying the guy was from PA... Meanwhile, welt on order and SCT-2 is coming next week... Vroom, Vroooooom!
Old 11/17/06, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Jeff,

I was told by my peeps at Winner Ford (and I know all of them by their first names) that the car had 400 miles on it when purchased (not traded in) by Winner Ford. This car is NOT owned by anyone at Winner. It is on the lot, available for sale. Yes, the stripes are painted on. Both the hood and rockers, if I'm not mistaken. The guy that owned this car went and purchased a top of the line Saleen, if memory serves. Imagine... 400 miles. When I pulled up, the sales manager went over to the used car lot and drove it over next to mine for the photo op.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they still have this car. At least they did two weeks ago. Why is it still on the lot? They want a lot for it and are not willing to drop the price. Geez. You can get a new GT and have the stripes painted on for about the same money, ya know?

I do seem to remember them saying the guy was from PA... Meanwhile, welt on order and SCT-2 is coming next week... Vroom, Vroooooom!
Yep, Stan, thats the car we sold him. Let me tell you, the guy who had this car, just picked up a Shelby GT500 that he got from a dealer in NY. He paid $75,000 for the car, $25,000 OVER MSRP!!! He had it drop shipped to my dealer. All we do, is the paperwork. I couldn't believe it, when I heard that much was spent on the Shelby!!!
Old 11/17/06, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Yep, Stan, thats the car we sold him. Let me tell you, the guy who had this car, just picked up a Shelby GT500 that he got from a dealer in NY. He paid $75,000 for the car, $25,000 OVER MSRP!!! He had it drop shipped to my dealer. All we do, is the paperwork. I couldn't believe it, when I heard that much was spent on the Shelby!!!
Sucker born every minute. Makes me more frustrated than Jesse Jackson in the airport having to answer the white courtesy phone.
Old 11/17/06, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Sucker born every minute. Makes me more frustrated than Jesse Jackson in the airport having to answer the white courtesy phone.
Alan, where do you come up with this stuff? Refresh my memory about he three legged dog. I saw this in another post on another website, but can't remember where. Thx.
Old 11/17/06, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Uh, I can't claim that they all are original. Here's the one that you are thinking of. "More frustrated than a three legged dog trying to bury a turd on an icy lake".
Old 11/17/06, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Pat,

I REALLY like the Tungsten hood. My first idea was to do the 10" LeMans stripes in Tungsten, like the GT500. Then the wife suggested white. (Liked that idea, too.) But every time I saw a Steeda, regardless of color, my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I started breathing heavier. The rest is history. Nice touch on the LL by the way. I noticed you painted your wing black with that one.
My third choice on the stripe color was Wimbleton White,I thought that color wouldn't clash like frost or artic white.Too many colors...not enough stripes
Old 11/17/06, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Hey Pitpup, had some guy email me awhile ago asking why I was using your avatar on here...I was like, um...I took that pic in my yard, and 'chopped it myself, lol. Never heard back from him.
Old 11/17/06, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

But every time I saw a Steeda, regardless of color, my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I started breathing heavier. The rest is history.
Yeah, you gotta go with your gut! Whenever I saw a Black Mustang I did the same and that is what I ended up with. Love your car! It looks great!
Old 11/22/06, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by grabber07
Hey Pitpup, had some guy email me awhile ago asking why I was using your avatar on here...I was like, um...I took that pic in my yard, and 'chopped it myself, lol. Never heard back from him.
LOL... ya gotta wonder how these people get their pants on in the morning. In any event, they won't confuse the two now. I've just upgraded my avatar. if you don't see a change... hit refresh!

(It should be a smaller version of this...)

Old 11/22/06, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Yeah, you gotta go with your gut! Whenever I saw a Black Mustang I did the same and that is what I ended up with. Love your car! It looks great!
Thanks, John. Now... I'm saving all my spare change for go fast mods. I'm down to either N/A with cams or Kenne Bell 2.4L with 5psi. I'm really on the fence, but if someone were to put a gun to my head, I'd say supercharger.

Lastly, I was never crazy about black mustangs. Not because I did not like the look. I was not crazy about the upkeep!!! Now that I have Tommy Tu-Tone in the driveway, I have a whole new respect for black. I actually dig it. I put three coats of Meguires on that bonnet and sha-zam! That reflection is a beautiful thing...
Old 11/23/06, 05:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

she looks like she's ready for the races...
Old 11/25/06, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
she looks like she's ready for the races...
Well, if she wasn't before, she is now. I broke out my Xcal-2 from Brenspeed on Friday after all the house guests left. I received it Tuesday night, but due to wet weather, decided to hold off until Black Friday.

I loaded up the 87 tune. The first three hard accellerations it knocked. So I decided to take it easy for 5-10 miles and cruised. Then I found a back road and WOT'd. No more knocking. Just sweet, noticable acceleration. Now I know what they mean when they say it 'wakes the car up'. Now I'm thinking, what are the other two tunes gonna feel like?

Well, I had about 4 gallons left. So I go add approx. 10 gals. of 93 octane, drive it for 5 miles, then hook up the Xcal-2 and load the 91 octane tune. I noticed a slight difference in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts over the 87 tune. I'll run this tank out and refill with 93 and upload the 93 tune next week.

The weather will be nice for a little while longer. At least I'll get to experience the 93 octane tune before I go back to 87 for the winter. The Brenspeed tunes are awesome (well,the first two)! Can't wait to try the big daddy of 'em all when I refill.
Old 11/25/06, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought that you wanted to take a trip to Evolution and get Mr. Lund to put on a custom tune for ya...I'm planning on doing that once I get up enough nerve to add the 3.73's in...No point in getting a custom tune with 3.31's I figure...

Quick Reply: BACK in BLACK