Vinyl vs painted, remember the argument?

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/06, 03:53 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Vinyl vs painted, remember the argument?

At least for the white stripes, paint wins.

I went to see a Torch Red with white stripes.
- Two pieces of each stripe for each bumper, the top pieces do not match as a staight line and over lapped the bottom pieces hence, the 3/4" of double vinyl is darker and the splice stands out.
- At least ten bubbles on the roof and rear.
- The middle gap between the two stripes was off 1/4" from one to the other on the roof.
- It seems to me the vinyl is very thin.

I had seen a Performance White with Vista Blue stripes before, it look fine but I did not have a close look.

Other than the stripe issues, the rest of the car looked fantastic and to my surprise there was no orange peel.
Old 10/22/06, 07:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The over the top stripes i've seen are hideous too. Painted on is the only way.
Old 10/23/06, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I had mine painted and think it is the only way to go. But I think vinyl can look real good is you have a good installer that really cares. I imiagine the typical assembly line worker putting them on the GT500 has pride in their work but does not go that extra little bit to do a superior job.
Old 10/23/06, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
At least for the white stripes, paint wins.

I went to see a Torch Red with white stripes.
- Two pieces of each stripe for each bumper, the top pieces do not match as a staight line and over lapped the bottom pieces hence, the 3/4" of double vinyl is darker and the splice stands out.
- At least ten bubbles on the roof and rear.
- The middle gap between the two stripes was off 1/4" from one to the other on the roof.
- It seems to me the vinyl if very thin.

I had seen a Performance White with Vista Blue stripes before, it look fine but I did not have a close look.

Other than the stripe issues, the rest of the car looked fantastic and to my surprise there was no orange peel.
Are you still thinking about buying one?
Old 10/23/06, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Are you still thinking about buying one?
Absolutely, although perhaps not this year.

I have a gut feeling my loyal and honorable dealer is being less than honorable. No problem. There are others and I am patient.
Old 10/23/06, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sts767
I had mine painted...
How $$$ much?
Old 10/23/06, 09:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George,

Our time is coming soon. That Shelby interview says the car we are expecting is coming (KR?). He also says 3 other Shelby Mustangs are coming. Can you say watered down and market flooded.

Also, several guys on stngsunleashed got denied membership in the Shelby Owner's Forum because it is not a car made by Shelby.

edit (If) The car is not a "real" Shelby, and there will be several "real" Shelbys and there is going to be a bigger performer. Bye, Bye ADMs.
Old 10/24/06, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
... Also, several guys on stngsunleashed got denied membership in the Shelby Owner's Forum because it is not a car made by Shelby...

So.................

It seems Shelby Autos is admitting they are a tuner and not a manufacturer. I am overwhelmed at their honesty.

Old 10/24/06, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

If they are not letting them join a forum than that is bogus. The Shelby American Automotive Club that keeps the Shelby registry and also appraises and helps insure real Shelby's considers them the same.

"In 2005 a new generation of Shelby Mustangs was unveiled. Carroll Shelby was back at work with the Ford Motor Company, and his hand prints were all over the 2007 Shelby GT500 model. The excitement these cars created was amazing... even before the first one was completed. With cars promised for summer 2006 delivery, a veritable feeding frenzy took place and Ford dealers found themselves besieged with potential buyers. Before long they were accepting orders, but only with surcharges of $10,000 to $25,000 over MSRP. Many of these buyers were already SAAC members, but those who weren't were invited to join the club and participate in its activities with this newest generation of Shelbys. Before the first car was completed SAAC was already setting up a registry so the histories of these cars could be recorded from Day One. The same thing was going on with Ford's new Ford GTs.
Carroll Shelby is not a one act play. No sooner were the details finalized on the new GT500s then Shelby and Ford announced they would be teaming up with Hertz to provide that company with a black-and-gold rental version of the Shelby Mustang, called the Shelby GT-H. The 500 examples produced proved so popular that Shelby and Ford followed that up with another model, the Shelby GT - another Shelby Mustang positioned between the standard Mustang GT and the Shelby GT500. Before anyone could catch their breath, Carroll Shelby had pulled three rabbits out of his black cowboy hat and a new generation of Shelby owners was created. Each of these new models will have its own registry and its own following."