Vauxhall Monaro VXR v Shelby Mustang GT500 comparo

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/06, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vauxhall Monaro VXR v Shelby Mustang GT500 comparo

HOPE IT'S NOT A REPOST
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...mentid=1077431

'Despite its crowd-pulling abilities and emotive whiff of nostalgia however, it?s obvious the Shelby GT500 can?t cut it here in the UK...'

all the Mustang owners from Europe I talked to(there are quite many of them,even in Poland where roads are terrible) were pleased with how their GTs handled.So the sentence I quoted is
My point is : better ask the customer what he thinks about the product,not the journalist.

best wishes
Old 10/18/06, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this article say about what the UK thinks of us...

"A car from the place where you have the right to bear firearms, and most of the population exercise that right with arsenals the size of a modest army."

WOW. And I don't even own a single weapon, other than steak knives and lighter fluid for my grill that is...
Old 10/18/06, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes another automotive journalist slamming Ford.

WHAT A SHOCK!
Old 10/18/06, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess what it means is that, it doesn't matter if you car looks like crap or a pontiac, just as long as your car performs well with a lot of borrowed parts
Old 10/18/06, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, there are two things to take into account for the article to realize it's something to ignore and will never be main stream press.

One, it's from MSN, anything from Microsquish is not entirely right in the head and most all credable sources will laught at it. Can you say "in house" articles.

Second, who's James Mills? I've never heard of him before. I couldn't even find any info on him in Google. I think he's a younger "chap" as he daftly compares the interior of the Shelby GT500 to a Sci-fi show from the 70's.
Old 10/18/06, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by futuresvt
What does this article say about what the UK thinks of us...

"A car from the place where you have the right to bear firearms, and most of the population exercise that right with arsenals the size of a modest army."

WOW. And I don't even own a single weapon, other than steak knives and lighter fluid for my grill that is...
To me that statement took away any credibility that the writer might have had. It shows the writer's predjudice right away, and told me right then what the outcome would be.

When a writer can't get their facts straight and right away spouts off a untrue stereotype, I can't put any faith in anything else in the article being accurate.

From the article:
It’s out of its depth, challenged by our peculiar roads and caught off guard by our distinct dynamic tastes. As an example of how to do it, Ford should have checked out the Monaro VXR during the Shelby GT500’s development phase.
Uhh yeah, Ford should definitely design and tailor the GT500 for the tastes of "journalists" in one country where only 2 or 3 will be imported.
They should have made the GT500 in the image of a car that when imported to the US had trouble selling ...
Old 10/19/06, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RalphBullit
HOPE IT'S NOT A REPOST
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...mentid=1077431
My point is : better ask the customer what he thinks about the product,not the journalist.

best wishes
Journalist needs to research the comparable Performance Cars in their own Country prior to comparing Stats. The GT500 is comparable to their 70-80K car. IF they could have built better, they need to bring it.

In the words of the Cheif Engineer at SVT, ... "while they are out dreaming of something for it to compare to, Ours is on the street."

Consumer has already spoken of their desires and evidently, that does not match the opinion of the said Writer.
Old 10/20/06, 09:27 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Yes another automotive journalist slamming Ford.

WHAT A SHOCK!
Yeah, I actually heard about a giant underground meeting - in COMMUNIST China, I believe it was - where most of the world's automotive journalists met, held a black mass, and took a blood oath to pick on Ford - and all domestic brands - until the end of eternity. (I think they even sacrificed a couple of 'screaming chickens'.)

That said, I couldn't find anything on this guy, either, and it says he's a "contributor," which pretty much says it all.

However, cultural attacks aside, remember that most LEGITIMATE automotive journalists spend FAR more time in a greater range of vehicles than probably anyone on this board, so they're in a pretty good position to compare and contrast automobiles.