View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes the GT500 will be quicker than an 03/04 cobra but the difference wont justify the price
41.44%
Yes the GT500 will be quicker than an 03/04 cobra and the difference will justify the price
34.23%
No the GT500 will not be faster than an 03/04 cobra (stock for stock)
8.11%
I have no Idea/To soon to tell
16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Underwhelmed is an understatement

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/06, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejoker
While I am not a fan of IRS (yay! lets add more weight!!) I generally agree with this statement. If ford is gonna charge an extra 10k (03/04 cobras were around 34k) for the 'next generation' mustang cobra it had better deliver beyond expectations. For me personally, the car has just fallen short of what I had hoped for. Its not under 40k, and it dosent dominate its price bracket performance wise (i.e. corvette).

I still want one
I can respect everyone's opinions on the GT500 , mine is a little biased because my generation always had a relatively reasonably priced musclecar the Lx5.0 in notch/hatch versions. Yeah i know that the performance wasn't up to this level back then,but for a moddest amount of money you could have a quick vehicle. The brakes wasn't up to standards and the handling was a little lacking ,but S.V.O/Saleen/Kenny Brown/ etc had the remedy for those problems. The GT500 is probably the best mustang to date , but whoah this price is a little rough too get over!!!
Old 6/22/06, 07:56 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL NUTT
I can respect everyone's opinions on the GT500 , mine is a little biased because my generation always had a relatively reasonably priced musclecar the Lx5.0 in notch/hatch versions. Yeah i know that the performance wasn't up to this level back then,but for a moddest amount of money you could have a quick vehicle. The brakes wasn't up to standards and the handling was a little lacking ,but S.V.O/Saleen/Kenny Brown/ etc had the remedy for those problems. The GT500 is probably the best mustang to date , but whoah this price is a little rough too get over!!!
I shudder to think about how much aftermarket suspension parts aimed at improving the GT500's handling will cost.
Old 6/22/06, 09:04 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by max2000jp
What I mean by "bean counter" is that we were promised a bunch of awesome features; IRS, Twin Screw, and BMW M like tuning.
I think we all knew in our heart of hearts that Ford would quickly break this promise. Ford views the Mustang as the "everyman" sports car. Ford can't compete with the likes of Bimmer, because it's not the image that the public has of Ford. Ford's position in the world automotive hierarchy is one of a manufacturer of vehicles for working class stiffs. The Blue Oval is blue collar all the way, baby!

Personally, I don't believe that the beancounters ever had any intention of giving us a "Euro-contender" with the GT500, even if the engineers, at least at some point, did.

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Again, better watch out for the M5/M6, especially from a roll when you are cruising in your GT500.
True that. The M5 will squash the GT500 like a bug - and leave it thoroughly spanked in the corners, that's for sure. Carroll can trumpet the car all he wants, but it's not world class - not in the world of the 21st century, anyway. But for $40K - and NO ADMs - it's still a terrific car overall.

Now, with a few moderate modifications, my guess is the Shelby/M5 contest might turn out quite differently.
Old 6/23/06, 05:41 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
I shudder to think about how much aftermarket suspension parts aimed at improving the GT500's handling will cost.
All the reporting form all who have had a chance to test drive the GT500 have been positive. Unless the aim is professional competition and aside from the usual and required catback replacement, the GT500 will not need a single mod for the simple reason that most will never take the car to its limits, hence a waste of money as well.

Take performance as an example. With a CAI, catback and a tune, the GT500 would likely improve its performance by 8 to 10%. The question is, what's the point other than as a topic of conversation for the car shows?

There is plenty of driving fun and enjoyment once a car is beyond the 325 hp/torque range. The spurts of adrenaline are readily available yet civilized enough for comfort. We can criticize Ford and offer alternatives but the fact is they get it right, and they have.
Old 6/23/06, 09:03 AM

True that. The M5 will squash the GT500 like a bug - and leave it thoroughly spanked in the corners, that's for sure. Carroll can trumpet the car all he wants, but it's not world class - not in the world of the 21st century, anyway. But for $40K - and NO ADMs - it's still a terrific car overall.

Now, with a few moderate modifications, my guess is the Shelby/M5 contest might turn out quite differently.[/quote]

Lets see someone's dad in a M5 squash my 03 KB Cobra like a bug. This I will have to see, regardless of how many power buttons it has. It will need an additional 600HP button is my guess.

The published numbers I have seen do not support this statement about squashing the GT500 like a bug. I am willing to learn, however. Someone show me where to find an apples to apples comparison that bears this statement out.

Call it what you like, and criticise everyone who brought this car to market if you must. It seems like BMWs "World Class" $40,000.00 cars are not in this comparison for some reason...wonder why that is?
Old 6/25/06, 09:44 PM

Although its a shame it didnt get the IRS, i think its still an incredible car. For 40k I think it is totally worth the money. Visually, I cant think of a more appealing car on the road.
Old 6/26/06, 05:27 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by portside
Call it what you like, and criticise everyone who brought this car to market if you must. It seems like BMWs "World Class" $40,000.00 cars are not in this comparison for some reason...wonder why that is?
Good point. I see references throughout this thread to the BMW M5. Why? It is a nice car, but the MSRP for the base sedan is $81,200 (excluding a $650 destination charge). Let BMW sell it for the same MSRP as the GT500 and you might have a valid comparison.

BMW does not sell GT500 performance at Ford prices.
Old 6/26/06, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by portside

Lets see someone's dad in a M5 squash my 03 KB Cobra like a bug. This I will have to see, regardless of how many power buttons it has. It will need an additional 600HP button is my guess.

The published numbers I have seen do not support this statement about squashing the GT500 like a bug. I am willing to learn, however. Someone show me where to find an apples to apples comparison that bears this statement out.

The current C&D has the M6 and GT500 tested. The M6 trapped 121 vs. 112 for the GT500. Let's figure that the GT500 has a bit more in it and can trap 113.5ish. It still gets smoked by an M6.

Your KB Cobra will probably smoke a M5/M6, but you are still driving a Ford(nothing wrong with that). You don't get half of the features, technology, or content that the Bimmers have. BMW > Ford in regards to engineering.
Old 6/26/06, 05:44 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by bt4
Good point. I see references throughout this thread to the BMW M5. Why? It is a nice car, but the MSRP for the base sedan is $81,200 (excluding a $650 destination charge). Let BMW sell it for the same MSRP as the GT500 and you might have a valid comparison.

...But Ford dealers are trying to sell GT500's at BMW prices.
Old 6/27/06, 04:59 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
...But Ford dealers are trying to sell GT500's at BMW prices.
Maybe. Personally, I wouldn't pay over MSRP, but even with $10k ADM (greedy b*st*rds), that still puts the GT500 at $30,000 less than an M5.

$30,000 may not mean much if your name is Warren Buffet, or Bill Gates, but to me $30,000 sounds like a lot of money.

(Sigh) Champagne taste, beer money.
Old 6/27/06, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bt4

(Sigh) Champagne taste, beer money.
Solution, drink beer without the screw off top....it is the champagne of beers...except for Corona (bleh).
Old 6/29/06, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

I didn't read any replies yet, although I believe I caught an IRS reference. I am definitely an IRS advocate (put one in my 89 vert) but with the weight already pushing 2 tons, the 3-link certainly looks great. I voted for better performance and good value, not taking into consideration short-lived AMV's. Anyone who has driven an s197 for any length knows how far superior these cars are to the fox variants. We traded for an 03 Mach with 42(k) miles, no mods, adult female driven. I took it for a spin and had a Fred Flinstone moment. The insane power coupled with a far superior chassis, interior, suspension, etc. make this one a no-brainer...
Old 6/30/06, 12:24 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bt4
Let BMW sell it for the same MSRP as the GT500 and you might have a valid comparison.

And Ford doesn't build BMW refinement at ANY price. As Carroll Shelby said: "Anybody can build a high performance car for $100K." What he failed to point out was that anybody can build a performance car like the Shelby for $40K, too, but BMW caters to a higher end market, so why would they want to?
Old 6/30/06, 04:52 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
And Ford doesn't build BMW refinement at ANY price.
I guess that's true, if you dismiss the Ford GT, the Aston Martin DB9 and the Jaguar XKR.

Let me guess--you want BMW refinement, Lamborghini style, and Porsche performance at Ford prices.

Pass me some of that BC Bud you been smokin'.
Old 7/2/06, 02:55 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by bt4
I guess that's true, if you dismiss the Ford GT, the Aston Martin DB9 and the Jaguar XKR.

Let me guess--you want BMW refinement, Lamborghini style, and Porsche performance at Ford prices.

Pass me some of that BC Bud you been smokin'.
Wrong guess. I was merely pointing out the other side of a one-sided argument that too often gets beaten to death here.

And no, I don't consider the Aston Martin and Jaguar XKR to be Fords. If they were, they'd have Ford badges on them. I'm not talking about other companies that Ford has a controlling interest in, I'm talking about Ford indigenous product.
Old 7/8/06, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
And Ford doesn't build BMW refinement at ANY price. As Carroll Shelby said: "Anybody can build a high performance car for $100K." What he failed to point out was that anybody can build a performance car like the Shelby for $40K, too, but BMW caters to a higher end market, so why would they want to?
I agree that BMW caters to a higher end market. However, If anybody can build a performance car like the Shelby for $40,000, then why in the world has no one else done it? I am not sure the current or past products brought to market support this statement. To the best of my knowledge, the GT500 is the lowest priced 500HP car in the world.