Sold the Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/08, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold the Shelby

And it only had 98 miles on it! It's been a whirlwind day today. I ran across an '08 black ragtop with the Red Stripe package that I can order to my specs. So I called a friend of mine who is a wholesaler, and he got my money back for me on my Shelby. So even though it only has 98 miles on it, it's technically a used car, and it still brought MSRP. More than that actually, since he'll sell it to a Ford dealer who will mark it up and resell it.

The new car is scheduled to be built on Feb 25th, and I ordered it with no options. I'm pretty pumped about it, considering only about 300 of each color will be built.

Old 2/4/08, 04:59 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice.

Sincerely,
Jealous
Old 2/4/08, 05:06 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts

Are you absolutely, positively, decisively sure?

Old 2/4/08, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That must be a new record! I'm glad to hear you sold it for another Shelby. Congrats.
Old 2/4/08, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great too hear!
Old 2/4/08, 11:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't wait to see pics of your Red Stripe Vert, Jon. The '07 Red Stripe Coupe we had last summer was stunning.
Old 2/5/08, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow... lol
Old 2/6/08, 04:46 AM

It's perplexing considering the long wait most have to endure specially to locate one at MSRP. Was the addition of of red stripes and changing the upholstery on the seats an option you thought about?
Old 2/6/08, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, George, it goes like this. The car was supposed to be delivered directly to me in MO from GA. The weather in both GA and MO and long the way was clear at that time. Then the trucker changed his mind, and the car went from GA to FL to MS to MO, thru snow and salt and crap. It had scratches down the left quarter panel, which buffed out, and a dent in the right rocker panel, which can't be fixed without bondo and paint, and a deep scratch on the driver's door, which can't be fixed without paintwork. And for some reason, the trucker put 3 miles on it.

So to have paid this much money for a car that I intended to keep forever, that just wasn't working for me. Call me **** or whatever, but I didn't want to do paintwork on the car, and it was bugging the hell out of me whenever I saw that scratch and that dent.

So when the Red Stripe car came along (I'm a sucker for rarity) and I had the chance to get my money back on my car, I jumped. The RS car is being ordered to my specs, and will be drop-shipped to a local dealer for delivery.

My Daytona is one of 2000 built in that color, my Marauder is one of 417 in silver (most were black). I've had numerous cars in the past that had production runs in the 3 digits, so yeah, it was the rarity of the RS car more than the actual color combination that appealed to me, although I think the color combination is very striking.
Old 2/6/08, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by JonW
... So to have paid this much money for a car that I intended to keep forever, that just wasn't working for me...
It would not have worked for me either. I was not aware of those issues, that's why I was wondering. Unless there are other circumstance I am not aware of I would not have taken delivery and if I did I would have done the same thing you have.

I am under the impression you have ordered another GT500. If you have not you might like to check eBay which has a total of 75 with minor bidding or check inventories for the surrounding dealers. Most of those I know who have bought the verts have had no problem getting one at MSRP.
Old 2/6/08, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a black vert with the Red Stripe package on order.
Old 2/6/08, 01:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Jon,

I'm with you 100% on this one. That would have eaten at me, too. I can live with a scratch or ding that I put in it (I might cry about it for years, however), not one the trucker put in it.

I don't blame you at all.

I had the chance to buy 2007 Roush 427R #28 last year. I passed on it because I really wanted a GT500. I would loved to have owned a double digit car.
Old 2/6/08, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

Glad this worked out for you Jon.

You didn't add any options to the RS car?
Old 2/6/08, 10:46 PM
Cobra Member

Jon, didn't you get the first one about 9 Jan? Does your State have a 30 day remorse law? seems you'd be within that to have the deal unwound. Anyway you still did well.
Old 2/6/08, 10:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
daggone car haulers...heres a pic of the plain jane mustang gt I had waited what seemed like forever to get...this happened getting it off the truck...had to wait a few more months on identical twin...cant imagine the added frustration on a dinged up rare model...
Attached Thumbnails Sold the Shelby-bent.jpg  
Old 2/7/08, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

No, I didn't get any options on the RS car. I would never use navi, and in 20 years when I sell the car, it probably won't even work. And to me, that huge navi screen that I can't turn off is an annoyance. I never listen to the radio when driving, so I don't need Sirius or the Shaker 1000. Ambient lighting is a silly wasted of money. And I won't drive much at night, so I don't need HIDs. I'm not a big fan of the whiz-bang stuff. My Daytona was ordered with only 1 option package.

The thing about the trucker was that he was referred to me, and all we had was a verbal agreement. He basically said, I'll pick up the car and you can pay me when it gets there. I supposed I could have tried to sue him, but I came out of the deal even, so why go thru the aggravation.

I'm just happy that episode is over, I got to order the RS car my way, and it will be drop-shipped to a local dealer.
Old 2/7/08, 12:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

You didn't order the Prem. Interior Package either? Or is that standard on the RS cars?

I got that just to spruce up the interior a little and to get the alum pedals.
Old 2/7/08, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

PIP comes with the RS package.
Old 2/7/08, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

No, I didn't get any options on the RS car. I would never use navi, and in 20 years when I sell the car, it probably won't even work. And to me, that huge navi screen that I can't turn off is an annoyance. I never listen to the radio when driving, so I don't need Sirius or the Shaker 1000. Ambient lighting is a silly wasted of money. And I won't drive much at night, so I don't need HIDs. I'm not a big fan of the whiz-bang stuff. My Daytona was ordered with only 1 option package.

The thing about the trucker was that he was referred to me, and all we had was a verbal agreement. He basically said, I'll pick up the car and you can pay me when it gets there. I supposed I could have tried to sue him, but I came out of the deal even, so why go thru the aggravation.

I'm just happy that episode is over, I got to order the RS car my way, and it will be drop-shipped to a local dealer.
I understand on teh radio/Nav stuff.

When you drop ship like that I'm guessing Ford ships directly to the drop ship dealer from the factory rather than the buying dealing re-directing it?

If the latter I think I'd ask for enclosed shipping.
Old 2/7/08, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

PIP comes with the RS package.
That and HIDs were the main options I was thinking you might have ordered. Since the PIP is standard they made it easy.

Quick Reply: Sold the Shelby