Shelby GT500 vs. COBRA

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/06, 04:39 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Shelby GT500 vs. COBRA

I am interested in the top performance Mustang so the Shelby name is meaningless to me. I would leave that to those who cherish Shelby, status, AMVs, the collectors, and the disgusting Ford dealers. My main goal is to enjoy the car and the driving experience.

If Ford would give us the option of the GT500 endorsed by Shelby and the Cobra with a few cosmetic twigs to make the two models slightly different but with the same identical drivetrain, which would you pick?
Old 5/13/06, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put that way George, I would pick the Shelby.......I'm old enough to appreciate the early cars. (Owned a 68 Gt500 for 13 years). If nothing else the Shelby will retain a better long term value.
Old 5/13/06, 05:31 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would buy whichever one is lower priced.

IMHO people who believe that the GT-500 will be worth more because of the Shelby name are kidding themselves. The 2007 GT-500 is a vehicle that is completely developed by Ford and manufactured by Ford on the same assembly line that makes all other Mustangs. The "Shelby" name is stuck on it by the marketing department. Shelby had little (if anything) to do with the development of the GT-500.

It is nothing like the original GT-350s & GT-500s which were made by Shelby from partially assembled Mustangs. The reason why the original Shelbys were and are so valuable is because of Shelby Amerian's racing success at that time (mid 1960s). But that was 40 years ago and really means nothing in the automotive business today.

If you want to get right at it, the GT-500 / Shelby name is aimed squarely at affluent baby boomers who are looking for ways to recapture their youth as they slide into retirement.
Old 5/14/06, 03:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I am interested in the top performance Mustang so the Shelby name is meaningless to me. I would leave that to those who cherish Shelby, status, AMVs, the collectors, and the disgusting Ford dealers. My main goal is to enjoy the car and the driving experience.

If Ford would give us the option of the GT500 endorsed by Shelby and the Cobra with a few cosmetic twigs to make the two models slightly different but with the same identical drivetrain, which would you pick?
I'd take the name SVT COBRA over any of Shelby's trash anyday
Old 5/14/06, 05:45 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Fordracing200
I'd take the name SVT COBRA over any of Shelby's trash anyday
Stop mincing words. Tell us what you REALLY think.
Old 5/14/06, 08:06 PM
Cam Tease

Haha. Such candor. I agree with him though.
Old 5/14/06, 08:35 PM
GT Member

For me, it would depend on price and how the "cosmetic changes" looked before I would pick.

However, I would guess that the SVT Cobra would be cheaper, so it would probably win.
Old 5/14/06, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

the Shelby is my choice,,
people tend to complain alot about things that are not worth complaining about, they made the cobra a few years back its time for a Shelby, (time for a change). So guys give it a rest. the cobra will be back in the future so will the boss, the mach 1 etc... its all marketing,, but who cares, as long as the mustangs are good looking and perform well stop complaining

No offense guys but I had to be host,
Old 5/14/06, 08:57 PM
FR500 Member

1st, hes WAY too old to even get under a car
2nd, its gonna make the dealers tons of money because they r gonna be too rare for people like me to get my hands on it
3rd, im mad about that...only 7,000 the 1st year...soo they can charge like $60-70,000 for a mustang!?!?
Old 5/14/06, 09:00 PM
FR500 Member

wellllllll also, 500hp i wouldnt complain if i got one for a good price (NOT HAPPENING THO)
Old 5/14/06, 09:04 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
id go with an SVT. maybe just bec ive been around SVTs more often than shelbys in my life, or bec i think the "hype" around shelbys and the man who used to actually build such cars is bogus.

SVT Cobras were sleek and fast. they didnt shout out or advertise their performance, they just had it. thats what matters more i think.
Old 5/14/06, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
1st, hes WAY too old to even get under a car
2nd, its gonna make the dealers tons of money because they r gonna be too rare for people like me to get my hands on it
3rd, im mad about that...only 7,000 the 1st year...soo they can charge like $60-70,000 for a mustang!?!?

1 - have you seen him drive (He still has his touch, he can still drive a stick), who cares about him getting under a car.
2 - supply and demand it sucks but thats life
3 - there making 9,000 2007 Shelby GT500 Mustangs (from stangsunleashed.com)
Old 5/14/06, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
id go with an SVT. maybe just bec ive been around SVTs more often than shelbys in my life, or bec i think the "hype" around shelbys and the man who used to actually build such cars is bogus.

SVT Cobras were sleek and fast. they didnt shout out or advertise their performance, they just had it. thats what matters more i think.
Yup. I think a big part of it is what you grew up around. Most of us younger guys on the board have an appreciation for the shelbys but no extremely strong emotional connection or anything. As opposed to some of the older guys who might have owned them or seen them actually being driven on the streets back in the muscle car heyday.
Old 5/15/06, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree...at a price it is worth it. I am giving up my '04 Cobra with power lease....I made my deal and ordered the Torch Red Shelby Coupe today for $1,000 over invoice. Hope I made the right choice...the '04 has been an awesome car.
Old 5/15/06, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
DEFINITELY the Shelby. Yeah, it may just be a marketing ploy, but the name pinned to a real performance Mustang is still magic to those of us that have been around long enough to remember when the originals were still showing up at night-time street races. Those were the days!! At least this Shelby has the bite to back up the name. Now if you asked me if I would plunk down 10k (or whatever it ends up being) over a GT's price to buy the Hertz Shelby, the answer is a resounding "no". In my opinion that is a weak imitation of what the original Hertz Shelby is all about, it really IS just purely a marketing ploy.
Old 5/15/06, 02:00 PM

Ultimately, regardless of what name the marketing department slaps on a Stang's derierre, it's how good of a job the engineering and production departments do that will determine the car's success and long term value. While clever marketing can always stir up a short-term buzz, it's ultimately all about the product and not the label.
Old 5/15/06, 04:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmm, I suppose this has a lot to do with what you mean by cosmetic tweaks. IMO the GT500, besides being the top dog Mustang performance wise, is much better looking than the standard Mustang. (which is saying something since the Mustang is pretty hot in any guise) So regardless of what name was on which car I would pay a bit more money for the GT500's better looks assuming it's mechanical "twin" didn't get them.
Old 5/15/06, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

shelby hands down no doubts in engine power and looks in my opinion it tears the svt cobra to pieces but I've always thought anything shelby touched became gold. Considering that other then the corvette most of the best high powered american machines got help from him (original cobra, mustang, gt40, viper, gt, and now mustang again) and the long list of incredible concept cars he's helped put out I think my worship is well deserved!
Old 5/15/06, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

I have to go with Cobra. I have only known those cars and driven the '93 and '03 versions. I am very impressed with them and didn't really like Ford slapping a name like that on one of their cars. Sorry Shelby...
Old 5/15/06, 04:57 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by buck
shelby hands down no doubts in engine power and looks in my opinion it tears the svt cobra to pieces but I've always thought anything shelby touched became gold. Considering that other then the corvette most of the best high powered american machines got help from him (original cobra, mustang, gt40, viper, gt, and now mustang again) and the long list of incredible concept cars he's helped put out I think my worship is well deserved!
You don't understand the question.

He asked, given the exact same car,
which name plate would you want on the car, Shelby, or SVT Cobra?

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 vs. COBRA