Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary Package

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/06 | 10:01 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Shelby Automobiles will celebrate the 40th anniversary (1967-2007) of the Shelby GT500 Mustang with a limited edition upgrade component package. The new package will kick-off a new Shelby Modification Center at SAI’s Las Vegas headquarters. Through the leadership of legendary racecar driver and Cobra creator Carroll Shelby, the limited Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary packages will include distinct visual elements and performance upgrades. The Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary package will make its debut at the Ford Motor Company Booth at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas.

“The Shelby GT500 has always had a mean street presence with power to back it up,” said Carroll Shelby, Chairman of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. “We’ve added more performance and more in your face looks to the most powerful factory Mustang ever built.”

The 40th Anniversary Limited Edition packages will be installed at SAI’s new modification center. Customers will deliver their GT500’s to SAI’s World Headquarters where each vehicle will be customized with the anniversary package.

“Our Mustang business has expanded rapidly through the development and production of the Shelby GT-H and the upcoming Shelby GT,” said Amy Boylan, President of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. “The mod center will allow us to do special exclusive cars for a limited group of customers and allow for continued research and development for mainstream production programs.”

If looks could kill
The 40th Anniversary Limited Edition package includes a host of components to let others know that something special is prowling the streets. On the menacing outside components include carbon fiber lower front fascia splitter and mirror covers; aluminum hood grille inserts; deck lid SHELBY letter kit; sequential tail lamps; front and rear brake duct kits; Anniversary stripe package (convertible models); special optional 20” American Racing Shelby Razor wheels and various 40th Anniversary badging including side, grille and trunk badges.

Inside there is a consecutively numbered dash plaque, special 40th Anniversary Shelby door sill plates with consecutive number; floor mats; Shelby snake door handles; center dash mounted gauge cluster with three Carroll Shelby/Autometer carbon fiber gauges (boost, oil and fuel pressure); 40th Anniversary arm rest cover and for convertibles a light bar with solenoid activated light system.

The engine bay receives a consecutive number plate authenticating the package and installation from SAI and special billet aluminum caps and covers for power steering, radiator, brake master cylinder, windshield washer fluid bottle and oil dip stick.

Backing it up
With 500 horsepower out of the gate, the Shelby GT500 can run like no other pony that ever grazed a field. The 40th Anniversary Package ups the ante with additional power by utilizing the Shelby Signature Borla exhaust system. The cat-back system is designed to maximize power and give a nice robust “big-block” sound.

Getting the power to the ground is one thing. Being able to utilize what you want when going into the corners is another. One key element to the 40th Anniversary package is the new Shelby/Eibach suspension upgrade for GT500. This new coil over systems allows for adjustability for both straight line and road course tracks. The new spring/shock combination lowers the front a maximum of 0.8-inch and the rear 1.6-inches for a very aggressive appearance and lower center of gravity. In addition bigger anti-way bars are included for reduced body roll. The result is flat precise cornering without a harsh ride.

“We have designed the 40th Anniversary to honor the special legacy of the GT500 and provide a limited few a very special car,” said Boylan. “This limited edition package is only the first for the mod shop and the first upgrades from SAI for the GT500. There is much more to come.”

Available in the first quarter of 2007, the 40th Anniversary Limited Edition will be sold exclusively through Shelby Automobiles Las Vegas headquarters and a national dealer network. Interested buyers can contact Shelby Automobiles at (702) 942-7325 or visit the company's web site at www.shelbyautos.com for more info.
Old 10/30/06 | 10:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

cooool! can't wait to see more pics!
Old 10/30/06 | 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

yep, definitely looking good !
Old 10/31/06 | 05:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Very nice.

I can't see what other modifications will be coming out for the rest of the Mustang family as well.

Old 10/31/06 | 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Good thing you buy the car first and then take it to Shelby. I can't imagine what the dealer markup on the lot would be on one of these. Probably like 40K
Old 10/31/06 | 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Nothing on their website yet. I am excited! I think I'm going to make a call to Vegas today.
Old 10/31/06 | 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

too bad those wheels look terrible......but everything else sounds great
Old 10/31/06 | 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah not a huge fan of the wheels either. I'm also wondering where the rear brake duct kit hooks up, no side scoops.
Old 10/31/06 | 04:32 PM
FR500 Member

Nice move in the right direction. However, since you have to buy the car first, it might give dealers fresh ammo for AMV's. Also depends on the length of time the package is offered. Might create a "buy it before time runs out" mentality. If dealers can also order 40th Anniversary packages for the cars allocated to them, well, I'd rather not think about the possible AMV's for those...
Old 10/31/06 | 05:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

I will pass on it. The car speaks for itself as designed. I find the wheels to be too bling-bling and not a good match, although there is a good possibility they will be embraced along with the other mods by the die hard Shelby fans who wish to have Shelby associated with their cars in more than just the name.
Old 10/31/06 | 05:34 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Overall, I like the "idea", but I'm with the other guys on the wheels. Black? Yes. That style? NO! 20's?

And carbon fiber mirror covers? Come on. They have to be joking.
The side stripe design is the worst of all the changes though.

Borla Exhaust
Suspension upgrades
Brake ducts
Old 10/31/06 | 06:49 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05retro
Yeah not a huge fan of the wheels either. I'm also wondering where the rear brake duct kit hooks up, no side scoops.
Like derrrrr, man it hooks up to ummmmmm.....yeah you know the gas tank err sumth'n
Old 10/31/06 | 07:09 PM
Post *****

I dig it. Make it a coupe, get rid of the badging, stripes, and duck tail and call it a day . . . leave the black rims.
Old 10/31/06 | 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Nice to see those Razors in black! I wonder if shelby will offer the wheels seperately since I was planning on painting mine. American Racing says they don't offer them in black so Shelby probably paints them - probably where the "custom" in custom wheels comes in to play. Not a die hard shelby fan but I like the look of that car. Which is why I posted this photoshop job a while back. Nice to see the real deal though. Way to go SAC - 20's look so good on these cars - I don't know why so many are against them.

Old 10/31/06 | 08:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Deric
Nice to see those Razors in black! I wonder if shelby will offer the wheels seperately since I was planning on painting mine. American Racing says they don't offer them in black so Shelby probably paints them - probably where the "custom" in custom wheels comes in to play. Not a die hard shelby fan but I like the look of that car. Which is why I posted this photoshop job a while back. Nice to see the real deal though. Way to go SAC - 20's look so good on these cars - I don't know why so many are against them.

Dude, that things awesome!
Old 10/31/06 | 09:57 PM
Needs to be more Astony

what were they thinking with those aftermarket looking wheels? and 20" !?!
Old 11/1/06 | 12:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I like it, but it needs 6 speed auto.
Old 11/1/06 | 05:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ditto here on the wheels, what the he!! is this, "Pimp My Ride"?
Old 11/1/06 | 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
what were they thinking with those aftermarket looking wheels? and 20" !?!

I don't know, I think the wheels are dead sexy, 19-20" really seems to me to be the best looking wheel for the body style, anything else looks too small.
Old 11/1/06 | 06:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I like the wheels and love the car. With the SE, and now the anniversary package- the dealer surcharge will result in this "thing" costing about 70-80K. So everyone can look, comment, and drool, but that will be it... Very few will ever know what it's like to own one.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary Package