Question for GT500 owners

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/07, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for GT500 owners

I have a GT500 coming soon and wanted to start planning a few mods. Are you finding that the GT500 will benefit from a tune as far as improving the overall drivability - like my '05 GT and '07 GT/CS did? Does the GT500 have the throttle lag issue to the extent the GT's do?

Also, who's making tunes for these 5.4 engines? I have a message into Doug at BamaChips - but no response yet.

Anyone order/install the FRPP 600hp performance package? Does this package void the factory warranty?

Sorry for the 21 questions - appreciate the feedback
Old 5/4/07, 04:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Why don't you drive it for a while and then decide if you need mods, unless you are planning to compete at the track. In that case Steeda has plenty of mods for the GT500.

I find it to be the perfect Mustang even the exhaust note throaty yet pleasant without the drone, vibrations, or rattles that usually come the the aftermarket catbacks or axlebacks.
Old 5/4/07, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Why don't you drive it for a while and then decide if you need mods, unless you are planning to compete at the track. In that case Steeda has plenty of mods for the GT500.

I find it to be the perfect Mustang even the exhaust note throaty yet pleasant without the drone, vibrations, or rattles that usually come the the aftermarket catbacks or axlebacks.

Geo - makes sense - just doing some research and trying to "fill the void" while waiting on delivery....this waiting tends to make me

Still, do you notice the throttle lag that the regular GT has? As far as exhaust goes, I'm keeping my Supreme GTA's but want to drive the GT500 for a while first. I must say the GTA's are the perfect exhaust for my GT/CS (IMO) - a bit deeper/throatier - but no drone and pretty tame unless you're on it.
Old 5/4/07, 06:53 PM

I thought mine needed a little louder exhaust so I went with the FRPP cat backs. I have only test driven a few GT's and the GT500 has no throttle lag like the GT's did. Like 1 BULLITT says drive it for few then decide what you want to do. I just went to the track on Wednesday and have decided that I don't need to bump up the HP more then just a tune and CAI and maybe some 3.73. For me it's is a great car out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails Question for GT500 owners-dsc00818small.jpg  
Old 5/4/07, 07:19 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Still, do you notice the throttle lag that the regular GT has?
Trottle lag?

For anyone that has a rocky marriage and the wife happens to have a heart condition, this is the car you want to take her for a ride in.

Old 5/5/07, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Geo - LOL - I realize the GT500 has lot's of power - just didn't know if it has the same programmed "throttle delay by Ford" that the GT has. One of the best features of the aftemarket tunes is the elemination of the throttle hesitation/lag....really helps the overall drivability of the GT.

Thanks everyone for the feedbak, can't wait until she arrives....have cleaned out the garage and her stall is waiting
Old 5/5/07, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by xlch59
I thought mine needed a little louder exhaust so I went with the FRPP cat backs. I have only test driven a few GT's and the GT500 has no throttle lag like the GT's did. Like 1 BULLITT says drive it for few then decide what you want to do. I just went to the track on Wednesday and have decided that I don't need to bump up the HP more then just a tune and CAI and maybe some 3.73. For me it's is a great car out of the box.

xlch59 - good to hear about the absence of the throttle lag. As far as exhaust goes I have the Supreme GTA's axle backs (same as the FRPP's) that I will probably end up putting on the GT500...sound is good but not annoying and no drone and those 4" dual wall polished tips look great
Old 5/5/07, 12:39 PM
GT Member

I just got back from the Dyno Day at Brenspeed. They had a GT500 there that picked up 30 HP on just from the tune. After that they installed a CAI and a retune, but I didn't see the final numbers.

Short answer, YES you can pick up some good horsepower with just a tune on the GT500.
Old 5/6/07, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jaiasmit
I just got back from the Dyno Day at Brenspeed. They had a GT500 there that picked up 30 HP on just from the tune. After that they installed a CAI and a retune, but I didn't see the final numbers.

Short answer, YES you can pick up some good horsepower with just a tune on the GT500.
Jaime, that's a good hp increase for just a tune and no CAI, etc. IIRC, that's over double what the GT guys were getting with just a tune!
Old 5/6/07, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Evolution stage 1 with JLT CAI. The throttle positions are much "Closer" if that makes any sense. The car is MUCH more responsive and certianly more power. Dyno results(Not by me) show 50-70 RWP with this setup. Boost will come in faster, still allowing casual driving and complete driveability. A very good bang for the buck. I had 700 miles on the car when I installed, now have 1500 +.
Old 5/6/07, 01:41 PM
GT Member

Jaime, that's a good hp increase for just a tune and no CAI, etc. IIRC, that's over double what the GT guys were getting with just a tune!
Yah, I think that's a great increase for just a tune. I'll have to contact Brent to find out what they got after the CAI was installed.

I think this just goes to show how safely Ford has tuned the GT500 from the factory. There's a lot of power locked in there just waiting to come out.
Old 5/6/07, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jaiasmit
Yah, I think that's a great increase for just a tune. I'll have to contact Brent to find out what they got after the CAI was installed.

I think this just goes to show how safely Ford has tuned the GT500 from the factory. There's a lot of power locked in there just waiting to come out.

I'm really considering a tune for the increased drivability...and the extra hp is a nice bonus too
Old 5/6/07, 08:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bullittman
I have the Evolution stage 1 with JLT CAI. The throttle positions are much "Closer" if that makes any sense. The car is MUCH more responsive and certianly more power. Dyno results(Not by me) show 50-70 RWP with this setup. Boost will come in faster, still allowing casual driving and complete driveability. A very good bang for the buck. I had 700 miles on the car when I installed, now have 1500 +.

Ron, 50 to 70rwhp is a very nice increase in power for just a tune and CAI...that's approaching the FRPP 600hp range and you are still under warranty
Old 5/10/07, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron, 50 to 70rwhp is a very nice increase in power for just a tune and CAI...that's approaching the FRPP 600hp range and you are still under warranty
Many locals in Houston with the same setup acquiring the same gains. Averaging 505 to 515 at the wheels with JLT CAI and the EVO Stg. 3 X-CAL Tuning.

As far as the exhaust goes, the best sound I have heard so far is the FRPP Axleback in 2.5" with the Factory X-Pipe or, the 2.5" in the SLP with the Factory X-Pipe. Yet to hear a complete 3" system, other than a soundclip off the web.

When I get tired of the quiet car, I plan to run the full 3" Bassini system with the 4" tips. A couple of Champion racers in NMRA and FFW I know say they have heard it on some GT500s and say it is sweet; - with or without the cats.

In allowing the car to simply breathe better with the associated tuning, the GT500 is good for about 560 at the wheels and in being just under the Factory optimized Design of 650 bhp.
Old 5/10/07, 09:23 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xlch59
sorry to be off topic but...mind if i ask what you ran?
Old 5/10/07, 10:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bullittman
bullittman.....can you provide more details on the Evo tune and JLT II CAI combo? Is the Evo the tune or the tuner...i.e., can I load an Evo tune on my XCal II tuner? Also, what did your Evo Stage 1 with JLT set you back? PM me if you want - thanks
Old 5/10/07, 10:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stangette
Many locals in Houston with the same setup acquiring the same gains. Averaging 505 to 515 at the wheels with JLT CAI and the EVO Stg. 3 X-CAL Tuning.

As far as the exhaust goes, the best sound I have heard so far is the FRPP Axleback in 2.5" with the Factory X-Pipe or, the 2.5" in the SLP with the Factory X-Pipe. Yet to hear a complete 3" system, other than a soundclip off the web.

When I get tired of the quiet car, I plan to run the full 3" Bassini system with the 4" tips. A couple of Champion racers in NMRA and FFW I know say they have heard it on some GT500s and say it is sweet; - with or without the cats.

In allowing the car to simply breathe better with the associated tuning, the GT500 is good for about 560 at the wheels and in being just under the Factory optimized Design of 650 bhp.
Stangette - so if in stock trim the GT500 has 445rwhp - then the CAI/Tune combo is adding up to 70rwhp we should be in the 515rwhp range?

Stangette, good points and thanks for the information. Sounds like the tune/CAI combo adds close to the hp as in the "FRPP 600hp Power Pack" (70rwhp vs. 100rwhp) and the tune helps the overall response/drivability as well....plus with the CAI/Tune it's relative easy to revert back to stock for warranty work.

I wonder what the price differential is between the two systems?

I will probably be installing my Supreme GTA's (same as FRPP's) axlebacks soon after getting the Shelby.
Old 5/11/07, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stangette - so if in stock trim the GT500 has 445rwhp - then the CAI/Tune combo is adding up to 70rwhp we should be in the 515rwhp range?

Stangette, good points and thanks for the information. Sounds like the tune/CAI combo adds close to the hp as in the "FRPP 600hp Power Pack" (70rwhp vs. 100rwhp) and the tune helps the overall response/drivability as well....plus with the CAI/Tune it's relative easy to revert back to stock for warranty work.

I wonder what the price differential is between the two systems?

I will probably be installing my Supreme GTA's (same as FRPP's) axlebacks soon after getting the Shelby.

The common range for stock is 430 to 445 rwhp. So, if you consider the lower end of that with the lower end of the CAI and Evo Stg. III Tuning, you are expecting aproximately 500 rwhp. Some, I have seen SAE Dyno Sheets for at as much as 525; - with 505-515 rwhp being the most common.

Then, include the open axleback (17) and the offroad x-pipe in Bassini (12), and it should make aproximately 540-565 at the wheels. I have seen dyno sheets on some GT500s as high as 482 rwhp with nearly 2k miles on it though. Headers ; - not much gain unless they are LTs since the factory ones flow quite well.

I expect there to be a price difference between the FRPP and the Bassini/ X-cal/JLT combination since the factory OEM components normally cost more. Without the shipping and the install, the Bassini combination and JLT/X-CAL is around 1600.

Many locals have reported to me that the CAI / Tune helps in the response and driveability so much so, that they tell me they cannot lay into full throttle until well into third. Then, after aproximately 3200 rpm keep the pedal in and the power increase is noticeable.
Old 5/11/07, 09:12 PM

Knight
I only make it up to Infineon once or twice a year so my 60' times suck. I ran with stock tire pressure to get a real base line. this was my best time on a green track, it had rained that morning.
R/T .081
60' 2.36
330' 5.89
660' 8.70
1/4 13.13
MPH 110.38

I was hoping to make it into the 12s but just couldn't get it to hook off the line and spun 2nd pretty good. The car was a hit though only the second one there this year. Lots of "nice car" and people taking pic's. All and all it was a fun night.
Old 5/12/07, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

The Corsa's sound great on the GT500. Pricey but IMO the best. Nice and quiet cruising and mean when you get on it. I originally put Flowmasters on it but they droned.

Quick Reply: Question for GT500 owners