A possible Shelby Owner Buys a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/06, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A possible Shelby Owner Buys a Corvette

Well... I know this subject has been beaten to death here. But I thought I would share yet another story about the negative effects of Ford dealer's greed and poor attitude.

A friend of mine owned an '06 Mustang GT convertible. She loved the car but never really liked the way the Ford dealership treated her when it came to:

1. Buying the car

and

2. Servicing the car.

She had the car for about two months when it basically died on her. The engine went into failsafe and it had to be towed to the dealership. Where they proceeded to suggest that it was her fault that the car died.

Long story short they found some TSB about the computer or something that had to be reprogrammed... not her fault.

Needless to say she was NOT happy with that trip or experience. When she bought the car the guy tried to screw her on the deal saying that she was basically "lucky" to get a convertible GT and she should be glad she even got one.

Now this was LONG after these cars were on the lot... he just saw an older lady and I'm sure thought, "easy mark."

So to get to the point... she goes in the other day to simply ask about the Shelby. Wanted to get a brochure and just find out some info.

The salesman proceeds to tell her that she would have to pay at least 65k for the car and that she shouldn't even bother looking at any info unless she was prepared to pay that much AND put down a deposit.

She explained that she wasn't interested in talking price... she just wanted to see a brochure with some specs and wanted to know when it would be available to purchase.

He then repeated that unless she was willing to fork over the dough that it was basically a waste of his and her time.

Well... I don't think I HAVE to explain how incredibly rude and disrespectful this is. And I must say my experience with most Ford dealers are pretty much the same.

I had to drive almost 100 miles to get my car from a dealer that was fairly reputable... even though she did kind of shaft me on the loan... at least she was honest and upfront for the most part.

Anyway... so my friend leaves the Ford dealership. Drives over to the GM dealership. Tells the dealer that she may be interested in a new Vette. They treat her like gold. And actually APPRECIATE her business.

Guess what... she trades in the Mustang and buys a brand new C06 convertible.

Now this was a woman who wanted a Shelby... and was probably willing to pay above sticker (even though I suggested against it) maybe not to the tune of 65k but anyway... and bought a Corvette because the salesman was a moron and treated her like he was doing her a favor to even waste his time talking to her.

I have always... and still do... believed that one of the MAJOR reasons Ford is in a pickle with their market share is their dealership policies... or lack thereof.

I know a lot of people here think dealers can do whatever they want and no one should care. And frankly I could care less. I'm the type that I will shop around and find a decent dealer or I'll look elsewhere.

But I DO love the Mustang. I've owned a Mustang for the past 14 years and still own that one and a new one. And I would love to see Ford crack the whip on many of these dealerships so that they better represent Ford so that more people will continue to support a car that I love. But sadly after 14 years I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

And after a story like this... I think it's only getting worse. I hope that stories like this reach SOMEONE at Ford or at least dealers will hear or read stories like this and re-think their business practices.

I hope...
Old 6/29/06, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a shame, but it not the first time, and definitely wont be the last time that happens either. It makes no sense, especially considering how poorly the new car market is going for them.
By the way, did she get a C6 or Z06 vette?
Old 6/29/06, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I agree... I wish for their own sake they would THINK just a little bit about the long-term.

She got a red C6. She said she thought about the Z06 but test drove the C6 and it had plenty of giddyup for her.

I said, "Well yeah it's got 400 hp!"
Old 6/29/06, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

And you know, it takes no extra energy to be nice to someone. I always thought I'd have made a heck of a car salesman. Who knows, maybe some day...
Old 6/29/06, 02:14 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Imatk..glad to hear your friend got the service she was looking for. I think the majority of use just want to be treated fairly..I'm not even saying like we are gods..just a fair shake and respect. I'm glad you posted this..wa a good read. I'm sure you friend will be happy with the car Just have her make sure she gets the roof check (seriously there is a problem with them)
Old 6/29/06, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

I know right? I mean honestly... she's the kind of person that IF the Ford guy was nice to her she probably would have put a deposit on one... I don't know that she would have paid his 65k asking price though.

What problems have the vettes had for the roof Doug? I'll make sure and let her know.
Old 6/29/06, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Imatk
I know right? I mean honestly... she's the kind of person that IF the Ford guy was nice to her she probably would have put a deposit on one... I don't know that she would have paid his 65k asking price though.

What problems have the vettes had for the roof Doug? I'll make sure and let her know.
They have a problem with the glue that holds the roof:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=47941
Old 6/29/06, 03:23 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with her convertible though. It was just the removable targa roof panel that had glue problems.

That kind of poor attitude is way too prevalent all over these days. I've met some cool sales people, but also some serious losers.

I've thought about what it would be like to be a salesman, like Pitpup mentioned, but the bad part is you'd still have to work with some losers. I've also thought about running a dealership, how I'd do it, etc. But you'd still have to start out with the existing staff, and weed them our or break them in, and that wouldn't be easy.

I'm trying to give my salesman some hints for when I go in to purchase my car in a couple weeks, trying to get everything lined up ahead of time, so I don't have to sit there for 2 hours while they "get the paperwork together". I'm sure it'll still take a while, too. I'm going in next thursday to go over all that with him, even though the car won't be there yet, and work out as much of the details as I can ahead of time. I want the car as soon as it's ready, and no delays.

Last time I thought I had it all set up, I would just show up with the check, check the car out, sign a couple papers, and I'd be gone. Nope. 3 hours. They didn't want me spending too much time with the car, and didn't bother getting the paperwork set up ahead of time, or even while I was looking at the car. The sales manager even made me a very rude and a**hole-ish comment at one point. And while I was waiting for them to "put the paperwork together", the sales man (not the original guy I ordered from) was trying to sell my brother a car. He was just there to give me a ride, and check out the car once I bought it. Needless to say, my family doesnt do business with that dealership any more.

Anyway ... and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 6/29/06, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been to different dealers (Ford, Honda, Infiniti) and gotten pretty much a mixed bag when it comes to the salespeople. Some of them (1) Know their stuff about all the cars on the lot, (2) Treat you with respect and listen, and (3) Bend over backwards to get your business. Others are complete opposites, even at the same dealership. But I've never bought from anyone who doesn't treat me well.

I'm glad your friend did what she did. Now she needs to drive her new Vette 'vert to the Ford dealership, show it to the a$$wipe salesman she was dealing with, and say "Here's money out of your pocket. I hope you're happy." Then leave.
Old 6/29/06, 04:41 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Yeah I agree... I wish for their own sake they would THINK just a little bit about the long-term.

She got a red C6...
That's nice but that doesn't exempt the Chevy dealers. They were a bunch of illiterate snobs a few months back doing the same thing Ford dealers have been doing. The only difference is the market is now flooded with Vettes otherwise they would be singing the same exact tune. They have no choice but to attempt to be as pleasant and professional as their little minds allow.

A friend of mine went through a similar ordeal with a few Chevy dealers proceeded to tell each and everyone to stick it.
Old 6/29/06, 04:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Well... I know this subject has been beaten to death here. But I thought I would share yet another story about the negative effects of Ford dealer's greed and poor attitude.

A friend of mine owned an '06 Mustang GT convertible. She loved the car but never really liked the way the Ford dealership treated her when it came to:

1. Buying the car

and

2. Servicing the car.

She had the car for about two months when it basically died on her. The engine went into failsafe and it had to be towed to the dealership. Where they proceeded to suggest that it was her fault that the car died.

Long story short they found some TSB about the computer or something that had to be reprogrammed... not her fault.

Needless to say she was NOT happy with that trip or experience. When she bought the car the guy tried to screw her on the deal saying that she was basically "lucky" to get a convertible GT and she should be glad she even got one.

Now this was LONG after these cars were on the lot... he just saw an older lady and I'm sure thought, "easy mark."

So to get to the point... she goes in the other day to simply ask about the Shelby. Wanted to get a brochure and just find out some info.

The salesman proceeds to tell her that she would have to pay at least 65k for the car and that she shouldn't even bother looking at any info unless she was prepared to pay that much AND put down a deposit.

She explained that she wasn't interested in talking price... she just wanted to see a brochure with some specs and wanted to know when it would be available to purchase.

He then repeated that unless she was willing to fork over the dough that it was basically a waste of his and her time.

Well... I don't think I HAVE to explain how incredibly rude and disrespectful this is. And I must say my experience with most Ford dealers are pretty much the same.

I had to drive almost 100 miles to get my car from a dealer that was fairly reputable... even though she did kind of shaft me on the loan... at least she was honest and upfront for the most part.

Anyway... so my friend leaves the Ford dealership. Drives over to the GM dealership. Tells the dealer that she may be interested in a new Vette. They treat her like gold. And actually APPRECIATE her business.

Guess what... she trades in the Mustang and buys a brand new C06 convertible.

Now this was a woman who wanted a Shelby... and was probably willing to pay above sticker (even though I suggested against it) maybe not to the tune of 65k but anyway... and bought a Corvette because the salesman was a moron and treated her like he was doing her a favor to even waste his time talking to her.

I have always... and still do... believed that one of the MAJOR reasons Ford is in a pickle with their market share is their dealership policies... or lack thereof.

I know a lot of people here think dealers can do whatever they want and no one should care. And frankly I could care less. I'm the type that I will shop around and find a decent dealer or I'll look elsewhere.

But I DO love the Mustang. I've owned a Mustang for the past 14 years and still own that one and a new one. And I would love to see Ford crack the whip on many of these dealerships so that they better represent Ford so that more people will continue to support a car that I love. But sadly after 14 years I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

And after a story like this... I think it's only getting worse. I hope that stories like this reach SOMEONE at Ford or at least dealers will hear or read stories like this and re-think their business practices.

I hope...

ummmm last time i checked, isnt GM a whole lot closer to bankruptcy than ford?

no matter how horrible a ford salesman is... the GM car is no where near the quality of product. and they are a total pain to work on.

the only exception is the pontiac GTO but then again it is about as much an american GM as a jaguar is an american ford..... so thats the only car i would look twice at except a z06, because they are way too awesome. again not really a gm piece of garbage.
Old 6/29/06, 04:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh my bad I missed that it was a vert..tell her we hope she has a great time with her new ride
Old 6/29/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by burningman
Oh my bad I missed that it was a vert..tell her we hope she has a great time with her new ride
I missed it too. Otherwise I wouldn't have responded with the thread about the roof recall!
Old 6/29/06, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah she had to have a vert... I would have gone with the coupe but that's me

And as I wrote, I've only owned a Ford for the last 14 years including now so I can't speak of my experience with any other dealers because I simply haven't had any.

But yeah Steve that's a good idea hehe I'll pass that along to her

And look I'm sure someone could comment on a salesman at probably any dealership with any brand and talk about how terrible it was etc.

But should that matter? Should it matter that GM, BMW, Audi, etc. etc. may or may not have good or bad dealerships / salesman?

I thought the incident was pertinent to the recent discussions about many Ford dealers and their horrible attitude concerning the Shelby. And I thought it unfortunate that Ford lost not only a sale but a future customer.

IMHO it really shouldn't matter to Ford what anyone at GM is doing or has done in the past or elsewhere for that matter. They should be doing it right and not treating people badly. And when a dealer at a Ford dealership treats someone like that... Ford is doing it. They are a representative of the company.

And as for who is closer to bankruptcy... does that really matter either?

Should Ford take the attitude that, "Well GM is closer to bankruptcy than we are so we can afford to treat people badly. At least until we get into more trouble THEN we'll worry about it."??

As for which car is better or worse... you know you could talk about that until you're blue in the face and there are MANY discussions on that subject. That's not why I posted the incident.
Old 6/29/06, 06:00 PM
FR500 Member

Would've done the same thing too - if I had that kind of money available. LOL. That kind of treatment is inexcusable. The resentment generated against Ford will be around a lot longer than that salesman, no doubt. Maybe that guy will get his soon. I'm sure seeing that salesman's facial expression as your friend drives by in the 'Vette will be icing on the cake.
Old 6/29/06, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Salesman come and go at dealers everyday.Just because the salesmans a turd doesnt mean it extends to the dealer itself and she cant talk to someone else.
Manager,Owner ect.
Sucks she was treated like that.Hope she enjoys here new Vette.
Old 6/29/06, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I wish I had that kind of dough to drop on a vehicle too hehe

Ah well... at least she says I can ride in it
Old 6/29/06, 10:27 PM
Cobra Member

Idiot salespeople are not a Ford-exclusive commodity. This story is a perfect example of how to mishandle a prospective buyer, whether they are willing to pay AMV or will buy one when the newness wears off.
Old 6/30/06, 01:07 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hi5.0
That kind of treatment is inexcusable. The resentment generated against Ford will be around a lot longer than that salesman, no doubt.
You just summed up the whole crux of the problem right there.

And I don't buy this BS about Ford not setting prices or dictating them to dealerships. If "corporate" doesn't/can't heavily influence what dealerships charge, then how do you explain "Family Pricing"? "Corporate" offers that, not dealers.

The point being, that if Ford really wants to survive, they should get their dealerships and sales people onto a short leash.
Old 6/30/06, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
And I don't buy this BS about Ford not setting prices or dictating them to dealerships. If "corporate" doesn't/can't heavily influence what dealerships charge, then how do you explain "Family Pricing"? "Corporate" offers that, not dealers.
If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), dealers aren't required by Ford to participate in special sales events like "Family Pricing". They can opt out if they choose to do so.

Quick Reply: A possible Shelby Owner Buys a Corvette