ping Brad.....is SVT dead?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/06, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from a orlando sentinel auto writer:

Quietly, Ford Motor Co. has been dismantling SVT -- the Special Vehicle Team -- and sources inside the company suggest that as of April 1, SVT, as we've known it since 1992, will cease to exist.

SVT has had no dedicated products since 2004. A high-performance version of the Sport Trac, called the Adrenalin, was shown at the New York Auto Show in March 2005. At a preview for journalists, SVT director Hau Thai-Tang said that the Adrenalin "is going to turn the performance-vehicle market upside down" when it goes on sale as a 2007 model. Then, last month, the Adrenalin was canceled as part of Ford's "Way Forward" restructuring campaign. The Ford GT supercar, which was developed largely by SVT engineers but was not called an SVT model, will end production later this year.

A new Shelby Cobra GT 500 Mustang is due later this year as a 2007 model. But it will be offered to all 3,900 Ford dealers, instead of SVT's network of roughly 600 dealers.

SVT was founded in 1991 by Robert Rewey, Ford's vice president for marketing and sales, and Neil Ressler, Ford's chief technical officer. The idea was that SVT would consist of a small group of engineers, designers and marketing professionals who would work inside Ford to build and sell high-performance versions of existing products. SVT also set up a separate dealer network, signing up Ford dealers that had an interest in selling performance products.

In 1992, the first two SVT products were launched: The 1993 F-150 Lightning pickup, and the 1993 Mustang Cobra. In 1997, the SVT Contour was introduced, and in 1999, the second-generation Lightning went on sale. In late 2001, the '02 SVT Focus went on sale. By 2004, when production of the Lightning, Mustang Cobra and SVT Focus ended, the company had sold about 145,000 SVT products.

It's likely that Ford will continue to produce special-edition models of several vehicles, but they will not be sold through SVT channels.

Is it true Brad????????
Old 3/3/06, 05:34 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Link to similar topic
Old 3/3/06, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the link.I would have never seen it there.Glad its not true.
Old 3/4/06, 12:26 AM
GT Member

That's cool,..and I hope that If Ford gets rid of svt,..then they should go to Shelby Automobiles Inc.,and let Carroll and his elite crew to start building any and all high performance vehicles for Ford!! Heck,that'll be a 2 steps forward,from svt..as Carroll is no joke,..as he wants light cars with lots of hp and torque,..and ultra cool looks,..then they'll be really Shelby's,and a very high collectable car in limited numbers!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 02:41 AM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

That'd be real cool. Shelby could even let West Coast Customs do their Pimp My Ride design to generate as much enthusiasm as they have with their Mustang GT riced out version.

But hey, what do I know? You've probably already firgured out the price such tuner and their "elite crew" would charge. Does Saleen or Roush ring any bells? How many of us do you think could afford a $60K auto loan or would even want to? Yup, they'd surely be produced in limited numbers and be as collectable as other tuner cars.
Old 3/4/06, 08:45 AM
Cam Tease

You coulda been a little nicer about it...

Oh wait, I terrorize MSP mercilessly. Nevermind.
Old 3/4/06, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

With the life this rumour has, I'm starting to believe there's something behind it. It's been recurring for at least a year now.
Old 3/4/06, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang22 @ March 4, 2006, 2:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's cool,..and I hope that If Ford gets rid of svt,..then they should go to Shelby Automobiles Inc.,and let Carroll and his elite crew to start building any and all high performance vehicles for Ford!! Heck,that'll be a 2 steps forward,from svt..as Carroll is no joke,..as he wants light cars with lots of hp and torque,..and ultra cool looks,..then they'll be really Shelby's,and a very high collectable car in limited numbers!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
...or SSV (Saleen). They already do most of the Ford GT supercar assembly.
Old 3/4/06, 11:12 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1 BULLITT @ March 4, 2006, 6:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

That'd be real cool. Shelby could even let West Coast Customs do their Pimp My Ride design to generate as much enthusiasm as they have with their Mustang GT riced out version.

But hey, what do I know? You've probably already firgured out the price such tuner and their "elite crew" would charge. Does Saleen or Roush ring any bells? How many of us do you think could afford a $60K auto loan or would even want to? Yup, they'd surely be produced in limited numbers and be as collectable as other tuner cars.
[/b][/quote]Good question! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Hey,I really don't think and or want a pimped out ricer mustang either, and I believe Shelby would hold true to the Ford's heritage if he does make them" for Ford". West Coast Customs pimped the rides not Carroll,even though they're marketing for that crowd on a seperate limited project right now with the cs-6 and cs-8,carroll's a businessman,you can figure that out though,right?! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] ! And I would expect if there was a chance to be "the Main" affiliation through Ford(for their high performance program),the price would be comencerate with svt prices(not like saleen,etc.)!... But I Do know, a Real Shelby influenece high performanced mustang made with Ford(not west coast customs) will rock your world and be worth a whole lot more and collectible than any boring svt stang,ever made(including saleen or Roush)Their mustangs don't sell worth squat at the auction or open market,or even collectable for that matter, compared to Real Shelby influenced high performance mustangs! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnotherMustangMan @ March 4, 2006, 12:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You coulda been a little nicer about it...

Oh wait, I terrorize MSP mercilessly. Nevermind.
[/b][/quote]
It really don't bother me that "a said person trys" to do "terrorize",...because of the fact ,that " certain person", as you say "terrorize" me, it just shows that person is lacking common sense and knowledge to even come close,with his foolish comments! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 3/4/06, 01:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Will the Shelby be a one or two year car? With SVT being phased out I wonder. I am also concerned about the availability of parts.
FMC has scored three big successes in the last ten years. Explorer, F150 and the 05 Mustang. The Explore is being phased out. The F150 is loosing ground to imports. The other cars they introduced are not flying out of the show rooms and some may be dropped next year.
Weigh in with you thoughts on the Shelby future.
Old 3/4/06, 06:55 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mongoose @ March 4, 2006, 5:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Will the Shelby be a one or two year car? With SVT being phased out I wonder. I am also concerned about the availability of parts.
FMC has scored three big successes in the last ten years. Explorer, F150 and the 05 Mustang. The Explore is being phased out. The F150 is loosing ground to imports. The other cars they introduced are not flying out of the show rooms and some may be dropped next year.
Weigh in with you thoughts on the Shelby future.
[/b][/quote]
Rumors have it that it'll be a 2 yr. run,..and any information beyond that 2 years,we are still waiting to hear any offical information!
Old 3/4/06, 08:39 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Orlando Sentinel is a rag of the worst kind, since I am originally from the area I feel uniquely "privileged" to speak on the matter. Nothing true comes out of Florida, look at the false election results to prove it.
Old 3/4/06, 09:22 PM
KBE
V6 Member

from the Source, "SVT is fine. . . SVT isn't going anywhere." I'm wondering if his mind has changed.
Old 3/6/06, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeterPienaar @ March 4, 2006, 11:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
With the life this rumour has, I'm starting to believe there's something behind it. It's been recurring for at least a year now.
[/b][/quote]

My money is on the side that the rumor has more teeth than most are letting on. I am willing to bet that 6 months to a year from now there will be no more SVT. I didn't say no more Ford performace vehicles, just no more SVT.

Being the owner of 2 SVTs, it just isnt the same as it was this time last year. I'm talking overall support, track events, etc. The writing is on the wall .... no one will admit it.
Old 3/6/06, 06:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolf @ March 4, 2006, 10:42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The Orlando Sentinel is a rag of the worst kind, since I am originally from the area I feel uniquely "privileged" to speak on the matter. Nothing true comes out of Florida, look at the false election results to prove it.
[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

You seem to have forgotten about Sen. Gary Hart, Crowned President To Be and the dare he gave the Miami Herald...

FINAL SCORE: Miami Herald 1, Sen. Gary Hart 0.

Ooooops!!!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/7/06, 04:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

This rumor is starting to look like the ugly truth.
Old 3/7/06, 04:30 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

The article was not written by the Sentinal, they just purchased it and ran it .

Here is the original article:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Colum...rticleId=109512

No matter what Brad has been told, the future of SVT looks pretty grim. A lot of the people here seem to be in denial as to what has been going on with SVT, or should I say what has NOT been going on at SVT.
Old 3/7/06, 04:38 PM

Now we can all appreciate how the Camaro guys felt and what they went through. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Those snobs must be laughing their butts off. It sures tastes a lot better going down than coming up,
doesn't it? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puke.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/7/06, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

The first time this rumor came up I called them. The guy that answered was not very positive. I asked him "Is SVT done" his response was "Yes and No, I really can't talk about it"

I see this as a serious detractant to the car. Unfortunately most of the people buying this car won't really know what they are missing. I just hope that some form of upgraded customer support is retained.
Old 3/7/06, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang22 @ March 4, 2006, 1:29 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Yes! that way you can pay way to much just for a name! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ping Brad.....is SVT dead?