My Black Shelby experience...

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/06, 09:05 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
The conservative tune is the trade-off to the warranty offered on the car.

Still not many supercharged cars with 400+HP WITH a warranty.
Also somewhat embarassing to have a supercharged car that still has throttle lag.....

(not just Roush though - Saleen stock tune as well....)
Old 12/1/06, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The throttle lag is not so much the tune of the cars, so to speak, as it is the stupid "drive by wire" system.
Old 12/2/06, 06:56 AM
Big Falken Tires

Again, back to my point - you are paying a ton of extra cash for a supercharger (and in the way of the Roush stage 3s, a ton of extra cash for the netire package), and you still get an 'okay' tune with it.

That lag can easily be taken out.

And plus people have mentioned the cars not running to their full potential with the stock tune - Mustangs and Fast Fords did their stage 3 review and talked about the dodginess of the tune when running the road course with the vehicle....

After the 'break-in' period where the SC comes to full activation on the GT500, you don't have to deal with any of that.
Old 12/2/06, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Alright I found this on another forum maybe this will solve the dispute, or maybe its some gas for the FIRE! CHEERS!

Hi.
Any of you Guys familiar with the BBC "Top Gear" program? If so you'll know Jeremy Clarkson, one of the presenters.
Every year Clarkson releases a DVD [in time for Christmas naturally] in which he drives some great cars, some bad cars and generally has fun. This year his DVD is called "The Good the Bad & the Ugly".
Clarkson has NO time for US cars and this DVD is essentially a USA-v-Europe type of deal.

He has a section dedicated to the Mustang which was filmed on a track in Arizona

He drives a new convertible GT, the 68 Bullit car, a convertible GT500 Shelby and a Roush-3.

Results, in the order they were driven.

GT –It said it was sloppy, floated along like a boat and under-steered horrendously. He hated it.

Bullit – Brakes were rubbish (all drums), under-steered, steering totally without feel. BUT, he loved it, he fell for the whole package, the theatre, the noise. Who wouldn’t love it…..

GT500 475hp– Engine nice and powerful but thought that the steering, suspension and brakes were woefully lacking. Under-steered badly and would wallow round corners with the under damped frame pitching up and down like a jet ski in choppy water. He did NOT like it at all.

Roush -3 415hp – Less power but MUCH faster on the track/road than the GT500 due to the massively improved suspension and brakes. He absolutely LOVED it and couldn’t get enough.

When you know Clarkson you have to respect his opinion on fast cars, he’s driven them all. Yes, he can be biased (he don’t like the US) but he’s driven EVERYTHING. When he sits in a car and smiles, saying he thinks it's fabulous, it’s because it truly is. Therefore, the Roush IS fabulous !

It’s a truly awesome piece of video for Mustang nuts everywhere (unless you own a stock GT or GT500 LOL )

Just a shame he didn’t get his hands on a Saleen as well, I'd love to see the Roush up against an SCE

Old 12/2/06, 10:17 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by NiteHawk422
When you know Clarkson you have to respect his opinion on fast cars, he’s driven them all. Yes, he can be biased (he don’t like the US) but he’s driven EVERYTHING. When he sits in a car and smiles, saying he thinks it's fabulous, it’s because it truly is. Therefore, the Roush IS fabulous !
And for the price of a CORVETTE, it d**m well BETTER be fabulous.
Old 12/4/06, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roush Stage 3.

Leather looks cheap? Lets see about that, it's real leather unlike the standard GT and Shelby which uses simulated leather/vinyl.

Carbon Fiber: Meh? Not my first choice but far from Bling.

Brakes: Roush 14" 4- piston w/ 2 piece slotted rotors. Sourced from StopTech.

Exhaust: Sourced from Borla.

As far as it being "maxed out" you might wnat to check out the Roush Drag Pack option list.

Oh, and Roush has a blower for the "Shelby" to up it's power, question is why couldn't Shelby do it?

And finally lets discuss "Shelby". The GT500 is a SVT built vehicle rolling off the same lines as every other Mustang. Much like 1969-70 when they were only Shelby in name.

Looks like history HAS repeated itself.

The GT-H and the upcoming Shelby GT are more "Shelby" than the GT500.

As far as the banks are concerned you might want to have a look at www.nadaguides.com and search for Roush Performance.
The intent was for Roush to manufacture the Blower upgrade for the GT500 and offer Warrenty and non- Warrenty options as far as the output goes.

Roush designed the crank in the GT500 as well as working with Ford and SVT on the other parts of the engine.
Old 12/4/06, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or in my case, listening to my friends use a great amount of foul language when the blower kicks in and they get thrown into the seat.

I do not mean to come across as if I am trashing they Shelby as it is not my intent.
I have driven many Stage 3 Roushes at my Shop - 06s and 07s - and i can tell you the RoushCharger kicks in with a force that demands attention. Shelby's take a bit more getting on it to get the S/C on. But then, they haul like a freight train.

As CrazyHorse mentioned, it all comes down to preference. I own both cars and i must say, i like the Roush for all the time streeting and the GT500 on occaision for street rodding and showing. Each car has their own merits.
Old 12/4/06, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT

Well... there's been no arguments or name calling for almost two month around this joint. So, I thought help out.

I've never had a problem giving credit where credit is due. Subletting his name plate, planting emblems, and demanding size 285 rear tires does not entitle Carroll Shelby to recognition he does not deserve.

Mr. Shelby can have anything he wants in this world with the exception of the opportunity to autograph my car. He can even offer me money and I would politely decline and suggest a more suitable location for him to store it.

BTW, my personalized tag is due any day and will be paying tribute to SVT.

SVT has put their fair share into the Effort on the Shelby and deserves due Credit. I have pride in showing the SVT Sill Plates and Centercaps on mine that others say i should change - no way!

The few SVT engineers and others i have met have been quite knowledgeable, helpful and professional.
Old 12/5/06, 05:58 PM
Closet American

Alright I found this on another forum maybe this will solve the dispute, or maybe its some gas for the FIRE! CHEERS!

Hi.
Any of you Guys familiar with the BBC "Top Gear" program? If so you'll know Jeremy Clarkson, one of the presenters.
Every year Clarkson releases a DVD [in time for Christmas naturally] in which he drives some great cars, some bad cars and generally has fun. This year his DVD is called "The Good the Bad & the Ugly".
Clarkson has NO time for US cars and this DVD is essentially a USA-v-Europe type of deal.

He has a section dedicated to the Mustang which was filmed on a track in Arizona

He drives a new convertible GT, the 68 Bullit car, a convertible GT500 Shelby and a Roush-3.

Results, in the order they were driven.

GT –It said it was sloppy, floated along like a boat and under-steered horrendously. He hated it.

Bullit – Brakes were rubbish (all drums), under-steered, steering totally without feel. BUT, he loved it, he fell for the whole package, the theatre, the noise. Who wouldn’t love it…..

GT500 475hp– Engine nice and powerful but thought that the steering, suspension and brakes were woefully lacking. Under-steered badly and would wallow round corners with the under damped frame pitching up and down like a jet ski in choppy water. He did NOT like it at all.

Roush -3 415hp – Less power but MUCH faster on the track/road than the GT500 due to the massively improved suspension and brakes. He absolutely LOVED it and couldn’t get enough.

It’s a truly awesome piece of video for Mustang nuts everywhere (unless you own a stock GT or GT500 LOL )

Just a shame he didn’t get his hands on a Saleen as well, I'd love to see the Roush up against an SCE

Jeremy Clarkson is a ******.

But here's the trailer for The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, if anyone is interested.

And if you're REALLY interested, the torrent for The Good, the Bad & the Ugly is available here, not that any of us would EVER resort to downloading anything illicitly.

Old 12/10/06, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Hate to say it but you're going to lose your butt if you ever buy a Roush. No dealer or lending institution goes off of NADA book especially in the western U.S. Roush's book as regular mustang gt's out here and your lucky to get low kelly blue book as a value at trade in. We took one of the very first '05 Stage 2 Roush mustangs in last week. Had 8,000 miles on it plus custom wheels, the car was perfect! The guy needed to sell it and got $22,000 for it! Most lending institutions only lend up to 130% of KBB and they dont recognize Roush/Saleen/Foose packages. The only lender that does that I know of is Ford Motor Credit.
Old 12/10/06, 12:55 PM
GT Member

CGOESCHEL, I am not sure who gave you that info, but I think they are pulling your Johnson pretty hard. The owner would be an idiot not to refer the dealer to NADA or call KBB for specialty quote. As in most cases the dealer would know this information and would attempt to offer a Mustang GT value to the customer only so they could sell the car for more on the turn round. I think most owners are aware of the tactics and you can get free quotes from collector car apraisers on these types of vehicles because of the limited production numbers.
Old 12/11/06, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

CGOESCHEL, I am not sure who gave you that info, but I think they are pulling your Johnson pretty hard. The owner would be an idiot not to refer the dealer to NADA or call KBB for specialty quote. As in most cases the dealer would know this information and would attempt to offer a Mustang GT value to the customer only so they could sell the car for more on the turn round. I think most owners are aware of the tactics and you can get free quotes from collector car apraisers on these types of vehicles because of the limited production numbers.
Roush is currently in progress to getting their valuations listed in KBB. Interesting, to have a 2005 Stage 2 Roush as a trade in at the Reference Dealer;- since there had been only 25 serialized Roushes made in Stage 2 for that year model. Possible, but i would be cautious to acquire the Roush Serial #, the Roush Build Certificate and then complete an authentication process.

Roushes generally value at the GT for Factory build and then the Roush Package is valued seperately and later added to the GT Value to determine a final vehicle DTIV. This is how it is done in the southern States. Also, if there are customizations done to the vehicle by the Dealership, especially prior to delivery, those are more often than not factored into the value as well. Demand here in TX is high for Serialized Mustangs and therefore may account in part for the disparity in valuations between here and the West.