My Black Shelby experience...

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/06, 08:03 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Black Shelby experience...

Well- I have been in the market for a Shelby or Roush 427. I have a friend at a dealership and he said that there were 3 other people in line ahead of me for any shelbys that come in, but hey you never know - dont put any money down - I will just call you.

So he called about a month ago and said a White one was available - for $10k over. I said no way - $5k over is all I can do - but that is it.. okay let me see.....Well they ended up selling for 10k over to a dealership down the road. Oh well..

Okay - the Black one comes in.... Love it - duh.. A Dr. was first in line and said YES etc.. put more money on it. Then he cancels saying his account says its a bad investment.. YA THINK - a car a bad investment - that is a new one... so I get a phone call.... The Black is yours for $12k over... I said NO WAY.. $5k over is all I can do....by the time I got down there they sold it to the dealership down the road for $14k over!!!! How can I compete to get a car when I am going against a dealership!!!

I guess I am just not suppose to own a Shelby!! But hey - I still love how the Roush 427 looks and I will be happy with it!

Mark
Old 11/30/06, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Paying a dealer addendum is a bonehead move.

It is WELL KNOWN that the Shelby is going to be built for at least 3 years with 8 to 9000 cars per year. So it's not exactly limited production, contrary to what some folks consider "limited production".

The Shelby is a Mustang GT with minor exterior upgrades and a BIG motor.

But for $46000- $48000 sticker, before ADM you would think you would get a little bit more, especially the interior (rather plain jane if you ask me)

From a performance standpoint, A Roush 427R or a Stage 3 should hang with the Shelby without a problem. Keep in mind that the Roush cars have a better suspension than Shelby, better brakes, better exhaust, and also WEIGH A WHOLE LOT LESS.

Oh yeah, the Roush cars are limited in numbers...

see www.fnsweet.com and behold all things Roush
Old 11/30/06, 11:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the roush cars, but, for the money, the Shelby is a better deal. I seriously considered a 427R as an alternative to the Shelby. When all was said and done, the Roush was just that, an alternative. IF the Shelby does not work out, I'll buy the Roush. Otherwise, it is Shelby all the way.

The biggest thing is the Roush is mostly maxed out with Bolt-ons from the factory. The Shelby can take a lot more bolt-ons and produce a lot more power.

The Roush interior looks cheap. The leather is poorly fitted to the seats. If you opt out of the leather seats, you get the standard GT interior. The carbon fiber dash looks hideous. Bling.

the brakes? Shelby has 14", 4 piston Brembos. I don't see the Roush as better.

Exhaust? The Shelby has an X-pipe and 3 inch mandrel bent pipes.

You also get bigger motor, better heads, better (6spd) tranny, better (dual disc) clutch, bigger supercharger (M122 vs M90) abd better short term resale value. The Roush cars are valued as Mustang GTs by the banks and the trade-in value is reflected as such.

Long term value is yet to be determined. I'll give you the fact that they are much more limited. I had a shot at 427R #8. Still kicking myself for not jumping on it. Somebody else bought it before I did.

Ultimix, just stand your ground and wait it out. MSRP deals will be coming. I just made mine 3 days ago. Granted, it was for an '08 car, but, I'll wait another 6 months to avoid paying an extra 10 or 15 grand for a car. If you are willing to pay 5k over, start calling. You will find someone who has had it for a week or 2 and ready to move it for 5 over.
Old 11/30/06, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Roush Stage 3.

Leather looks cheap? Lets see about that, it's real leather unlike the standard GT and Shelby which uses simulated leather/vinyl.

Carbon Fiber: Meh? Not my first choice but far from Bling.

Brakes: Roush 14" 4- piston w/ 2 piece slotted rotors. Sourced from StopTech.

Exhaust: Sourced from Borla.

As far as it being "maxed out" you might wnat to check out the Roush Drag Pack option list.

Oh, and Roush has a blower for the "Shelby" to up it's power, question is why couldn't Shelby do it?

And finally lets discuss "Shelby". The GT500 is a SVT built vehicle rolling off the same lines as every other Mustang. Much like 1969-70 when they were only Shelby in name.

Looks like history HAS repeated itself.

The GT-H and the upcoming Shelby GT are more "Shelby" than the GT500.

As far as the banks are concerned you might want to have a look at www.nadaguides.com and search for Roush Performance.
Old 11/30/06, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
Roush Stage 3.

Leather looks cheap? Lets see about that, it's real leather unlike the standard GT and Shelby which uses simulated leather/vinyl.

Carbon Fiber: Meh? Not my first choice but far from Bling.

Brakes: Roush 14" 4- piston w/ 2 piece slotted rotors. Sourced from StopTech.

Exhaust: Sourced from Borla.

As far as it being "maxed out" you might wnat to check out the Roush Drag Pack option list.

Oh, and Roush has a blower for the "Shelby" to up it's power, question is why couldn't Shelby do it?

And finally lets discuss "Shelby". The GT500 is a SVT built vehicle rolling off the same lines as every other Mustang. Much like 1969-70 when they were only Shelby in name.

Looks like history HAS repeated itself.

The GT-H and the upcoming Shelby GT are more "Shelby" than the GT500.

As far as the banks are concerned you might want to have a look at www.nadaguides.com and search for Roush Performance.
maybe your leather fits OK, but, the 3 or 4 that I have looked at don't fit right on the seatbacks.

still say bling.

sounds like the same level of brakes, not better. The 427R comes with standard Mustang GT brakes. 14" stop-techs are a $2600 option.

OK, it's Borla. Who make the GT500s?

Some of the parts that are unique to the ROUSH Drag Pack Mustang include an upgraded flywheel and clutch, a one-piece driveshaft with safety loop, a polished 4:10 ring and pinion gear set, upgraded posi rear differential, bracing on the rear axle housing, new lower control arm brackets with two attachment positions, and high-strength axle shafts with extended wheel studs.
The suspension components are highly adjustable and include tubular steel upper and lower control arms with rod ends, tubular steel panhard rod and relocation bracket, rear stabilizer bar relocation kit, and single adjustable front struts and double adjustable rear shocks. Other unique elements of the ROUSH Drag Pack Mustang include having the battery relocated to the trunk for better weight distribution and the inclusion of an external on/off switch, a tachometer with shift light mounted to the dash, smaller ROUSHcharger* pulley and engine calibration with a maximum of 7000 RPM. The car will ship with both street tires and a set of Mickey Thompson rear drag racing tires.
Sounds like a smaller pulley and a tune to me as far as power upgrades.

Why didn't Roush put it on the S3?

I don't disagree about the "Shelbiness" of the car. But, what does that have to do with which car is better performance car for the money.

tried again. Still can't find Roush as a manufacturer on there.

edit: Like I said. I'm not anti-Roush. I have always loved their cars. I'm just stating which is the better car for the money.
Old 11/30/06, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Mark, I imagine most of us would like to buy one at sticker. Why don't you just sit back with the rest of us until that happens. Think about what you can do with that 5K if you just wait a little longer

Not to mention, 2008 models may show some improvement
Old 11/30/06, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

www.nadaguides.com look under classic/ special interest. Alphabetical search under R finds Roush Performance.

50 Drag Pack cars will be built, all will be sold by Brandon Ford in Tampa FL. www.brandonford.com

Parts are available so that anyone may by them.

As far a performance for the money, Questionable, VERY Questionable.

$45000.00 Base MSRP Shelby PLUS a $10000 (conservative) ADM = %55000. or more.

$50-51K for a fully dressed 427R or Stage 3

A little something to keep in mind. It is Roush who did ALL the R&D for the Shelby powertrain, and with that said. Do you honestly think that the Stage 3 or 427R are only putting out 415-427hp?

If so, I've got some beach front property in Nebraska you might be interested in.
Old 11/30/06, 01:53 PM
GTR Member

i love the "why couldn't shelby do it?" comment about roush's upgrade blower for the GT500.....SVT built the car, NOT Shelby
Old 11/30/06, 01:54 PM
GTR Member

www.nadaguides.com look under classic/ special interest. Alphabetical search under R finds Roush Performance.

50 Drag Pack cars will be built, all will be sold by Brandon Ford in Tampa FL. www.brandonford.com

Parts are available so that anyone may by them.

As far a performance for the money, Questionable, VERY Questionable.

$45000.00 Base MSRP Shelby PLUS a $10000 (conservative) ADM = %55000. or more.

$50-51K for a fully dressed 427R or Stage 3

A little something to keep in mind. It is Roush who did ALL the R&D for the Shelby powertrain, and with that said. Do you honestly think that the Stage 3 or 427R are only putting out 415-427hp?

If so, I've got some beach front property in Nebraska you might be interested in.
Seriously? hahaha, those cars put down 360-380 to the wheels from what i've seen...
Old 11/30/06, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

There has been a decent amount of information put out showing Stage 3 cars dynoing between 385-396 rwhp.

Assuming 15% loss from parasitic drag factors one would equate those numbers to 442 to 455 HP at the fly.
Old 11/30/06, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Bullitt,

Like I said. I like the Roush. I'd be proud to own one. Obviously you are. You should be definding it like you are. I would be.

Owning a car is not always all about absolute numbers anyway. It is about how big of a grin it puts on your face. For me, it's the Shelby.

If the ADMs were to last forever. I would agree that the bang for buck is bigger on the Roush. But, I think if Ultimix really wants the Shelby and is willing to wait, he will get the Shelby at sticker. Since I posted in the first one above, I got another deal for an '08 at MSRP. That is 2 now. I'm sure others can be made if I tried. The market is softening.
Old 11/30/06, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse

It is about how big of a grin it puts on your face.
Or in my case, listening to my friends use a great amount of foul language when the blower kicks in and they get thrown into the seat.

I do not mean to come across as if I am trashing they Shelby as it is not my intent.
Old 11/30/06, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Or in my case, listening to my friends use a great amount of foul language when the blower kicks in and they get thrown into the seat.

I do not mean to come across as if I am trashing they Shelby as it is not my intent.
I'm looking forward to freaking my friends out as well.

No offense taken at all. Like I said, you should stand up for your ride. I wasn't trying to trash the Roush either.
Old 11/30/06, 04:34 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Roush is a POS. Shelby is POS. Ford is a POS. And the dealers...
I don't even want to talk about it.
Old 11/30/06, 04:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Roush is a POS. Shelby is POS. Ford is a POS. And the dealers...
I don't even want to talk about it.
George, where are you coming from here? I thought you loved your Shelby and your Terminator.

If it is a sarcastic post, you forgot your jester.

edit: Although I see you list your car as SVT GT500. Ford and Shelby were not mentioned.
Old 11/30/06, 04:52 PM
GT Member

In my honest opinion I think a Roush is a better deal then the Shelby basically because it trully is a specialty car. The GT 500 is one kick butt ride and I am sure there are alot of improvements you can make on the current edition, but I don't think its any match for a Roush or a Saleen in the collectors or value market. I can't speak for Roush but my Saleen dyno'd at just over 400 Hp to the rear wheels on a car rated at 435Hp. So I would think Roush is doing the same and sandbagging is the name of the game on the performance numbers. More or less I think buying a Ford Shelby Gt500, a Roush or a Saleen all comes down to preference. You could throw up one of a million arguements on why one or another is a better buy. If your looking for the most power in a mustang for straight line performance well build a dragster because it blow all three away. In the end they are all mustangs!
Old 11/30/06, 04:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by NiteHawk422
In the end they are all mustangs!
Well said!
Old 11/30/06, 05:00 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
George, where are you coming from here?

Well... there's been no arguments or name calling for almost two month around this joint. So, I thought help out.

... Although I see you list your car as SVT GT500. Ford and Shelby were not mentioned.
I've never had a problem giving credit where credit is due. Subletting his name plate, planting emblems, and demanding size 285 rear tires does not entitle Carroll Shelby to recognition he does not deserve.

Mr. Shelby can have anything he wants in this world with the exception of the opportunity to autograph my car. He can even offer me money and I would politely decline and suggest a more suitable location for him to store it.

BTW, my personalized tag is due any day and will be paying tribute to SVT.

Old 12/1/06, 08:49 AM
Big Falken Tires

There has been a decent amount of information put out showing Stage 3 cars dynoing between 385-396 rwhp.

Assuming 15% loss from parasitic drag factors one would equate those numbers to 442 to 455 HP at the fly.
Except for the crappy stock tune they warranty that comes with the blower.....

I'm sure the thing will perform 100% with a custom tune....
But the stock tune could be loads better....
Old 12/1/06, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

The conservative tune is the trade-off to the warranty offered on the car.

Still not many supercharged cars with 400+HP WITH a warranty.

Quick Reply: My Black Shelby experience...