Idiot wrecks his '08 Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/08, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a tool this guy is. with a Ferrari decal on the fender. Looks like this guy should have stuck with racing his HotWheel cars until he grew up!
Old 10/29/08, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Indystang
What a tool this guy is. with a Ferrari decal on the fender. Looks like this guy should have stuck with racing his HotWheel cars until he grew up!
Um, its a Terlingua sticker.

...remember its not cars that kill people, it's idiots like that do.....

Good thing he didn't get anyone else hurt........this time
Old 10/29/08, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe I saw this car at the cruise in last month... it WAS a nice car. Won 1st in it's class.... guess that won't be happening again... dumb@ss
Old 10/29/08, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
It happened in Texas near Fort Worth.
Where drive-through liquor stores are almost a good idea!

Old 10/29/08, 09:28 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a tool this guy is. with a Ferrari decal on the fender.
I'm surprised a mustang enthusiast would say this.

On many of the Shelby team race cars was a rather unusual symbol. Pictured was a "mean looking rabbit on a chrome and yellow crest." (SAAC expert Rick Kopec's words) This crest was on Ken Miles GT 350 at Green Valley, Texas, when it was raced for the first time.

The story behind the fierce rabbit crest is another colorful chapter in Carroll Shelby's story. It seems a good friend of Carroll's, David Witts, an attorney from Dallas, purchased 200,000 acres of "desert wilderness and jagged mesa located in the SW part of Texas, near Big Bend National Park and the Mexican border." On the land was a ghost town named Terlingua. The story goes something like this. Long ago three different Indian tribes used this area for sending out raiding parties to the surrounding areas. The Indians called the area Tres Linguas or three languages. The American version came to be Terlinguas. Today, Terlingua has a constant population of 9. During the boom time days of the quicksilver rush it reached 5,000 people.

That was also the very first time a GT 350 was raced. Miles won by the way. It was on Parnelli Jones's King Cobra at the 1964 LA Times Grand Prix and on four Indy 500 winners.

That crest was on cars that won at LeMans, Sebring, Riverside, Laguna Seca and graced the side of the Shelby Trans-Am Mustangs during 1967 and 1968.

The press release, found in Shelby American Issue #44 of the SAAC news magazine, explains the significance of the crest.

"The rabbit thrives in the Big Bend and being fast of foot was picked to dominate the design. He's holding up his right front foot to say "Hold the chili peppers in the chili."

The sun is there because it always is in the Big Bend Country. The feathers represent the three Indian tribes, Commanches, Apaches and Kiowa, that lived in the area and were responsible for the Terlingua name. 1860 was the year of the first known race. It was a horse-drawn wagon race over what is now referred to as the wetback expressway."

Shelby, Witt and some friend's actually set up a local government for Terlingua. All the council meetings were held at some bar or posh restaurant in Dallas. If you expressed interest in the project Witt, Honorary Mayor, made you a council member or dog catcher or commodore of the Terlingua Navy. Terlingua news always made the Dallas newspapers, probably thanks to a Dallas newspaper man who happened to be on the Terlingua City Council.

The official Terlingua bird was a buzzard. There was no official city tree because there were no trees in Terlingua. When President Johnson declared war on poverty, the Terlingua City Council wrote to see where to go to surrender. But what put Terlingua on the Texas map was the 1967 CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International) Chili Cookoff. But that's another chapter in the Carroll Shelby story.

(source: written by Dennis Begley, Car Memories)
http://www.cartype.com/pages/266/terlingua_racing_team

Last edited by AFBLUE; 10/29/08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10/29/08, 09:34 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Mark, how's it going? Car looks GREAT!!! I'm a full-fledge member on TS now, and have contemplated adding white "FIA stripes" to my car, but can't get myself to pull the trigger. I found them on a site. All precut, and available. Just have to decide on adding them or not. Hope all is well dude.
Hey Jeff. Thanks. I need to post some new pix of my car over here. Are you "05fordgt" on TS too? You don't need to pay a lot for the stripes. All you need to do is go to a local graphics shop and request 2 " stripes about 18-20" long. I'm not gifted in doing this type of work and I was able to do it all by myself.

Last edited by AFBLUE; 10/29/08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see someone straightened out this "Ferrari" error.

In the thread where the victim (owner of the wall) posted on the Team Shelby Forum, he has retracted (edited out) his "drunk" remarks.

Use your usual judgment as to whether that means the driver was not drunk, just as you did by taking the reporting party's earlier statement as accurate.

"We become just by the practice of just actions,
self-controlled by exercising self-control,
and courageous by performing acts of courage."
--Aristotle
Old 10/29/08, 05:01 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I would think it matters little whether the guy was drunk or not. What might seem to matter is it happened in a residential area which usually do not have high speed limits and considering the amount of damage it is not indicative of a low speed collision.
Old 10/30/08, 06:58 AM
Service Manager

Received 440 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by frank s
I see someone straightened out this "Ferrari" error.

In the thread where the victim (owner of the wall) posted on the Team Shelby Forum, he has retracted (edited out) his "drunk" remarks.

Use your usual judgment as to whether that means the driver was not drunk, just as you did by taking the reporting party's earlier statement as accurate.

"We become just by the practice of just actions,
self-controlled by exercising self-control,
and courageous by performing acts of courage."
--Aristotle
Considering that the information I posted came from the first hand owner of said wall and property and who was the first person on the scene I think I will stand by the fact that the drunk state was accurately reported .
Old 10/30/08, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

The car was in the Shelby rally from Quantum Performance to the new Shelby School in Pittsburg on Sat morning. Car looked good on Sat afternoon....

Bummer he destroyed such a nice car.

The stripes and the small decal in them were applied at the Terlingua TeamShelby event about a month ago.
Old 10/30/08, 02:05 PM
Cobra R Member

hmmmm...wonder how much he'll take for the motor?
Old 10/30/08, 02:07 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,755 Likes on 2,039 Posts
RIP Gt-500

What a Bummer. Life's Lessons can be Cruel. I hope the Driver Learns his Lesson well. Otherwise all is for nothing. It could have been a whole lot worse if an Innocent bystander was Hurt or Killed. There for the Grace of God goes one of us.

MGB,

Kc
Old 10/30/08, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That'll buff right out.
Old 10/30/08, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT
That'll buff right out.
Very Optimistic are we not. I would say at Least a Little Body Filler would be required!

KC
Old 10/30/08, 02:33 PM
Cobra R Member

What a tool this guy is. with a Ferrari decal on the fender....
Here's a pic of a contemporary one. (1000 posts, Yahoo!)
Attached Images  

Last edited by WaltM; 10/30/08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10/30/08, 02:42 PM

To those who are Curious this is the Decal on the Fender I believe. Old 60's Shelby race team Decal.
Attached Images  
Old 10/30/08, 05:11 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I am not completely sure but it appears the car's Terlingua racing days are over.

It'll probably surface with a salvage title somewhere and of course, the measurements will be within the usually proclaimed millimeter. Even with if repaired by top notch experts the chassis will never be the same.
Old 10/31/08, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I started early on Saturday, I might have it driveable by Sunday, 3PM; 5 PM tops!
Old 10/31/08, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangBrother
Why do losers like this have to damage such an awesome piece of machinery?

Why do losers such as this guy get to have so much money?
Old 10/31/08, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Why do losers such as this guy get to have so much money?

Why, you ask?
Because they were the ones in High School who had no friends. So all they did was study and become overachievers and get a good job making lots of money!
Now that they have lots of money, they buy a car they have no idea how to drive properly, just to prove they belong and try to get (read impress)friends they never had to begin with.

Quick Reply: Idiot wrecks his '08 Shelby