GT500 Max HP Stock Motor

Old 8/29/08, 11:52 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GT500 Max HP Stock Motor

I mean right out of the box! What is the Max HP that a GT500 could handle on the stock motor...Maybe 550-650 rwhp... I would like to know because I don't plan on adding any more performance mods to my car (other than the headers in my garage), to hopefully getting a GT500 in the future... This whole idea could very we'll change
Old 8/29/08, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lethal Performance just reached 900 rwhp on a stock engine.

I would imagine that's pushing it but there are a lot of guys pushing 700 rwhp with a kenne bell or whipple with no problems.
Old 8/29/08, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
800 RWHP easily, without cracking a valve cover...

There are an ever growing number of GT500 Factory 5.4's out there now easily producing 800 RWHP without cracking a valve cover...

Some guys are touching 1000 RWHP without cracking a valve cover...
Old 8/29/08, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search youtube for Evolution Performance!
Old 8/29/08, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I've heard that the rev's should be kept down since the rods are the weakest link.
Old 8/29/08, 03:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thats is crazy..900rhwp I'm would not go that crazy with it. I would be comfortable with 550-600 rwhp. What would basic mods like Longtubes, cai, and dyno tune get, Maybe 60-70 hp? Anybody know what they put down stock, last I heard they put down like 450rwhp out of the box...
Old 8/29/08, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

It depends on the day, dyno, and car, but yeah 450 is about right.

I'm not sure what you would get with those mods. I wish I had a GT500 and I could tell ya
Old 8/29/08, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I can tell you what little money can get you in regards to modding a GT500. The one I sold by good friend, he took it to Evolution, and did basically a retune, CAI, throttle body (I believe) new pullies (upper and lower) and they also did the rear suspension to eliminate the wheel hop (its pretty wicked in these stock), and he is putting down 615 rwhp. That translates to about 775 or so to the flywheel. Let me tell ya, those little mods (exhaust is STOCK) and adding a set of 305 MT ET Drag Radials to a custom widened stock SVT wheel (a company cuts them in half and adds a 1.5" spacer to be able to mount a 305 tire), the car HAULS A$$!!!! I mean its down right SICK!!! And those steamrollers out the back looks NASTY (albeit when he uses those tires. Only for the track as they don't last more than 1,200 miles). Car was fast before, but now its INSANE!!!
Old 8/29/08, 08:35 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
... I would be comfortable with 550-600 rwhp...
It is very possible you would be more than comfortable with its stock performance. High numbers are bragging rights unless one makes a living out of the difference of a split of a second. I've been one of those Mustang guys wishing for Ford for more and more performance and finally I find a stock GT500 it is more than enough. It is a handful and not too many who have them have the nerve or courage to take it to its max (Yes, yes, YES, I am one of those chickens ). The scary part is not how fast it goes but how quick it gets there.
Old 8/29/08, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I can tell you what little money can get you in regards to modding a GT500. The one I sold by good friend, he took it to Evolution, and did basically a retune, CAI, throttle body (I believe) new pullies (upper and lower) and they also did the rear suspension to eliminate the wheel hop (its pretty wicked in these stock), and he is putting down 615 rwhp. That translates to about 775 or so to the flywheel. Let me tell ya, those little mods (exhaust is STOCK) and adding a set of 305 MT ET Drag Radials to a custom widened stock SVT wheel (a company cuts them in half and adds a 1.5" spacer to be able to mount a 305 tire), the car HAULS A$$!!!! I mean its down right SICK!!! And those steamrollers out the back looks NASTY (albeit when he uses those tires. Only for the track as they don't last more than 1,200 miles). Car was fast before, but now its INSANE!!!
I know the car that he is referring to, sick is not the word! OMG is
Old 8/29/08, 09:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
It is very possible you would be more than comfortable with its stock performance. High numbers are bragging rights unless one makes a living out of the difference of a split of a second. I've been one of those Mustang guys wishing for Ford for more and more performance and finally I find a stock GT500 it is more than enough. It is a handful and not too many who have them have the nerve or courage to take it to its max (Yes, yes, YES, I am one of those chickens ). The scary part is not how fast it goes but how quick it gets there.
My car right now could hang if not out run a stock GT500 ( depending on the driver). Had A run in with one a few days ago... I would like to rebuild my motor but I don't want any reliabilty problems. Figure I would have better chances reaching the numbers I want with A GT500. I have always loved the GT500 and knowing what it's capable of in pretty much stock trim is everything I want... Plus the sound of that 5.4 is amazing!!!
Old 8/29/08, 09:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Thats pretty amazing!!! Did he have to add a fuel pump? I have the GT500 pumps in my car but i thought they were good for like 600rwhp... Or is it 700.. Do you know how the car handels on the street ( street tires)? Steamrollers
Old 8/30/08, 11:00 PM
Cobra Member

Subscribing
Old 9/3/08, 03:09 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Me too
Old 9/3/08, 06:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Thats pretty amazing!!! Did he have to add a fuel pump? I have the GT500 pumps in my car but i thought they were good for like 600rwhp... Or is it 700.. Do you know how the car handels on the street ( street tires)? Steamrollers
With the OEM street tires, the car just couldn't hook up. Way too much power on the stock rubber. When he got the MTs, the car will bite and take off like a rocket! As for the fuel pump, I'll ask him when I talk to him this week. He may be going to Holman Ford's car show with me.

Oh, and they are steamrollers.
Old 9/3/08, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

Sonic, I was debating the same thing you are right now about a month ago.

There are several things to consider in regard to the GT500 compared to a GT.

A GT is about 300 pounds lighter than the GT500 so it will handle better if you're interested in that sort of thing. Of course the GT500's suspension can be worked on to help, but you've still got a nose heavy car... that iron block is just HEAVY.

If you've already got a blower on your car and as you said can hang or outrun a stock GT500 then you know to get the kind of performance you are used to with your current car you will have to mod the GT500.

In other words it's unlikely you will like the stock performance of the GT500 if your current car can outperform it.

All that being said... the GT500 has a platform that is a total monster. IF you mod it you will be able to go much further in the HP/TQ area than you ever could on your stock GT motor.

BUT if you build your motor you will be able to push your built motor just as far except you will still retain the aluminum block... which gives you back that nice weight balance and allows the car to handle better... not to mention go faster with less power.

As for reliability of a built motor. If you get the right person to build it, it will be just as reliable as your stock motor... it'll just be able to handle A LOT more power.

Of course if you are planning to push to that 600 hp or whatever limit you will have to upgrade your transmission and rearend.... it never ends

With the GT500 you're probably good with the trans until you start pushing crazy numbers like 900rwhp!!

It's all up to you and your goals for what you really want.

For me personally, I would LOVE to have a GT500 just because it's a Cobra and I've never owned one. It has less to do with the performance of the car and more to do with the desire to own one.

But I can't justify the expense as my car is like yours and is already faster than a stock GT500 and I would never get out of the car what I put into it. But if I get the extra cash I'll get one just to get one

Maybe I'm writing things you already know but I figured since I just went through this I would give you my .02 for what they're worth
Old 9/3/08, 01:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Sonic, I was debating the same thing you are right now about a month ago.

There are several things to consider in regard to the GT500 compared to a GT.

A GT is about 300 pounds lighter than the GT500 so it will handle better if you're interested in that sort of thing. Of course the GT500's suspension can be worked on to help, but you've still got a nose heavy car... that iron block is just HEAVY.

If you've already got a blower on your car and as you said can hang or outrun a stock GT500 then you know to get the kind of performance you are used to with your current car you will have to mod the GT500.

In other words it's unlikely you will like the stock performance of the GT500 if your current car can outperform it.

All that being said... the GT500 has a platform that is a total monster. IF you mod it you will be able to go much further in the HP/TQ area than you ever could on your stock GT motor.

BUT if you build your motor you will be able to push your built motor just as far except you will still retain the aluminum block... which gives you back that nice weight balance and allows the car to handle better... not to mention go faster with less power.

As for reliability of a built motor. If you get the right person to build it, it will be just as reliable as your stock motor... it'll just be able to handle A LOT more power.

Of course if you are planning to push to that 600 hp or whatever limit you will have to upgrade your transmission and rearend.... it never ends

With the GT500 you're probably good with the trans until you start pushing crazy numbers like 900rwhp!!

It's all up to you and your goals for what you really want.

For me personally, I would LOVE to have a GT500 just because it's a Cobra and I've never owned one. It has less to do with the performance of the car and more to do with the desire to own one.

But I can't justify the expense as my car is like yours and is already faster than a stock GT500 and I would never get out of the car what I put into it. But if I get the extra cash I'll get one just to get one

Maybe I'm writing things you already know but I figured since I just went through this I would give you my .02 for what they're worth
That was greatly appreciated! Thanks. I drive my car and look at it and think there is no way I will ever get rid of it because I love it that much! At the same time it would be just as amazing to own A GT500 but don't know if its worth the cost...Basically what you said
Old 9/3/08, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Us GT guys like to look at the CAI/tune for our biggest bang for the buck-- It's amazing how much horsepower the GT500's get from the CAI/tune!
Old 9/3/08, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

So true... so so true.
Old 9/3/08, 03:22 PM
GT Member

I found for fast street, beyond 460-470rwhp is not controlable when any adrenaline is present. Even on the best summer tires, in the summer weather, when i was at 500rwhp, there is just too much power to drive taking corners, fast starts, bursts of boost.

I came down to the 12lb tune, and am making 470 or so now, and very happy now, I still can hardly feather the gas well enough not to break loose. The intake temps are down a good deal now because of the larger 2-fan Saleen intercooler. At 3625lbs, I don't want any more power. Erik

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT500 Max HP Stock Motor