Auction: Right to Buy First GT500 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/05, 09:50 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Knight@December 10, 2005, 1:55 PM

Stop complaining about all the things it doesn't have and look at the things it does have.

Not rain on your parade Chris but it will also have a HUGE markup. You could make a GT perform as good if not better for a fraction of the final selling price on the GT500. I know I'm speculating on the price issue but when i shake my magic 8-ball it says "all signs point to yes" so you know it will happen
Old 12/11/05, 02:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Akurei14@December 11, 2005, 11:46 AM
I already told my dealer that if he goes any mre that $3K over MSRP I'll walk.
and by doing this you just told the dealer the car is worth $3k over sticker. My approach would have been anything at all over MSRP and I'll walk. In fact, that is what I told my dealer.
Old 12/11/05, 03:03 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by Akurei14@December 11, 2005, 12:46 PM
I already told my dealer that if he goes any mre that $3K over MSRP I'll walk. .

I would be very careful if I were you. "Intimidating a dealer" is a very serious offense.

Old 12/12/05, 12:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that you guys do not want to pay an unfair price for this car, but if the dealer has something that is short in supply that people want, Let the person that wants to pay the most for it get the first ones delivered. The prices will come down after a while making it more afordable to all, but these are the same dealers that are giving away the farm just to move all the other fine vehicles that ford makes that don't have quite the supply/demand that the gt500 does. Threatening to walk on a deal that is not even a deal yet means nothing in this situation. Somebody will buy it, and on the off chance that they don't, the price will adjust itself. that is how our great country and economy works. Just ask yourself when was the last time any of you paid any where even close to sticker on a taurus, explorer or f-series. If you have some sort of an agreement with the dealer on the price of this car, put a deposit down on it and get it in writing. Just remember a good deal is a state of mind. If a person is williing to pay a little extra to be the first on the block with this hot new car and its worth it to that person great. If you are the type that would rather wait until it cools off a bit (and I am with you on that), Ford and the delaers will need buyers then too.
Old 12/12/05, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by aaron95stang@December 12, 2005, 1:36 PM
I understand that you guys do not want to pay an unfair price for this car, but if the dealer has something that is short in supply that people want, Let the person that wants to pay the most for it get the first ones delivered. The prices will come down after a while making it more afordable to all, but these are the same dealers that are giving away the farm just to move all the other fine vehicles that ford makes that don't have quite the supply/demand that the gt500 does. Threatening to walk on a deal that is not even a deal yet means nothing in this situation. Somebody will buy it, and on the off chance that they don't, the price will adjust itself. that is how our great country and economy works. Just ask yourself when was the last time any of you paid any where even close to sticker on a taurus, explorer or f-series. If you have some sort of an agreement with the dealer on the price of this car, put a deposit down on it and get it in writing. Just remember a good deal is a state of mind. If a person is williing to pay a little extra to be the first on the block with this hot new car and its worth it to that person great. If you are the type that would rather wait until it cools off a bit (and I am with you on that), Ford and the delaers will need buyers then too.
Well, if you're going to come in here and try to make sense and be reasonable you're just going to have to find a new forum. We'll have none of that type of behaviour here!

Old 12/12/05, 12:47 PM
GT Member

I am just glad that someone understands what i mean. part of what makes a car cool is that it is exclusive... if everyone had one then it would just be another car.
Old 12/12/05, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand exactly what you mean. I post "don't pay AMV" messages to discourage other people from thinking they will have to pay them. If R&T is right, 10,000 cars the first year will leave cars sitting on the lots at the end of the year. The guy I am buying from still had '03s left at the end of the '04 model year. They had to sell them as used cars on ebay.
Old 12/12/05, 06:08 PM

hm, i would just wait the extra few months and just buy it at the normal sticker price. -_-
Old 12/12/05, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am sure the car will go for at least $200K.

1) Shelby's are rare and this is the first in a great while
2) It's numerically the number one car and the number one Mustang comercially available (right after Saleen's S-281 Extreme, which has 500+ horsepower)
3) Only 7,500 in production
4) Oh heck, rich people love to show off at auctions and it's Jay Leno's day off
Old 12/13/05, 07:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

the first ford gt sold for 3X's sticker so ill go with the first shelby to do the same. once ford posts the real sticker price. multiply that by 3 and thats my guess if people want to pay AMV to be first. thats their right and their money. more power to them. its still doesnt affect the value of the car. its still going to be worth less than sticker once they drive it off the lot.
Old 12/13/05, 02:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

i bet the car will sell for $175,000!
Old 12/14/05, 12:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not a chance this Saleen sold on or about the first to second day in the show room for around 70,000 CAD if there is a pool for guessing I'd go 75,000 plus USA for the Shelby
Old 12/14/05, 01:44 PM

I hope Shelby passes through a magnetic field. 0:-)

Old 12/14/05, 01:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by burningman@December 11, 2005, 10:53 AM
Not rain on your parade Chris but it will also have a HUGE markup. You could make a GT perform as good if not better for a fraction of the final selling price on the GT500. I know I'm speculating on the price issue but when i shake my magic 8-ball it says "all signs point to yes" so you know it will happen
yeah this is true...but its not really fords fault for the markup
Old 12/14/05, 06:06 PM

MAN......
Nobody has heard or seen anything yet, but everyone is freaking out about the price of a car that only God and ford knows how high its going to be. That means one thing. People love this car and will pay (or rationalize paying) for it no matter what the price, as long as they can make the payments or buy it outright. Lets not forget that someone will be bidding on just "the right to buy the first GT500". Not actually buying the car.
I just bought a 2006 Mustang GT amonth ago. And I have the car to show for it. My local ford lot said that if I really wanted it, I would pay sticker($29,965). I drove 35 miles to another dealer that actually wanted to sell cars, and bought the same for $26,250 in the color I wanted. :scratch: Its basicaly up to the dealer. Most of them suck.

Just look around.....@ the price they will go for, someone will be willing to turn the sale @ MSRP.
Old 12/15/05, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Umm...not to crush anyones thoughts here on how much the first car is going to sell for, but this auction is just for the RIGHTS to buy the first one, not the actual price of the car.

So if some collector has deep pockets this is a great way to get a tax right off for buying what will be a collectors item for sure, if the bidding is under $150K i would be very suprised, again because of the write off potential.
Old 12/15/05, 01:34 PM

Actulay my dealer said MSRP is what we all get.
So apparetntly we got it right.
I forgot to mention I was willing to pay $3k over for the extended warranty and service stuff etc. Stuff I figured was standard with the Shelby, since this dealer threw that stuff in on my GT and when my old man ordered his F-150 he also got this stuff. All the service options this dealer offers total to just under $3k
Old 12/15/05, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by crazyhorse@December 12, 2005, 2:08 PM
I understand exactly what you mean. I post "don't pay AMV" messages to discourage other people from thinking they will have to pay them. If R&T is right, 10,000 cars the first year will leave cars sitting on the lots at the end of the year. The guy I am buying from still had '03s left at the end of the '04 model year. They had to sell them as used cars on ebay.
I am on a "List" for what good that is worth with one of the largest Ford/SVT Dealers in Texas. Through a mutual friend, I have gotten to know the sales manager at that dealership pretty well, and he told me that on the first 3 GT500s they get, he is going to attempt to sell them to the highest bidder.
I told him congratulations, and I hope he can find some bidders, but that I wouldn't be bidding over sticker. He basically told me that he understood 100% and that as he got other GT 500s in after the intitial allotment sells, he will have no problem unloading them without a dealer markup.

Remember of course, this is a car dealer...so I trust him enough that I have gone ahead and added myself to "Lists" at other Ford dealers as well...
Old 12/16/05, 11:34 AM

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if the 05 Mustang GT's were going for more than sticker, I don't think you will have a snowball's chance of getting on near sticker. With only 7500 made, each dealer will probably sell for as much as they can get. The dealer where I bought mine on xplan says the may get 2, one is already promised to the owners's buddy and the other will be sold to the highest bidder. I would be surprised if anyone is able to buy one for under 60k. Sad thing is that collector's will buy most of them up and you may not see many on the road.
Old 12/16/05, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by bigplayrayr@December 16, 2005, 2:37 PM
... I would be surprised if anyone is able to buy one for under 60k...
I can assure you it won't be the same investors who rolled the dice on past SEs and SVTs.

Quick Reply: Auction: Right to Buy First GT500 Coupe