2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

You think Ford knows that the Mustang people

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/09, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who are upset talk a lot more than people who are happy. That is why you hear more complaining about the rear than people saying they love it. Look at politics, vocal minority is all you hear. The happy and silent majority go unnoticed. I personally always thought the 05-09 hood and front end was bland and underwhelming and the back was decent. I still think the 2010+ needs a new hood, but the only thing the back needs is a more aggressive diffuser. There will never be a perfect car. I personally think the new Ferrari is incredible, except the back is a ridiculous pile of shapes and angles. And three tailpipes? What the heck? Alfa Romeos have the ugliest face in motoring, Lambos are too low, don't get me started on the lotus... There will always be complaints by someone about every car. Some things are fixable aftermarket, some aren't. The problems people seem to have with the '10 are at least partially fixable in the aftermarket. Be happy that such a cheap, fantastic performing car is even close to what you like in style, because I am pretty sure that is a rare occurrence.
Old 12/6/09, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Just buy a Saleen rear bumper cover and be done with it!
Old 12/6/09, 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its cool to post all the other cars with plastic on the rear lowr bumper, but ford shaped the thing so ugly, it like falls on top of it self instead of being smooth. why didn't they just keep it smooth and straight instead?

instead of

)
)
)

why not

|
|
/
Old 12/6/09, 01:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
Its cool to post all the other cars with plastic on the rear lowr bumper, but ford shaped the thing so ugly, it like falls on top of it self instead of being smooth. why didn't they just keep it smooth and straight instead?

instead of

)
)
)

why not

|
|
/
We aren't allowed to speak of such things...someone might get their feelings hurt.
Old 12/6/09, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

i love the rear of this car, however for the 2011 my biggest issue wont be the rear of the vehicle but my issue will be whether or not i want to start a car payment all over again. I am almost done paying off my 05gt.
Old 12/6/09, 04:49 PM
GT Member

\___/
_ |
/ \_/
Old 12/6/09, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by elvism
i love everything about the car except the rear..
I like the V6 Pony Package body better than the GT from the front view, but can't wait until the 2011 V6 with dual exhaust. The interior on the 2010 is what I am most envious of. I would love to drop that into my 2005. I spend my time looking at my Mustang from the driver's seat and everyone else can check out "my rear end". ;-)
Old 12/6/09, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

If there is such a widespread hatred in the Mustang community among real prospective buyers of the 2010+ Mustang over the rear lower bumper cover, then I'm sure there will be a lot of replacement choices to make it "look better" given the huge aftermarket there is for Mustang parts. Or you could just have it painted.
Old 12/6/09, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the new rear, and hope that Ford does not change it. I especially like the plastic just behind the rear wheels, will help hide any tar buildup that occurs, and don't have to worry about sctaching the paint...
Old 12/6/09, 08:09 PM

For me, it's not the lower part or "plastic look" that is the issue. It's the shape of the tail lights and the fact that the rearend just does not match the rest of the car, looks like a foreign car's rearend and sticks out way too much.

Like autoblog said: "The only part of the car that we kept coming back to and going "Hmmm..." is the now more rounded rear end, which in profile juts out so much it makes us think of a cantilevered shelf hanging out over a canyon."
Old 12/6/09, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBOSS
For me, it's not the lower part or "plastic look" that is the issue. It's the shape of the tail lights and the fact that the rearend just does not match the rest of the car, looks like a foreign car's rearend and sticks out way too much.

Like autoblog said: "The only part of the car that we kept coming back to and going "Hmmm..." is the now more rounded rear end, which in profile juts out so much it makes us think of a cantilevered shelf hanging out over a canyon."
The rear of the 2010 is actually shorter than the 2005-09.

Just curious, what "foreign" car's rear end does this look like? To me it looks most like a 67-68 scooped trunk lid with 69-70 or 71-73 style tailights. Pure Mustang to me.
Old 12/6/09, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I believe what people view as "ugly" or "different" is merely the taper on the outside edge of the rear taillights. This effectively changes the line on the bumper portion of the rear valence below the taillights. The distance "H" is now extended up past the fender line in the rear of the car. The 05-09 had a much larger taillight and thus the bumper cover was lower and the "H" was about 4 inches lower and below the apex of the arch on the rear wheel well.

I always have trouble digesting body styles. I recently started to fall in love with the Terminator cars. When I bought my '06 it made sense I like the style since anything new was always hard for me to accept.

I think people like me with the inability to accept change ultimately lose. I could have bought the 2004 Terminator for $29K the day I ordered my '06. Had I loved and bought the '04, I could have paid that off and been looking for a clean '09 right now.

Attached Images  
Old 12/6/09, 08:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
That may be the case for some of you, but I don't think I'll have to be worrying about that.

And to some of you others here...

I just laugh at people that have the 'newest' car and every car that went before is now junk. The 'newest' car had better be a better car. If its not better in almost every way the competition's car soon will be. But you are not 'Mustang people' if you bash the previous generations for the sake of making you feel better about your purchase. I for one cannot stand people that have to put down others rides to make them feel better about their own.
I have the opposite interpretation. It seems most of the 10 rear end haters are 05-09s owners who are bashing the 10 so they feel better about their cars.

Whether you like the rear or not, the 2010 is world's above the 2005-09, if just for the interior alone- its Audi quality. Add the suspension transformation, the better handling, structural improvements, and I don't care what the tailights are, the whole "Mustang" experience is advanced, and that's the way it should be. It will be the same with every new generation, whether you feel like your car is old or not. Just be happy you are part of the Mustang family, and stop *****ing about a car you don't own....

Ford sold 1 million first generation Mustangs. How many people do you think loved the 67 when it came out? Not many- sales dropped every year until 1974 Mustang II. But now many people look at the 67 fastback and GT500s as well as 69-70 Boss 302s as quintessential definitions of the Mustang history. Yet they were all low sellers- ( 69 Boss's sold just 1600+ cars ) So let it go....
Old 12/6/09, 08:31 PM
GT Member

Hmmm- the taper you describe is something I hadn't heard before. Really, its not more tapered than the 05-09. I heard the most complaints about the tailights and the black plastic.

The taper wouldn't necessartily change the line below the tailights. That is independent of the taper of the body.

I was at the MCA show this past June in Indianapolis and one of the 2010 designers did a great presentation on how they went from the 2005 design to the 2010. It made a lot of sense- it gives the car more shape and makes it more aggressive. He had slides which transformed between the 2005 and 2010, and the 2005 bumper is higher and further backward from the 10.

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
I believe what people view as "ugly" or "different" is merely the taper on the outside edge of the rear taillights. This effectively changes the line on the bumper portion of the rear valence below the taillights. The distance "H" is now extended up past the fender line in the rear of the car. The 05-09 had a much larger taillight and thus the bumper cover was lower and the "H" was about 4 inches lower and below the apex of the arch on the rear wheel well.

I always have trouble digesting body styles. I recently started to fall in love with the Terminator cars. When I bought my '06 it made sense I like the style since anything new was always hard for me to accept.

I think people like me with the inability to accept change ultimately lose. I could have bought the 2004 Terminator for $29K the day I ordered my '06. Had I loved and bought the '04, I could have paid that off and been looking for a clean '09 right now.

Old 12/6/09, 08:36 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangsimon
I have the opposite interpretation. It seems most of the 10 rear end haters are 05-09s owners who are bashing the 10 so they feel better about their cars.

Whether you like the rear or not, the 2010 is world's above the 2005-09, if just for the interior alone- its Audi quality. Add the suspension transformation, the better handling, structural improvements, and I don't care what the tailights are, the whole "Mustang" experience is advanced, and that's the way it should be. It will be the same with every new generation, whether you feel like your car is old or not. Just be happy you are part of the Mustang family, and stop *****ing about a car you don't own....

Ford sold 1 million first generation Mustangs. How many people do you think loved the 67 when it came out? Not many- sales dropped every year until 1974 Mustang II. But now many people look at the 67 fastback and GT500s as well as 69-70 Boss 302s as quintessential definitions of the Mustang history. Yet they were all low sellers- ( 69 Boss's sold just 1600+ cars ) So let it go....

If that's directed at me you have no idea of what you speak. I don't like the 2010 rear end, but have never failed to compliment the 2010 owners on their new rides. I'm not jealous of anyones rides. That's just crazy. I'm just sick and tired of 2010 owners crying about those that don't like the rear end of their car. They obviously don't like the rear of the 2005 and that's fine. I don't care who the heck likes it because I do.

So I guess what I have to do is say out loud that the 2010 Mustang is the best Mustang ever conceived on the face of the earth and God himself could not do a better job of designing a car. And even though this is an open forum of which I am a member I can never speak ill of any 2010+ Mustang for as long as I live because I'm just a jealous owner of an old outdated piece of crap car.

There. It's done. You now have converted another owner of the previous generation..

If your post wasn't directed at me, then completely ignore my remarks above.
Old 12/6/09, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm

instead of

)
)
)

why not

|
|
/
This is what I was trying to convey earlier...
Old 12/6/09, 08:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

It is starting to grow on me since i'm probably gonna get an '11 GT.... Oh well.
Old 12/6/09, 08:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

It is starting to grow on me since i'm probably gonna get an '11 GT.... Oh well.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 12/6/09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12/6/09, 08:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oups, double post....back to topic
Old 12/6/09, 09:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Honestly it has grown on me immensely since seeing it in person. The rear just isn't very photogenic IMO.

Quick Reply: You think Ford knows that the Mustang people