2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

You think Ford knows that the Mustang people

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/09, 07:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a member of several Mustang related forums and can say that it appears that most people, at least those who post, do not like the rear- including myself. Will that stop me from buying one? No, but a more aggressive bolder back would compliment the car better and be more desirable, at least to me. IMO the car looks like a hyena instead of a rottweiler- it simply does not flow with the rest of the car.

It’s always funny to read people cite "fact-isms"i.e, It will not, Fords not, Truth is, etc... when no one really know for sure about anything. These forums are generally based on opinions and every once in a while someone gets lucky and calls it right. Try to remember that...

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 12/6/09 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12/6/09, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the rear but I still think the diaper and rockers need to be painted.
Old 12/6/09, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool "Truth Be Known"

Truth Be Known: Saying most everyone loves that new 2010 rearend is a bit of a stretch! Lets face it. That big ugly gray rear diaper pan and that sadly bent/curved trunklid bottom is what the poor new Mustang buyers are now just stuck with! They have to buy this thing if they want a new Stang, like it or not. Sadly it is progress and competitive evolution at work here I guess?

That's all that there is, might explain the sales numbers. There is no other game in town for the Mustang buying folks right now. Until aftermarket companies can do some fixes on these design short comings. And FoMoCo has been really getting a lot of heat about this from the faithful out there.

It is known that the 05-09 S-197's are generally considered to be one of the greatest Mustang designs ever done! That also explains why so very many S-197 owners will probably never let go of them until they pass them on to the next generation.

This all kind of reminds me of the time when everyone that had the 67-68 Stangs. And they thought they needed to jump to the newer version. I've lost count of the stories over the years from folks that so wished they had kept their 67-68's Mustangs forever. IMO: It is all about what is really right for you now and in your future.. CalStang
Old 12/6/09, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
When I was in the market last year, pics of the '10 had started surfacing.

The rear end was the deal breaker for me so I bought my '08.

While the rest of the '10 is excellent, I just can't pull myself together and say I "Like" the rear end of the '10.
Old 12/6/09, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im kinda getting sick of all these 2010 rear end hate threads, like there arent enough already that ANOTHER one needs to be started.
Old 12/6/09, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
If anything they Audized the rear given Audi has been doing the black plastic lower trim for years.
I don't see any Honda or Audi in the rear. If anything, they Ferrari/Lamborghini/Lotus/Corvette/Aston Martin-ized it... There is a good reason for this-it actually reduces the heavy diaper look, by taking away paint from the lower rear part of the car. I just don't see what big the deal is when this is on every other high performance sports car, but is total **** when on a Mustang?!?!?

Old 12/6/09, 09:14 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I've no problem with the rear end, but I agree it's the weakest aspect of the '10 (but that's relative, 'cos the rest is stunning ). Personally, I wouldn't have "chamferred" the edges and I'd also have made the lights concave to match that rear panel.

However, I honestly think it makes the '05-'09 rear end look a little plane.

Somewhere between the two would have been perfect. I swear, given a Lottery win, I'd get this built

Last edited by Twin Turbo; 12/6/09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12/6/09, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
I don't see any Honda or Audi in the rear.
+1. The rear valance is fine... It's above the valance that needs some work... starting with the taillights.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Somewhere between the two would have been perfect. I swear, given a Lottery win, I'd get this built 8-)
+1. The round rear back-up lights in the bumper... awesome!
Old 12/6/09, 10:00 AM
V6 Member

Man, I just don't see it as being ugly.

To me it makes the last gen look "old."

Old 12/6/09, 11:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I hated the rear end when we first started seeing pics pop up. I'm okay with it now, but it still doesn't tug at my heart. All those other sportscars posted have black plastic on their rear bumpers. BUT, they don't have all those concave surfaces where the black plastic and painted plastic meet, drawing your eye to them. To me, it looks somewhat overdesigned. I would have liked the tailights concave to match the trunk, or the trunk flat to match the tailights. I would have liked the painted bumper section to be smooth (but still cutting in at the same angle, following that line under the car) where it meets up with the black plastic. It somewhat is smooth where the painted section and black section meet, but because of the concave painted surface right above and concave black surface below that line, it makes the bumper take on a bulbous look, rather than "chiseled" which is what Ford was looking for.

All that being said, it really is a moot point. There's nothing we can about it now, and it's not going to stop me from buying the best Mustang GT ever released.
Old 12/6/09, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
at first look the 10 butt was fugly to me but as time wears on its getting ok. But its still the worst part of the 10's
Old 12/6/09, 11:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Show me a sports car (like solo coupe, not a g37, or genesis or the like which all have a sedan starter base) from 2009+ (other than the prev. gen '09 mustang... yea ha... ha...) that DOESN'T have the plastic in its bumper...

Exactly. you'll have a tough time coming up with any...
The list that does have the plastic insert in some form- off hand I can think of 15-20! those that aren't I can only think of a few- the M6, Gran Turismo, XKR, Db9 (XKR and DB9 designer are the same person hence the same style.), 911 and 370z, but something tells me the plastic form is painted in the 370z...

Come to terms with it.
Done and dusted. How long will you beat the dead horse? I mean seriously... all the constant undercuts to the plastic bumper... If you want to talk "plastic"- may I remind you to just sit down inside your s197.

It's sad when "mustang people..." eat their own. Leave it to the Camaro forums.
This whole thread is a waste. No one will change the mindset of either one, it's like converting religions or political parties. There's a few who undergo the brainwash- but 99% of the time it's in one ear and out the other- we talk to who we know share the same mindset as us, which then solidifies it in the head that the other side is wrong. I enjoy my 2010. You enjoy your 05-09. And that's where we're equal in terms of mustang glory. end rant.

Old 12/6/09, 11:49 AM
eci
Banned

It is funny for an S197 owner to complain about plastic when their entire interior looks like a billet laundry tub.
Old 12/6/09, 11:57 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

2010ers have such thin skins...
Old 12/6/09, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Us 05-09 guys better get used to seeing the '11 rear real quick and like it as we will be seeing a lot of it as it blows past us. The '11 GT will make us feel like we are driving 4cyl Mustang II's again.
Old 12/6/09, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yet another "Mustang person" (I've owned 4 in the last 20 years) who is fine about the 2010+ rear end. I plan on trading my 2008 GT in on a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT and the rear end styling doesn't affect that decision one way or another. To me it seems a rather silly argument, but I guess some people just have a fixation with rear ends?
Old 12/6/09, 12:14 PM
GT Member

I like the rear of the '10-11,i'm not a fan of the rear of the '05-09,it's kinda plain. The front of the '05-09 is pretty nice though,i was admiring a GT/CS behind me in my mirror the other day. Overall the '10-11 is a tighter looking car. My favorite *** is still mine,the '99-04.
Old 12/6/09, 12:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Us 05-09 guys better get used to seeing the '11 rear real quick and like it as we will be seeing a lot of it as it blows past us. The '11 GT will make us feel like we are driving 4cyl Mustang II's again.
That may be the case for some of you, but I don't think I'll have to be worrying about that.

And to some of you others here...

I just laugh at people that have the 'newest' car and every car that went before is now junk. The 'newest' car had better be a better car. If its not better in almost every way the competition's car soon will be. But you are not 'Mustang people' if you bash the previous generations for the sake of making you feel better about your purchase. I for one cannot stand people that have to put down others rides to make them feel better about their own.
Old 12/6/09, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Die hard "Mustang" fans will put up with a lot of diversity in the design. If you don't think so, you should have a look over the history of the Mustang and its various models. There's only been a couple minor points in its long (you reading this you Chevy/MOPAR *****? LONG...as in LONGER THAN YOU) history where owners and fans have been against a change by majority.

I can't believe people are still throwing fits about the tail. Honestly, if that little curve means that much...more than the rest of the car itself...then yes, maybe you shouldn't buy a new one.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Somewhere between the two would have been perfect. I swear, given a Lottery win, I'd get this built...
Yeah, I'm not sure if there's any real plans for Ford to put the "Lee Iacocca" fastback concept into the S197 generations. I wish they would, the couple they did look even more like a classic fastback than the current model. Who knows, maybe after the S197-II's are done. I'd like to see them bring back the full fastback, chrome runners, integrated tailpipes, and maybe an option for those sweet wide-bar Shelby tail-lights.
Old 12/6/09, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

some companies do a midterm makeovers on there design

all i was wondering if Ford would do something like this on the mustang..if not so be it.im not crazy about the rear but i would still buy one.

Quick Reply: You think Ford knows that the Mustang people