Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Yet another IRS Rumor for '10 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/06, 09:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another IRS Rumor for '10 Mustang

Found this interesting tidbit over on Blue Oval News. The poster, from what I've been gathering, is a Ford insider and has had some good info about upcoming products from Ford.

The MKS will be the more "in your face" car. The 3.5 GTTDI will notch things up a bit with AWD as well.

A Mustang based coupe with IRS should arive in 2010. It will have a tuned up 4.6 3V. I think both of these cars should get the Acura and BMW crowd's attention.
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...dpost&p=111806
Old 12/7/06, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It says a Mustang BASED coupe with IRS. Sounds like an article talking about Lincoln cars. Just because they plan to put IRS in the Lincoln version doesn't mean anything about the Ford version.

They've done IRS on the top end Mustang while the rest of Solid axles before.
Old 12/7/06, 03:17 PM

Would be all quite plausible.
  • Expand Stang chassis for better return on investment, economies of scale, etc.
  • Provide Lincoln-Mercury with some desperately needed fresh performance blood and better compete with the upcoming onslaught of RWD cars from DC and GM.
  • IRS would be a necessary ante-in for this class of car (L-M coupe/performance sedan) -- live axles may suffice for Mustang drag racers but would be laughable for any car with Acura/BMW/Infiniti/Lexus class pretenses.
This would also gibe with rumors of Dana Corp expanding production facilities for the Control Blade IRS. Presumably, Ford had pretty much engineered the Stang IRS, but then the parsimonious penny-pinchers got cold feet and spoiled the party.

But now that the competition -- Camaro and Challenger -- will be showing up at the ball sporting proper dance shoes (IRS) rather than work boots (live axle), and all the above considerations, perhaps Ford is reconsidering offering the IRS on hi-po handling-oriented Stangs (Boss, GT 350???).
Old 12/9/06, 06:32 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Seems to me, somebody affiliated with Ford somewhere said that the only real competitive route left to go with was IRS? Its gonna happen, I'm just hoping that the live axle cars will still be around. Matter of fact, You guys can have your AWD/SMG/IRS/self parking hybrid mustang and more power to you, as more me, I'll take the more involved albeit slower car any day since they are just plain more fun.
Old 12/9/06, 01:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't see them ditching the SRA completely.
The one in the 05 is SO well setup... keep it on the lower cars, or at least if the IRS is an option
Old 12/9/06, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
I can't see them ditching the SRA completely.
The one in the 05 is SO well setup... keep it on the lower cars, or at least if the IRS is an option
And look at how fantstic a compromise the GT500 is between ride and handling. Would anyone mind a GT with that kind of comfort, handling, and steering feel?

Eventually IRS will take over, and I wouldn't mind seeing IRS on some higher end models next go-round either, heck I even put IRS on my GT wish list car. But if getting that IRS means the GT would become a 30k car, or that I'd have to sacrifice other possible upgrades like a 6M, more power, telescoping steering wheel, etc. then I'll take the SRA chassis set up much like the GT500 is now thank you.

Everything comes at a cost, and while IRS would be nice on the GT, there are things I would rather have if the implementation of the same is an either-or type scenario.
Old 12/9/06, 02:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think Ford's gonna hold onto SRA, even if its jsut on the low end, as long as possible in order to keep hold on the bottom of the Mustang range's market. All those V6 SRAs are money in the bank, and the Camaro/Challenger/Insert competitor here can't touch 'em.