2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Workaround for memory seats?

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/12, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Banjostang
Typical of this community - OP asks for information on memory seats and the thread devolves into personal attacks.
I have to agree with you there, the maturity level around here lately is disappointing to say the least.

I agree with the OP as well, even though I don't let ANYONE else drive my car.

Like others have said, wash it yourself to save the headache & achieve a much better looking car.
Old 8/5/12, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wash your car yourself i wash mine..i have the same pet peeve
Old 8/5/12, 07:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm curious to know why someone else besides you has to drive it through a car wash? Around here, the attendant directs you onto the track, tells you to put it in neutral and away you go. The driver never leaves the car.
Old 8/5/12, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
I'm curious to know why someone else besides you has to drive it through a car wash? Around here, the attendant directs you onto the track, tells you to put it in neutral and away you go. The driver never leaves the car.
That's a bottom feeder car wash you have there. Sitting in your car while they wash it. Haha

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 8/5/12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 8/5/12, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My last Mustang sat real low in the front and I only took it to a Hand wash place and the owners knew me very well I even gave him a good write up in the local Yelp. So I never had issues with my seat being touched at all. It was the same guy I trusted to drive the car into the rail and out to the lot for polish and drying. With my 2013 I went out and bought everything I need to do it myself. Spent 3 hours on it on this past Saturday. If I do ever take it to a car wash it will be at the same hand wash and will continue to be respected.
Old 8/5/12, 09:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by whoah

If I were you I'd end up going to jail over that.
The worst part was the second after it happened. All the people standing around saying oohh! and looking at each other to see who's car it was and thanking the heavens that it wasn't theirs.

The real anger hit me when the insurance company/body shop told me it was a total out.
Old 8/5/12, 10:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
At this car wash yes you did drive it through the power wash. However, for full detail, the attendant then pulls the car into a port to wax it and detail it. After that, they pull it around and line the cars up as they are completed. This proved to much of a task for the attendant the day I went in,
Attached Images  
Old 8/6/12, 12:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Ultimate solution: memorizing your seat position.

---- i'm talking about the driver, not the seat.

; D
Old 8/6/12, 04:45 AM
GT Member

True, I use this car wash all the time because at night they let you drive through yourself (reasonably priced after 7pm, exterior only). That is exactly why I go there, always at night.
This Saturday I badly had to get a wash during the day, so I asked the attendant to let me stay in the car because I don't want to change the seat position. Only after he swore they would not move anything did I let him take the car over.
Old 8/6/12, 05:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As to the question that was asked, anything is possible. Remove the stock seats and measure the width and length of the rails, as well as the width of the seat back (the stock seat backs are tight against the center console). I would then try heading out to a junkyard and finding a pair of seats that you like with the seat memory buttons on the side, such as a set from a BMW 3 series. These seats appear to be the closest to the Mustang in size. You would then have to have the seat rails from the Mustang put onto the seats of the doner with memory. Getting the leather pr cloth to match the interior of the Mustang would npt be too difficult for an auto apolstory shop. I'm guessing the seat connector(s) underneath will need to be probed with a multi-meter to identify the power and ground for the seat adjustment, as well as the seat belt warning connector. I'm sure these can be modified to work with the doner seats.

As to the clowns at your car wash....find a new car wash. No doubt placing stickers, post-it notes, and tape is only egging on the minimum wage workers there to aggravate you.

Last edited by Bucko; 8/6/12 at 05:08 AM.
Old 8/6/12, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Get a 15 amp toggle switch. Pull the seat out, locate the ground wire, insert toggle switch inline. Fasten toggle switch to a hidden (but easily accessible) location under seat or just lay it on the floor under seat (cover any exposed terminals to prevent shorts).
Old 8/6/12, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Old 8/6/12, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JonW
Get a 15 amp toggle switch. Pull the seat out, locate the ground wire, insert toggle switch inline. Fasten toggle switch to a hidden (but easily accessible) location under seat or just lay it on the floor under seat (cover any exposed terminals to prevent shorts).
Good idea to kill the power seat! It would be funny as heck to watch the car wash attendant attempt to locate the front bar to slide the seat forward, or to watch he/she pressing the button on the side while rocking forward in attempts to get the seat moving.

This won't help the steering wheel adjustment, but it's a start.
Old 8/6/12, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Good idea to kill the power seat! It would be funny as heck to watch the car wash attendant attempt to locate the front bar to slide the seat forward, or to watch he/she pressing the button on the side while rocking forward in attempts to get the seat moving.

This won't help the steering wheel adjustment, but it's a start.
...or watch as he crashes your mustang because he can't reach the pedals properly. That would be awesome.
Old 8/6/12, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
...or watch as he crashes your mustang because he can't reach the pedals properly. That would be awesome.
Then it's a call to Dewy Sueem and How.
Old 8/6/12, 11:51 AM
V6 Member

I pull the fuse for the driver's seat and keep it with the owner’s manual in the glovebox. I don't even want to accidentally move it myself. But I also recorded the position of the seat.

I use an Android app called Gravitometer on my tablet to measure the tilt of the bottom of the seat and the back rest. The car does not even have to be on a level surface. I start the app, put the tablet on the center console/armrest, hit calibrate on the app, then I can use it to measure the angle of the seat and record the values.

Then I just use a tape measure to measure the distance from the clutch to the seat.

Tony
Old 8/6/12, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Geez. All that to get a seat into position? My wife adjusts the seat and rear view mirror after I drive to work, and she takes over to drive herself to work (we car pool).

After 24K on this Mustang, we have managed to get the seat to each others comfort zone daily without memory buttons.

Now it would be a nice feature yes, but so far we are still alive and driving the Mustang daily without it.
The following users liked this post:
ZealousDragon (10/4/17)
Old 8/6/12, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TonyB84
I pull the fuse for the driver's seat and keep it with the owner’s manual in the glovebox. I don't even want to accidentally move it myself. But I also recorded the position of the seat.

I use an Android app called Gravitometer on my tablet to measure the tilt of the bottom of the seat and the back rest. The car does not even have to be on a level surface. I start the app, put the tablet on the center console/armrest, hit calibrate on the app, then I can use it to measure the angle of the seat and record the values.

Then I just use a tape measure to measure the distance from the clutch to the seat.

Tony
I think these are actually pretty cool ideas.. I tried the measuring tape method but gave up to lacking a good reference point. Also, the tilt of the seat is the real killer, I'll try the smartphone method!
Old 8/6/12, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TonyB84

Tony
OMG.. I think someone has to much free time on their hands. Its a car and adjusting your seat should not be rocket science.. And here I thought I was being **** by wanting both seats electric just so they can be adjusted with more ease.. but bajeez this is a whole new level of ****.
Old 8/6/12, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

And while we are being ****, I want it to have cool A/C air blowing up my ****, and speakers in the headset, and it to vibrate when it detects an oncoming car when I back out into traffic.

Wait, there's another car that does all this....too bad it's sticker price is thousands more!!!

Quick Reply: Workaround for memory seats?