2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Why you NEED a full size spare.

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/14 | 08:05 AM

We're a little bit luckier here in Canada regarding a spare tire...it's government mandated that a spare tire is included... mine came with a temp wheel tire combo along with a scissor jack that fits the frame notches behind the wheels, a wheel bar wrench which comes with it's own pocket cover.
Ford also added a plastic card with instructions ( for those that never changed a wheel). The whole thing, wheel/tire, jack and break bar wrench, screws down in the wheel well with a "hook" screw and butterfly over sized wing nut.
Also included is a very funky fuel funnel just in case you need to pour in gas out of a plastic container. I always wondered how this is allowed to happen, seeing you can glance at a fuel gauge and see you're low on fuel,LOL !!!
Never used any of these parts, but sure feels good knowing I have a REAL spare with jack back there, if needed!
All this fits nicely under a reinforced carpet cover offering a smooth trunk bottom, Thank you FORD for a spare!
I would hate driving up to the cottage and picking up a flat...for a good 40 KM, it's a road without any garages between towns, just open country!
Old 4/18/14 | 05:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Not fun. I really changes a nice little (or longer) road trip into a stressful event. Yours seems like it could have been a lot worse especially if you had not kept noticing the low tires. Also no TPMS on those trailers. Sun and weather are not a tires friend. Glad it all worked out for you Wayne, as did mine. I know there are other stories out there. Lets hear them.
One time I bought a used car, checked it over with a fine tooth comb before I bought it from the dealer. Drove it 2 years and NEVER had a problem with it. Then on a long holiday weekend on sunday halfway between BFE and East of Nowhereville I had the usual sounds a tire makes when it goes flat. Ok, &^$&&^%, I pull over, losen the lugs, jack the car up, take off the tire, proceed to put on the spare and THEN and only THEN did I realise I had a BIG problem.......

My car had a 5 lug bearing, and the spare only had 4 holes.

2 hours later the tow truck finally showed up to take me to the nearest hotel since everything was closed.

On a new car I wouldnt worry about it, but on a used one.... Not only check for a spare, but make sure it is the RIGHT spare.
Old 4/18/14 | 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS
We're a little bit luckier here in Canada regarding a spare tire...it's government mandated that a spare tire is included... mine came with a temp wheel tire combo along with a scissor jack that fits the frame notches behind the wheels, a wheel bar wrench which comes with it's own pocket cover.
Ford also added a plastic card with instructions ( for those that never changed a wheel). The whole thing, wheel/tire, jack and break bar wrench, screws down in the wheel well with a "hook" screw and butterfly over sized wing nut.
Also included is a very funky fuel funnel just in case you need to pour in gas out of a plastic container. I always wondered how this is allowed to happen, seeing you can glance at a fuel gauge and see you're low on fuel,LOL !!!
Never used any of these parts, but sure feels good knowing I have a REAL spare with jack back there, if needed!
All this fits nicely under a reinforced carpet cover offering a smooth trunk bottom, Thank you FORD for a spare!
I would hate driving up to the cottage and picking up a flat...for a good 40 KM, it's a road without any garages between towns, just open country!
If a spare is mandated in Canada, what comes in the trunk of a Canadian Brembo package Mustang? AFIK Ford did not make a spare that fit.
Old 4/19/14 | 12:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not fun. I really changes a nice little (or longer) road trip into a stressful event. Yours seems like it could have been a lot worse especially if you had not kept noticing the low tires. Also no TPMS on those trailers. Sun and weather are not a tires friend. Glad it all worked out for you Wayne, as did mine. I know there are other stories out there. Lets hear them.

The trip could have turned into a major disaster if it had happened after I picked up the car. I found out later from the trailer dealer that the trailer manufacturer buys wheels and tires in bulk and they can sit around for awhile before actually being installed on a trailer. I special ordered this trailer so it was brand new when I got it.

Kind of off topic, but this is the same trip that I discovered that GPS and tunnels don't mix very well. We were driving my fiancée's 2003 Ford Super duty four door 4x4 with a 4" lift pulling my 18' trailer. We were coming into NYC on interstate 495 which goes through the Lincoln tunnel. As soon as we entered the tunnel, the GPS quit working. Traffic was bumper to bumper. As we were about to exit the Lincoln tunnel, I discovered I was in the wrong lane to continue on 495. The lane I was stuck in ended up going into NYC onto 34th street. The other problem was that it wasn't long before it was going to be dark out.

Talk about freaking out. I had been to NYC quite a few times before since I'm originally from NY and had always told myself that I would never drive in that city since people drive like maniacs and the traffic is crazy. I just knew I was going to hit someone or be hit driving this large truck and trailer in a city like this. The GPS was still not working correctly because of all of the tall buildings. I finally was able to find my way back to Interstate 495 but I was a nervous wreck by that time. Plus having four kids yelling in the back seat didn't help. I'm just glad I discovered my tire issues before I accidently diverted into NYC.

Wayne
Old 4/19/14 | 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 88lx50
If a spare is mandated in Canada, what comes in the trunk of a Canadian Brembo package Mustang? AFIK Ford did not make a spare that fit.
No idea, but a friend of mine just bought a 2014 GT with I think, the Brembo package, so I will ask him that very same question...for his sake, I hope his came with a full spare wheel, but maybe a tire inflation kit was supplied with it... I'll let you know.
Old 4/19/14 | 07:26 AM

No idea, but a friend of mine just bought a 2014 GT with I think, the Brembo package, so I will ask him that very same question...for his sake, I hope his came with a full spare wheel, but maybe a tire inflation kit was supplied with it... I'll let you know.
My 2014 GT with GT brake performance package delivered in March 2014 came with the tire inflation kit.
Brian
Old 4/19/14 | 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fordsaregr8
My 2014 GT with GT brake performance package delivered in March 2014 came with the tire inflation kit. Brian
In Ontario? Hmm, isn't that illegal per Canadian laws though?
Old 4/19/14 | 09:03 AM

Guess they were able to work around that law somehow...Im just glad I have a full spare wheel/tire combo in my trunk
Old 4/19/14 | 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Guess they were able to work around that law somehow...Im just glad I have a full spare wheel/tire combo in my trunk
I hear ya. I bought my 03 with Cobra R Brembos and the previous owner never swapped the spare out from the 15" GT one to the 17" Cobra one. It was one of the first mods I did! And I live in a heavily populated area with AAA as my backup. Still, I've taken some long trips in that car and I didn't want to be stranded for hours, waiting for a tow truck.
Old 4/19/14 | 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Unfortunately, I495 does not really go through Manhattan. You have to take the streets to get to the Midtown tunnel and continue on your way through Queens.
I live here in the outer boroughs and I hate driving in Manhattan. I am going to the auto show this week and taking the ferry to the train.

Originally Posted by 70monte
The trip could have turned into a major disaster if it had happened after I picked up the car. I found out later from the trailer dealer that the trailer manufacturer buys wheels and tires in bulk and they can sit around for awhile before actually being installed on a trailer. I special ordered this trailer so it was brand new when I got it.

Kind of off topic, but this is the same trip that I discovered that GPS and tunnels don't mix very well. We were driving my fiancée's 2003 Ford Super duty four door 4x4 with a 4" lift pulling my 18' trailer. We were coming into NYC on interstate 495 which goes through the Lincoln tunnel. As soon as we entered the tunnel, the GPS quit working. Traffic was bumper to bumper. As we were about to exit the Lincoln tunnel, I discovered I was in the wrong lane to continue on 495. The lane I was stuck in ended up going into NYC onto 34th street. The other problem was that it wasn't long before it was going to be dark out.

Talk about freaking out. I had been to NYC quite a few times before since I'm originally from NY and had always told myself that I would never drive in that city since people drive like maniacs and the traffic is crazy. I just knew I was going to hit someone or be hit driving this large truck and trailer in a city like this. The GPS was still not working correctly because of all of the tall buildings. I finally was able to find my way back to Interstate 495 but I was a nervous wreck by that time. Plus having four kids yelling in the back seat didn't help. I'm just glad I discovered my tire issues before I accidently diverted into NYC.

Wayne
Old 5/13/14 | 09:36 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Originally Posted by lajntx
One time I bought a used car, checked it over with a fine tooth comb before I bought it from the dealer. Drove it 2 years and NEVER had a problem with it. Then on a long holiday weekend on sunday halfway between BFE and East of Nowhereville I had the usual sounds a tire makes when it goes flat. Ok, &^$&&^%, I pull over, losen the lugs, jack the car up, take off the tire, proceed to put on the spare and THEN and only THEN did I realise I had a BIG problem.......

My car had a 5 lug bearing, and the spare only had 4 holes.

2 hours later the tow truck finally showed up to take me to the nearest hotel since everything was closed.

On a new car I wouldnt worry about it, but on a used one.... Not only check for a spare, but make sure it is the RIGHT spare.

That is really worse than not having one. At least I knew I was in trouble. You just got a BIG surprise and a very long wait.
Old 5/13/14 | 10:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I just keep my platinum CAA membership up to date!
Old 5/14/14 | 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

nice to hear that your car made it back safe and sound without any real damage to the car(aside from the tire). its too bad, the tire is brand new!

As for keeping that as a spare? I'm not sure that its wise. just imagine if you get a flat, and you've used that as a spare and then that tire decides to give out on you as well. Now you've got two massive wheels with you that are flat, just adding to your stress while possibly on the road..... could just make matters worst. Sorry, my 2 cents. I have the tendency to look at the glass half empty. replacing that tire before actually reserving it as a spare seems like the best case scenario for you.
Old 5/14/14 | 10:27 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
nice to hear that your car made it back safe and sound without any real damage to the car(aside from the tire). its too bad, the tire is brand new!

As for keeping that as a spare? I'm not sure that its wise. just imagine if you get a flat, and you've used that as a spare and then that tire decides to give out on you as well. Now you've got two massive wheels with you that are flat, just adding to your stress while possibly on the road..... could just make matters worst. Sorry, my 2 cents. I have the tendency to look at the glass half empty. replacing that tire before actually reserving it as a spare seems like the best case scenario for you.
Good advice. I have my concerns about trusting that tire. I am pretty sure I will be getting another new one to replace it soon. But, for right now it rides in the trunk, just in case...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 1/16/15 at 09:20 PM.
Old 5/15/14 | 12:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Good advice. I have my concerns about trusting that tire. I am pretty sure I will be getting another new one to replace it soon. But, for right now it rides in the trunck, just in case...
Aww, what's the hurry anyway? Why worry? What could possibly go wrong?
Old 5/15/14 | 06:40 PM

We're a little bit luckier here in Canada regarding a spare tire...it's government mandated that a spare tire is included...
If that's true, it's news to Ford.

My 2012 Performance Package V6 (w 19's) only has an inflation kit too.
Old 5/16/14 | 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

We're a little bit luckier here in Canada regarding a spare tire...it's government mandated that a spare tire is included... ...................

yeah - you're supposed to use this funnel to avoid damaging your tankless gas cap while filling up with a gas can. i read the fin print in one of fords manuals and that's what it said....
Old 5/16/14 | 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

So does a 18" full size tire fit in the spare wheel well? I have the brembo brakes on mine too, but worse case is I can take one of the rear tires off and move it to the front if needed and put the spare on the rear.
Old 5/16/14 | 12:38 PM
Cobra R Member

I guess I'm in the minority in that I don't want a spare. I'd rarely use it, anyways. If I'm in any remotely civilized area I just prefer to get a tow truck, or get a ride to the nearest tire shop and have it fixed. It's extremely rare that I'm in a situation where a spare would be useful to me.

I have zero desire to be changing a tire on the side of a busy road. Nothing is that important to get to.
Old 5/16/14 | 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your point is well taken, Joey, but I for one don't care to be at anyone else's mercy or feel like I have to call for help to do a job I'm capable of handling. Besides, Murphy's Law always makes that tire go flat when you're WAY out in the boonies with no cell phone reception and nightfall coming on. I carry a full-size spare.

Remember what happened when Clark Griswald took the Family Truckster airborn out in the desert?
"What do I owe You?"
"How much you got?"

Quick Reply: Why you NEED a full size spare.