The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Where does the 2013 GT 5.0 get the extra 8 horsepower? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/where-does-2013-gt-5-0-get-extra-8-horsepower-502086/)

Overboost 2/5/12 06:28 PM

This thread has gone nowhere. Closing until the real info is out for everyone to see.

blackgt87 3/8/12 12:11 PM

No More Oil Squirters

Did they do away with oil squirters on the coyotes?

A friend just told me they got rid of them mid 2012 and that some people think they went to forged pistons.

If thats true I wonder if its the same as a boss, and what rods they have.

cinque35 3/8/12 12:34 PM

maybe this is the extra 8 hp :lol2:
what ever happened to that thread?.. oh yeah it was viciously locked

montreal ponies 3/8/12 12:50 PM

Never heard anything of that content.

Kobrag 3/8/12 12:51 PM

I kind want to know how that little bump of hp came from.

Overboost hear anything?

blackgt87 3/8/12 01:02 PM

I read it was "derived from the boss engine", maybe the windage drag of the oil being squirt on the bottom of the piston is worth 8hp?

Would they delete the squirters and leave the pistons alone?

montreal ponies 3/8/12 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kobrag (Post 6275666)
I kind want to know how that little bump of hp came from.

It may just be coming from a revised tune.

jlmounce 3/8/12 01:26 PM

The 8 hp is likely a marketing gimmick.

Manufacturers are allowed to market HP within 1% of the actual tested number via the SAE government standards.

The engine likely makes around 416 hp which gives you a swing of 8 hp to work with. Market the car on the low end early in its production run. Then when you make some more changes as a mid-year, market on the higher end. All perfectly legal. I think you'll find that the 2013 cars dyno

Claiming the engineers *only got 8 hp* out of the standard coyote from what they learned developing the road runner engine is crazy. Especially considering the road runner itself is not really different in any huge way except for stronger equipment and a CNC ported head. It makes over 30hp more.

About the oil squirter comment, I haven't heard anything like that. Anything is possible, but I doubt it. The boss doesn't have them because of the forged pistons and the fact that the windage caused by the system does limit rpm potential.

My guess is that somebody either saw a boss engine without the squirters or a modified coyote with block-offs and assumed ford was changing that.

That's of course all assumptions and anything is possible. If I remember correctly though the 2013 buyers guide posted in this section does state the squirters are still there.

EDIT: Yup, here it is. https://themustangsource.com/attachm...mustang_sb.pdf

Page 11 discussing the 5.0 TiVCT engine, piston cooling jets are still listed.

Kobrag 3/8/12 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jlmounce (Post 6275701)
The 8 hp is likely a marketing gimmick.

Manufacturers are allowed to market HP within 1% of the actual tested number via the SAE government standards.

The engine likely makes around 416 hp which gives you a swing of 8 hp to work with. Market the car on the low end early in its production run. Then when you make some more changes as a mid-year, market on the higher end. All perfectly legal. I think you'll find that the 2013 cars dyno

Claiming the engineers *only got 8 hp* out of the standard coyote from what they learned developing the road runner engine is crazy. Especially considering the road runner itself is not really different in any huge way except for stronger equipment and a CNC ported head. It makes over 30hp more.

About the oil squirter comment, I haven't heard anything like that. Anything is possible, but I doubt it. The boss doesn't have them because of the forged pistons and the fact that the windage caused by the system does limit rpm potential.

My guess is that somebody either saw a boss engine without the squirters or a modified coyote with block-offs and assumed ford was changing that.

That's of course all assumptions and anything is possible. If I remember correctly though the 2013 buyers guide posted in this section does state the squirters are still there.

EDIT: Yup, here it is. https://themustangsource.com/attachm...mustang_sb.pdf

Page 11 discussing the 5.0 TiVCT engine, piston cooling jets are still listed.

where you hear this marketing gimmick we have already heard from people on the forums that they did change something but haven't released or might not release what they did. this isn't Chevy now -.-.

Mustangfreak 3/8/12 02:10 PM

Can we get back on topic instead of arguing about a **** measly 8HP from an underrated motor??

Jesus.

cinque35 3/8/12 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak (Post 6275719)
Can we get back on topic instead of arguing about a **** measly 8HP from an underrated motor??

what's the difference.. no one knows the answer to the topic either :poke:

Kobrag 3/8/12 02:19 PM

Chill out the horsepower number means nothing but people want to know if they changed something with the internals.also it still has piston cooling jets from page 11 of the 2013 mustang esource.

jlmounce 3/8/12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kobrag (Post 6275706)
where you hear this marketing gimmick we have already heard from people on the forums that they did change something but haven't released or might not release what they did. this isn't Chevy now -.-.

Wait, let me get this straight. I'm completely wrong for posting up a possibility on how that 8 hp was derived from, but people stating things have changed with no tangible proof and a statement of "Ford might not release that" are somehow more believable?

I'm not saying I'm right, but it's a possibility.

I didn't "hear" from a source that it's a marketing gimmick, but given the numbers involved it sure does seem to fit pretty well in to how the government mandates testing and marketing of engine power outputs.

To think that Ford, doesn't play marketing games is pretty naive. To get the nations hard-earned dollars, you better believe that every auto-manufacturer does. Why do you think there's all kinds of fine print at the bottom of all those advertisements? :poke:

Kobrag 3/8/12 02:27 PM

Yes every company uses marketing gimmicks, I never said ford doesn't use them.
Yes you could be right they could of just said f it lets make it a round hp number, but i see no point why they would put they got it from the roadrunner program.
We both will not know what they did or did not do, from everything I have read from the past few months I do think they changed something small and revised the tune accordingly.

Sorry if it came off a little blunt

RaceRed12 3/8/12 05:25 PM

Page 38 of 5.0 mustangs and super fords latest issue "production change during the 12 model year eliminated the piston cooling oil jets in the coyote engine?"

Yes they finished it with a question mark. As a 2012 GT owner I would like to know if this is true and when it happened.

jlmounce 3/8/12 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RaceRed12 (Post 6275889)
Page 38 of 5.0 mustangs and super fords latest issue "production change during the 12 model year eliminated the piston cooling oil jets in the coyote engine?"

Yes they finished it with a question mark. As a 2012 GT owner I would like to know if this is true and when it happened.

Ford's official communication to the dealers for the 2013 model indicates the jets are still in place. The change never happened.

That's not to say other changes weren't made. Manufacturers continuously refine their products and there likely have been production changes over the course of the coyote motor's inception.

mycroft 3/8/12 06:24 PM

The math above checks out. The rule is SAE +/- 1%. If your engine dynos at 416, subtract 4 (1%) to be conservative for 2011 = 412. Add 4 (1%) for 2013 = 420. There's no mystery, I know for a fact that they didn't change anything.

Squirters are still in place last time I had a discussion about the coyote.

Rather B.Blown 3/8/12 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mycroft (Post 6275957)
The math above checks out. The rule is SAE +/- 1%. If your engine dynos at 416, subtract 4 (1%) to be conservative for 2011 = 412. Add 4 (1%) for 2013 = 420. There's no mystery, I know for a fact that they didn't change anything.

:popcorn:

MARZ 3/8/12 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mycroft (Post 6275957)

With whom did you have said discussion regarding the Coyote and whether or not it retains its oil squirters for 2013? They must be pretty high up for you to, "know for a fact." So, are there any internal changes at all inside the 2013's 420-horse Coyote?

jlmounce 3/8/12 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ (Post 6275971)
With whom did you have said discussion regarding the Coyote and whether or not it retains its oil squirters for 2013? They must be pretty high up for you to, "know for a fact." So, are there any internal changes at all inside the 2013's 420-horse Coyote?

Please read all the responses of a thread before commenting on it. The information about the 2013's having oil squirters is posted several posts up and can be found in the pinned section of this forum itself.

"If" there was a change for the 2013's, it's likely tuning related and not anything within the engine itself.

I seriously doubt it though. In the past every time Ford bumped power on it's mustang line-up, they were very specific about what changes were made. For instance, the head redesign from 97-98 and then again from 98-99/04. Again head redesign in 05 and new VCT technology. Other examples include the current Powerstroke powered Super Duties. When Chevy put out their new Duramax with more torque, Ford specifically stated they'd reworked the ECU for more power and even went as far as to tell current owners to bring their trucks in and they'd do a reflash.

Now we get an 8 hp bump with a vague statement about "lessons learned developing the roadrunner." If there were actual changes to the engine that created this extra power, Ford would let it's dealers and customers know, much like they have in the past. Or heck, put their engineers on video like they have with the GT500 just recently. I see no reason why that would change for the 2013 GT.

While I can't personally prove it, the math is too perfect for this to be anything but a marketing strategy in my mind.